Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

choke or primer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

Hi all. I got the mouse nest out of my tube, cleaned up the corrosion, finished my annual inspection and re-mounted my Rotax after Gerry Olenik from Green Sky Adventures did some maintenance on it for me. I have seen several brag on him so I will also brag. He did a great job, was very knowledgeable and helpful.

With the help of a friend we determined that my choke has not been closing all the way. If I manually move the cable back where it splits into the two cables it'll close and run fine. My friend suggested doing away with the choke and just using a priming system. I've gotten used to the choke and am thinking perhaps I could just replace the cables.

P.S. Gave my dad a quick ride around the pattern and he LOVED it of course. What fun!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,

I removed the choke on my 503 a few years ago and have been using just the primer, without any difficulty. However, I did read somewhere that you can troubleshoot your engine via the choke (don't remember the details) so am not sure if I did the wisest thing - although, as I said, it's been fine for several years and several hundred hours without it.

Arty Trost
Sandy, Oregon
Maxair Drifter

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."
--- On Wed, 12/10/08, cristalclear13 <cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: choke or primer
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 2:39 PM

"cristalclear13"
<cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com>

Hi all. I got the mouse nest out of my tube, cleaned up
the corrosion, finished my annual inspection and re-mounted
my Rotax after Gerry Olenik from Green Sky Adventures did
some maintenance on it for me. I have seen several brag on
him so I will also brag. He did a great job, was very
knowledgeable and helpful.

With the help of a friend we determined that my choke has
not been closing all the way. If I manually move the cable
back where it splits into the two cables it'll close and
run fine. My friend suggested doing away with the choke and
just using a priming system. I've gotten used to the
choke and am thinking perhaps I could just replace the
cables.

P.S. Gave my dad a quick ride around the pattern and he
LOVED it of course. What fun!

--------
Cristal Waters
Kolb Mark II Twinstar
Rotax 503 DCSI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 18755#218755

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ropermike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: choke or primer Reply with quote

I have farmed and ranched for 28 years and dealt with a lot of troublesome small gas engines. I have kept a lot of those engines running (momentarily) using the choke, at least, I can determine if the problem is fuel starvation.... If my 503 ever starts coughing and running rough during flight, one option would be is to choke the engine slightly. It might work and get you to a safe landing spot. You can also diagnose fuel mixture problems with it....You may be able to do the same thing with the primer but I havnt tried it.....Just my thoughts on the matter.

lucien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: choke or primer Reply with quote

ropermike wrote:
I have farmed and ranched for 28 years and dealt with a lot of troublesome small gas engines. I have kept a lot of those engines running (momentarily) using the choke, at least, I can determine if the problem is fuel starvation.... If my 503 ever starts coughing and running rough during flight, one option would be is to choke the engine slightly. It might work and get you to a safe landing spot. You can also diagnose fuel mixture problems with it....You may be able to do the same thing with the primer but I havnt tried it.....Just my thoughts on the matter.

You can with the primer and it's the same troubleshooting process. You can hit the primer with the engine running to enrichen the mixture in the same way as activating the chokes.

The primer is the way to go. The cost is just the extra small tubing you have to run to the carburettors, the plunger and the fuel pickup, but it eliminates the cabling and etc. associated with the chokes. The primer generally leads to quicker starting as well, one shot of gas and usually the motor starts on the first pull of the rope....

LS

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

You can hit the primer with the engine running to enrichen the mixture in
the same way as activating the chokes.
>
Quote:
LS

Lucien:

I can't find my chokes. Don't think I have them on Bing carbs, two or four
stroke.

john h
mkIII - Waiting on the snow, soon as New Orleans and St Francisville, LA,
finish with it. John B: Got your snow shovel handy?

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: choke or primer Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Lucien:

I can't find my chokes. Don't think I have them on Bing carbs, two or four
stroke.

john h
mkIII - Waiting on the snow, soon as New Orleans and St Francisville, LA,
finish with it. John B: Got your snow shovel handy?

Er, you are kidding, right? Wink.

Technically, our bings have enrichener circuits instead of the chokes of yore that just had a butterfly that closed off the venturi.

I have to admit to not having had much trouble with the enricheners on the 2-stroke bings. The original builder of my FSII used them and after I bought the plane I never saw the need to eliminate it in favor of a primer. That engine had the clutch, tho, so it was a lot easier to start anyway...

My 912uls fires up fairly quickly with the enricheners unless it's really cold. The system works pretty good...

LS

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,
I think i would fix the enrichener's what you called the choke. On my firestar with the 503 i disabled the enrichener's and use a primer and it starts and works fine. But some of the primers including the one I am using is of poor construction and not up to general aviation standards, I had to replace my primer as the old one was leaking a that meant to me it could be causing a air leak which you do not want in the suction line on your gas line. So if I was to do it again I would use the enrichener's (choke) and not the primer for that reason and because engine temps are so critical on a 2 cly in case of high temps one could use the enricher to lower the temps until the problem was cured. So i would rebuild the enrichener's and make sure they were closing correctly. just my 2 cents worth... jim SWAN

do not archive
jim swan FS ll 503
michigan

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite lcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010">Try it now.

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

In cold weather the 503 required 4 hard pulls to light off with enrichener only.With 1 full shot of prime and enrichener,it fired and stayed running on the first pull.Even in mild weather that was the case.On the Firestar,the primer was located on the fuel pump mounting angle below the pump,which required only a few inches of primer line but was obviously out of reach from the cockpit,but the enrichener was right where it was in the plans, above and slightly behind your left shoulder.There are some good reasons to keep all your options open in my opinion.
Welcome to Fla.Nielsons

--

beauford

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

On the Bing enrichment circuit:

The small enrichment piston which is raised by either a lever on the carb, or by a cable to a remote
"choke" lever has a small nitrile rubber insert set in a cavity in the base. The rubber insert will gradually
deteriorate and deform with age, thereby allowing additional (excessive) fuel to leak through the enrichment circuit and dump into the engine.

This occurs gradually over many hours and may not be detected until excessive carbon shows up in the top end
of the engine, possibly causing stuck rings and potentially serious problems.

Some of you Listers may recall Beauford's fun with this problem in the Nazi 447 a few years back... In my ignorance about what was happening, I ended up chasing back and forth with metering rod adjustments, jetting changes,
fouled plugs, etc.... I had repeatedly checked the enrichment piston's function, verifying that it was bottoming into the seat properly...the problem was that the rubber insert had receded up into the base of the thing and I did not notice it. because it looked fine...the rubber was not obviously cracked or split.

Long story, short... The guys over at Lockwood took one look and immediately diagnosed the problem...said that they had seen a number of Rotax 2-strokes trashed with this... and that the Bing enrichment piston ought to be replacd every 2 years or so as a matter of routine maintenance....especially with PREMIXED fuel which attacked the nitrile faster than straight gas... One can only wonder what the ethanol is doing to these things. As I recall, the part cost under $10.... which was certainly substantially less than the two new pistons I had to buy after the carbon had seized the rings...

I now keep an extra enrichment piston on hand...

...worth what ye paid fer it...

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

> Technically, our bings have enrichener circuits instead of the chokes of
yore that just had a butterfly that closed off the venturi.
Quote:

I have to admit to not having had much trouble with the enricheners on the
2-stroke bings. The original builder of my FSII used them and after I
bought the plane I never saw the need to eliminate it in favor of a
primer. That engine had the clutch, tho, so it was a lot easier to start
anyway...

My 912uls fires up fairly quickly with the enricheners unless it's really
cold. The system works pretty good...

LS

Lucien:

Yes, they call them chokes because that is what they do.

Enricheners work on the same principle as the primer. There is an enricher
well and enricher jet located in the float bowl. Important to insure the
throttle is on the idle stop. Enricher full open. When the engine turns
over, it sucks in the charge of fuel stored in the enricher well. From
there on the engine is running off the enricher circuit through the enricher
jet.

If operated correctly, the enricher system on Bing carbs works well for two
and four stroke Rotax engines. I have operated the 912 series engines in
the Arctic at temps well below freezing with success. It also takes a hot
battery to turn the engine over to start.

Big problem with the two stroke Bings is the plunger style system they use
to control the enricher. After they get some age on them, they will leak,
causing an over rich condition without the operator realizing it. It is an
easy fix to remove and replace with new parts to correct the problem.

I prefer the enricher over primer. Primers introduce more plumbing,
carrying fuel, especially in the area of the cockpit.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: choke or primer Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Lucien:

Yes, they call them chokes because that is what they do.

Enricheners work on the same principle as the primer. There is an enricher
well and enricher jet located in the float bowl. Important to insure the
throttle is on the idle stop. Enricher full open. When the engine turns
over, it sucks in the charge of fuel stored in the enricher well. From
there on the engine is running off the enricher circuit through the enricher
jet.

If operated correctly, the enricher system on Bing carbs works well for two
and four stroke Rotax engines. I have operated the 912 series engines in
the Arctic at temps well below freezing with success. It also takes a hot
battery to turn the engine over to start.

Big problem with the two stroke Bings is the plunger style system they use
to control the enricher. After they get some age on them, they will leak,
causing an over rich condition without the operator realizing it. It is an
easy fix to remove and replace with new parts to correct the problem.

I prefer the enricher over primer. Primers introduce more plumbing,
carrying fuel, especially in the area of the cockpit.

Take care,

john h
mkIII[/quote]

A bit of trivia on the enrichener for parties..... If you need to replace a float bowl, be sure to order the jet as well or save the old jet from the old bowl. Just ordering the bowl and you get the bowl with no jet in it.

The enrichener circuit works WAY too well without the jet. You can probably guess why I know this but I'm not going to admit anything anyway......

In any case, I've used both the primer system and the stock enrichener systems for many years and both are very trouble free and work very well.

The only concern I've ever had with the primer is a leaking primer plunger. This can result in extra gas getting into the carburettors just like when the rubber stoppers fail on the 2-stroke carbs.

Which I use simply depends on which is easier to deal with on that particular plane.

On the 912 the enricheners are the only choice, I believe. Mine work perfectly so far even in temps as low as 10F.......

LS

Dana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

This discussion of the choke (enrichener) raises an interesting question.

As others have pointed out, the enrichener is sometimes used as a
diagnostic tool, to see if the engine's running lean (or correct it if it
is). However, the enrichener also supposedly is only effective near
idle... so will it have any significant effect at cruise or max throttle?

I have a plunger primer and it works great, but I've considered adding a
remote cable to the choke for inflight emergency or diagnostic use... now
I'm not so sure...

-Dana
--
We are sorry, you have reached an imaginary number.
Please rotate your phone ninety degrees and try again.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

> However, the enrichener also supposedly is only effective near
Quote:
idle... so will it have any significant effect at cruise or max throttle?
>

Quote:
-Dana

Dana:

The primary reason for starting the engine with the throttle closed is to
have maximum suction to pull the initial charge out of the enrichener well.
If the throttle is opened above idle, on start up, it doesn't do a good job
of scavenging the fuel out of the well.

At cruise rpm, if the enrichener is opened, there is more than enough
suction to pull the charge out of the well, then run richer from the extra
fuel being drawn from the enrichener jet.

Clear as mud, huh?

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Dana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

At 09:57 PM 12/11/2008, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:
At cruise rpm, if the enrichener is opened, there is more than enough
suction to pull the charge out of the well, then run richer from the extra
fuel being drawn from the enrichener jet.

Clear as mud, huh?

Quite clear... I should have thought of that.

-Dana (brain dead tonight trying to fix a Vista printing problem...)
--
Please return stewardess to original upright position.

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

the enrichener works at any engine speed

--

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: choke or primer Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="beauford"]On the Bing enrichment circuit:

The small enrichment piston which is raised by either a lever on the carb, or by a cable to a remote
"choke" lever has a small nitrile rubber insert set in a cavity in the base. The rubber insert will gradually
deteriorate and deform with age, thereby allowing additional (excessive) fuel to leak through the enrichment circuit and dump into the engine.

This occurs gradually over many hours and may not be detected until excessive carbon shows up in the top end
of the engine, possibly causing stuck rings and potentially serious problems.

Some of you Listers may recall Beauford's fun with this problem in the Nazi 447 a few years back... In my ignorance about what was happening, I ended up chasing back and forth with metering rod adjustments, jetting changes,
fouled plugs, etc.... I had repeatedly checked the enrichment piston's function, verifying that it was bottoming into the seat properly...the problem was that the rubber insert had receded up into the base of the thing and I did not notice it. because it looked fine...the rubber was not obviously cracked or split.

Long story, short... The guys over at Lockwood took one look and immediately diagnosed the problem...said that they had seen a number of Rotax 2-strokes trashed with this... and that the Bing enrichment piston ought to be replacd every 2 years or so as a matter of routine maintenance....especially with PREMIXED fuel which attacked the nitrile faster than straight gas... One can only wonder what the ethanol is doing to these things. As I recall, the part cost under $10.... which was certainly substantially less than the two new pistons I had to buy after the carbon had seized the rings...

I now keep an extra enrichment piston on hand...

...worth what ye paid fer it...

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

---

Beauford,
Is there a website or article in the CPS catalogue that talks about replacing the parts you are talking about (or did you just get the information by word of mouth from Lockwood)? I would like to read more about it. Can you look at your old receipts and tell me what part(s) I would need to order?

All,
We got my choke cables working correctly now. The choke wasn't stuck on...it was never opened. There was a washer (that prevented the cable housing from sliding into the metal tube) that hadn't been replaced when we put everything back together. (But this doesn't help me solve the mystery of the excessive smoking when we first started it up...but that could be another thread on the forum.)

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

(But this doesn't help me solve the mystery of the excessive smoking when
we first started it up...but that could be another thread on the forum.)
> --------
Quote:
Cristal Waters

Cristal:

Two strokes tend to load up with excessive oil in the crank case when run
slowly for long periods of time. As soon as rpm is increased, it will clear
it out, along with a lot of smoke.

Another reason not to let a two stroke idle any longer than necessary.
Another reason the run a two stroke in the power band and not lug them down
at lower rpm.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

John- Considering that taxiing and parking may involve low engine speeds, what would be an appropriate shut-down procedure?

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

Bill:

I don't know.

I'd keep low engine speeds to a minimum though.

What does your operators manual say?

john h
mkIII

[quote]
John- Considering that taxiing and parking may involve low engine speeds, what would be an appropriate shut-down procedure?

Bill Sullivan
Quote:
[b]

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: choke or primer Reply with quote

John- I didn't look it up. I thought maybe you had some tricks. Mine used to load up, presumably because of the extended low rpm running time. I am going to have mine overhauled before re-installing, as I don't know the true hours on it.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
39 degrees at noon, 61 yesterday

do not archive
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: