Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thrust line?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heisan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Thrust line? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I will soon be the owner of a partially complete HDS kit, and am busy engine shopping.

I have found an 80hp AeroVee engine that was removed from a HD. It flew the aircraft reasonably well, but take-off performance was really bad.

I was considering buying the engine and fitting a reduction drive and in flight adjustable Ivo Prop to make the most out of the engine.

Now the question is, how sensitive is the HDS to thrust line? I can keep the existing engine mount, which will move the thrust line up 130mm (5") from the standard position, or I can invest a bit more in a new engine mount.

I see from the photo's on Zeniths website that there is at least one HD out there with a redrive and a high thrust line, so it can't be all bad?

If anybody knows how good/bad a 130mm higher thrust line will be, I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Justin

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Thrust line? Reply with quote

Hi Heisan,
I'd reconsider the 80-hp AeroVee on the HDS. 80-hp is marginal on the
wing area of the HDS where the HD would only be adequate.
I've a Subaru which delivers 100 hp and an a friends HD with the same
engine setup could out climb the HDS making my aircraft feel
completely anemic. I could go faster, but climb with 80-hp in an HDS
isn't a good thing unless you intend to keep it under 650 lbs empty.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

heisan wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

I will soon be the owner of a partially complete HDS kit, and am busy engine shopping.

I have found an 80hp AeroVee engine that was removed from a HD. It flew the aircraft reasonably well, but take-off performance was really bad.

I was considering buying the engine and fitting a reduction drive and in flight adjustable Ivo Prop to make the most out of the engine.

Now the question is, how sensitive is the HDS to thrust line? I can keep the existing engine mount, which will move the thrust line up 130mm (5") from the standard position, or I can invest a bit more in a new engine mount.

I see from the photo's on Zeniths website that there is at least one HD out there with a redrive and a high thrust line, so it can't be all bad?

If anybody knows how good/bad a 130mm higher thrust line will be, I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Justin

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 18844#218844

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jeyoung65(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Thrust line? Reply with quote

Justin, I would not move the thrust line up 5" without changing engine mount. It will change you aircraft stability. I do not know where the CG (that POINT were the aircarft will hang level on a string) is on a HDS. I think it is just below the thrust line so you would be moving it above the CG. Jerry of GA

In a message dated 12/11/2008 3:36:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, justin(at)expertron.co.za writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "heisan" <justin(at)expertron.co.za>

Hi all,

Thanks,
Justin

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=218844#218844

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail=emlcntaolcom00000019">The NEW AOL.com.
[quote][b]

heisan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust line? Reply with quote

I am a bit worried about that. My empty weight should be well under 300lbs though. Also, the VP prop will allow me to climb at max continuous RPM (3400), so it will climb a lot better than a stock 80hp setup.

The problem with the subies is the price. I have gotten quotes from RAM and Stratus, and both were ridiculous - once shipping and duties are added, they cost substantially more than a brand new 120hp Jab!

The only cost effective engine I can lay my hands on is the VW.

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust line? Reply with quote

heisan wrote:

Check out a corvair. www.flycorvair.com

heisan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust line? Reply with quote

Gig Giacona wrote:
heisan wrote:

Check out a corvair. www.flycorvair.com

WW hasn't responded to any of my emails, but I am chatting to the guys at Aeromax now.

Spares are a problem though, as no corvair cars were ever sold in South Africa, so all spares need to be imported. Cost is also very high for what you get (only 20% cheaper than a Jab 3300).

I really want to pust that 120hp Jabiru in, but just can't afford it...

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Thrust line? Reply with quote

You might want to consider obtaining or building a set of HD wings for
your airplane, that will significantly improve climb rate with
whatever engine you put in it. You will lose some speed but that will
just give you more time to enjoy the flight. Smile

As I recall, the 601HD was originally designed around a 65 HP engine,
so if you can actually get 80 HP out of a VW conversion and your
density altitude isn't too bad, you should do OK. Fight the urge to
add any unnecessary accessories, keep that empty weight down.

Quote:

<justin(at)expertron.co.za>

I am a bit worried about that. My empty weight should be well under
300lbs though. Also, the VP prop will allow me to climb at max
continuous RPM (3400), so it will climb a lot better than a stock
80hp setup.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: