Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corvair Intake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Homebuilers are nothing if not ingenious and adaptable, so I bring this to youse. I need an idea.........I'm having a tough time trying to bend some 1-1/8 aluminum tubing to make the intakes on the Corvair heads. So far, I've fabricated the flanges, but bending the tubing into tight 90 degree curves has me stuck. My local muffler shops have tried, but without the exact size blocks, they can't get the bends right without crushing the bend somewhere. I've looked for conduit benders, but none are the right size. As a fallback I've thought about using a wall pipe from Ace Hardware's plumbing department, (pretty chrome) but it's thin wall brass, and likely to crack from the vibration. Any ideas? How'd everybody else do it?

Thanks,
Paul Rodriguez
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Homebuilers are nothing if not ingenious and adaptable, so I bring this to youse. I need an idea.........I'm having a tough time trying to bend some 1-1/8 aluminum tubing to make the intakes on the Corvair heads. So far, I've fabricated the flanges, but bending the tubing into tight 90 degree curves has me stuck. My local muffler shops have tried, but without the exact size blocks, they can't get the bends right without crushing the bend somewhere. I've looked for conduit benders, but none are the right size. As a fallback I've thought about using a wall pipe from Ace Hardware's plumbing department, (pretty chrome) but it's thin wall brass, and likely to crack from the vibration. Any ideas? How'd everybody else do it?

Thanks,
Paul Rodriguez
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

You could build your own bending blocks out of hardwood and use a
hydraulic press to do the bending. If you don't have access to a
press, it wouldn't be too hard to build one out of a large bottle jack
and a steel frame. I've heard that if you fill the tubing with sand
and seal the ends, the tubing won't crush when you bend it. I've never
tried this, just kicking around some ideas.
On Mar 11, 2009, at 6:57 PM, <paulrod36(at)msn.com> <paulrod36(at)msn.com>
wrote:

Quote:
I need an idea.........I'm having a tough time trying to bend some
1-1/8 aluminum tubing to make the intakes on the Corvair heads. So
far, I've fabricated the flanges, but bending the tubing into tight
90 degree curves has me stuck. My local muffler shops have tried,
but without the exact size blocks, they can't get the bends right
without crushing the bend somewhere. I've looked for conduit
benders, but none are the right size.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
Larry Webber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

pAUL  
 go to homers or lowes and go to bathdept buy some SS safety hand rails
already curved 1 piece will do both sides of intake cut to angle you want
cost 20 $   go to junk yard get piece of ss flat  about 3$  weld and drill

some of them even have a dimpled non slip surface for the hose to secure to
Larry 601xl corvair chugger

To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Zenith-List: Corvair Intake
Date: Wed C 11 Mar 2009 17:57:32 -0500

Homebuilers are nothing if not ingenious and adaptable C so I bring this to youse.  I need an idea.........I'm having a tough time trying to bend some 1-1/8 aluminum tubing to make the intakes on the Corvair heads.  So far C I've fabricated the flanges C but bending the tubing into tight 90 degree curves has me stuck. My local muffler shops have tried C but without the exact size blocks C they can't get the bends right without crushing the bend somewhere. I've looked for conduit benders C but none are the right size.  As a fallback I've thought about using a wall pipe from Ace Hardware's plumbing department C (pretty chrome) but it's thin wall brass C and likely to crack from the vibration. Any ideas?  How'd everybody else do it?

Thanks C
Paul Rodriguez
Quote:

Quote:
ronics.com

ww.matronics.com/contribution

HotmailŪ is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> EUREKA!! I knew I could count on the list. Since She Who Must Be Obeyed works at Lowe's I not only get a solution, but I get it at discount, besides. Thankya, thankya ver' much!
[quote] ---

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

Paul;

I have made a few intake manifolds before. I purchase 45, 90 and 135 or 180 degree “mandrel bent” tubes in the diameter I need, cut them to fit, then weld
together and grind off the seams. The “mandrel bends” bending technology makes for smooth curves without kinks.

Do an internet search for mandrel bends and you will find lots of suppliers. The aluminized steel is easy to wield, but not as light as aluminum.

Roger

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of paulrod36(at)msn.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:58 PM
To: zenith-list
Subject: Corvair Intake

Homebuilers are nothing if not ingenious and adaptable, so I bring this to youse. I need an idea.........I'm having a tough time trying to bend some 1-1/8 aluminum tubing to make the intakes on the Corvair heads. So far, I've fabricated the flanges, but bending the tubing into tight 90 degree curves has me stuck. My local muffler shops have tried, but without the exact size blocks, they can't get the bends right without crushing the bend somewhere. I've looked for conduit benders, but none are the right size. As a fallback I've thought about using a wall pipe from Ace Hardware's plumbing department, (pretty chrome) but it's thin wall brass, and likely to crack from the vibration. Any ideas? How'd everybody else do it?

Thanks,

Paul Rodriguez
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Ianrat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair Intake Reply with quote

I use CAD to draw the intake and then went to my local Mandrel bender (In Australia) and he made the intake exactly the same as the one WW sells. They cost me $100 each including the stainless steel tubing.

Ianrat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: