Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JabiruEngine-List: Re: Oil Burn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List: Re: Oil Burn Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/3/2009 12:49:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sRoydSmith(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Consumption has gone up over the past 150 hours or so. It is now at about 1 quart per 450 miles.

Steve (and all),
Interesting way to measure your oil consumption, but hard for us to know how to compare that without knowing at what speed your aircraft cruises. At 50 mph that would be 9 hours per quart and thus great oil consumption. However, at 150 mph that would be 3 hours per quart - nothing to brag about.
My 3300 Jabiru (in a highly modified Esqual - N31BZ) has 575 hours in 3 &1/2 years. From memory, It is serial number 843 and has solid lifters. Most recent annual had compressions all between 70 and 74, and that was measured with the engine cold. I figure I could have added a pound or two of compression if I had done the compression check on a hot/warm engine. There are no signs of oil seepage anywhere on the engine.
I generally run my engine rather hard (read that as a little above 2850) and my cross country cruise speeds at altitude always work out to 160 to 165 mph true airspeed burning about 5.8 gph. I also seem to "miss my Pitts" and more than occasionally am at rather "steeper" bank and climb angles, but have never noticed a hot oil smell that you mentioned. I change oil and filter every 25 to 30 hours and generally find the "slobber pot" about 1/3 full at each oil change. Since completing the engine break in I have used only Aeroshell W 100 Plus. I keep the oil level between the half full mark and the bottom mark on the dip stick. My best guess on my engine's oil consumption is probably about 1 quart in 7 to 8 hours. 
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich
Make your summer sizzle with fast and easy recipes for the grill.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Stephen Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: JabiruEngine-List: Re: Oil Burn Reply with quote

Good point Buz.

I dont run my engine hard. RPM are often around 2,500. I fly at about 100 MPH so that's a quart about every 4.5 hours.

My plane is a Zenair zodiac XL N601WF.

By the way, nice looking plane you have there.

Steve

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: