Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake line exit holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

I think I really screwed up this morning.

28-5 Step 4

"Enlarge the two pre-punched brake line pilot holes to 5/8 diameter"

These are the holes where the brake lines exit the bottom skin at each landing gear mount.

I drilled the hole in the skins out to 5/8" just as the plans indicated. While I was there (keep in mind this is a QB), I decided to install the brake line hardware too as described on 36-2. The AN fitting doesn’t fit through the corresponding hole on the landing gear mount.

After looking at the directions, it says (a second time) to enlarge the hole to 5/8”. I can only assume they’re talking about the corresponding hole in the landing gear, to make room for the AN fitting.

So now I have a 5/8” hole in the bottom skin and in the landing gear mount.

This is the point where shock set in. I’ll bet I wasn’t supposed to drill the landing gear mount to 5/8” and I’ll bet the fitting is supposed to mount to the landing gear – and pass through the skin untouched.

Now I have a really nice hole that my AN fitting will push right through. Not to mention a weak point near a very critical structural component that gets abused (the landing gear).

I think I just bought myself a lot of work, a new right main gear mount, and a lot of stress.

Someone tell me I didn’t….

Phil

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

Phil,

Took a (crappy) picture of my brake line exit. The fitting mounts to the landing gear bracket and just goes through the skin.

Hopefully someone has a good idea for a fix. It ain't fun to take the landing gear bracket out.

Lenny

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brake_exit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.8 KB
 Viewed:  3440 Time(s)

brake_exit.jpg

AirMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes - collapsed gear - and silver linings Reply with quote

Since none of us have a perfect plane, I would not get too concerned. If it were me, I would take a thick aluminum plate - put the proper sized hole in the plate for the AN fitting - then epoxy the plate in place.

At this point in the build - this kind of error will drive you crazy - a year from now it will be long forgotten.

Also look at the silver lining to this screw up - you will be much more motivated to make nice soft landings after you are flying.......

kearney

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

Hi

If you have enlarged a hole in the gear mount, you can avoid having to get a new one by getting a welding shop to fill in the hole. You can then redrill to the correct size.

Cheers

Les
#40643 –living in f/g hell

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Perry, Phil
Sent: September-19-09 9:27 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Brake line exit holes

28-5 Step 4

These are the holes where the brake lines exit the bottom skin at each landing gear mount.

I drilled the hole in the skins out to 5/8" just as the plans indicated. While I was there (keep in mind this is a QB), I decided to install the brake line hardware too as described on 36-2. The AN fitting doesn’t fit through the corresponding hole on the landing gear mount.

After looking at the directions, it says (a second time) to enlarge the hole to 5/8”. I can only assume they’re talking about the corresponding hole in the landing gear, to make room for the AN fitting.

This is the point where shock set in. I’ll bet I wasn’t supposed to drill the landing gear mount to 5/8” and I’ll bet the fitting is supposed to mount to the landing gear – and pass through the skin untouched.

Now I have a really nice hole that my AN fitting will push right through. Not to mention a weak point near a very critical structural component that gets abused (the landing gear).

I think I just bought myself a lot of work, a new right main gear mount, and a lot of stress.

Phil

Quote:
[b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List[b]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

Sorry about going dark for a few hours. I realize a few of you replied.
The internet connection went down as soon as I sent the first message and it still hasn't returned.

But my blackberry is working at least. Once the connection comes back, I'll sort through the replies.

Phil

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Sat Sep 19 08:13:10 2009
Subject: Brake line exit holes

28-5 Step 4

I drilled the hole in the skins out to 5/8" just as the plans indicated.  While I was there (keep in mind this is a QB), I decided to install the brake line hardware too as described on 36-2.  The AN fitting doesn’t fit through the corresponding hole on the landing gear mount.

After looking at the directions, it says (a second time) to enlarge the hole to 5/8”.   I can only assume they’re talking about the corresponding hole in the landing gear, to make room for the AN fitting.

This is the point where shock set in.  I’ll bet I wasn’t supposed to drill the landing gear mount to 5/8” and I’ll bet the fitting is supposed to mount to the landing gear – and pass through the skin untouched.

Now I have a really nice hole that my AN fitting will push right through.    Not to mention a weak point near a very critical structural component that gets abused (the landing gear).

Phil

Phil White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

Phil: We Phil's can hang together, as we make the same mistakes. Look at the photo attached, which shows how I put a small piece of .035 or .041 with the correct smaller hole in it, on top of the gear leg flange, put the fitting thru, and 'twas fixed. the slightly oversize hole in that flange won't cause a problem.
Can't recall whether there is a washer on the underside or not, but the fitting is solidly attached to the plane now.

Phil White

Brake line hole patch-sml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.17 KB
 Viewed:  3397 Time(s)

Brake line hole patch-sml.jpg

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

I don't have my documentation with me this morning and I can't seem to
find Section 4 on Tim's site.

Does anyone know if the main gear mounts are 4130? I think I've found
an aircraft welder who can patch the hole for me, but I'd like to be
certain of the material first.

Thanks,
Phil

--

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Brake line exit holes Reply with quote

Got the answer for those who are wondering. (Or for those who might
search the archives later.)

1) Yes, it is 4130.

2) Unfortunately the mount has been heat treated. So touching the thing
with a welder is not a good idea for fear of weakening the structure.

3) Van's doesn't believe there is a structural issue with the hole, but
they're running it by engineering to check.

4) The proposed solution from Van's is to insert a bushing into the hole
and then a large flat washer on top to hold it into position.

Once we reach a resolution, I'll send the fix for the archives.

Phil

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: