Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
messydeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: 2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I have nearly finished the wiring of my instrument panel switches in my mockup instrument panel. My Sonex has a 30 degree tilt in the panel, which limits how low switches can be mounted, since there is an 025 channel behind the panel with the flanges facing up. I use this channel as a tray for the wires. In the area behind the switches, I cutoff the rear flange flush with the web of the channel to make room for the wires. I'm not sure yet how I could dress the cut edge. Ideas?

I'd also like input on anything you see that could be a problem. I'm mainly concerned about the two shielded mag cables. They rest on top of the channel tray. Well, actually, they do a little more than rest there. These two white cables put maybe 1 pound total pressure against the underlying tray, so it wants to spring up a little. Is this okay? All the other wires don't put any force on the tray at all. Some are shown dangling over the edge, which is only temporary. Final installation will have no wires near metal edges.

The instrument panel has a piano hinge on the bottom edge that connects it to the channel tray. All the wires come from the left of the pics. I have spiral wrap around the wires that originated forward of the firewall. Wires from the main buss will be zip tied to this, as will the grounds going back to the panel ground buss. Both main and ground busses are also to the left of the pics. My Enigma display will fit in the cutout area to the left of the switches.

The two white 20awg shielded mag wires exit the spiral wrap a couple inches from the end and make a roughly 270 degree loop as they go up to the switches. This is to allow room for them to go forward when the panel is opened. But the looping also causes that little spring.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

wires resting on instrument panel tray from behind.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  444.7 KB
 Viewed:  5052 Time(s)

wires resting on instrument panel tray from behind.jpg

messydeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray Reply with quote

Here's a pic from a little to the left from behind the panel. The zip tie on the blue (shield) and white (core) wires helps support the thin shield with the thin blue heat shrink. Otherwise, it might kink when moved around.

For both mag switches, I used 2-3 switches with jumpers between the switch terminals. I had to remake the left mag connections because of the braid kinking issue, so I made the jumpers a bit longer.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wires resting on instrument panel tray from left quarter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  469.48 KB
 Viewed:  5046 Time(s)

wires resting on instrument panel tray from left quarter.jpg

messydeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray Reply with quote

In the pic from the right, you can see the result of my left mag jumper redo. The core is white and just goes to the top switch tabs.

I threaded a piece of red 20awg wire through the middle of the braid and crimped the braid along with the end of this wire into a faston. Then put a small blue piece of heat shrink over them and a larger black heat shrink. So the red jumper wire also serves as inner support for the braid. The other end has a faston crimped on going to the other switch tab.

I've also got more pics on a Flickr site I started a couple weeks ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44912760(at)N02/

I've also found the site by searching for 'messydeer'.

Your suggestions have been helpful and I look forward to getting more of them!

wires resting on instrument panel tray right quarter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.65 KB
 Viewed:  5037 Time(s)

wires resting on instrument panel tray right quarter.jpg

wires resting on instrument panel tray from left.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  436.39 KB
 Viewed:  5037 Time(s)

wires resting on instrument panel tray from left.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray Reply with quote

How about something like this for metal edge protection for wires.
Joe

http://www.jcwhitney.com/FLEXIBLE_EDGE_TRIM_50?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2006725;0;0
Quote:
I cutoff the rear flange flush with the web of the channel to make room for the wires. I'm not sure yet how I could dress the cut edge. Ideas?

messydeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2 wires a little springy on my panel channel tray Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe Smile

Another possibility is to bend the cut edge down a bit. Others have added a piece of angle with the flange pointing down across the cutout area. I'll be putting in a vertical piece of 032 angle on either side of the Enigma for support between the tray and glare shield and may not need that extra angle under the tray.

I also moved things around with the wires a little. Seems the two mag leads aren't totally responsible for the springiness. All the other wires are adding a little, even though they don't look like it. And I measured the force to be only 6oz. Having never done this before, I'm very cautious.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: