Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Thermostat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dupont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

I am in Northern Canada and I am looking at ways to keep the engine warmer and I am considering an oil thermostat.

I could put something like the one in section 4 here http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_engines/rotax_914UL.htm

But I found one I like better, if just for the fact it is advertised for both Rotax and Jabiru engines. It is sold in Australia by mcoates(at)xair.com.au . They claim it is made in USA so I wonder where I can buy one over here.

I d like to hear your comments and suggestions.

Here is how they say it works.

Quote:

I have just come across one of these products and it's a specially designed thermostat system designed to regulate the oil temperature on engines like the Rotax and Jabiru.

We are all aware of the damage which can be caused by running your aircraft engine oil temperature too low, in fact it has always been recommended to get the oil temperature just over 100°C during each flight to burn off the water which can contaminate the engine oil, if you are flying time and time again and the engine temperature is only getting to say 85°C the water will remain in your oil as a contaminant and can go on to destroy your engine with corrosion problems. Additionally, warmup is achieved very quickly on even the coldest of days because the thermostat diverts the oil flow from the oil cooler.

Made in the USA these special oil thermostat units are designed to quickly allow your engine to reach and maintain its optimum operating temperature even on the coldest of days.

CNC machined from 6061-T6 the unit is anodised with the type 2 surface finish to protect the thermostat long-term against corrosion. All of the hardware is aircraft grade and the oil thermostat unit is finished to the highest possible standards and is supplied with hose nipples to fit the most common oil tubing diameter used by Rotax and Jabiru.

There are a number of benefits in using an oil thermostat in your aircraft which include fuel savings resulting from quick warmup times and engine operation at optimum oil temperature which also increases engine life because the engine is being operated at the correct oil temperature.

I have been asked the same questions by most of the people I have shown this thermostat unit to...

Will it reduce my oil pressure? The simple answer is no installing an oil temperature thermostat may slightly increase your oil pressure when it is most needed during cold starts. It offers a shorter, less restrictive flow path to the lubricating oil while the engine is cold. The cold oil bypasses the oil cooler and eliminating the small pressure drop that would otherwise occur.

Can it block the flow of oil? No, it cannot block the flow of oil in any circumstances whether operating normally or in a failed condition, it is impossible for the unit to block the flow of oil or the oil circuit.

What is the warranty period? The warranty period of the oil thermostat is two years.

How big is the unit? The unit is really small being 55mm high, 55mm long (without the hose barbs) and just 40mm deep, the unit can be bolted to the firewall or a bracket with the two 3/16" mounting holes.

Most important... The Cost? The cost of the oil thermostat with oil hose nipples is only $200 AU$ plug GST and delivery.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

That looks pretty neat. On a particularly cool day a few weeks ago I experimented with progressively taping over the small intake on the front of the cowling that directs airflow through the fins on the bottom of the sump.

I was surprised to find that just closing that off entirely resulted in a remarkable decrease in oil cooling. Even with an outside air temp of about 38 degrees a sustained run at full throttle would get the temps within about 15 degrees of maximum. I'm sure if I had been climbing it would have gone much higher.

Until you get that thermostat, if you're flying in really cold weather you might try a single piece of clear plastic packing tape over the intake on the front of the cowl. Just don't venture far from the airport until you're sure it's not making too big a difference.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

J Dupont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Closing the small intake was the first step taken and it helped a little. It is very cold over here. Rolling Eyes

J Dupont

davemcc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

I live in Minnesota, yesterday went on a 300 nm jont while 15 degrees below,
Coldest cylinder was 170, hottest was 220, oil was constant 190. Every
winter when 20 and colder I cover oil cooler inlet with plate having 5 -3/4
inch holes in it letting some air in. Cylinders I also block 25% of inlet
off, been doing this for 5 years, works for me
Dave - Esqual
---

Clive J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Hi Dave, How do you block the cylinder head flow off?
My 2200 was a tad cold last week but I was worried if I taped up the holes in the front of the cowling the tape might come off and block something and I wouldn't know.
I only have the one sensor on my old Jab SP's engine. I did think about messing with the cooling ducts.
Regards, Clive

--

J Dupont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

davemcc wrote:
I live in Minnesota, yesterday went on a 300 nm jont while 15 degrees below,
Coldest cylinder was 170, hottest was 220, oil was constant 190. Every
winter when 20 and colder I cover oil cooler inlet with plate having 5 -3/4
inch holes in it letting some air in. Cylinders I also block 25% of inlet
off, been doing this for 5 years, works for me
Dave - Esqual
---

I too am interested what method you used to block 25% off inlet. My previous plane was a Cessna 150 and in winter time I had a plastic grill I screwed over the intake. For the Lightning, I was thinking about something more discrete like something within the cowling but I haven t come up with an idea I felt good about yet.

ryan(at)greenlandings.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Ok, this past week was one of the worst here at Green Landings. As most of you know we are located about 70 miles west of Washington DC in hedgesville, WV. In the past 7 days we have had two major storms. A normal year for us is about 10 -15 inches total. This past week starting last friday. We had 33 inches the first storm and again on Tuesday into Wednesday we added another 16", this time with wind. Our local roads were drifted shut and some still are with 6' drifts. I was stuck at the airport all day Wednesday and most of the day Thursday. Here are a few pictures of the airport and the roads to the airport.
Ryan Gross Green Landings Flight Center, Inc SkyRanger Aircraft www.greenlandings.com 304-754-6010
[quote] -----Original Message----- From: "Dave" <corky(at)hbci.com> To: <lightning-list(at)matronics.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 06:52:36 -0600 Subject: Re: Oil Thermostat --> Lightning-List message posted by: "Dave" <corky(at)hbci.com> I live in Minnesota, yesterday went on a 300 nm jont while 15 degrees below, Coldest cylinder was 170, hottest was 220, oil was constant 190. Every winter when 20 and colder I cover oil cooler inlet with plate having 5 -3/4 inch holes in it letting some air in. Cylinders I also block 25% of inlet off, been doing this for 5 years, works for me Dave - Esqual ---

davemcc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

I simply put an a plate in front of my cylinders to block some intake air.
It's more functional than cosmetic, on mine I have no individual air
diverters directing air to cylinders, they all run fairly even temps year
around
Dave
---

ThermoStasis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Hello, everyone:

This is an updated post as of Friday, February 19th.

I am pleased to communicate that X-Air Australia is our authorized distributor for Australia and New Zealand.

Mike Brown
President
ThermoStasis
www.thermostasis.com

Last edited by ThermoStasis on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
J Dupont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

I ordered the thermostat last week From Australia. I will let the list know how it performs.

ThermoStasis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

J Dupont wrote:
I ordered the thermostat last week From Australia. I will let the list know how it performs.

This oil thermostat was designed for suction-side oil pump applications. It is currently ONLY approved for Rotax 912-series engines. It is NOT approved for pressure side applications like the Jabiru.

Mike Brown
President
ThermoStasis
www.thermostasis.com

J Dupont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

ThermoStasis wrote:

This oil thermostat was designed for suction-side oil pump applications. It is currently ONLY approved for Rotax 912-series engines. It is NOT approved for pressure side applications like the Jabiru.

Mike Brown
President
ThermoStasis
www.thermostasis.com

Thanks for the info Mike, I will not install it.

Will you have one that fits the pressure side application of my Jabiru 3300?

J Dupont

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: