Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

How about some filtering on the "input" line of the ammeter?  If we're looking at constant-amplitude square wave current pulses of varying frequency, a capacitive filter to perform an "integral" function might give you an average-current-over-time measurement that closely matches the frequency and therefore the load on the pump.  In practice, I am not sure from listening to my Facet pump all these years how much the frequency changes as a function of load.  There is a sound change as it self-primes when I first hit it before engine-start.

Just a thought.  I had to do the pneumatic equivalent (expansion chamber plus input restrictor) to keep my manifold pressure digital readout from jumping all around in an un-readable fashion. A little RC pi or L network might do what you need.

Bill B.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Charlie England <ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)>

Certificated. Bummer.

If you think you can legally use current sensing, have you tried a restricter in the pump's output to see if it will raise the current enough to be measurable vs the no-flow state?

On 4/19/2010 6:16 PM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Charlie,
Those units by Pillar Point Electronics look very promising. As I said a couple of messages back, I need something that can be used on a normally certificated aircraft. Not sure about the PPE product, but I am checking into it.
Thanks for the comment.
Happy Skies,
Old Bob
In a message dated 4/19/2010 4:50:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net) writes:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England
   <ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)>

On 4/19/2010 3:03 PM, ROGER & JEAN CURTIS wrote:
   >
   >       To me, they look and sound just like the ones that were used
   > on those Ford gasoline fired heaters back in the thirties. But
   my memory
   > could be fooling me.
   >
   >       Those were probably the  Stewart Warner or Bendix pumps.
   > Whadda Ya Think?
   >
   >       If so. does that mean I need to monitor the frequency some
   > how?
   >
   >       This is getting complicated,.  No wonder nobody does it!
   >
   >       Happy Skies,
   >
   >       Old Bob
   >
   >               I am not sure of the application here, but I
   > believe that there should be a significant pressure drop on the
   output of
   > the pump, when there is no longer any fuel.  This being the
   case, perhaps
   > you could use a pressure switch, similar to what is used to
   monitor engine
   > oil pressure and turn on the hobbs meter, on some aircraft.  You
   would need
   > to check the pressure differential between pumping fuel and
   empty tank
   > pumping, and use a switch midway between.  This would be a
   normally closed
   > switch which would open when there is fuel flow and close, to
   turn on the
   > light when there is no more fuel to pump.
   >
   >               Not sure if this is a viable option for your
   > application, but might work, and is very simple.  (I especially like
   > simple:-)
   >
   >               Roger
   >
   If you're using it as a transfer pump, there won't be a lot of
   pressure
   since it will be just the 'head' from one tank to the other. Often no
   more than a few inches of rise, plus the resistance of the tubing.

How about one of the sensing devices using light to detect the
   presence
   of liquid? I bought a couple several years ago, intending to use
   them to
   monitor end-of-transfer from my aux tanks, then forgot to install
   them.... They mount in a single hole & have a cone shaped plexi
   tip. An
   LED shines out through the plexi; presence/absence of liquid
   changes the
   light reflected back into the photocell in the same housing, changing
   the state of the sense line.

If that interests you, I'll try to locate the name of the device & a
   source for you.

Charlie

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Good Morning Bill,

Wow!

It appears that any suitable current measuring device will be a lot more complex than my feeble brain can comprehend.

Thanks to you and all the others that have contributed to my on going education.

In any case, it does seem that a few breadboard experiments are in order.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/20/2010 6:41:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, sportav8r(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
How about some filtering on the "input" line of the ammeter? If we're looking at constant-amplitude square wave current pulses of varying frequency, a capacitive filter to perform an "integral" function might give you an average-current-over-time measurement that closely matches the frequency and therefore the load on the pump. In practice, I am not sure from listening to my Facet pump all these years how much the frequency changes as a function of load. There is a sound change as it self-primes when I first hit it before engine-start.

Just a thought. I had to do the pneumatic equivalent (expansion chamber plus input restrictor) to keep my manifold pressure digital readout from jumping all around in an un-readable fashion. A little RC pi or L network might do what you need.

Bill B.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Charlie England <ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)>

Certificated. Bummer.

If you think you can legally use current sensing, have you tried a restricter in the pump's output to see if it will raise the current enough to be measurable vs the no-flow state?

On 4/19/2010 6:16 PM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Charlie,
Those units by Pillar Point Electronics look very promising. As I said a couple of messages back, I need something that can be used on a normally certificated aircraft. Not sure about the PPE product, but I am checking into it.
Thanks for the comment.
Happy Skies,
Old Bob
In a message dated 4/19/2010 4:50:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net) writes:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England
<ceengland(at)bellsouth.net (ceengland(at)bellsouth.net)>

On 4/19/2010 3:03 PM, ROGER & JEAN CURTIS wrote:
>
> To me, they look and sound just like the ones that were used
> on those Ford gasoline fired heaters back in the thirties. But
my memory
> could be fooling me.
>
> Those were probably the Stewart Warner or Bendix pumps.
> Whadda Ya Think?
>
>   If so. does that mean I need to monitor the frequency some
> how?
>
>   This is getting complicated,. No wonder nobody does it!
>
> Happy Skies,
>
>   Old Bob
>
> I am not sure of the application here, but I
> believe that there should be a significant pressure drop on the
output of
> the pump, when there is no longer any fuel. This being the
case, perhaps
> you could use a pressure switch, similar to what is used to
monitor engine
> oil pressure and turn on the hobbs meter, on some aircraft. You
would need
> to check the pressure differential between pumping fuel and
empty tank
> pumping, and use a switch midway between. This would be a
normally closed
 > switch which would open when there is fuel flow and close, to
  turn on the
> light when there is no more fuel to pump.
>
> Not sure if this is a viable option for your
> application, but might work, and is very simple. (I especially like
> simple:-)
>
> Roger
>
If you're using it as a transfer pump, there won't be a lot of
pressure
  since it will be just the 'head' from one tank to the other. Often no
more than a few inches of rise, plus the resistance of the tubing.

How about one of the sensing devices using light to detect the
presence
of liquid? I bought a couple several years ago, intending to use
them to
monitor end-of-transfer from my aux tanks, then forgot to install
them.... They mount in a single hole & have a cone shaped plexi
tip. An
LED shines out through the plexi; presence/absence of liquid
changes the
light reflected back into the photocell in the same housing, changing
the state of the sense line.

If that interests you, I'll try to locate the name of the device & a
source for you.

Charlie

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jon(at)finleyweb.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

I find this discussion very interesting and hope for an inexpensive solution. I really like that Pillar Point flow detector but the price is more than I'd like to spend.

Just to add some data points.... In my case, I know the fuel level in the tank but I wish to know when fuel stops being delivered to that tank so alternate plans can be made. So, a "fuel is not flowing" indicator would add a level of comfort (would be "nice" but certainly not mandatory since I am currently flying without this).

More specifically, I have a large main tank from which fuel is pumped into the header. The header is about 5 gallons (one hour of flight time). I typically leave my transfer pump on all the time. If it were to stop and I didn't notice (which is likely), I have a warning light that will come on at about 2.5-3 gallons. That leaves me with about 30 minutes to figure out what to do. If I had known immediately, I would have had 60 minutes. Of course, I have a backup fuel pump which I would immediately switch on. However; it can take some time before seeing the fuel level start to rise. When dealing with a 30 minute window, knowing now versus knowing in 5-10 minutes is a big deal (at least in terms of my stress level - FYI, I live out west were airports are frequently more than 30 minutes apart).

Jon Finley
N314JF - Q2 - Subaru EJ22
http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx

--

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Good Morning Ira,

I have what I consider to be relatively good fuel gauges in the tanks, but find that there is at least a ten to fifteen minute window between where the gauge says empty and it actually will be dry. I do not wish to turn the pump off too soon and have fuel in the tank that has not been used and I do not like to run the pump when it is not actually pumping fuel.

It would be very nice to be able to verify the accuracy of the fuel gauge by noting when the pump stops pumping fuel rather than running the pump while dry for possibly an extra ten to fifteen minutes every time I utilize the auxiliary fuel tank.

I do have excellent fuel use measuring capability and what I do now is note the fuel burned number when I turn on the pump and shut it off when the amount of fuel known to be in the tank has been burned.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to know within seconds when the tank has run dry so that the pump could be turned off.

I really would rather not be running the pump when it is not pumping fuel.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/20/2010 7:43:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ira.rampil(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rampil" <ira.rampil(at)gmail.com>

Good engineering principles favor measuring the actual parameter
you want, rather than a surrogate, especially when there is no
reliable one-to-one mapping of one to the other.

In the case of current draw, for example, overheating the coil or dirt
in the mechanism will probably change the current draw
Pressure downstream would depend on where the fill hose enters the
downstream tank, if at the bottom, or at a positive hydrostatic head, the
pressure downstream of the pump will stay positive while there is fuel
in the tank.

What about measuring fuel level in the feeding tank, is not that what you
really want to make a decision with? When it reads zero, stop pumping?

--------
Ira N224XS

[quote][b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Bob,

Pardon me for butting in, but from my experience with certificated airplanes, it is virtually impossible to get a field approval like you're after.

I used to have a 1961 Cessna 172, with an O-300 Continental.  On those hot mid-summer California days (100+), my oil temps got well into the red on climbout!!  I checked the accuracy of the gauge, and it was correct! 

Therefore, I wanted to add an oil cooler to my Cessna 172.  It didn't come with one, but I could get a later model 172 oil cooler to fit.  I sent off my Form 337 to the local FSDO, and their first reaction was "NO!"  Their attitude was "if it didn't come with one, it doesn't need one!!"

I was irritated (to say the least), and requested an appeal.  They finally relented and said it would be okay.  For crying out loud , it was just an oil cooler!! (all certified parts, too)

My opinion is; there ain't no way you can legally add any kind of permanent parts to modify to your fuel pump, fuel lines, or anything else, on a certificated airplane, without that approved 337. 

Just my opinion.................

Mike Welch

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:34:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

Good Morning Ira,

I have what I consider to be relatively good fuel gauges in the tanks, but find that there is at least a ten to fifteen minute window between where the gauge says empty and it actually will be dry. I do not wish to turn the pump off too soon and have fuel in the tank that has not been used and I do not like to run the pump when it is not actually pumping fuel.

It would be very nice to be able to verify the accuracy of the fuel gauge by noting when the pump stops pumping fuel rather than running the pump while dry for possibly an extra ten to fifteen minutes every time I utilize the auxiliary fuel tank.

I do have excellent fuel use measuring capability and what I do now is note the fuel burned number when I turn on the pump and shut it off when the amount of fuel known to be in the tank has been burned. 

Nevertheless, it would be nice to know within seconds when the tank has run dry so that the pump could be turned off.

I really would rather not be running the pump when it is not pumping fuel.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/20/2010 7:43:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ira.rampil(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rampil" <ira.rampil(at)gmail.com>

Good engineering principles favor measuring the actual parameter
you want, rather than a surrogate, especially when there is no
reliable one-to-one mapping of one to the other.

In the case of current draw, for example, overheating the coil or dirt
in the mechanism will probably change the current draw
Pressure downstream would depend on where the fill hose enters the
downstream tank, if at the bottom, or at a positive hydrostatic head, the
pressure downstream of the pump will stay positive while there is fuel
in the tank.

What about measuring fuel level in the feeding tank, is not that what you
really want to make a decision with? When it reads zero, stop pumping?

--------
Ira N224XS

Quote:

-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how. [quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Mike,

Believe it or not I do understand your frustration and the problems that are faced when dealing with the FAA.
It is my opinion that the vast majority of the folks at FAA want to do a good job, but are so hamstrung with regulations and paper work that it is easier to just say no.

However, I have had fairly good luck getting local approvals from my supervising FSDO.

As I think we can all agree, each FSDO is a kingdom unto itself and what is easy to get approved at one office may be impossible at another. Nevertheless, I have gotten several local approvals here locally. I do hold an A&P with Inspection Authorization. It does help me know who I should present the data to and how the presentation should be made.

In general, if we can think of a way to add something that has no chance of interfering with required equipment, the local approval has a better chance of being approved.

Once again, the FAA has no obligation to ever issue a local approval. In fact, if an individual inspector does issue the approval, he is doing it on his own knowledge and is personally responsible for what happens. In many ways it is surprising that any FAA inspector ever issues a local approval. He/she has no obligation to do so. It is just a privilege he has been accorded. Failure to do so does not hurt his career at all, but making a dumb approval could end his career.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/20/2010 12:37:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time, mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Bob,

Pardon me for butting in, but from my experience with certificated airplanes, it is virtually impossible to get a field approval like you're after.

I used to have a 1961 Cessna 172, with an O-300 Continental. On those hot mid-summer California days (100+), my oil temps got well into the red on climbout!! I checked the accuracy of the gauge, and it was correct!

Therefore, I wanted to add an oil cooler to my Cessna 172. It didn't come with one, but I could get a later model 172 oil cooler to fit. I sent off my Form 337 to the local FSDO, and their first reaction was "NO!" Their attitude was "if it didn't come with one, it doesn't need one!!"

I was irritated (to say the least), and requested an appeal. They finally relented and said it would be okay. For crying out loud , it was just an oil cooler!! (all certified parts, too)

My opinion is; there ain't no way you can legally add any kind of permanent parts to modify to your fuel pump, fuel lines, or anything else, on a certificated airplane, without that approved 337.

Just my opinion.................

Mike Welch

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

A "tank empty switch" can be made with a magnet attached to a float inside of the tank. A magnetic reed switch on the outside of the tank will close when the magnet gets close to it. Of course this is only legal for home-built aircraft. The only thing visible on the outside of the tank will be a pair of wires with heat-shrink on the end that the covers the switch. Perhaps there are similar tank empty switches commercially available.
Joe

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Good Morning Joe,

Another great idea! This list is resourceful.

For my purposes, the fuel gauge I have does a good job as far as telling me when my usable fuel is out of the tank. Admittedly, there are times when four or five minutes of fuel will make a difference and if the flight is planned to land with the FAA suggested thirty minute minimum planned fuel reserve, five more minutes will make a difference to me.

However, I rarely cut fuel that close so my effort is oriented more toward reducing the time the pump will be operating dry. That is why I am more interested in finding out when the pump is pumping nothing but air. So far, the best answer appears to be the optical monitoring of fuel flow. I originally thought pressure would do the trick, but as many have pointed out, there may not be enough head pressure to allow consistent measurable differences.

When the idea of measuring current required by the pump surfaced, that seemed to have merit, but 'Lectric Bob seems to feel that may not be a useful measurement. I think the pressure and electron measurement solutions are worthy of some breadboard testing, but that optical monitoring of the fuel looks like a winner. Unfortunately, I now have to figure out a way of getting my local FED to agree that it is a good solution.

As an aside, It appears that an earlier offering by the Pillar Point folks used a stock AN Tee for a base unit with the detector potted into the standing leg of the tee. They have now decided to manufacture their own Tee. It is my off the wall guess that I might have had better luck using the modified AN unit than I will one that is newly manufactured. Such are the vagaries of getting FAA approval for anything. I just hope that sometime in the future I will be able to afford a homebuilt instead of my present factory built steed.

This is WAY off topic, but my investigation of the market shows that I can still buy an ancient factory built flying machine for less money than it would cost to get a home built machine of equivalent performance.

This would be a no brainer if I could afford a homebuilt.

Difficulties such as I am now encountering may get me to change my mind! <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/21/2010 7:04:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time, fran4sew(at)banyanol.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fran4sew(at)banyanol.com>

A "tank empty switch" can be made with a magnet attached to a float inside of the tank. A magnetic reed switch on the outside of the tank will close when the magnet gets close to it.  Of course this is only legal for home-built aircraft. The only thing visible on the outside of the tank will be a pair of wires with heat-shrink on the end that the covers the switch. Perhaps there are similar switches commercially available.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=295073#295073===============================================
_-= = Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

At 08:08 AM 4/21/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Joe,

For my purposes, the fuel gauge I have does a good job as far as telling me when my usable fuel is out of the tank. Admittedly, there are times when four or five minutes of fuel will make a difference and if the flight is planned to land with the FAA suggested thirty minute minimum planned fuel reserve, five more minutes will make a difference to me.

However, I rarely cut fuel that close so my effort is oriented more toward reducing the time the pump will be operating dry. That is why I am more interested in finding out when the pump is pumping nothing but air. So far, the best answer appears to be the optical monitoring of fuel flow. I originally thought pressure would do the trick, but as many have pointed out, there may not be enough head pressure to allow consistent measurable differences.

When the idea of measuring current required by the pump surfaced, that seemed to have merit, but 'Lectric Bob seems to feel that may not be a useful measurement.

I've researched the evolution of the thump-thump pumps
and found quite a cache of history in the patent files.
A selection of examples have been posted at:

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Pumps/

It seems our old friend the "Bendix electric
pump" is well represented and appears to have been
taken over by Facet. An example of the Facet cube
pump is including. All of these are "solid state"
versions of the original design that simply used a
set of contacts to control the solenoid coil current
to re-stroke the pump. I was surprised to find
that "solid state" went back so far. The 1968
Bendix patent still has the mechanical switch
contacts but uses transistors to buffer the coil
current so that the contacts don't erode electrically.

Later versions use hall effect devices to sense
plunger position. The surprise was to find a
couple of designs that used a free-running
oscillator (555 timer) to simple pulse the
solenoid periodically. No plunger position
sensing at all.

It's possible that some versions will present
a unique current signature that could be used
to detect when the pump was running unloaded
but you'd have to do some all-conditions,
all-variables studies to make sure that your
sensing scheme did not risk false indications.

Quote:
I think the pressure and electron measurement solutions are worthy of some breadboard testing, but that optical monitoring of the fuel looks like a winner.

Back in the summer of 08 we had some discussion here
on the list about optical liquid level sensors. These
have a rich history of practical application in automotive
applications dating back to the 1950's.

Modern incarnations include a series of devices
I was responsible for at Electro-Mech in the 80's
that have been built by the thousands and incorporated
into dozens of applications on Beech/RAC/Hawker-Beech
products. Here's a collection of pictures that
show features and products in the optical liquid
level sensors technology:

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Fuel_Level/

Gem Sensors is a good place to start for
commercial off-the-shelf devices. They're
quite rugged and entirely suited to the
task.

http://www.gemssensors.com/content.aspx?id=282

Quote:
Unfortunately, I now have to figure out a way of getting my local FED to agree that it is a good solution.

You're not proposing to do anything new,
daring and fraught with risk. Successful
integration of these devices into a tank
have only to do with mundane issues of
craftsmanship that go to keeping the fuel
inside the pipes . . . i.e. leaks.

The neat thing about sensing absolute
level in the tank is the "dipstick" accuracy
of the value. There are no variables of
calibration associated with setting trip
points to light indicators from fuel
level transmitters, etc.

I could see a 337 mod to add the sensor
to the side of a tank. It's an ADDITION
that is an operating convenience and
has no effect on the basis for certification
for the original TC. Risks are limited to
issues of good shop practice and craftsmanship.

Bob . . .
[quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Facet pumps: Energy vs. Flow Reply with quote

Good Morning 'Lectric Bob,

Thanks for the update.

Your answer coordinates well with my thoughts. If I could find a certificated optical flow monitoring device, I would install it using part 43 as data. No sweat at all!

While I do not have any desire to install more sensors in my fuel tanks, I agree that Part 43 substantiation should work there.

Thanks again to all who have responded. It really helps flesh out the answer.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Bob's Aircraft Service
Downers Grove, IL
Stearman N3977A (and others)

In a message dated 4/21/2010 9:29:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time, nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com writes:
Quote:
At 08:08 AM 4/21/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Joe,

When the idea of measuring current required by the pump surfaced, that seemed to have merit, but 'Lectric Bob seems to feel that may not be a useful measurement.

I've researched the evolution of the thump-thump pumps
and found quite a cache of history in the patent files.
A selection of examples have been posted at:

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Pumps/

It seems our old friend the "Bendix electric
pump" is well represented and appears to have been
taken over by Facet. An example of the Facet cube
pump is including. All of these are "solid state"
versions of the original design that simply used a
set of contacts to control the solenoid coil current
to re-stroke the pump. I was surprised to find
that "solid state" went back so far. The 1968
Bendix patent still has the mechanical switch
contacts but uses transistors to buffer the coil
current so that the contacts don't erode electrically.

Later versions use hall effect devices to sense
plunger position. The surprise was to find a
couple of designs that used a free-running
  oscillator (555 timer) to simple pulse the
solenoid periodically. No plunger position
sensing at all.

It's possible that some versions will present
a unique current signature that could be used
to detect when the pump was running unloaded
but you'd have to do some all-conditions,
all-variables studies to make sure that your
sensing scheme did not risk false indications.
Quote:
I think the pressure and electron measurement solutions are worthy of some breadboard testing, but that optical monitoring of the fuel looks like a winner.

Back in the summer of 08 we had some discussion here
on the list about optical liquid level sensors. These
have a rich history of practical application in automotive
applications dating back to the 1950's.

Modern incarnations include a series of devices
I was responsible for at Electro-Mech in the 80's
that have been built by the thousands and incorporated
into dozens of applications on Beech/RAC/Hawker-Beech
products. Here's a collection of pictures that
show features and products in the optical liquid
level sensors technology:

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Fuel_Level/

Gem Sensors is a good place to start for
commercial off-the-shelf devices. They're
quite rugged and entirely suited to the
task.

http://www.gemssensors.com/content.aspx?id=282
Quote:
Unfortunately, I now have to figure out a way of getting my local FED to agree that it is a good solution.

You're not proposing to do anything new,
daring and fraught with risk. Successful
integration of these devices into a tank
have only to do with mundane issues of
  craftsmanship that go to keeping the fuel
inside the pipes . . . i.e. leaks.

The neat thing about sensing absolute
level in the tank is the "dipstick" accuracy
of the value. There are no variables of
calibration associated with setting trip
  points to light indicators from fuel
level transmitters, etc.

I could see a 337 mod to add the sensor
to the side of a tank. It's an ADDITION
that is an operating convenience and
has no effect on the basis for certification
for the original TC. Risks are limited to
issues of good shop practice and craftsmanship.

Bob . . .
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: