Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange radio transmit problem - any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Strange radio transmit problem - any suggestions? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Becker AR4201 radio in my One Design that I have just started flying (2 hours on the tacho). Initially the radio worked great (after I got the mike jack wiring correct - there's always one bozo moment in any project). Halfway through the 2nd flight the transmit quit - receive was still good. Plugging in another headset on the ground and the transmit worked OK.

A couple of days later I pushed the aeroplane out for another flight and no transmit at all. Carrier wave is being transmitted but no modulation (and so side tone in my headset). After trying to figure it out for an hour I put it back together and went flying, still with carrier wave only. After a while I called a local tower (119.0) - loud and clear. Returned to my field (124.1) to the same problem - carrier wave only. What is going on!!! Sad

I have not been able to test further - but I need to step through the frequency range and find out which freqs work and which do not. This is a very simple airplane with no intercom, headset connected directly to the radio. Receive is good all the time, on all freqs tried so far. Radio shows the transmit arrow whenever the PTT is pushed, and puts out carrier wave on 124.1. Why is it modulating on some freqs and not others? Headset works in other aircraft (have tried 3 so far with same results).

Does anyone have any idea about what is going on?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Peter [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
skywagon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Strange radio transmit problem - any suggestions? Reply with quote

Peter,
From your description...no modulation is happening. Kinda' points to the microphone cartridge or wiring in your headset is randomly malfunctioning. Since you can plug another headset in and all works well, it points to the mike subassembly in your headset. The wiring inside most sets is really tiny stuff. Maybe the wire has broken inside the insulation and makes contact only when your head or mike boom is in a certain position and then, the wire opens in other positions. Check it closely and carefully flex the wiring and see if you can find it. Using an ohm-meter is probably the easiest tool to see if a break is present.
If the mike cartridge is bad, the manufacturer has to send you a new one or you send the headset back in with a detailed note describing the "randomness". Of operation.

I once had a David Clark set that developed a failed speaker element. Called DC and told them the problem. Guy on line said, "...that's impossible. We've never had the earpiece element fail". I had to do some tall talking to convince him to send me a new one. He did with my promise to send back the old one. He later called and softly apologized. The element had indeed, failed some way inside the unit.
David

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Strange radio transmit problem - any suggestions? Reply with quote

Peter,
I have learned that assumptions are often incorrect while conducting experiments under intermittent failure conditions. Do not assume that nothing is wrong with your headset just because it worked in other aircraft. Try another known-working headset in your One Design for several hours. If there are still intermittent problems, there could be a bad connection at the mic jack or at the connector on the back of the radio.
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: