Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Cap 601 XL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am trying to remove the threaded flange cap assembly from one of my wing tanks to seal the thread and stop some fuel leakage. I am having great difficulty in removing it. Is there a way to do this without destroying it. It is presently stuck so I can’t thread it in or out. Thanks PeterWonthaggi Australiahttp://zodiac.cpc-world.com
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Hi Peter.

When I put mine together I stuck a wide piece of wood in the top - in both of the openings where the gas cap locks in place - and turned the threaded neck with the piece of wood. I don't remember the actual size but I think it was a 1 x 1.

Good luck,

Paul
Camas, WA
XL-fighting solid rivets for upgrade.

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Peter W Johnson
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 4:24 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com; zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL.

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am trying to remove the threaded flange cap assembly from one of my wing tanks to seal the thread and stop some fuel leakage. I am having great difficulty in removing it. Is there a way to do this without destroying it. It is presently stuck so I can’t thread it in or out. Thanks PeterWonthaggi Australiahttp://zodiac.cpc-world.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am trying to remove the threaded flange cap assembly from one of my wing tanks to seal the thread and stop some fuel leakage. I am having great difficulty in removing it. Is there a way to do this without destroying it. It is presently stuck so I can’t thread it in or out.
Quote:
I am trying to remove the threaded flange cap assembly from one of my wing tanks to seal the thread and stop some fuel leakage. I am having great difficulty in removing it. Is there a way to do this without destroying it. It is presently stuck so I can’t thread it in or out.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

OOPS, I meant 1x2. The end of the board should fit into the slots in the gas cap mating area. Then you can grab the board and twist.

Perhaps some anti-seize compound would be a good idea when re-installing the part.

Paul

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Paul Mulwitz
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 4:42 PM
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Fuel Cap 601 XL.

Hi Peter.

When I put mine together I stuck a wide piece of wood in the top - in both of the openings where the gas cap locks in place - and turned the threaded neck with the piece of wood. I don't remember the actual size but I think it was a 1 x 1.

Good luck,

Paul
Camas, WA
XL-fighting solid rivets for upgrade.

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Peter W Johnson
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 4:24 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com; zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Thanks
[quote][b]

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

I did the same as Paul. Don't use a soft wood as it will just tend to splinter. Carve it so it fits the profile of the opening as close as possible. You might try tapping the rim with a wood or rubber mallet and slip some oil between the skin and the lip to remove some of the friction. It can be a real son-of-a-gun to get off but be persistent. I just had to remove one as part of my wing modification and know what you are facing.

If it originally turned in really hard you may have a problem with bad threads. I had one like that and had to cut the cap flange out and buy a replacement. I then borrowed the "big tap" from Zenith to clean out the threads in both tanks and when I installed the new one I used teflon paste on the threads.

Good luck!
Tim

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Peter
I have the zenith tool for re working the tank cap threads if required.
Chris
in Sydney.

dgardea(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Peter,

When you get it apart, I recommend when you reassemble coat the threads with fuel lube (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php) to seal the filler neck. I used this last time I installed the filler neck and it came right out when opening the wing for the upgrade. Fuel lube does not harden and provides a great seal.

Regards,

Dave

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Chris,

Thanks, I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

Peter

--

Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Cap 601 XL. Reply with quote

Boy do I know about that part coming out hard. When we did the CZAW teardown one tank was difficult to remove the flange but it was a one man job and wood did the trick. The second one was a three man 1.5 hour job using a steel insert to turn the flange. We used penetrating oil and worked the flange both ways and gradually it came out. The fit was not good and they used some type of hardening sealer on the threads.

Used the Big tap from Zenith to chase the threads on both tanks and used Fuelube to seal the threads.

P.S.
I ran a low pressure test on my tank the other day with only fuelube on the finger tight threads of both the finger screen and the filler tube, RESULTS: no leaks. Low pressure test is tying a latex glove over the vent tube, inflate the glove and seal it up, wait to see if the glove deflates.

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: