Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinning the Stab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith640-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilot4pay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Skinning the Stab Reply with quote

the IPL implies that one should completely assemble and cleco the entire stab (nose and rear skins) then disassemble deburr etc.
The photographs in the assembly CD imply that the rear skins are riveted (except spar) before fitting the nose skin.
The only down side I see is there will be some difficulties deburring the spar rivet locations. Probably could gently lift the edge of the rear skin to get the top surface, but the back of the spar would be closed off. dunno if that matters too terribly much on as the rivet pretty much crushes any little flakes or aluminum snikkies.
What have you guys done?

- The Matronics Zenith640-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith640-List

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them are even stupider!"
--George Carlin
Scott Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Skinning the Stab Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

I drilled and clecoed the full assembly before doing any riveting (see attached picture).

I noticed that many of the pictures on the CD are from the assembly of their prototype and show parts being riveted before they should be or installed in the wrong sequence. The pictures should only be used as a reference to understand how the parts fit together. The IPL gives you the correct sequence; and even then, you need to be sure to read ahead and use some personal judgment on the best sequence to build your plane.

Good luck with your build.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dsc01660b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.83 KB
 Viewed:  6931 Time(s)

Dsc01660b.jpg

carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Skinning the Stab Reply with quote

Craig, when I built the tail feathers for my 601 HD (still under construction), I did a complete assembly with clecoes and only then did the deburr/clean/prime dance.

Personally, I think it is better to do it this way as you do all the priming in one session: I do it in the garage, where the car is the preferred tenant, so there is some prep work necessary before I do the priming.
So, much better to do it once for the whole assembly.

YMMV...
Cheers
Carlos
CH601-HD, plans
Rear fuse in progress

On 24 June 2010 08:11, pilot4pay <pilot4profit(at)sbcglobal.net (pilot4profit(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith640-List message posted by: "pilot4pay" <pilot4profit(at)sbcglobal.net (pilot4profit(at)sbcglobal.net)>

the IPL implies that one should completely assemble and cleco the entire stab (nose and rear skins) then disassemble deburr etc.
The photographs in the assembly CD imply that the rear skins are riveted (except spar) before fitting the nose skin.
The only down side I see is there will be some difficulties deburring the spar rivet locations. Probably could gently lift the edge of the rear skin to get the top surface, but the back of the spar would be closed off. dunno if that matters too terribly much on as the rivet pretty much crushes any little flakes or aluminum snikkies.
What have you guys done?

--------
Craig Smith
CH640 builder
SN: 0078

[b]

pilot4pay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Skinning the Stab Reply with quote

Thanks, your reasoning makes sense.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them are even stupider!"
--George Carlin
super58d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Skinning the Stab Reply with quote

Craig, I had the same questions and took a middle of the road approach to the issue. I riveted about half way up the rear skins on both sides. This held the entire assembly together much better and helped keep it straight and true while drawing in the forward skins. It then still allowed me to lift the forward sections to debur the new holes from the nose skins. I found that ensuring the whole assembly stayed straight and true while keeping everything together was quite difficult while applying pressure to pull in the nose skins.

My Build Site:
http://www.mykitlog.com/stephen363/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith640-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: