Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch Labeling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
messydeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Switch Labeling Reply with quote

Hi!

I got my panel figured out, but the actual labeling layout has made me think I need to change some things. I originally had planned on having a row of toggle switches about as close together as they'd comfortably go, which is ~0.9" I believe. Here is a rough schematic of how I was planning it originally. At this stage there are no labels, i.e. the text is just to identify items in the computer image.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Dan's panel for labels, to scale, original.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Dan's panel for labels, to scale, original.pdf
 Filesize:  239.01 KB
 Downloaded:  355 Time(s)

messydeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch Labeling Reply with quote

I found that I'd have a hard time putting the actual labels on for the two 2-10 off-on-on switches, assuming I want to have the center positions labeled.

So I figured I could eliminate the 'EFIS alarm' light and move the two offending switches over almost an inch. This would allow me to apply the labels to the center positions. This 'EFIS alarm' is programmable and as far as I understand it could come on as a secondary alarm to the screen alarm for any or all alarms. So I'd have the screen flashing at me as well as this light. There is also an audio alarm that can be programmed to come on through the headphones whenever any or all screen alarms come on. Seems I could rely on just the screen and audio alarms, safely ditching the extra light alarm.

This is for a Sonex, which has a 30 degree tilted main panel and a 1.5" vertical subpanel. The EFIS is an MGL Enigma, which barely fits. The bold black text in this diagram is the exact size the labels might be. Font is Myriad Bold 11.47, fwiw. I thought I'd put in 12, but must have messed it up somehow. Also forgot to remove the 'primer' text on the red knob. I've printed out a full size version and it seems to be easily readable. The only difference is my panel would be Rustoleum Hammered Black and the labels white, so the contrast should be about the same. I just got Decal Pro to make these. Once applied, I've got some clear matte to spray over the top to protect them and cut down on the sorta glossy hammered finish.

The only info I've gotten about labeling is from browsing pics of people's panels on the web. So please let me know if you you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dan's panel for labels, to scale, switches spread.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Dan's panel for labels, to scale, switches spread.pdf
 Filesize:  287.41 KB
 Downloaded:  337 Time(s)

messydeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Switch Labeling Reply with quote

I'm a bit embarrassed, but at least I caught my mistake. I had designed my instrument panel last summer, and in the fall I added a boost pump to the fuel system. When I resumed the instrument panel project a few days ago, I had forgotten all about adding the boost pump.

So I've added a 2-3 switch for this in my design. Below is one possible solution doing it this way, which keeps the center position labeling format by still having the 2-10 switches separated from the others. I've simply moved both the 'push start' button and 'starter engaged' up and the mag switches over.

Dan's panel for labels, to scale, starter above.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Dan's panel for labels, to scale, starter above.pdf
 Filesize:  311.02 KB
 Downloaded:  356 Time(s)

messydeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Switch Labeling Reply with quote

Another option is to put the fuel pump switch in the space between the 2-10 switches and 2-3 switches. The labeling is more cluttered and confusing, but it allows the starter button to stay in the same row.

I also switched the ALT/BAT main power switch with the EFIS PWR switch. I'd prolly do this in the previous layout, but just didn't catch it before posting. So the start sequence would be flip the ALT/BAT switch (up). I think the ALT WARN light would come on in either center or up positions, since the alternator is offline. I'll have to double check how I'd wired it. I have the Jabiru voltage regulator and have the green (LV) wire available for this. As I understand it, this would be the lead to connect to the ALT WARN light.

Next would be the EFIS PWR to center. If the EFIS powers up, I know my EFIS backup battery is working. Flipping it to the up position would bring the main battery online to the EFIS, which is needed to charge the backup.

The fuel pump, left and right mag switches would be turned on in order. The primer cable needs to be pulled open for a few seconds when cold starting. I have a Rotec TBI and doing this opens the diaphragm to allow more fuel to flow. I imagine if this is done when the fuel pump has been turned on, it wouldn't need to stay open as long as with the pump off. I'll figure out later whether it's better if the primer is pulled before or after the fuel pump is turned on.

With my non-pilot eyes, it seems the the layout with the gap between the 2-10 switches and the others is simpler. The center positions for both switches are easier to read. And the gap in the row of switches separates the switches a little more making it easier to find things. For example, suppose I've reached altitude and turned off the boost pump when my mechanical pump fails. It would be easier to locate the fuel pump switch as the left most switch of three, compared to the middle one of five.

Dan's panel for labels, to scale, starter below, opt2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Dan's panel for labels, to scale, starter below, opt2.pdf
 Filesize:  287.47 KB
 Downloaded:  340 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: