Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Center spar upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith650-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck960

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Center spar upgrade Reply with quote

For those of us who had to shim the front flange of the center spar to get it to sit up at the correct angle and if you are installing the upgrade.
I called Zenith and they gave me the ok to trim off the front lower flange before adding the new doubler flange. I wanted to try this so I could get rid of the shim. Some others here have expressed concern over the shim but I didn't think it was much of an issue if done right.
However now I have the opportunity to remove it.
Also the new doubler is the 601 version and again bent to the wrong angle for a 650. Not a problem as it can be unbent a couple of degrees by doing the following.
Today I trimmed off the flange and fitted the doubler drilled and clecoed it and the spar will sit on the floor at the correct angle and in fact looks very good.
This is a bit tricky but very doable. It involves bending a small piece of aluminum to form a copy (template) of the doubler but the length can be only an inch or two. What is important is that the heigth must match the doubler exactly. Build up the spar with the new parts to a point where it can be clecoed into the fuselage with the front flange removed. The new spacers must be installed and the rear uprights in place. Set in the doubler template and tweak the bend until it sits square on the floor and the spar front. Mark the spar at the top of the template to later locate the doubler top edge. Remove the spar from the fuselage. Use the template to fix the new doubler bend angle and fit it to the spar front using the mark. I added a row of A5 rivets P 40 at the bottom of the front to the new doubler.
Hope this helps!
Chuck Dean

- The Matronics Zenith650-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith650-List
alsmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Center spar upgrade Reply with quote

We contacted Zenith several times about this issue. The last contact was essentially we did not build the floor correctly. In early July one of the rep's stopped at our field for fuel. We invited him to look at our 650 and another that had just received their Airworthiness certification. He declined was in a hurry to get home.

- The Matronics Zenith650-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith650-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith650-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: