Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spiral Wrapped Panel Wire Bundle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
messydeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Spiral Wrapped Panel Wire Bundle Reply with quote

Hello!

I've changed the supporting structure for my instrument panel and subpanel for my Sonex and would like to get some feedback on my ideas for securing the wiring.

The main panel is tilted per plans at 30 degrees and is attached via piano on top to the glareshield with a piano hinge, on the sides with nutplates, and to the subpanel with another piano hinge. The subpanel is from a 1/8" thick extruded angle, which is 1.5" tall and 5/8" deep.
Pic 004 is the only one taken with the panel in the closed position. The others are with it tilted partially open for viewing. One concern is getting the wires going to the back of the MGL Enigma EFIS so they aren't dangling down onto the control cables. Looking at pic 006 you can see two white wires going into the left side of the EFIS. I'll move these (as well as a blue wire not shown) into the spiral wrap so they will exit the bundle to the left of the EFIS, about where the grey cable exits. This leaves only the wires going into the 9 pin connector. It came delivered with these wires looped around through the ferrite tube as shown. Orange and green for OAT will go to the red and green wires coming out of the wrap on the right. White won't be connected to anything. This leaves the black ground and red supply wires. I didn't make the black ground long enough, so I'll resplice it. This will allow enough slack to move the ferrite tube to a better place instead of dangling close to the control cables, and more importantly, the center flap and brake handles.

So I'm wondering where a good place for this ferrite tube would be. If it needs to be secured, I could strap it on top of the 9 pin connector with a couple tie wraps around the outside of the tube. Or turn the tube 90 and run it through the middle.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

panel wire bundle 006.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.8 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

panel wire bundle 006.JPG

panel wire bundle 004.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.35 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

panel wire bundle 004.JPG

messydeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Spiral Wrapped Panel Wire Bundle Reply with quote

Another issue is securing the spiral wrapped bundle to the subpanel. I had thought of simply drilling holes every 6" through the top of the subpanel and cinching the bundle down with tie wraps. You can see a couple of temporary safety wire pieces twisted in place in the pics. But instead of doing this, I thought it would be better to support the bundle with those saddle anchors that can be riveted on.

The final issue I have is where the spiral wrap drops below the top of the subpanel on the cabin's left side (right side in pics) and goes between a switch cover and the vertical face of the subpanel. I can't have it continue on top because the light with a red and black wire would interfere with it. I figure I could wrap this area with silicon tape to protect it against the edge of the subpanel. Or maybe adding another section of spiral wrap over the existing spiral wrap, making two layers of it.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

panel wire bundle 007.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  262.23 KB
 Viewed:  2653 Time(s)

panel wire bundle 007.JPG

panel wire bundle 008.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.7 KB
 Viewed:  2653 Time(s)

panel wire bundle 008.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: