Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single shunt for two alternators?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N601RT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Single shunt for two alternators? Reply with quote

Bob and Gang,

I'm building an RV-7A using with an Advanced Flight System (AFS) Advanced Deck 4500s. The 4500s supports a single shunt and has the option for a hall effect transducer to read the output of a second alternator. AFS recommends mounting the hall effect transducer on the cabin side of the firewall and that means bringing the B-lead of one alternator through the firewall.

I'm basically using Z-12 with a Plane Power 60A alternator for my primary alternator and a SD-20 for my aux alternator with a B&C stand-by regulator. I'm not planning the current sensor for the B&C stand-by regulator show on Z-12.

I'm considering using a single shunt that has both alternator outputs connected to one side and the other side of the shunt connected to a ANL60 which would connect to the starter contactor. I would turn on the SD-20 to verify it was operational as part of preflight before turning on the PP-60A alternator. Above idle, the two alternators should not be delivering power at the same time. I think this would allow me to monitor the output of both alternators AND allow me to eliminate the cabin side hall effect transducer.

I'd like help understanding the downside to sharing a single shunt that I may not be seeing.

Regards,

Roy
Flying N601RT: 2003 CH601HDS, nose gear, Rotax 912ULS, All electric, IFR equipped, 1475hrs

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jonlaury

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Single shunt for two alternators? Reply with quote

Quote:
AFS recommends mounting the hall effect transducer on the cabin side of the firewall and that means bringing the B-lead of one alternator through the firewal

Hi Roy,

FWIW, I'm also using an AFS 4500 in my Glasair and have a two alternator set up. When I inquired at AFS about the HE sensor location, Rob told me that people were mounting them in the engine compartment to avoid having the B leads come into the cabin. I was shopping for other HE sensors at the time because the AFS one wouldn't accomodate my two #4 AWG B leads. Two other brands, Tamura and LEM both had the same operating temp limitation of 80 deg C (176 F). Above that temp the accuracy falls off, which to my mind is not a big deal because it still tells me what I want to know, i.e. that my alternator of choice is/isn't producing power.
After checking with AFS re the non-OEM HE sensor and getting back a detailed testing protocol to see if it would work, I decided to use AFS' HE sensor (on its own tidy little PCB w/capacitors and 5' tefzel pigtail) and downsize my B leads to fit in its hole, rather than risk frying my EFIS by rolling my own HE sensor.

John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Single shunt for two alternators? Reply with quote

At 01:40 PM 9/15/2010, you wrote:

Bob and Gang,

I'm building an RV-7A using with an Advanced Flight System (AFS)
Advanced Deck 4500s. The 4500s supports a single shunt and has the
option for a hall effect transducer to read the output of a second
alternator. AFS recommends mounting the hall effect transducer on the
cabin side of the firewall and that means bringing the B-lead of one
alternator through the firewall.

I'm basically using Z-12 with a Plane Power 60A alternator for my
primary alternator and a SD-20 for my aux alternator with a B&C
stand-by regulator. I'm not planning the current sensor for the B&C
stand-by regulator show on Z-12.

I'm considering using a single shunt that has both alternator outputs
connected to one side and the other side of the shunt connected to a
ANL60 which would connect to the starter contactor. I would turn on
the SD-20 to verify it was operational as part of preflight before
turning on the PP-60A alternator. Above idle, the two alternators
should not be delivering power at the same time. I think this would
allow me to monitor the output of both alternators AND allow me to
eliminate the cabin side hall effect transducer.

I'd like help understanding the downside to sharing a single shunt
that I may not be seeing.
You can put the sensor on the forward side of the firewall
and run BOTH b-leads through the single sensor. The display
will then read TOTAL output for the two but since the SD-20
only comes alive when the bus voltage depresses (main alternator
off line) then your instrumentation will only display one
alternator at a time.

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Single shunt for two alternators? Reply with quote

Connecting both alternators to the shunt is the same as connecting the alternators in parallel. Both alternators should not be turned on at the same time.
If one of the alternators shorts out, the fuse will blow from excessive battery current. Shunts have also been known to fail. Either one of these failure modes will open the circuit to both alternators. Sharing components between two circuits is like putting all of one's eggs in one basket.
Dynon has a good diagram of 3 possible ammeter shunt locations on page 3-12:
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/FlightDEK-D180%20Installation%20Guide.pdf
Location "C" eliminates bringing the alternator B lead into the cockpit (for a hall effect transducer) and will show current used by the aircraft except for battery charging current or main contactor coil current.
Joe

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Single shunt for two alternators? Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob and Gang,

I'm building an RV-7A using with an Advanced Flight System (AFS)
Advanced Deck 4500s. The 4500s supports a single shunt and has the
option for a hall effect transducer to read the output of a second
alternator. AFS recommends mounting the hall effect transducer on
the cabin side of the firewall and that means bringing the B-lead of
one alternator through the firewall.

My bad. I thought we were talking ONE current
measurement channel using a hall sensor. If
you can accommodate BOTH a shunt for
one alternator and a hall sensor for a second
alternator then there's no problem for
potential ambiguity of the display . . . I presume
each alternator has its own display.

The hall sensors generally live quite well
under the cowl. We do it all the time on the
TC aircraft. I can't imagine that AFS would
choose an extra-ordinarily fragile device.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: