Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel shimmy - solutions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

I've reached the point that the thing bugging me most on 7RW is the wheel shimmy after landing. I've been putting it off while addressing other things, but it's now at the top of the list.

So, can I get some feedback from people who have solved theirs and exactly how they did it? I've read about wood stiffeners on the landing gear, and replacing the tires with higher-priced and quality tires.

I'd like to hear all the solutions before I decide what to do next.

Bill

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
lbmathias(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Bill,

I tried lots of things and some made it a little better; however, I
think the combination of 3 things created the greatest improvement. I
noticed a little shimmy on a flight about two weeks ago but it was the first
time in over 6 months I have felt it.

The 3 items are:
1) bought 3 new high-end quality 6-ply tires
2) balanced the wheels with the new tires
3) run the pressure at 28 psi

The wooden stiffeners didn't help me at all.

Good luck, Linda

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n5pb(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Bill,

Like Linda Ive tried several things. if you remember my blog from last year, I put new tires on, new brakes pads, new wheels, balanced the tires, checked to make sure i had no looseness in the nose wheel; and although these things helped me, I still have it. My only thought now is to check the alignment of the mains.

Bear

--

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Has anybody taken a look at the RV-6A nose gear? If I remember right, there is one, maybe two curved washers that make the wheel a little hard to turn by hand, but not when mounted on the plane. I believe that Vans' had a similar shimmy problem, but once they re-designed the swivel with the resistance washers, the shimmy problems went away.
I think my RV-6A hangar mate has an extra nose gear at the hangar. If I can find it, I'll study it and see what can be done to the Lightning nose gear to help solve that problem. Or then again, maybe the whole thing needs to be re-designed. It's too nice a plane to be having those issues.
Bernardo Melendez, Kit #110

--- On Wed, 1/19/11, n5pb(at)AOL.COM <n5pb(at)AOL.COM> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions?
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 4:44 PM

Bill,

Like Linda Ive tried several things. if you remember my blog from last year, I put new tires on, new brakes pads, new wheels, balanced the tires, checked to make sure i had no looseness in the nose wheel; and although these things helped me, I still have it. My only thought now is to check the alignment of the mains.

Bear

--

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/19/2011 7:57:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, n45bm(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Has anybody taken a look at the RV-6A nose gear? If I remember right, there is one, maybe two curved washers that make the wheel a little hard to turn by hand, but not when mounted on the plane. I believe that Vans' had a similar shimmy problem, but once they re-designed the swivel with the resistance washers, the shimmy problems went away.
I think my RV-6A hangar mate has an extra nose gear at the hangar. If I can find it, I'll study it and see what can be done to the Lightning nose gear to help solve that problem. Or then again, maybe the whole thing needs to be re-designed. It's too nice a plane to be having those issues.
Bernardo Melendez, Kit #110

Bernardo,

Dont bother. The shimmy has never come from the nose gear. I have an RV-6A and am building a Witman Buttercup with the RV trigear. They are not remotely the same nose gear.

And the design of the Lightning nose gear is superior to Vans in many ways. No redesign needed. Lightning nose gear doesn't tuck under and flip the plane like the Vans.

Doug Koenigsberg
[quote][b]

malannx(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

You might like to email Dennis Borchardt (the Australian Lightning Dealer).
None of his builds have had a shimmy problem, likewise his builders if they
followed his advice. It's an alignment issue. Wooden broom sticks are for
witches and rv builders.
As for nose wheel shimmy check out the following:
http://www.periheliondesign.com/downloads/nosewheelshimmy.pdf

Malcolm Ferguson

WBrowns

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Bill,

When I first built my Lightening I flew the plane for maybe 60 hours before putting on the wheel pants. During that initial 60 hours I never had any shimmy. Almost the first time I taxied the plane after the wheel pants were installed I felt the a shimmy. I was really surprised. Since then I have installed new 6 ply tires which were balanced and the brakes have been redone. Better, but still more shimmy that I would like.

Thinking back to the initial 60 hours I got to wondering why I started feeling the shimmy after the wheels pants were installed. Got to wondering if they were "magnifying" some harmonics that occurred from from the gear leg. So I got to looking at the way the wheel pants are mounted. The inside mounts are fixed but the outside mount "floats" inside the axle. I'll admit that "floats" may be a little strong but it is certainly not tight. I went to the Farm and Fleet Aviation department (LOL) and got some 4/5 inch long expansion springs and some large washers. Removed the outside wheel pant bracket and installed a washer, a spring, and another washer at the other end. Pushed the bracket back in place and re-installed the cotter pin to hold everything in place. Now I have a "stiff" mounting point which seems to have helped reduce shimmy - not perfect but better.

I think it helped reduce the shimmy. It is a simple fix if you want to give it a try.

Bill Browns

Clive J

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

I'm sure it has been mentioned before however, I saw the 'balancing' of
a wheel pant (spat) being done with lead shot set in epoxy.
This was to make the pant the same mass about the axle (I suppose) and
hence stop it from setting up a shimmy.

Was that a Lightning thing or somewhere else (Vans?).

Regards, Clive

--

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
Your question on what others have done to solve wheel shimmy really points out two areas of improvement that I think we need for the Lightning community. Obviously the first is the wheel shimmy itself, and I'll mention a few things below on that, but the second issue is one that I think would greatly benefit the entire Lightning community when seeking info on any issue or concern. And that would be some sort of a searchable index for the past Lightning newsletters. If you had that capability available to you now, all you would have had to do would be to type in wheel shimmy and all past references to wheel shimmy that had ever been published in our newsletter would help you research what the possible causes are and what others have done to work the issue. And there have been lots written about wheel shimmy in numerous past issues. Yes, we do have an index, but not being searchable, you can spend a lot of time looking over the entire index to find all the issues that have mentioned it. So, here is yet another request for help for the newsletter. Surely someone out there has the computer programing knowledge to develop a searchable index for our newsletter. I'm sure the Lightning factory and the new Newsletter editor, John Jenkins, would be happy to have that capability and it would benefit the entire Lightning community.
OK, now to say a few things about wheel shimmy based on my memory of things I have done and things I remember putting in past newsletters that other Lighting builders and flyers have sent in. To start, we are only talking about main gear wheel shimmy. The Lightning does not have any issues with nose wheel shimmy. If there has been one or two instances of a nose wheel shimmy, it is a rare occurrence based on that particular airplane's specific problem. But main wheel shimmy has been noticed by a lot of the Lightnings out there, but the shimmy is not limited to Lightnings. It has also been seen on RVs and any airplane that has the round rod gear legs, and the tapered gear legs seem to be worse than the non tapered gear legs. And speaking of gear legs, another variable is the toe in or toe out setting of the gear axle set up alignment. Malcolm mentioned this and I feel certain that it is one of the biggest factors in not having shimmy - when setting up your alignment, set it straight - zero toe in or out. I am pretty sure that is now how the factory guys set the gear legs.
Another thing to note is that the shimmy only occurs if you routinely fly off of paved runways. There is no wheel shimmy on grass or dirt runways that I have heard of and I have never experienced shimmy when I have landed on grass. So one of the factors is the runway surface. I even noticed a difference when landing on black top verses a paved runway. The black top asphalt runway would always tend to be worse for shimmy, at least that is my experience.
Tire pressure is another big thing. After extensive experimenting - 28 psi seems to be the best that I have found.  For all weights - airplane at gross, or airplane very light when landing - the 28 psi is the best for me.
The stiffer side wall tires also seem to help, so use the 6 ply tires. And wheel balancing helps. It is sometimes hard to balance the small aircraft wheels, but we have found two solutions.  The go kart racking industry has wheel balancing equipment that works great for aircraft wheels and tires. That is what I use. Another possibility is taking your wheels and tires to a cycle shop. Some of them have the ability to balance them. Linda used that approach.
As to wheel pant balancing, Dick Clevenger had an article on that some time ago. The idea here is that if the gear leg has even a minor shimmy, then it will get worse if you add weight to the front or rear of the axle. Since most wheel pants are heavier in the aft part, adding weight to the nose of the pant to balance the overall pant as it will be installed, will help that issue. Bill Browns message about using an expansion spring to stiffen up the outside wheel pant bracket certainly sounds like a great trick. Bill, how about some photos and short write up for a future newsletter. I'm sure JJ would appreciate that for the newsletter.
So to kind of sum it up, wheel or gear leg shimmy seems to have many factors - Type of gear leg, gear leg/axle alignment, tire pressure, tire type, airplane weight, runway surface, wheel pants, and most probably, black magic.
Discussions on all of these things have been in past newsletters, so someone, please come up with a way for us to search the Lightning past issues for this type of info. Of course, this list is another great source of info. Here is where you communicate with the folks flying, experiencing, and solving the issues that we face. Keep up the great work.
Blue Skies,
Buz

In a message dated 1/19/2011 2:17:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bill(at)gdsx.com writes:
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Bill Strahan" <bill(at)gdsx.com>

I've reached the point that the thing bugging me most on 7RW is the wheel shimmy after landing. I've been putting it off while addressing other things, but it's now at the top of the list.

So, can I get some feedback from people who have solved theirs and exactly how they did it? I've read about wood stiffeners on the landing gear, and replacing the tires with higher-priced and quality tires.

I'd like to hear all the solutions before I decide what to do next.

Bill

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=327595#327595===============================================
_-= Use the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Buz:

It's not a perfect solution, but bird in hand...

Anyway, try this:

Go to google.com and do a search that looks like this.

shimmy site:flylightning.net

You can replace the "flylightning.net" with any site that is hosting the newsletters.

You'll get a list of pages, almost all of which will be PDF files from the newsletters, that have the word "shimmy" in them.

You can hold down the shift key while clicking on the "quick view" link for the search results and it will open the PDF. You may then have to put the search term in the PDF viewer as well, but this will at least take you to newsletters with the words you're looking for.

Trying "tire pressure site:flylightning.net" brought up a list of newsletters that talk about tire pressure. You get the idea.

Again, not perfect, but it's pretty useful.

Now, back to shimmy. I had already searched all the newsletters and I had also searched the Matronics list before I made my post. The info is all over the map, and most of it is a) stiffen gear legs, b) 6 ply tires, c) set toe in, or out, or neutral, and d) balance the wheel/tire assembly.

I had already balanced my tires using a motorcycle wheel balancer. It could tell a difference in how smooth it rolled when it wasn't shimmying, but it didn't help the shimmy. So my real intention was to find out what was really working...I guess the best thing would be to take a poll.

Poll one would be for people who never had shimmy. What is their setup, notably the tires and the toe in/out?

Poll two would be to find out what you did to fix shimmy if you had it. What finally worked.

Since I've balanced my tires I'm leaning towards getting 6-ply tires and balancing again and installing. It's the least work and least modification to the airframe. If that doesn't do it, I think I'll make some wooden stiffening pieces to glue to the front and back of the gear.

The goal would be to get as much bending moment away from the center of the rod to raise the stiffness and perhaps get the resonant frequency above what is generated at the speed I see on the ground.

I had also mentioned to Nick that it might be worthwhile to find someone who could machine some bar stock into a landing gear. Take a piece of aluminum the length of the current gear leg, as thick as the current gear, but about twice as wide. Machine the ends into the rod shape needed to fit in the spar box and in the axle weldment. Then machine the rest of the bar into a teardrop shape.

Drill the teardrop part for the brake line, and now you don't need any type of landing gear leg fairing. The teardrop shape would start just outside the fuselage and would end just before the axle weldment, so simple fairings like I already have to fair that shape into the fuse and the wheelpants would be all you'd need.

The leg would have almost the same flexibiltiy in landing, but would be much stiffer fore and aft due to the added material further away from the neutral line.

I have no idea the cost of that process, perhaps Grove would give an estimate. But If the additional cost wasn't more than about $500 I think it would be slam-dunk considering you would save the cost and installation time of the gear leg fairings.

And I'd be happy to beta test them for free!

I will document my progress in addressing this issue for 7RW.

Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Okay, another quick question, hopefully someone is reading to the bottom of this thread.

If I order Aero Classic 5.00 X 5 tires do I need to get matching tubes or can I reuse my old tubes?

selwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I'd have to agree, there are proponents of just about every combination.

I have about 2 inches of toe out, measured as per build manual, standard tires, 28lb pressure and occasionally get a brief shimmy on roll out slowing through around 28 kt, a quick tap on the brakes stops it. It has never been a problem. I'm just in the process of fitting spats so that may be interesting in the light of earlier comments.

My question to the group would be: does anyone with toe out set have significant shimmy problems?

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Selwyn,
Most people would consider toe IN, rather than toe out, if any, to be beneficial. Not there yet on my project, so I'm interested in following this thread and see what results others are getting.
Bernardo Melendez, Kit #`110, Corby Starlet n45bm

--- On Sun, 1/23/11, selwyn <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au> wrote:
[quote]
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 3:48 AM

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "selwyn" <[url=/mc/compose?to=selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au]selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au[/url]>

Hi Bill,

I'd have to agree, there are proponents of just about every combination.

I have about 2 inches of toe out, measured as per build manual, standard tires, 28lb pressure and occasionally get a brief shimmy on roll out slowing through around 28 kt, a quick tap on the brakes stops it. It has never been a problem. I'm just in the process of fitting spats so that may be interesting in the light of earlier comments.

My question to the group would be: does anyone with toe out set have significant shimmy problems?

--------
Cheers, Selwyn
Kit 66

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=327981#327981

http://www.matronics &nbs;--> [quote][b]

voroninmax(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

1 degree toe out is the standard these days.
I would either do that, or set them at 0.
Max
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2011 10:29 AM, "Bernard Melendez, Jr." <n45bm(at)yahoo.com (n45bm(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

Hi Selwyn,
Most people would consider toe IN, rather than toe out, if any, to be beneficial. Not there yet on my project, so I'm interested in following this thread and see what results others are getting.

--- On Sun, 1/23/11, selwyn <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au (selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au)> wrote:
Quote:

From: selwyn <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au (selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au)>
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com (lightning-list(at)matronics.com)
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "selwyn" <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au (selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au)>
>

Quote:
Hi Bill,

I'd hav...http://www.matronics                     &nbs;-->

[quote][b]

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Okee dokee. 0 degrees sound ok to me, but I'm still not convinced. Besides, doesn't the toe out increase as the landing gear is splayed out, when the plane is loaded, and especially at landing? I've always heard that putting 1 or 2 degrees toe IN makes an aircraft track more true, or straight. Food for thought.
Bernardo

--- On Sun, 1/23/11, Maxim Voronin <voroninmax(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions?
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 9:53 AM
1 degree toe out is the standard these days.
I would either do that, or set them at 0.
Max
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2011 10:29 AM, "Bernard Melendez, Jr." <[url=/mc/compose?to=n45bm(at)yahoo.com]n45bm(at)yahoo.com[/url]> wrote:

Hi Selwyn,

--- On Sun, 1/23/11, selwyn <[url=/mc/compose?to=selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au]selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

From: selwyn <[url=/mc/compose?to=selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au]selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au[/url]>
To: [url=/mc/compose?to=lightning-list(at)matronics.com]lightning-list(at)matronics.com[/url]
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "selwyn" <[url=/mc/compose?to=selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au]selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au[/url]>
>

Quote:
Hi Bill,

I'd hav...http://www.matronics   &nbs;-->

http://www.matronics.comofollow" target="_blank"
el="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.matronics.com/contribu===

[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Right on, a bird in hand. I was not aware of that google feature, but as you said it does allow a type of search feature. Certainly better than nothing. I'll suggest the new newsletter editor, John Jenkins, put a note about it in an upcoming issue.
After you switch to the 6 ply tires and balance them again, I think you will notice a big improvement. If you do decide to try the wood stiffeners, I might suggest buying an ax handle at Lowes or Home Depot. With some work on a band saw, then a table saw, and then a router, you can come up with some parts that fit pretty well. However, before you go to all that work, you might want to try an aluminum angle - again from Lowes or Home Depot. I think what I used was about 1/2 inch on each side of the angle and the length was cut to fit the gear leg. Just be sure the thickness of the angle is enough to provide some stiffness to the gear legs. I held them in place on the gear leg with two or three hose clamps. Done carefully, it will still fit under the fiberglass gear leg fairings.
Buz

In a message dated 1/22/2011 2:39:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bill(at)gdsx.com writes:
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Bill Strahan" <bill(at)gdsx.com>

Buz:

It's not a perfect solution, but bird in hand...

Anyway, try this:

Go to google.com and do a search that looks like this.

shimmy site:flylightning.net

You can replace the "flylightning.net" with any site that is hosting the newsletters.

You'll get a list of pages, almost all of which will be PDF files from the newsletters, that have the word "shimmy" in them.

You can hold down the shift key while clicking on the "quick view" link for the search results and it will open the PDF. You may then have to put the search term in the PDF viewer as well, but this will at least take you to newsletters with the words you're looking for.

Trying "tire pressure site:flylightning.net" brought up a list of newsletters that talk about tire pressure. You get the idea.

Again, not perfect, but it's pretty useful.

Now, back to shimmy. I had already searched all the newsletters and I had also searched the Matronics list before I made my post. The info is all over the map, and most of it is a) stiffen gear legs, b) 6 ply tires, c) set toe in, or out, or neutral, and d) balance the wheel/tire assembly.

I had already balanced my tires using a motorcycle wheel balancer. It could tell a difference in how smooth it rolled when it wasn't shimmying, but it didn't help the shimmy. So my real intention was to find out what was really working...I guess the best thing would be to take a poll.

Poll one would be for people who never had shimmy.  What is their setup, notably the tires and the toe in/out?

Poll two would be to find out what you did to fix shimmy if you had it. What finally worked.

Since I've balanced my tires I'm leaning towards getting 6-ply tires and balancing again and installing. It's the least work and least modification to the airframe. If that doesn't do it, I think I'll make some wooden stiffening pieces to glue to the front and back of the gear.

The goal would be to get as much bending moment away from the center of the rod to raise the stiffness and perhaps get the resonant frequency above what is generated at the speed I see on the ground.

I had also mentioned to Nick that it might be worthwhile to find someone who could machine some bar stock into a landing gear. Take a piece of aluminum the length of the current gear leg, as thick as the current gear, but about twice as wide. Machine the ends into the rod shape needed to fit in the spar box and in the axle weldment. Then machine the rest of the bar into a teardrop shape.

Drill the teardrop part for the brake line, and now you don't need any type of landing gear leg fairing. The teardrop shape would start just outside the fuselage and would end just before the axle weldment, so simple fairings like I already have to fair that shape into the fuse and the wheelpants would be all you'd need.

The leg would have almost the same flexibiltiy in landing, but would be much stiffer fore and aft due to the added material further away from the neutral line.

I have no idea the cost of that process, perhaps Grove would give an estimate. But If the additional cost wasn't more than about $500 I think it would be slam-dunk considering you would save the cost and installation time of the gear leg fairings.

And I'd be happy to beta test them for free!

I will document my progress in addressing this issue for 7RW.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=327915#327915===============================================
_-= Use the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

selwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I didn't want to get into a debate about the merits of one or the other, that's been done to death already. I simply want to gather some data.

Is there anyone who has had significant shimmy problems with definite toe out set?

Clive J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Selwyn, I haven't had any shimmy on the Esqual since I reset it and
before nothing that would worry me it was more as I thought the tyres
would wear.
However, I did wrestle with alignment on the Esqual after my Jabiru,
which was very carefully set as required, wore it's tyres out in 150
hrs.
I reset the toe after 5 years (3 sets of tyres) with the plane fully
fuelled but empty.

Initially when rolling the Esqual over a painted hangar floor it
squeaked.
I rolled it over some newspaper and the twist showed it was toed out. I
believe the recommended set was 2 degrees in? I obviously got it wrong
or...
Staring at the thing it looks to me like the aircraft would toe out the
heavier it got. This from the angle of the legs (same as the Jab).
I'd set the toe before it had the wings + engine on and was loaded.
So I did it again full of fuel and with barrels or water in the seats to
simulate 1 pilot.
I set it as straight as I could get it, not in or out.
Now it doesn't squeak.

My thoughts on the shimmy.
If it's out of toe when rolling surely the wheels will try and get
further apart (toed out), further together (toed in).
When the wheel rotates the rubber will flex and then release, flex then
release, as it tries to steer the leg away from it opposite side leg (or
towards it-toed in). Ideal to set up a shimmy?

So my vote goes for parallel at middle weight which is why I did what I
did.

This at the risk of doing the subject to death a little more....sorry.

My question is? How are people repeatedly changing the tracking? Surely
you only get one shot and then you drill the holes, after they are
drilled how do you make adjustments?

Regards, Clive

--

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Selwyn and Clive,
Not trying to throw gasoline on the fire, but from my experience in tail wheel aircraft, and from general consensus and information I've read on the subject, toe in is preferred. The reason is, is that toe out tends to make the plane wander from the center line. And from looking at the geometry of the Lightning landing gear, that is, trailing back (like the RV's), not straight out to the sides, it would appear to me, and it makes sense that as the aircraft is loaded (as in landing and on roll out), the little bit of toe in built onto the airframe when empty would cause the wheels to toe out, hopefully parallel to the airplane center line, or thereabouts.
The REAL question in my mind, is how much toe in to build in when the wingless (light weight) fuselage is in your shop so that the desired results are achieved when the plane is finished and loaded. I'm planning to build in 1 or 2 degrees of toe IN on my plane when I get to that stage in my build.
On my Corby Starlet, the wheels are set at 1degree toe in, and it tracks straight. But the landing gear is vertical to the ground when the plane is in a landing, or take off position, with the tail wheel off the ground. That way, when my plane is loaded, the gear splays out, but the tracking does not change. Matter of fact, most tail wheel planes have a little toe in built in.
The geometry of the landing gear when the rubber hits the road is what is important. I believe that wheel shimmy is caused by the wheels trying to go in a different direction than the plane is going, and their propensity to grab, and then let go of the contact surface.
As stated, I'm not trying to confound the issue, and everyone is free to choose their poison, but I'm pretty clear on how I will do mine.
Regards,
Bernardo Melendez, Kit # 110

--- On Mon, 1/24/11, James, Clive R <clive.james(at)uk.bp.com> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: RE: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions?
Date: Monday, January 24, 2011, 1:26 AM

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "James, Clive R" <[url=/mc/compose?to=clive.james(at)uk.bp.com]clive.james(at)uk.bp.com[/url]>

Hi Selwyn, I haven't had any shimmy on the Esqual since I reset it and
before nothing that would worry me it was more as I thought the tyres
would wear.
However, I did wrestle with alignment on the Esqual after my Jabiru,
which was very carefully set as required, wore it's tyres out in 150
hrs.
I reset the toe after 5 years (3 sets of tyres) with the plane fully
fuelled but empty.

Initially when rolling the Esqual over a painted hangar floor it
squeaked.
I rolled it over some newspaper and the twist showed it was toed out. I
believe the recommended set was 2 degrees in? I obviously got it wrong
or...
Staring at the thing it looks to me like the aircraft would toe out the
heavier it got. This from the angle of the legs (same as the Jab).
I'd set the toe before it had the wings + engine on and was loaded.
So I did it again full of fuel and with barrels or water in the seats to
simulate 1 pilot.
I set it as straight as I could get it, not in or out.
Now it doesn't squeak.

My thoughts on the shimmy.
If it's out of toe when rolling surely the wheels will try and get
further apart (toed out), further together (toed in).
When the wheel rotates the rubber will flex and then release, flex then
release, as it tries to steer the leg away from it opposite side leg (or
towards it-toed in). Ideal to set up a shimmy?

So my vote goes for parallel at middle weight which is why I did what I
did.

This at the risk of doing the subject to death a little more....sorry.

My question is? How are people repeatedly changing the tracking? Surely
you only get one shot and then you drill the holes, after they are
drilled how do you make adjustments?

Regards, Clive

--

selwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel shimmy - solutions? Reply with quote

Hi Clive,

My solution for altering the alignment was to drill a bigger hole, I now have AN5 bolts through the legs. If I was doing it again I would start with AN3 bolts, do some testing, adjust and redrill to AN4 if necessary. If my first setting was OK I would still replace the AN3 bolts with AN4 early in the test program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: