Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

When on the ground, my Slingshot seems to lag a bit from rudder pedal application to steering response. There is a pre-tension on the springs but I suspect the response could be improved by increasing the pre-tension, which begs the question why springs at all? What is the purpose of the steering springs? I've flown a Sonex with no steering springs at all and it seemed to handle fine on the ground and its tail weight is very very light compared to my Slingshot. I don't plan to eliminate the steering springs on my Slingshot but am considering increasing the pre-tension in hopes of improving the steering response.

Any thoughts, preferably based on experience, will be much appreciated. Keep in mind that the Slingshot tail (while on the ground) is much heavier than most Kolbs. Mine is about 120 lbs with full fuel without the pilot.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

When on the ground, my Slingshot seems to lag a bit from rudder pedal
application to steering response. There is a pre-tension on the springs but
I suspect the response could be improved by increasing the pre-tension,
which begs the question why springs at all? What is the purpose of the
steering springs? I've flown a Sonex with no steering springs at all and it
seemed to handle fine on the ground and its tail weight is very very light
compared to my Slingshot. I don't plan to eliminate the steering springs on
my Slingshot but am considering increasing the pre-tension in hopes of
improving the steering response.

Any thoughts, preferably based on experience, will be much appreciated.

--------
Thom Riddle
Thom
have you ever been in a tail dragger when the tail wheel fluttered on
landing? without some type of dynamic dampening something would break /
bend. you should be able to make for a more positive control with stiffer
springs... but make sure they are not so stiff that the tail wheel wont
break free when needed, maybe more or different grease,,, or less sand
and dirt in the bearings, would make it turn more easily.

boyd young

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ces308

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Hi Thom,

I was having a problem turning my M3X and I took the edge off the detent on the tail wheel.I took just enough off so it would stay straight,but would turn at the least amount of pressure applied.Turns great now .

Just a thought...oh yeah...I assumed the springs were to take some of the stress off the rudder.....????

chris ambrose
M3X/Jabiru A-2200
N327CS

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Springs included in Kolb kits are very light. In other than ideal conditions they are not stiff enough to transmit rudder input to the tailwheel horn.

I use Maule compression springs on my MKIII.

You could use stiffer springs and probably work much better.

I believe the tailwheel springs prevent damage to the rudder when taxiing, especially rough conditions. I can see direct/hard linkage between tailwheel horn and rudder horn causing damage.

john h
mkIII
Burns Junction, Oregon

john h
mkIII
Burns Junction, Oregon

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. All useful information. If it looks like I have enough unused portion on my compression springs, I will reduce the chains by one link and see how it does. If not enough unused space i'll buy longer springs of similar rate and pre-tension them a bit more.

- Anonymous
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Thom,
Stiffened up the tail springs on a MK3. Helped ground handling in cross winds. May go a little stiffer yet.A no spring connection may possibly get you into trouble control wise if the tail wheel should lock up or freeze
G.Aman

--

Bill Long

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

With my Firefly I found that heavier springs helped but sometimes you just have to add power half way into your landing to get her back on track.
Bill Long
Holt MI (MI38)

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, June 12, 2011 3:18:42 PM
Subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT?

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Thom Riddle" <riddletr(at)gmail.com (riddletr(at)gmail.com)>

When on the ground, my Slingshot seems to lag a bit from rudder pedal application to steering response. There is a pre-tension on the springs but I suspect the response could be improved by increasing the pre-tension, which begs the question why springs at all? What is the purpose of the steering springs? I've flown a Sonex with no steering springs at all and it seemed to handle fine on the ground and its tail weight is very very light compared to my Slingshot. I don't plan to eliminate the steering springs on my Slingshot but am considering increasing the pre-tension in hopes of improving the steering response.

Any thoughts, preferably based on experience, will be much appreciated.

--------
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)
Kolb Slingshot SS-021
Jabiru 2200A
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Hit a rock or something, the shock on the tail could be pretty severe if you don't have springs. It's a taildragger; there's gonna be some lag.

-Dana

b young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com> wrote:[quote] [quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "b young" <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com>When on the ground, my Slingshot seems to lag a bit from rudder pedal application to steering response. There is a pre-tension on the springs but I suspect the response could be improved by increasing the pre-tension, which begs the question why springs at all? What is the purpose of the steering springs? I've flown a Sonex with no steering springs at all and it seemed to handle fine on the ground and its tail weight is very very light compared to my Slingshot. I don't plan to eliminate the steering springs on my Slingshot but am considering increasing the pre-tension in hopes of improving the steering response.Any thoughts, preferably based on experience, will be much appreciated.--------Thom RiddleThom h ave you content [quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tail wheel steering SPRINGS or NOT? Reply with quote

Today I removed one of the tailwheel steering compression springs from my Slingshot and measured it. Relaxed it is 2.5" long, 1" OD, and wire dia. is .11". It will compress a total of 1" down to 1.5" fully compressed. I measured the spring rate with my fish scale and it is about 50 lb./inch. It was not really compressed at all when I removed it, no more than 1/16" or just taking up slack in the chain, really. I re-rigged it so that it is pre-tensioned in mid-compression (1/2") thus each is under about 25 lbs of compression in static mode.

Results from flying pattern with two full stop landings:
DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT! It is virtually direct steering now but still has 1/2" of spring compression left to absorb shocks from rough fields.

For the slingshot it made all the difference in the world. It might not be necessary for Kolbs with lighter tails but it makes the high speed (take-off and landing speeds) ground control almost as easy as a short leg firestar.

- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: