Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronhansen123(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Hi listers,

I've been quiet a long time due to life interfering with my plans, but I need some help.  I had about 60 hours on my 601HDS with a Stratus on it.  I was fighting temp. issues from the start, adjusting the carb jets and such.  I had Ram modify the heads before it flew.  Anyway, I never went past the Stratus 230 deg. "water temp" redline, but often approached it.  Taxiing in after 60 flight hours I broke a valve seat and later learned broke a piston.  I have not been pleased with Stratus support for years so I had Ram Performance rebuild the engine.  He also made some other changes and it now runs stronger and cooler, but still not cool enough.  I moved the "water temp" probe from the Stratus setup in the cylinder head dry-hole to actual water as it comes out of the engine.  Ram says water temp redline should be 220 deg. and the engine should run at the thermostat setting of 190 deg.  Research I've done would indicate the same for long engine life.

Anyway, I still get water temp climbing to 220 a few minutes after takeoff on a warm day and I suspect it would go higher.  My radiator is the stock Zenair radiator installed per plans.  Gaps are sealed.  Coolant is 50/50 per instructions.  I'm beginning to think the Zenith setup is not suitable for a 100HP engine that is water cooled.  The Rotax they designed it for only uses water to cool the heads.

I don't want to ruin my new Ram-rebuilt engine.  It is running really well: stronger, cooler, lower fuel burn......but it's not running at the temps it should do to a weak cooling system.  If anyone has data or ideas that would help I would appreciate hearing from you.  I recall all sorts of discussion from years past (this plane took me many years to build from plans), but I can't remember where all those ideas ended up.  I know some were abandoned, but others probably solved some or all of the problem.  I've gone through the archives, but you never know if you're missing something important that came later.

Thanks,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles
601HDS, Ram-Rebuilt (formerly Stratus) Subaru EA81
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

My system has been pretty good since Al sold me his old radiator - 3" thick, 16" wide core (21" total with a small tank on each side) and about 5" tall. I reworked the exhaust to move the muffler out of the cowling and under the belly, and air flows over the oil pan as well as through the radiator.

In TX, it stays around 95 - 100 degrees F in the summer and I can't sustain full-power climbs without banging against the redlines so I step climb. I'm reworking things again and I'm hoping it will be much better. I had the radiator and oil pan sharing the same inlet duct and I will be separating them, and trying an exhaust-augmented outlet duct. I hope to be done within a few weeks of fiddling and will post results and pictures.

Gary Krysztopik
Pelican w/Stratus EA-81
San Antonio, TX

---- ron hansen <ronhansen123(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Hi listers,

I've been quiet a long time due to life interfering with my plans, but I
need some help. I had about 60 hours on my 601HDS with a Stratus on it. I
was fighting temp. issues from the start, adjusting the carb jets and such.
I had Ram modify the heads before it flew. Anyway, I never went past the
Stratus 230 deg. "water temp" redline, but often approached it. Taxiing in
after 60 flight hours I broke a valve seat and later learned broke a
piston. I have not been pleased with Stratus support for years so I had Ram
Performance rebuild the engine. He also made some other changes and it now
runs stronger and cooler, but still not cool enough. I moved the "water
temp" probe from the Stratus setup in the cylinder head dry-hole to actual
water as it comes out of the engine. Ram says water temp redline should be
220 deg. and the engine should run at the thermostat setting of 190 deg.
Research I've done would indicate the same for long engine life.

Anyway, I still get water temp climbing to 220 a few minutes after takeoff
on a warm day and I suspect it would go higher. My radiator is the stock
Zenair radiator installed per plans. Gaps are sealed. Coolant is 50/50 per
instructions. I'm beginning to think the Zenith setup is not suitable for a
100HP engine that is water cooled. The Rotax they designed it for only uses
water to cool the heads.

I don't want to ruin my new Ram-rebuilt engine. It is running really well:
stronger, cooler, lower fuel burn......but it's not running at the temps it
should do to a weak cooling system. If anyone has data or ideas that would
help I would appreciate hearing from you. I recall all sorts of discussion
from years past (this plane took me many years to build from plans), but I
can't remember where all those ideas ended up. I know some were abandoned,
but others probably solved some or all of the problem. I've gone through
the archives, but you never know if you're missing something important that
came later.

Thanks,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Good point Larry. I found that a higher pitch setting ran cooler than a fine pitch. Counter-intuitive to me. 12 degrees ran hot, 16 degrees was noticeably cooler.

Gary
---- Larry McFarland <larry(at)macsmachine.com> wrote:
Quote:
HI Ron,

The cooling issue is very common, but coolant temps should never see more
than 200 on a hot day in a perpetual climb. My cowl opening just ahead of
the oil pan for some reason cools better in a climb than going fast flat and
level. As you've done the jetting, you might consider the propeller pitch.
My Warp Drive 70-inch 3 blade set for 17-1/2 degrees per their instrument
does a much better job of cooling flat out at or near

120 mph. The pitch allows lower rpms, better speed. I trim nose down
carefully to get best speed by setting rpms to 4300 for best fuel burn until
the rate of climb gage indicates level flight. You feel the center of lift
move slightly back on the wing and get optimum cooling this way too. Odd, I
flew for a year or more before realizing that trimming in the last bit of
down elevator at a cruise rpm would increase performance and cooling so
much. Used to also worry that the nose was always slightly up before
discovering this.

I seldom fly flat out as there's no way to justify the fuel burn and engine
wear at 5000 rpm.

Note the links show the hole in front of the oil pan and heat from the
exhaust pipes is fed cool air either side of the cowl looking straight in

at aluminum sleeve clearance aluminum. They made a significant difference.

http://www.macsmachine.com/images/completion/full/601ezclosefrtrt.gif

http://www.macsmachine.com/images/cowling/full/cowelfrtlower.gif

Hope this helps,

Fly safe

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

[mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of ron hansen
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 5:53 PM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [Probable Spam] Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling
problem

Hi listers,

I've been quiet a long time due to life interfering with my plans, but I
need some help. I had about 60 hours on my 601HDS with a Stratus on it. I
was fighting temp. issues from the start, adjusting the carb jets and such.
I had Ram modify the heads before it flew. Anyway, I never went past the
Stratus 230 deg. "water temp" redline, but often approached it. Taxiing in
after 60 flight hours I broke a valve seat and later learned broke a piston.
I have not been pleased with Stratus support for years so I had Ram
Performance rebuild the engine. He also made some other changes and it now
runs stronger and cooler, but still not cool enough. I moved the "water
temp" probe from the Stratus setup in the cylinder head dry-hole to actual
water as it comes out of the engine. Ram says water temp redline should be
220 deg. and the engine should run at the thermostat setting of 190 deg.
Research I've done would indicate the same for long engine life.

Anyway, I still get water temp climbing to 220 a few minutes after takeoff
on a warm day and I suspect it would go higher. My radiator is the stock
Zenair radiator installed per plans. Gaps are sealed. Coolant is 50/50 per
instructions. I'm beginning to think the Zenith setup is not suitable for a
100HP engine that is water cooled. The Rotax they designed it for only uses
water to cool the heads.

I don't want to ruin my new Ram-rebuilt engine. It is running really well:
stronger, cooler, lower fuel burn......but it's not running at the temps it
should do to a weak cooling system. If anyone has data or ideas that would
help I would appreciate hearing from you. I recall all sorts of discussion
from years past (this plane took me many years to build from plans), but I
can't remember where all those ideas ended up. I know some were abandoned,
but others probably solved some or all of the problem. I've gone through
the archives, but you never know if you're missing something important that
came later.

Thanks,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

tshankland(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Ron,
I fly A 601HD with a status Suburu. My engine temperature runs at 190 with an occasional 200 on long hot climbouts. I think that a lot of the problems builders have had with this engine is due to high temperatures. I spent 1 year designing my cooling system and gave a couple of seminars at OSH about cooling systems design. I don't know if that stock design can ever give really good results.My system looks somewhat "radical" and is not easily adapted to a finished aircraft. The problem is that the stock system has no ducting of pressure recover, plus the fact that exhaust and engine heat go into the radiator. Various idea expressed in this forum can help, but the root cause is an inadequate design

Tim Shankland
[quote] ---

Flying_Airplane_2007_002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  13295 Time(s)

Flying_Airplane_2007_002.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Can the plastic nubs that stick up from the Zenith 601 radiator (VW Rabbit part if I recall) be cut off without making a hole in the radiator or weakening it?  These are the aprox. 1/2" dia. by 1/2" tall cylindrical posts with a hole in the center, two on the top, two on the bottom of both ends of the radiator.  They probably don't disturb the air into the radiator a lot, but I'd sure like to saw them off.

Thanks,

Ron
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM, ron hansen <ronhansen123(at)gmail.com (ronhansen123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Hi listers,

I've been quiet a long time due to life interfering with my plans, but I need some help.  I had about 60 hours on my 601HDS with a Stratus on it.  I was fighting temp. issues from the start, adjusting the carb jets and such.  I had Ram modify the heads before it flew.  Anyway, I never went past the Stratus 230 deg. "water temp" redline, but often approached it.  Taxiing in after 60 flight hours I broke a valve seat and later learned broke a piston.  I have not been pleased with Stratus support for years so I had Ram Performance rebuild the engine.  He also made some other changes and it now runs stronger and cooler, but still not cool enough.  I moved the "water temp" probe from the Stratus setup in the cylinder head dry-hole to actual water as it comes out of the engine.  Ram says water temp redline should be 220 deg. and the engine should run at the thermostat setting of 190 deg.  Research I've done would indicate the same for long engine life.

Anyway, I still get water temp climbing to 220 a few minutes after takeoff on a warm day and I suspect it would go higher.  My radiator is the stock Zenair radiator installed per plans.  Gaps are sealed.  Coolant is 50/50 per instructions.  I'm beginning to think the Zenith setup is not suitable for a 100HP engine that is water cooled.  The Rotax they designed it for only uses water to cool the heads.

I don't want to ruin my new Ram-rebuilt engine.  It is running really well: stronger, cooler, lower fuel burn......but it's not running at the temps it should do to a weak cooling system.  If anyone has data or ideas that would help I would appreciate hearing from you.  I recall all sorts of discussion from years past (this plane took me many years to build from plans), but I can't remember where all those ideas ended up.  I know some were abandoned, but others probably solved some or all of the problem.  I've gone through the archives, but you never know if you're missing something important that came later.

Thanks,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles
[b]

andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Ron,

I feel your pain and would be interested in any responses you get. I've been flying my STRATUS powered AVID for two weeks today and I am having the same cooling problems you are having. What size is your radiator?

Andy F.
[quote] --

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

My radiator core is aprx. 12" wide x 19" long x 1.5" thick.  It's a single layer radiator.  I'm looking at the Zenair installation design and referencing a book called "Cooling Your Wankel" that I just bought from Aircraft Spruce.  Most of it applies to any water-cooled aircraft engine installation, though some is Wankel specific.  I think I can improve efficiency by adhering to some design concepts in the book better than Zenair did.  I'll be doing some mods and testing this weekend if the weather's good and will post results.

Ron
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Andy Fultz <andynfultz(at)bellsouth.net (andynfultz(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] Ron,

I feel your pain and would be interested in any responses you get.  I've been flying my STRATUS powered AVID for two weeks today and I am having the same cooling problems you are having.  What size is your radiator?

Andy F.
[quote] --

Ronbo135(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/28/2011 2:43:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
[quote] Ron,
I fly A 601HD with a status Suburu. My engine temperature runs at 190 with an occasional 200 on long hot climbouts. I think that a lot of the problems builders have had with this engine is due to high temperatures. I spent 1 year designing my cooling system and gave a couple of seminars at OSH about cooling systems design. I don't know if that stock design can ever give really good results.My system looks somewhat "radical" and is not easily adapted to a finished aircraft. The problem is that the stock system has no ducting of pressure recover, plus the fact that exhaust and engine heat go into the radiator. Various idea expressed in this forum can help, but the root cause is an inadequate design

Tim Shankland
[quote] ---

Ronbo135(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim.

Your conclusion that the design is inadequate is in line with what I'm learning and hearing.

In a message dated 6/28/2011 2:43:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, tshankland(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
[quote] Ron,

Tim Shankland
[quote] ---

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I think its more like no design at all. I hear all the time about how a water cooled system CAN be better than air cooled. I mean look at the Mustang!

The fact of the matter is, its really never been done.

If its any consolation the faster the airplane the harder it appears to make it work. RV’s running water cooled motors almost always run 20 to 25 knots slower than their air-cooled counterparts for the same fuel burn.

As for me my RV7a has an IO360 (Lycoming) but I did build a variation of my Zodiac wing root electric fuel pump system..I.e junked the mechanical fuel pump…Just to upset the “proper airplane engine” establishment..Smile

Frank
601HDS..Stratus with ram heads
RV7a Io360

Cell/Mobile +1 541 602 8756
Tel +1 541 715 7568

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ronbo135(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:42 AM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem

Thanks, Tim.

Your conclusion that the design is inadequate is in line with what I'm learning and hearing.

[quote][b]

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

The Mustang and the Spitfire were designed around water-cooled engines. Their cooling systems were designed right into the airframe from the start. Both planes had much lower cooling drag than other aircraft of the time with similar horsepower. The best water cooling systems for aircraft have the radiators buried either in the fuselage or wing roots with carefully designed ducts directing airflow over them. The Mustang cooling system produced almost enough thrust to overcome the cooling drag entirely. It's going to be very difficult to match that when you have to fit a water cooling system on an airframe that wasn't really designed for it.

To help the radiator cool the engine, one trick is to block the heated air from the cowl from flowing into the radiator so it can get cooler ambient air flow. I have a scoop on my radiator that extends ahead of the outlets from the cowl. I never see a problem with high water temps although I do see high oil temps on long climb-outs on hot days.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

Quote:
I think its more like no design at all. I hear all the time about how a water cooled system CAN be better than air cooled. I mean look at the Mustang!

The fact of the matter is, its really never been done.

If its any consolation the faster the airplane the harder it appears to make it work. RV’s running water cooled motors almost always run 20 to 25 knots slower than their air-cooled counterparts for the same fuel burn.

As for me my RV7a has an IO360 (Lycoming) but I did build a variation of my Zodiac wing root electric fuel pump system..I.e junked the mechanical fuel pump…Just to upset the “proper airplane engine” establishment..Smile

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.
do not archive.

do not archive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I was hoping to saw those things off this weekend.  If anyone has relevant info I would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great holiday weekend,

Ron
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM, ron hansen <ronhansen123(at)gmail.com (ronhansen123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Can the plastic nubs that stick up from the Zenith 601 radiator (VW Rabbit part if I recall) be cut off without making a hole in the radiator or weakening it?  These are the aprox. 1/2" dia. by 1/2" tall cylindrical posts with a hole in the center, two on the top, two on the bottom of both ends of the radiator.  They probably don't disturb the air into the radiator a lot, but I'd sure like to saw them off.

Thanks,

Ron
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM, ron hansen <ronhansen123(at)gmail.com (ronhansen123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi listers,

Thanks,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

jpkarnes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I had cooling issues as well but were due primarily to having the muffler in front of the radiator. I installed Supertrapp mufflers on either side of the engine and my cooling issues were resolved.

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I have to agree bout that. I put a wrapper heat muff around my Stratus
Subaru muffler to selectively extract and dump heat overboard in the summer
or use the heat in the winter. This is a major component for cooling my
Stratus Subaru. The muffler sets crosswise behind the engine. The wrapper
has a Scat tube to bring in cool air from the front cowl and one that
exhausts the heat on the opposite side. It really works well.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
--

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I like the simplicity of that vs. re-designing and re-building a radiator installation.  I'm not familiar with the Supertrapp mufflers.  What style or part number did you use?  Thanks for the help.

Ron
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM, jpkarnes <jpkarnes(at)comcast.net (jpkarnes(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Stratus-List message posted by: "jpkarnes" <jpkarnes(at)comcast.net (jpkarnes(at)comcast.net)>

I had cooling issues as well but were due primarily to having the muffler in front of the radiator.  I installed Supertrapp mufflers on either side of the engine and my cooling issues were resolved.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.==========
ay Browse, Chat, FAQ,
="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List" target="_blank">http======
http://forums.mle, List Admin.
=====

[b]

jpkarnes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

SuperTrapp Universal 17" S/C Elite Muffler - 2" i.d. Inlet/Chrome

I'm pretty sure this is the muffler I used. They have worked great and leave airflow completely unimpeded. I used two - one on each side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

I use a Burns stainless steel muffler and it has worked well too.

On 7/5/2011 8:22 PM, jpkarnes wrote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is the muffler I used. They have worked great and leave airflow completely unimpeded. I used two - one on each side.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=345049#345049

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Zenair601HDS Stratus/Ram cooling problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Ron
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM, jpkarnes <jpkarnes(at)comcast.net (jpkarnes(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Stratus-List message posted by: "jpkarnes" <jpkarnes(at)comcast.net (jpkarnes(at)comcast.net)>

I'm pretty sure this is the muffler I used.  They have worked great and leave airflow completely unimpeded.  I used two - one on each side.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=345049#345049

n,
www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
ronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
Matt Dralle, List Admin.
=====

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: