Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail Mod???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

All;

I find that even with the VG's, I run out of up trim as I am approaching to land. If I want to approach at an IAS of less than 90Kts I have to have full up trim and hold some back pressure on the stick. I want to be able to trim hands off for at least 75KIAS and then add back pressure for the flare. So I am thinking about making a modification to the tail and am wondering if any of you have done something similar.

I am thinking of adding about 1 - 1 1/2" to the rear of the tail to include the trim tab. Has anybody done or looked into doing this to the standard tail? If so, how did you do it and what were the results? I added a "drawing" of what I am contemplating. The gray parts are what I am thinking of adding. No funny remarks about the "drawing" since I am not a Picasso. Surprised)

THANKS!

Galin

[img]cid:ii_1317ce157db8d0ce[/img]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.51 KB
 Viewed:  8436 Time(s)

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG

tmclam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Galin/Before you get into any surgery, accurately recheck your Weight and Balance.If she is nose heavy some Lead aft may be a simpler solution.
              Ted

To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:11:43 PM
Subject: Tail Mod???

All;

I find that even with the VG's, I run out of up trim as I am approaching to land. If I want to approach at an IAS of less than 90Kts I have to have full up trim and hold some back pressure on the stick. I want to be able to trim hands off for at least 75KIAS and then add back pressure for the flare. So I am thinking about making a modification to the tail and am wondering if any of you have done something similar.

I am thinking of adding about 1 - 1 1/2" to the rear of the tail to include the trim tab. Has anybody done or looked into doing this to the standard tail? If so, how did you do it and what were the results? I added a "drawing" of what I am contemplating. The gray parts are what I am thinking of adding. No funny remarks about the "drawing" since I am not a Picasso. Surprised)

THANKS!

Galin

[img]cid:ii_1317ce157db8d0ce[/img]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8435 Time(s)

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

I have extended the elevator by approximately 1.5". I have heard many comments that this might be a bad idea making the plane too sensitive to the elevator, but nothing like this has happened, the plane is very docile, but the forces for the elerons and the elevator are now comparable. 
Now, I have much more effective elevator allowing me to hold the nose up longer on landing. In fact I am considering adding another inch to the elevator.

Checking the Weight and Balance is a good idea no matter if you are going to extend the elevator or not.

Jerzy

Sent: Sat, July 30, 2011 6:34:26 PM
Subject: Re: Tail Mod???

p {margin:0;}
Galin/Before you get into any surgery, accurately recheck your Weight and Balance.If she is nose heavy some Lead aft may be a simpler solution.
                          &nbs p;     Ted

All;

I find that even with the VG's, I run out of up trim as I am approaching to land. If I want to approach at an IAS of less than 90Kts I have to have full up trim and hold some back pressure on the stick. I want to be able to trim hands off for at least 75KIAS and then add back pressure for the flare. So I am thinking about making a modification to the tail and am wondering if any of you have done something similar.

I am thinking of adding about 1 - 1 1/2" to the rear of the tail to include the trim tab. Has anybody done or looked into doing this to the standard tail? If so, how did you do it and what were the results? I added a "drawing" of what I am contemplating. The gray parts are what I am thinking of adding. No funny remarks about the "drawing" since I am not a Picasso. Surprised)

THANKS!

Galin

[img]cid:1.442452743(at)web82207.mail.mud.yahoo.com[/img]

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8432 Time(s)

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

THANKS for the quick reply. I did a complete W&B back when I first started to tackle this issue. The airplane W&B is very well within the envelope during all phases of flight. It is actually a tiny bit aft so I really don't want to move it any further aft than it already is. That is why I first started with the VG's and they made a big difference. But it still needs a bit more nose up authority at slow speeds.

Jerzy, do you have VG's on your elevator or just the additional 1.5"? Also, did you extend the entire elevator to include the trim tab?

Galin

On Saturday, July 30, 2011, jerzy krasinski <jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net (jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
> I have extended the elevator by approximately 1.5". I have heard many comments that this might be a bad idea making the plane too sensitive to the elevator, but nothing like this has happened, the plane is very docile, but the forces for the elerons and the elevator are now comparable. 
> Now, I have much more effective elevator allowing me to hold the nose up longer on landing. In fact I am considering adding another inch to the elevator.
Quote:

Checking the Weight and Balance is a good idea no matter if you are going to extend the elevator or not.
>  

Quote:
Jerzy

Quote:
Subject: Re: KIS-List: Tail Mod???

>

Quote:
                                                                                                                                                                &nbs p;                               Ted 
>

Quote:

From: "Galin Hernandez" <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)>
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
> Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:11:43 PM

Quote:

All;

I find that even with the VG's, I run out of up trim as I am approaching to land. If I want to approach at an IAS of less than 90Kts I have to have full up trim and hold some back pressure on the stick. I want to be able to trim hands off for at least 75KIAS and then add back pressure for the flare. So I am thinking about making a modification to the tail and am wondering if any of you have done something similar.
>  

Quote:
I am thinking of adding about 1 - 1 1/2" to the rear of the tail to include the trim tab. Has anybody done or looked into doing this to the standard tail? If so, how did you do it and what were the results? I added a "drawing" of what I am contemplating. The gray parts are what I am thinking of adding. No funny remarks about the "drawing" since I am not a Picasso. Surprised)
>  

[quote] THANKS!

Galin

</mail/s/?view=att&th=1317e09a3a354655&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw> [quote][b]

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

This is pissing me off. I have replied twice using my PC and both ended up with no message. I don't know what the problem is but it is really frustrating.

Galin: check on my website under the Tips & Tricks button for Elevator Extension for two examples of exactly what you are proposing. Bill Shertz's mod shows good detail of a solution to one issue regarding the additional counter balance weight. Al's use of carbon fiber would help reduce weight.

By the way, I think I know someone in Big-D area that has some glasswork experience who could be bribed into helping.
Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:

wschertz(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Yes, I added about 1.5 inches just as you described. I trim for 70 KIAS for the pattern okay. Am on travel now, will lookup pictures when I get home.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS
Phase one testing Completed

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:11 PM

All;

I am thinking of adding about 1 - 1 1/2" to the rear of the tail to include the trim tab. Has anybody done or looked into doing this to the standard tail? If so, how did you do it and what were the results? I added a "drawing" of what I am contemplating. The gray parts are what I am thinking of adding. No funny remarks about the "drawing" since I am not a Picasso. Surprised)

THANKS!

Galin

[img]cid:1C56F8EFF652485287534DEC9111D13D(at)WschertzPC[/img]

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8418 Time(s)

Horiz_Stab_Mod.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

I have VGs added recently, they help too, but I feel that an extra inch is needed, making total of 2.5" extension.
My trimmer is roughly twice the size of the original trimmer. With all of these I can trim ok for approach for landing, however the nose still drops down at relatively high speed.
Jerzy
To: "kis-list(at)matronics.com" <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Sat, July 30, 2011 9:46:01 PM

THANKS for the quick reply. I did a complete W&B back when I first started to tackle this issue. The airplane W&B is very well within the envelope during all phases of flight. It is actually a tiny bit aft so I really don't want to move it any further aft than it already is. That is why I first started with the VG's and they made a big difference. But it still needs a bit more nose up authority at slow speeds.

Jerzy, do you have VG's on your elevator or just the additional 1.5"? Also, did you extend the entire elevator to include the trim tab?

Galin

On Saturday, July 30, 2011, jerzy krasinski <jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net (jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
> I have extended the elevator by approximately 1.5". I have heard many comments that this might be a bad idea making the plane too sensitive to the elevator, but nothing like this has happened, the plane is very docile, but the forces for the elerons and the elevator are now comparable.
> Now, I have much more effective elevator allowing me to hold the nose up longer on landing. In fact I am considering adding another inch to the elevator.
Quote:

>

Quote:
Jerzy

Quote:

>

Quote:
&n bs p; Ted
>

Quote:

Quote:

All;

>

Quote:
>

[quote] THANKS!

Galin

</mail/s/?view=att&th=1317e09a3a354655&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw>
Quote:

[b]

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

I built a new carbon fiber elevator in the factory mold and made it 2 inches longer in chord and i made the trim tab about half the span of the right elevator. I also increased the size of the counter balance. I have not run out of trim in any condition and the aileron and elevator forces are about equal. I think adding 2 inches to the elevator chord is a must do mod to a tr-1.

Remember to rebalance the elevator.

I have a set of original fiberglass factory elevators if anyone ever needs them.

Scott

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 30, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
All;

THANKS!

Galin

<Horiz Stab Mod.JPG>

Flyinisfun(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Concerning the elevator extension:

I added about 1 3/4" to the elevator of my TR-1. In the process I knifed edged the trailing edge with poor flying results. I had about 3/4" neutral travel without any plane response. It dawned on me that the original trailing edge had a 1/4" offset and maybe this was my problem. I took a sanding block and sanded the trailing edge blunt by about 1/8 inch with a dramatic difference. I now have control response through complete up and down travel and feed back in the stick in the neutral zone. When extending the elevator, I suggest this to be a mandatory thing to do. I have also put VG s on the lower edge which added more control.

Jesse  
[quote][b]

wschertz(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Here is what I did.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:46 PM

Galin

Quote:
I have extended the elevator by approximately 1.5". I have heard many comments that this might be a bad idea making the plane too sensitive to the elevator, but nothing like this has happened, the plane is very docile, but the forces for the elerons and the elevator are now comparable.
Now, I have much more effective elevator allowing me to hold the nose up longer on landing. In fact I am considering adding another inch to the elevator.

Jerzy

&nbs p;   Ted

All;

THANKS!

Galin

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

Extending_and_balancing_Elevators.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Extending_and_balancing_Elevators.pdf
 Filesize:  192.8 KB
 Downloaded:  291 Time(s)

fredorosa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Galin,

If you go to Bob's web site, I have a description and pictures of the elevator extension (with trim tab) procedure. I think Bill and others also have
their elevator mods there too.You want to extend the trim tab as well to keep the trailing edge uniform and to to better control the larger elevator.

Al
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Bill Schertz <wschertz(at)comcast.net (wschertz(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] Here is what I did.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:46 PM

Galin

> Now, I have much more effective elevator allowing me to hold the nose up longer on landing. In fact I am considering adding another inch to the elevator.
Quote:

Quote:
Jerzy

Quote:

>

Quote:
                                                                                                                                                                 &nbs p;                               Ted
>

Quote:

Quote:

All;

Quote:

Quote:
THANKS!

Galin

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

[b]

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Hi Jerzy,

Has you main gear contact location been moved forward?

The stock trim tab size is too small. It should be double the size.

Mark

--

jforster(at)baisch.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Mark,

By double the size, do you mean in span or chord?

And how much do you suggest moving the main gear forward?

Thanks!
John Forster

--

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Mark,

When I first assembled my elevators and did the initial cuts for the trim tab it just didn't look right. It seemed to be much too large so I reread the instructions and discovered that I had incorrectly read the location of the hinge line. I filled the area and recut along the correct location. Now it seems that if I had not caught the mistake I might have been better off. Funny how things seem to go in circles.

Bob Reed

Sent: Wed, August 3, 2011 5:45:35 AM

--> KIS-List message posted by: Mark Kettering <mantafs(at)earthlink.net (mantafs(at)earthlink.net)>

Hi Jerzy,

Mark

--

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

John,

It is best to increase the tab in length. But you could add a second tab on the other side or you can increase the tab in both length and cord to double the area. Just increasing it in cord is not as effective but as a quick fix you can scarf of more cord to the current tab and test fly it. Make sure your surface is still in the range of balance.

Is yours a TR1 or TR4? In any case I can not tell from my old notes what amount I did. The way to figure it out is you find alpha for the airfoil at 0.9 of max Cl. This is about 6 to 8 degrees for our airfoil depending on flaps. From this subtract the wing incidence angle, I think 2 degrees. Then add 3 degrees. I think I used 8 degrees for this total (7-2+3=Cool. Then find your most aft CG and estimate the height of this. From this point make a line down to the ground that is slanted 8 degrees aft of vertical. Where this line meets the ground is the location for the main gear. This method is from Darrol Stinton's book.

Mark

--

jforster(at)baisch.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!

I've got a TR-4. I'm still building, so let the flaming begin Smile

I can add length to the tab fairly easily at this point, but adding chord would mess up my servo installation.

I'll give the calcs a go. I don't have Stinton's book, but I've got Skip Smith's book and I'll see what he has to say.

John

--

lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

Seeing all the improvements you guys are coming up with based on your
actual flying experience makes me almost want to build another one.
Keep up the good work so I can share vicariously in your progress. Larry

On 8/3/2011 9:22 AM, John Forster wrote:
[quote]

Thanks Mark!

I've got a TR-4. I'm still building, so let the flaming begin Smile

I can add length to the tab fairly easily at this point, but adding chord would mess up my servo installation.

I'll give the calcs a go. I don't have Stinton's book, but I've got Skip Smith's book and I'll see what he has to say.

John

--

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Tail Mod??? Reply with quote

The main gear was installed at some angle forward using angular shims between the fuselage and the gear. That moved the ground contact point a few inches forward

The trim tab was too small, I roughly doubled it in size.

Jerzy

Sent: Wed, August 3, 2011 5:45:35 AM

--> KIS-List message posted by: Mark Kettering <mantafs(at)earthlink.net (mantafs(at)earthlink.net)>

Hi Jerzy,

Mark

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: