Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mburdge39

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Hello! I am picking up a firefly this weekend and was hoping somebody could help me find an instructor with a Mark III. I live in n.w. PA. Any help would be appreciated!
Mike

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

mburdge39

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

My firefly survived the journey to it's new home. Still looking for someone in the PA/OH area that might be able to help me out with some Kolb training. Prefer not to train in a 172. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

99217164_1thumb_550x410.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.76 KB
 Viewed:  16991 Time(s)

99217164_1thumb_550x410.jpg

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Prefer not to train in a 172. Any ideas?
Thanks!>>

If you already know how to fly just practice with your machine until you are
happy that you are in control when taxiing. Then pick a nice day, early
morning, big field or long runway and open the throttle. SLIGHT forward
stick to get the tail up and just sit there. She will climb away quite
happily. Dont let the speed drop.If things get too fast ease the stick
back.Level out , throttle back fly around at 1000 ft maybe try a GENTLE
stall so that you know what speed to land at according to your ASI. Add 10
mph to stall speed and fly an approach. Cut the throttle over the hedge
watching your nose to maintain speed. Flare JUST ABOVE the ground (if you
are on grass it is when the blur changes to individual blades of grass.) and
keep her flying as long as possible until the stick is back in your stomach
and the wheels touch the ground.

Do Not crowhop.Things happen too fast at low level. Get well clear of the
ground and give yourself time to sort it out.

Of course if you cannot fly already. Get some lessons.

Good luck

Pat

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Have to agree with Pat
The difference between solo and two up, even in the MK3, makes it like two different airplanes. G.Aman,FS2 builder, MK3C Jabiru 2200A now

--

mburdge39

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Appreciate the tips guys.
I am 43 and years ago had a 2 axis quick. Then did PPG. Most recently been flying trikes. Rudders are new to me!
I just got in from taxi practice and my feet are not connected with my brain yet(opposite from the trike steering). I will keep practicing until the muscle memory is there and I can control it naturally without "thinking". My buddy has a Piper Cub and I can go up with him anytime I want, I just don't want it to be counter productive to flying my Kolb.
Here are the 2 airstrips I will eventually be flying my Firefly out of!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwnx3mOh6xU

Thanks again and look forward to being part of the Kolb family!

mburdge39

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Guess I should have said rudder "pedals" are new to me.

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

If you are not used to pedals, the cub is the perfect airplane to learn that skill. In my opinion, if you can fly the cub confidently, you will be ok in the firefly. Just remember to carry a bunch of power on landing until you get used to how fast the fly slows down.

mburdge39

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Thanks Jason!
Went up in the Cub yesterday and I am looking forward to actually "seeing" out of the front of my Firefly! It was a beautiful flight looking out of the sides and I did get some stick & rudder time.

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Went up in the Cub yesterday and I am looking forward to actually "seeing"
out of the front of my Firefly! It was a beautiful flight looking out of the
sides and I did get some stick & rudder time.

--------
Mike
Firefly
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stick and rudder time??????? in the air or on the ground?

once airplanes are in the air they all fly the same, (within design limits
of the plane) the big difference is on the ground, tail draggers and
nose draggers act a bit differently,

once you know how to fly,,, the stick and rudder time most beneficial is
while on the ground, or close proximity thereof.

if you are just learning to fly, it is all worth while. on a cross country,
there are looooong periods of time that can get , for lack of a better term
BORING, interspersed with short moments when the wind thinks it wants to be
in charge, i.e.: the shoulder belts dig into your skin, and the sunny side
seems to forget where the sun is,

you may ask your instructor if doing small S turns, and slowly increasing
the intensity, till you no longer have to think about which foot to press,
and how much pressure is needed to get the desired results, once that is
second nature the rest is not so difficult, note I refused to use the word
easy, it all depends on your skill level. once you master direction
control in a tail dragger, the biggest problem at that point is learning
the design limits and parameters of the plane you are flying.

boyd young
mkiii utah

do not archive.

Ducati SS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

I finished construction of my Firefly one year ago. I also moved to a new house with enough land to build a 900' grass strip. Bought a tractor to build and maintain the strip and had a hanger built. And then the plane sat for a year because I could find no training. As a GA pilot I was worried about the transition to a light weight high drag aircraft. Well after looking at it for a year I decided bend it or not I might as well give it a try. Made the first flights about 2 weeks ago. Left here ( Argyle NY ) and flew to a much longer grass strip to practice. At the end of 2 to 3 hrs. flight time I was able to return home. A very nice flying little airplane, however I do not think it is possible to overstate how fast it will stop flying and fall out from under you on final. I have spoken to other local pilots, and their are numerous stories of bent or smashed landing gear. We also lost a local ultralight pilot last week, he crashed 100 yards from his runway. We need rule changes that will allow and encourage training.

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Ducati SS wrote:
I finished construction of my Firefly one year ago. I also moved to a new house with enough land to build a 900' grass strip. Bought a tractor to build and maintain the strip and had a hanger built. And then the plane sat for a year because I could find no training. As a GA pilot I was worried about the transition to a light weight high drag aircraft. Well after looking at it for a year I decided bend it or not I might as well give it a try. Made the first flights about 2 weeks ago. Left here ( Argyle NY ) and flew to a much longer grass strip to practice. At the end of 2 to 3 hrs. flight time I was able to return home. A very nice flying little airplane, however I do not think it is possible to overstate how fast it will stop flying and fall out from under you on final. I have spoken to other local pilots, and their are numerous stories of bent or smashed landing gear. We also lost a local ultralight pilot last week, he crashed 100 yards from his runway. We need rule changes that will allow and encourage training.

I could not agree more. We need accessibility to quality transition instruction for the appropriate sport plane aircraft. The Sport Plane Industry needs to step up to the plate, if this industry and us pilots are going to survive

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Rule change? There are no rules that disallow training. Nor does anyone I know of discourage training. I don't get your point. Am I being dense?

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Ducati SS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

The changes that came with the light sport regs. eliminated many of the fat ultralight / 2 place training exemption aircraft and instructors. These were in many cases very capable instructors that no longer meet FAA regs. Most local GA operations are not interested in ultralight training. Training in C 150 will not prepare one for ultralight type aircraft. IT would be expensive and time consuming for the former ultralight instructors to comply with the new regs.

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

We need rule change!>>

What rule?. How about `Find out something about it before you fly`.

I would have thought that fairly obvious when flying any new type.

Cheers

Pat

Ducati SS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

The point here is that the lightweight 2 place aircraft formerly used as trainers were transitioned to light sport and the 2 place training exemption eliminated. If the instructors who provided training in those airplanes wanted to continue they would need higher ratings. Most stopped training . Yes there is GA training , but in many areas there is no longer access to lightweight trainers and aircraft. As a licensed pilot ( 30+ years) Kolb builder, CGS Hawk owner and active EAA member I can assure you that I looked into training and gathered all the info on these airplanes that I could find. The Eaa and FAA are aware of the situation and are working to correct it, but the newest changes are not likely have much affect.

Luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

BTW: Love the olive drab paint job!

mburdge39

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Thanks Luke! I took a liking to it as well.
When it is nice out I am getting taxi time in the Firefly, airtime in the Cub.
When it is raining outside I am reading Stick & Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche & Powered Ultralight Flying by Dennis Pagen.
My feet are starting to link up with my brain!
The Kolb "clang" is a bit annoying, any quick, easy tips for quieting those control wires?

FIRESTARII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Very Happy High guys I am not tooting my Horne her please don't take it the wrong way. I am a ME-CFII, ATP, and Advanced Ground Instructor and have very near nine thousand hours in every thing you can dream up and some you've probably never even heard of, I have been very fortunate. Very Happy I only say this because I live in Ohio just south of CLE near CAK. If you have access to an airplane regardless of the type and it has dual controls I would be more than happy to donate my time to help any Kolber transition. I will even take you up in my FSII, but I'm not gonna let ya fly her! I love her way too much for that. I am also open to helping out with BFR's, IPC's, transition training or any thing that you may need. I would also be open to initial training but not for free as the demands on my time are too significant for that. Mind you it's not for the hours like a new CFI. I could care less about that it's simply about helping the folks who feel they need it and to make the skies safer for all of us. Feel free to contact me any time day or night if you need help or get stuck. I have had a wonderful group of guys help me along the way and I simply want to return the favor. Thanks to every body on this list and fly safe. Thanks, Seth A. Miller

racerjerry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here, but I would much prefer for you to have dual training in a Mark III. Just remember that because of the high thrust line, very light weight and draggy airframe, when you chop power; be ready to get the stick FORWARD or the nose will come UP and forward airspeed will go down IMMEDIATELY. Do yourself a favor and fly the Firefly all the way to the ground with some power, especially in the beginning, lest you retract the landing gear.

The Firefly is a sweet flying airplane but does not land like a Cub.

mburdge39

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Firefly owner looking for Mark III training in PA Reply with quote

I am very grateful to the previous owner for giving me a DVD of my Firefly in flight & landings with the ASI and stick in the video frame. All of his landings were at a fairly steep approach angle(compared to the Cub) and 60 with half flaps(0, half, and full on the Firefly), his roundout would reduce his speed to around 55, and the wheels would touch between 45-50. His landings were very consistent with the airspeed. All landings and takeoffs he used the half flap setting.
Once again this video he gave me is worth it's weight in gold to me as it confirms everything everyone has said about flying it to the ground.
Thanks again,
Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: