Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First flight of 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosescpa(at)dcdi.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: First flight of 2012 Reply with quote

I almost hate to admit this, but yesterday I gathered up my A & P friend (200+ lbs) and we flew to Nampa, Idaho, about 215 miles west of Blackfoot. Just like Bob, we had perfect weather with light winds and temps in the 30's and 40's (F). TAS hovered around 140 - 145 mph and through one mountain pass ground speed reached 172 mph with a tail wind.

The reason for the trip was to look at an RV 6A for sale in Nampa. The price was reasonable and about the same vintage as my Pulsar. It had a lot of get up and go and was similar to flying the Pulsar but with more weight capacity and room. However, being the accountant that I am, I had to compare operating costs before making the decision. Fuel costs for the Pulsar are running me a little less that 10 cents per mile with oil changes every 50 hours and no oil added in between. The RV has high compression pistons (10:1) which require 100 LL pushing the fuel cost to about 30 cents per mile. Oil burn, about a quart every ten hours in the Lycoming, would add a little.

So I bought my A & P friend a hamburger and we flew back home a little cramped in the Pulsar. For now, I'll just enjoy what I've been blessed with and quit dreaming about those trips into the rough Idaho back country.

N460GM is AD kit #460 and has the brown ribs. 912 UL 80 hp with a Prince P-Tip prop.

Best wishes for a good flying new year.

Austin Moses
Blackfoot, Idaho
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: First flight of 2012 Reply with quote

Austin,

I came up with the same results when I did the calculation for fly the Super Cruiser compared to my Pulsar. Only difference is the Super Cruiser had 4 seats and alot more room. Dreams are cheap, following up on dreams can be expensive.

Cheers,
Barry

To: "Pulsar Group" <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:11:17 PM
Subject: First flight of 2012

I almost hate to admit this, but yesterday I gathered up my A & P friend (200+ lbs) and we flew to Nampa, Idaho, about 215 miles west of Blackfoot. Just like Bob, we had perfect weather with light winds and temps in the 30's and 40's (F). TAS hovered around 140 - 145 mph and through one mountain pass ground speed reached 172 mph with a tail wind.

The reason for the trip was to look at an RV 6A for sale in Nampa. The price was reasonable and about the same vintage as my Pulsar. It had a lot of get up and go and was similar to flying the Pulsar but with more weight capacity and room. However, being the accountant that I am, I had to compare operating costs before making the decision. Fuel costs for the Pulsar are running me a little less that 10 cents per mile with oil changes every 50 hours and no oil added in between. The RV has high compression pistons (10:1) which require 100 LL pushing the fuel cost to about 30 cents per mile. Oil burn, about a quart every ten hours in the Lycoming, would add a little.

So I bought my A & P friend a hamburger and we flew back home a little cramped in the Pulsar. For now, I'll just enjoy what I've been blessed with and quit dreaming about those trips into the rough Idaho back country.

N460GM is AD kit #460 and has the brown ribs. 912 UL 80 hp with a Prince P-Tip prop.

Best wishes for a good flying new year.

Austin Moses
Blackfoot, Idaho
[quote]
[b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: