Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feels like voltage to me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millner(at)me.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Feels like voltage to me Reply with quote

Touching at the same time has nothing to do with the relative safety, or
foolishness. of this approach. You could touch one finger, wait 30
seconds, and touch the second without any increase in risk, or for that
matter, improvement in safety. In fact, going slower might just improve
the safety slightly... but don't do this anyway!

Paul

On 5/22/2012 10:10 AM, rayj wrote:
Quote:

I really have to ask. Are you making the claim that in all the years
"Sparky" used his fingers, He NEVER had his fingertips touch at
different times? Assuming 60Hz, a difference in contact times of the
the fingertips of 1/30 of a second would allow more than enough time
for any affect that was going to take place between 1st and 2nd finger
contact.

Never more than 1/30 of a second, ever.

I'm skeptical.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Feels like voltage to me Reply with quote

My dad told the story that when he was an engineer on the Westinghouse East Pittsburgh "Atom Smasher" around 1940--One day he was on a platform that suddenly became electrified. He was instantly shocked with about a million volts pulsing at microsecond charging pulses (and at substantial current!).

When he screamed for help someone cut the power. He kidded my dad, "What's the problem?...those were just microsecond pulses".

"Yes" said Dad, "But those were the most uncomfortable microseconds of my life..."

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
user9253

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Feels like voltage to me Reply with quote

I have heard about navy electricians finding a blown fuse by using their hand as a voltage tester. Evidently ships have banks of exposed fuses on panel boards. The electrician would touch each fuse with his thumb and finger as he ran his hand along the rows of fuses. When he received a shock in his hand, he knew that fuse was bad.
I used a neon voltage tester at work on 3 phase 480VAC. If the neon light lit up when touching the 2 ends of a fuse, then that fuse was bad. Another test touches the top of one fuse and the bottom of the adjoining fuse. In this case, the tester should illuminate if all is well.
The same principle is used in automotive (or aviation) fuses that illuminate when blown. The LED that is in parallel with the fuse illuminates when the fuse is blown because it is in series with the load. If the load is disconnected, the blown fuse indicator will not work.
Joe

jay(at)horriblehyde.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Feels like voltage to me Reply with quote

Correct; voltage does not kill, current flow does- ask any live line worker

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: