Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing gear shimmy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Yes! Titanium for the win!

Okay, it just sounds cool. I'd be interested. To cover a few points first:
1) I know the wheels/tires are balanced. I bought a balancer just for that purpose. I'm satisfied they're spot on.

2) I've tried everything from 22 to 38 PSI. No detectable change.

3) It's WORSE with wheelpants. Much worse.

4) I saw no difference with the heavier ply tires, so switched back. The shape was different with the heavier ply and I didn't want to mess with any wheelpant mods to get them to fit. Since they made no difference, I switched back.

5) Braking during the onset of shimmy appears to shorten duration, but I don't know if it's a direct effect, or if it just causes a faster transition out of the resonant frequency.

I absolutely love flying 7RW...I just don't enjoy touch and goes or landings very much.

I have a 3000 mile trip planned for July, and I would sure like to get this off my list before I go. I've been using the trip to get the last few things I want ironed out (like the ADS-B weather finally!) and this is the last one. Trying to plug away at it.

Tomorrow I'll add 6 layers of fiberglass to the stiffeners. If that doesn't do it then the stiffeners are not the solution. And I'll await Nick's info on titanium.

I may fly up and see if Nick will try a few high speed runs to see what he thinks.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
rick(at)trickair.com

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

I had the gear leg shimmy on my Lightning 830LW. I took pieces of maple2" x
3" and shaped them to fit the gear leg . I routed out the front edge to fit
the gear leg then made the piece of wood the same width as the gear leg and
then tapered the trailing edge. I bonded the wood on to the gear leg with
Plexus MA310. It is a methacrylate adhesive. I then laminated over the gear
leg and the wood with 3 layers of 12 oz. carbon fiber and vinylester resin.
The results are so far so good.
Rick Discher

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

craigsumner(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Outstanding video Bill! Thanks for taking the time to mount a camera for
all to see. I will share this with others and see what our NASA/DoD
engineers think could be the right fix. I know the folks in Shelbyville
(who are outstanding folks) would like to see this issue resolved.
Best Regards,
Craig Sumner
N155JM
Esqual 074

--

NowackLinden(at)gmx.de

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

I think some time ago somebody mentioned that round gear legs are prone
to shimmy.
IMHO the trouble results from the spring properties of the round gear
legs and a certain toe in.
You can see on the video that the gear legs do a fast fore and aft
motion . If one looks at the gear geometry one sees that
a bending aft will also mean a decrease in toe in ( or increase in toe
out, whatever) This will momentarily increase the gear drag and result
a circular motion of the wheel and the gear leg.
The solution: make machined airfoil- shaped gear legs ( made from
Aluminum, no expensive and difficult to machine Titan necessary!) that
don`t bend fore and aft but still can do their bending outward for the
necessary suspension. They could have a groove for the brake line on
the inside, so we would`t even need leg fairings!
Just my 3 Euro-Cents!

Gerd D-ELIY No. 89

Am 10.05.2012 03:45, schrieb Craig Sumner:
[quote]

Outstanding video Bill! Thanks for taking the time to mount a camera for
all to see. I will share this with others and see what our NASA/DoD
Best Regards,
Craig Sumner
N155JM
Esqual 074

--

nick(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Gerd,

Its funny you mention the airfoil shape. I discussed it yesterday with our
machine shop and they are getting prices on both.

Nick

--

elledien

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Tha gear legs of Pioneer 200/300 are made exactly how described from Gerd.
More than one third of the leg, from the wheel axle, is "sliced" from both side.
Probably the reason is the one anounced.
If I find a picture of this leg, I will provide to show one.
Regards
Luigi
Esqual I-9854

Da: Gerd + Uli Nowack <NowackLinden(at)gmx.de>
A: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Inviato: Giovedì 10 Maggio 2012 15:46
Oggetto: Re: Lightning-List: Re: Landing gear shimmy

--> Lightning-List message posted by: Gerd + Uli Nowack <NowackLinden(at)gmx.de (NowackLinden(at)gmx.de)>

I think some time ago somebody mentioned that round gear legs are prone
to shimmy.
IMHO the trouble results from the spring properties of the round gear
legs and a certain toe in.
You can see on the video that the gear legs do a fast fore and aft
motion . If one looks at the gear geometry one sees that
a bending aft will also mean a decrease in toe in ( or increase in toe
out, whatever) This will momentarily increase the gear drag and result
a circular motion of the wheel and the gear leg.
The solution: make machined airfoil- shaped gear legs ( made from
Aluminum, no expensive and difficult to machine Titan necessary!) that
don`t bend fore and aft but still can do their bending outward for the
necessary suspension. They could have a groove for the brake line on
the inside, so we would`t even need leg fairings!
Just my 3 Euro-Cents!

Gerd D-ELIY No. 89

Am 10.05.2012 03:45, schrieb Craig Sumner:
[quote] --> Lightning-List message posted by: "Craig Sumner"<craigsumner(at)comcast.net (craigsumner(at)comcast.net)>

Outstanding video Bill!  Thanks for taking the time to mount a camera for
all to see.  I will share this with others and see what our NASA/DoD
Best Regards,
Craig Sumner
N155JM
Esqual 074

--

NowackLinden(at)gmx.de

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Nick,

If you ´ve got the price please tell us!
I think I might pick up a pair of short ones in October!

Gerd

Am 10.05.2012 16:22, schrieb Nick Otterback:
[quote]

Gerd,

Its funny you mention the airfoil shape. I discussed it yesterday with our
machine shop and they are getting prices on both.

Nick

--

jh(at)gulftel.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

I had some serious shimmy problems in my Vans RV3 which has similar gear/leg construction.

Nearly all of my shimmy problem was solved by simply balancing the pant/wheel fairings. I also reduced tire press. to 22 pounds.

Bench testing revealed considerable aft weight prior to balancing.

Jim Henderson, Lightning in Gulf Shores, AL

checkpoint2(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

How does one balance gear leg pants and wheel fairings? Thank you
for your contribution. Bob Haas.

--

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Bob,
Both gear leg fairings need to be aligned with the fuselage center line (for lateral trim purposes), No balancing needed. The wheel pants need to be statically balanced fore and aft. First remove the wheel pants and build a jig that will freely support the fairing along the axle center line first. The rear of the pant should be considerably heavier. Then add weight to the very front of the fairing until it balances. You can add the weight to the outside, then when they balance, epoxy the weight inside to the front of the fairing. Lead shot and epoxy work great for this.
Bernardo
Lightning kit #110 in Houston, TX

--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Bob Haas <checkpoint2(at)comcast.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Re: Landing gear shimmy
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, May 11, 2012, 3:42 PM

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Bob Haas" <[url=/mc/compose?to=checkpoint2(at)comcast.net]checkpoint2(at)comcast.net[/url]>

How does one balance gear leg pants and wheel fairings? Thank you for your contribution. Bob Haas.

--

checkpoint2(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

OK That makes sense, a whole new aspect to contend with Thanks! Bob.

Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 5:35 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com (lightning-list(at)matronics.com)

Bob,
Both gear leg fairings need to be aligned with the fuselage center line (for lateral trim purposes), No balancing needed. The wheel pants need to be statically balanced fore and aft. First remove the wheel pants and build a jig that will freely support the fairing along the axle center line first. The rear of the pant should be considerably heavier. Then add weight to the very front of the fairing until it balances. You can add the weight to the outside, then when they balance, epoxy the weight inside to the front of the fairing. Lead shot and epoxy work great for this.
Bernardo
Lightning kit #110 in Houston, TX

--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Bob Haas <checkpoint2(at)comcast.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Lightning-List: Re: Landing gear shimmy
Date: Friday, May 11, 2012, 3:42 PM

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Bob Haas" <wlmailhtml:/mc/compose?to=checkpoint2(at)comcast.net (checkpoint2(at)comcast.net)>

How does one balance gear leg pants and wheel fairings? Thank you for your contribution. Bob Haas.

--

jeynon2

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Has anyone considered torsion in the spar box as a possible culprit for the shimmy? The video shows both legs vibrating forward and back, and it is the spar box that links the two. This could also explain why stiffening the gear legs has little effect. You might check to see if the holes through the fiberglass for the bolts that attach the spar box to the fuselage have elongated indicating some slippage which would allow the spar box to flex. Perhaps just re-torquing the bolts would help.

John Eynon

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Correct .... sorta kinda. It appears to me that the problem lays in the wheel(s) alignment and the fact that the main gear is splayed back. Consider this: as the wheels come in contact with the runway, if they are not lined up with the line of travel, they catch slightly on one side and then they spring back past the alignment point and catch on the other side (front or rear of the wheel). There is a torque force on the entire length of the gear itself, which in turn causes the gear to flex fore and aft. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (unless someone convinces me with a better explanation)
Bernardo Melendez
kit #110

--- On Mon, 5/28/12, jeynon2 <jeynon2(at)frontier.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Landing gear shimmy
Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 9:40 AM

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "jeynon2" <[url=/mc/compose?to=jeynon2(at)frontier.com]jeynon2(at)frontier.com[/url]>

Has anyone considered torsion in the spar box as a possible culprit for the shimmy? The video shows both legs vibrating forward and back, and it is the spar box that links the two. This could also explain why stiffening the gear legs has little effect. You might check to see if the holes through the fiberglass for the bolts that attach the spar box to the fuselage have elongated indicating some slippage which would allow the spar box to flex. Perhaps just re-torquing the bolts would help.

John Eynon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374087#374087http://www.matronics.com/Nav========================http://forums.ma - List Contribution Web Site; &nb; http:========================

[quote][b]

nowacklinden(at)gmx.de

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

John,

You`re practically sitting on the spar box!
Don`t you think your tender behind would feel the vibration if there´d be any?
I can assist the voiced opinion that the unbalanced wheel pants play an important role in the shimmy drama: So far I have made high speed taxi tests with my D-ELIY up to 55kts on the runway, no wheel pants installed so far, and observed absolutely no shimmy, neither empty nor fully loaded with wife Uli and full tanks.
BTW I hope to get my german Permit To Fly in July. Or so.

Gerd kit no.89

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:
Datum: Mon, 28 May 2012 07:40:51 -0700
Von: "jeynon2" <jeynon2(at)frontier.com>
An: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Re: Landing gear shimmy

Quote:

Has anyone considered torsion in the spar box as a possible culprit for
the shimmy? The video shows both legs vibrating forward and back, and it is
the spar box that links the two. This could also explain why stiffening
the gear legs has little effect. You might check to see if the holes through
the fiberglass for the bolts that attach the spar box to the fuselage have
elongated indicating some slippage which would allow the spar box to flex.
Perhaps just re-torquing the bolts would help.

John Eynon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374087#374087

EAFerguson(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

So how do you explain the shimmy in Lightnings like mine that have no wheel pants? BTW, It was less noticeable when the aircraft was new.

Earl Ferguson
Kit # 5

In a message dated 5/29/2012 9:31:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, nowacklinden(at)gmx.de writes:
Quote:
I can assist the voiced opinion that the unbalanced wheel pants play an important role in the shimmy drama:

[quote][b]

davemcc

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Earl
This is certainly not a new subject. I built my Esqual in 05 and it has 810 hrs on it. Let me tell u what I have tried.
1. clamping "broom handles" to the legs-this worked the
best
2. epoxy aluminum rods to the legs
3. epoxy fiberglass rods to the legs
4. wrapping legs with fiberglass
5. balance wheel pants- still have weights inside pants
6. remachined new struts a couple thousands thicker
this helped but did not cure it
7. balanced my tires in water, with a shaft in wheel, buble
balancer, spinning tires on aircraft
8. had video taken in 05 found it to be in mains not nose
wheel after I built a springed nose gear, this worked well
but did not fix problem
9. bought the best tires
10. replace all rims and brakes

I only am trying to save u guys a lot of work, the only thing that worked for me was finding a spin balancer that would fit the small rims. Now I have no shimmy
Flat spots on the tires cause it to shimmy also

good luck

Dave McCorquodale
167DM

[quote] ---

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Group,
Question for you guys having shimmy problems:
On Lightnings, is this happening to the main landing gear on both the LSA and the old style gears, or only on one type?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Bernardo Melendez, kit #110

--- On Thu, 5/31/12, Dave Mccorquodale <corky(at)hbci.com> wrote:
[quote]
Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 6:58 AM

Earl
This is certainly not a new subject. I built my Esqual in 05 and it has 810 hrs on it. Let me tell u what I have tried.
best
6.  remachined new struts a couple thousands thicker
but did not fix problem
9. bought the best tires

I only am trying to save u guys a lot of work, the only thing that worked for me was finding a spin balancer that would fit the small rims. Now I have no shimmy

good luck

Dave McCorquodale
167DM

[quote] ---

barnett6088(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Bernard
I see one resonance around 8 to 10 miles per hour, taxiing faster or slower gets away from it.  There is a second resonance around 40 knots on takeoff which I attribute to the wheels being out of balance.  I have not spin balanced my wheels yet but plan to as soon as I find a motorcycle shop with the required balancer.  Gary Barnett ELSA SN 133

Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:17:44 -0700

Group,
Question for you guys having shimmy problems:
On Lightnings, is this happening to the main landing gear on both the LSA and the old style gears, or only on one type?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Bernardo Melendez, kit #110

--- On Thu, 5/31/12, Dave Mccorquodale <corky(at)hbci.com> wrote:
[quote]
Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 6:58 AM

Earl
This is certainly not a new subject.  I built my Esqual in 05 and it has 810 hrs on it.  Let me tell u what I have tried.
1.  clamping "broom handles" to the legs-this worked the
     best
2.  epoxy aluminum rods to the legs
3.  epoxy fiberglass rods to the legs
4.  wrapping legs with fiberglass
5.  balance wheel pants- still have weights inside pants
6.  remachined new struts a couple thousands thicker
7.  balanced my tires in water, with a shaft in wheel, buble
8.  had video taken in 05 found it to be in mains not nose
     but did not fix problem
9.   bought the best tires

I only am trying to save u guys a lot of work, the only thing that worked for me was finding a spin balancer that would fit the small rims.  Now I have no shimmy

good luck

Dave McCorquodale
167DM

[quote] ---

n5pb(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Mine is an old style gear.

--

nowacklinden(at)gmx.de

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Landing gear shimmy Reply with quote

Dave

One important, maybe crucial detail I find in your list missing: the toe in.
Former statements in this group have mentioned it, and IMHO it plays a major role, too.
I have adjusted my toe in to 1/2 deg, measured with a laser gun sight pointer from the brake disks back to a dedicate plank that I put under the tail and centered with a plumb. I made markings for 0deg toe in by measuring from center of fuse (plumb again) to the point of the brake disk where I later put the laser pointer. This mark is toe in 0, you can easily calculate the distance from 0 to 1 or 1/2 deg with a scientific calculator or the internet( http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math/Tan_Calculator.htm or an old slide rule by multiplying the tangent of your desired toe in angle with the distance from brake disk to measuring plank. Then make another pencil mark there - outboard of the 0-mark, when you want toe in, of course. Which is where your laser pointer should point.
This way you don`t have to make chalk lines all over the place and you can check unwanted airplane movement that would spoil your measurement by just leaving the plumb in place. And you can keep the plank for later measurements.
Coming to think of it : I made my adjustment without the wings on and of course no load , and should measure the toe in again with wings and fuel.

Please excuse if i sound teaching.I write all this because I hope we all might get some data basis. Then we can compare toe in of the shakers and the non-shakers and maybe get a hint.

Gerd

Quote:
Datum: Thu, 31 May 2012 06:58:21 -0500
Von: "Dave Mccorquodale" <corky(at)hbci.com>
An: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Re: Re: Landing gear shimmy

[quote] Earl
This is certainly not a new subject. I built my Esqual in 05 and it has
810 hrs on it. Let me tell u what I have tried.
best
6. remachined new struts a couple thousands thicker
but did not fix problem
9. bought the best tires

I only am trying to save u guys a lot of work, the only thing that worked
for me was finding a spin balancer that would fit the small rims. Now I
have no shimmy

good luck

Dave McCorquodale
167DM

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: