Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulsar weights and engine choices.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjb777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm a total newbie to this Forum and firstly I'd like to thank all of you for the interesting reading your discussions have provided me with, and in advance, (hopefully), for the wisdom and experience that I can gain from your experiences with the Pulsar and other aircraft you may have built.

I have a complete Pulsar 1 Tail Dragger Kit, with Spruce full length spars, and the originally supplied, brand new, (albeit some 15 - 20 years old), Rotax 582 90 series engine.

I was given this Kit by the original purchaser as he says that if he hasn't built it by now, he never will and as I am a qualified LAME , (A and P), and have some experience with friends kits then its better off with me.

I would rather a 4 stroke engine of larger displacement than the Rotax 582, and after sitting around for so long, even though it has no visible corrosion through any ports or on the crankshaft or visible big end needle bearings I think it would be prudent to have the engine fully overhauled for at least the seals and other perishables before I would take my Wife flying with it. I also am Australian, (don't hold it against me), and we have some large ground to cover and a couple of around Australia trips will be on the cards when we have the time.

I have been looking closely and talking to some Pulsar 1 builders who have used the Jabiru 2200 firewall forward conversion. One of these kept the original full length spruce wing spars and had no issues, and I am sure there were more who have done the same.

I personally really like the Aerovee 2.3 and have flown this engine a couple of times and have looked closely at the great quality of this engine. It weighs about 8 Kg more than the Jabiru, but is 50% the cost and has pretty much the same SFC and I can maintain and overhaul it.

I have talked with the Aussie SAAA about my plans and they have no issue with it, even registering the Pulsar with the Aerovee in the "VH" Amateur built experimental category as I have an ATPL licence which means I can fly the Aircraft into any Airport in Australia.

Now for my question......theory etc........(Be gentle with me!)......

On this Forum I have seen a few posts regarding wooden spars and composite spars, weight limits etc. for the Pulsar.

If I was to put the Aerovee into the Pulsar 1, with engine mounting, extra engine weight etc. perhaps this would equate to a 30Kg/ 66Lb increase over the Rotax 582 for a conventional frame style mount and probably a similar amount for a bed style mount.

The original documentation for my Kit says the design MTOW at a +6g load limit is 900Lbs.

If I was to build my Pulsar with the Aerovee but to a +4g limit, then I figure that to acheive the same stress loading as would be experienced by ALL structural components then I could build to a MTOW of 1350Lbs which is way beyond the original Rotax 582 and also with the Aerovee conversion.

I realise that the majority of the increased load would be on the lower cowl if i was to build a bed mount for the Aerovee, so if the engine installed weighs say 217lbs, (I think thats very pessimistic!!), then the load on the lower cowl for the original 582 at approx 132Lb engine weight at +6g is 792Lb and for the Aerovee at +4g is 868Lbs. That is a 76Lb difference AT +4g.

I have a great article article here, in Contact Magazine issue 2 where Aero Designs mentions that they calculate that the lower cowl/ fuselage bond and glass strips into the fuselage shell provide an ultimate load capability of 20G with the 582, a load of 2640Lb!!!. The Aerovee configuration at +4g with a factor of 2 is 1736Lb!!!

Keep in mind that the total aircraft weight at +4g will be LESS than the Rotax 582 configuration at +6g.

It's not even worth investigating the negative G limit scenarios as at -2g negative limit as opposed to the original -4g limit this is even more conservative than reducing the original +6 to +4.

So.......

If all of this is taken into consideration, along with C of G limits and so on, do any of you see STRUCTURAL issues with my plan of the Aerovee conversion at a design limit of +4g/-2g?

Regards,

Matt.

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

gregsmi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Thank you Matt for answering several of my questions I had sent to you before you joined the list. I will try to now answer your new issues.

The airframe you have was made for the 582. As such, it came out of the molds with a lighter glass than the 912 model. In other words, the 582 fuselage was not strong enough to support the 912. Now, you are wanting to mount an engine that is 40 pounds heavier than the 912 in a 582 fuselage. Are you intending to use the header tank also? The fuel was moved to the wings when the 912 was installed. Also, the spars you have limited to 900 pounds gross weight, if the spar caps go to the outboard edge of the wing tip.

I understand your desire to go with the economical Aerovee engine, but the Pulsar airframe will not support the weight. The Jabiru 2200 weighs 10 pounds more than the 582 installed weight, which makes it a good candidate for this application, if you want to go with a four stroke engine.

I do not know any other way to put this, installing the Aerovee in this airframe is a ticket for disaster, on so many levels. If you want to use the Aerovee engine, you must find another airframe.

Greg

In a message dated 8/14/2012 5:03:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)

I'm a total newbie to this Forum and firstly I'd like to thank all of you for the interesting reading your discussions have provided me with, and in advance, (hopefully), for the wisdom and experience that I can gain from your experiences with the Pulsar and other aircraft you may have built.

I have a complete Pulsar 1 Tail Dragger Kit, with Spruce full length spars, and the originally supplied, brand new, (albeit some 15 - 20 years old), Rotax 582 90 series engine.

I was given this Kit by the original purchaser as he says that if he hasn't built it by now, he never will and as I am a qualified LAME , (A and P), and have some experience with friends kits then its better off with me.

I would rather a 4 stroke engine of larger displacement than the Rotax 582, and after sitting around for so long, even though it has no visible corrosion through any ports or on the crankshaft or visible big end needle bearings I think it would be prudent to have the engine fully overhauled for at least the seals and other perishables before I would take my Wife flying with it. I also am Australian, (don't hold it against me), and we have some large ground to cover and a couple of around Australia trips will be on the cards when we have the time.

I have been looking closely and talking to some Pulsar 1 builders who have used the Jabiru 2200 firewall forward conversion. One of these kept the original full length spruce wing spars and had no issues, and I am sure there were more who have done the same.

I personally really like the Aerovee 2.3 and have flown this engine a couple of times and have looked closely at the great quality of this engine. It weighs about 8 Kg more than the Jabiru, but is 50% the cost and has pretty much the same SFC and I can maintain and overhaul it.

I have talked with the Aussie SAAA about my plans and they have no issue with it, even registering the Pulsar with the Aerovee in the "VH" Amateur built experimental category as I have an ATPL licence which means I can fly the Aircraft into any Airport in Australia.

On this Forum I have seen a few posts regarding wooden spars and composite spars, weight limits etc. for the Pulsar.

If I was to put the Aerovee into the Pulsar 1, with engine mounting, extra engine weight etc. perhaps this would equate to a 30Kg/ 66Lb increase over the Rotax 582 for a conventional frame style mount and probably a similar amount for a bed style mount.

The original documentation for my Kit says the design MTOW at a +6g load limit is 900Lbs.

If I was to build my Pulsar with the Aerovee but to a +4g limit, then I figure that to acheive the same stress loading as would be experienced by ALL structural components then I could build to a MTOW of 1350Lbs which is way beyond the original Rotax 582 and also with the Aerovee conversion.

I realise that the majority of the increased load would be on the lower cowl if i was to build a bed mount for the Aerovee, so if the engine installed weighs say 217lbs, (I think thats very pessimistic!!), then the load on the lower cowl for the original 582 at approx 132Lb engine weight at +6g is 792Lb and for the Aerovee at +4g is 868Lbs. That is a 76Lb difference AT +4g.

I have a great article article here, in Contact Magazine issue 2 where Aero Designs mentions that they calculate that the lower cowl/ fuselage bond and glass strips into the fuselage shell provide an ultimate load capability of 20G with the 582, a load of 2640Lb!!!. The Aerovee configuration at +4g with a factor of 2 is 1736Lb!!!

Keep in mind that the total aircraft weight at +4g will be LESS than the Rotax 582 configuration at +6g.

It's not even worth investigating the negative G limit scenarios as at -2g negative limit as opposed to the original -4g limit this is even more conservative than reducing the original +6 to +4.

So.......

If all of this is taken into consideration, along with C of G limits and so on, do any of you see STRUCTURAL issues with my plan of the Aerovee conversion at a design limit of +4g/-2g?

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.
Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=380889#380889

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Greg is quiet right - you are only reduceing your safty factor
by over 33%

Keith

---

Eddie Gose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Greg:

Just a quick follow on question. I am aware of a Pulsar airframe that is currently for sale. It is advertised as a “XP” but seller claims it has wood spars. The current owner says that the airframe is set up for a 912. The photos show a bed mount configuration. The seller claims glass wing skins and wing tanks. My question is did Pulsar sell an XP kit with wood spars? Seems to me the wood spars/912 would limit pay load some…your thoughts?

Eddie

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of GREGSMI(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:25 AM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices.

Thank you Matt for answering several of my questions I had sent to you before you joined the list. I will try to now answer your new issues.

The airframe you have was made for the 582. As such, it came out of the molds with a lighter glass than the 912 model. In other words, the 582 fuselage was not strong enough to support the 912. Now, you are wanting to mount an engine that is 40 pounds heavier than the 912 in a 582 fuselage. Are you intending to use the header tank also? The fuel was moved to the wings when the 912 was installed. Also, the spars you have limited to 900 pounds gross weight, if the spar caps go to the outboard edge of the wing tip.

I understand your desire to go with the economical Aerovee engine, but the Pulsar airframe will not support the weight. The Jabiru 2200 weighs 10 pounds more than the 582 installed weight, which makes it a good candidate for this application, if you want to go with a four stroke engine.

I do not know any other way to put this, installing the Aerovee in this airframe is a ticket for disaster, on so many levels. If you want to use the Aerovee engine, you must find another airframe.

Greg

In a message dated 8/14/2012 5:03:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com) writes:
Quote:

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)

So.......

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

[/b][/b][/b][b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List[b]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

gregsmi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

You are limited to 900 pounds gross with the wood spars. There may have been a few shipped with wood spars, you should ask to see the cowling, if it has a hump in the middle for spark plugs, it is a 582 cowl.

It has been so long now it is going to be difficult to know what you are getting. If the cowl is 582 you can bet the fuselage is six oz. glass and not XP. Also, if there are no wing tanks, it will not accommodate a 912.

In a message dated 8/14/2012 11:13:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time, E-Gose(at)tamus.edu writes:
Quote:

Greg:

Just a quick follow on question. I am aware of a Pulsar airframe that is currently for sale. It is advertised as a “XP” but seller claims it has wood spars. The current owner says that the airframe is set up for a 912. The photos show a bed mount configuration. The seller claims glass wing skins and wing tanks. My question is did Pulsar sell an XP kit with wood spars? Seems to me the wood spars/912 would limit pay load some…your thoughts?

Eddie

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of GREGSMI(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pulsar-List: Pulsar weights and engine choices.

Greg

In a message dated 8/14/2012 5:03:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com) writes:
Quote:

So.......

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
0[/b][/b][/b][/b]

[quote][b]

gregsmi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Eddy, just remembered, I saw the same Pulsar. I know the original builder and have tried to contact him in the past to get an idea of what it is all about. It is possible he has an early XP, before they went to glass spars. If the kit was bought piece meal, it could be anything. Wing tanks and the bed mount 912 suggest an early XP but without talking to the builder, I do not know what it is. In any event, the wood spars limit the aircraft to 900 pounds gross, and only if it has extended spar caps.

In a message dated 8/14/2012 11:13:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time, E-Gose(at)tamus.edu writes:
Quote:

Greg:

Eddie

Greg

Quote:

So.......

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
0[/b][/b][/b][/b]

[quote][b]

barryjedwards(at)lineone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

I have a fairly early Pulsar XP with the 912 engine (actually the 1st XP tail-dragger ever to fly). Mine has wood spars but which also had a layer of 9oz glass cloth bonded on each side (as per the AD manual), it also has the plywood skins. The gross weight is 960lbs. It’s been flying for over 1000hrs now in the space of 20 years. If yours has wing tanks it is almost certainly an XP, but yes, do check the cowl. To take the extra engine weight, the uni-glass â€straps’ were doubled up as well as the fuselage glass being slightly heavier.

Hope this helps you.

Barry
G-XPXP Tail-dragger UK, 1020hrs.

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:12 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Pulsar weights and engine choices.

Greg:

Eddie

Greg

Quote:

So.......

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
0[/b][/b][/b][/b]
[quote][b]

avkozloff(at)roadrunner.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Matt:
I have Pulsar I kit #190 with the Rotax 582 that I bought in 1990.

I finished the plane in 2004 (I can explain the delay if you really
want me to); but before I flew it, I had the engine overhauled with new
gaskets, an added thermostat, and most importantly, a stouter crankshaft
that required cageless needle bearings on the ends to bring it up to the
newer "Blue Head" specifications.

I've got about 650 hours on the plane to date and went for an
additional engine rebuild during the past Eight (Cool years.
My only problems to date are two (2) rectifier failures that prevented
the battery from charging.
Luckily, in each case, I had a backup battery for the Dynon EFIS that
allowed me to land safely.

Using Jim Schmitt's suggestion, I had the GSC propeller thinned down
and I now cruse at 100K using 4 gph at lower altitudes.

Some time ago, Greg Smith, the Guru of all things Pulsar related,
pointed out that the fuselage laminate for the 582 powered Pulsar I was
lighter than the succeeding models and that larger engines than 66 HP were
not recommended. (Someone put a BMW motorcycle engine in one and ended up
breaking the fuselage, as I recollect).

Good luck on your project, I'm sure you are going to enjoy building
and flying this delightful and agile aircraft.
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 03:02:41 -0700, mjb777 <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Hi guys,

I'm a total newbie to this Forum and firstly I'd like to thank all of
you for the interesting reading your discussions have provided me with,
and in advance, (hopefully), for the wisdom and experience that I can
gain from your experiences with the Pulsar and other aircraft you may
have built.

I have a complete Pulsar 1 Tail Dragger Kit, with Spruce full length
spars, and the originally supplied, brand new, (albeit some 15 - 20
years old), Rotax 582 90 series engine.

I was given this Kit by the original purchaser as he says that if he
hasn't built it by now, he never will and as I am a qualified LAME , (A
and P), and have some experience with friends kits then its better off
with me.

I would rather a 4 stroke engine of larger displacement than the Rotax
582, and after sitting around for so long, even though it has no visible
corrosion through any ports or on the crankshaft or visible big end
needle bearings I think it would be prudent to have the engine fully
overhauled for at least the seals and other perishables before I would
take my Wife flying with it. I also am Australian, (don't hold it
against me), and we have some large ground to cover and a couple of
around Australia trips will be on the cards when we have the time.

I have been looking closely and talking to some Pulsar 1 builders who
have used the Jabiru 2200 firewall forward conversion. One of these kept
the original full length spruce wing spars and had no issues, and I am
sure there were more who have done the same.

I personally really like the Aerovee 2.3 and have flown this engine a
couple of times and have looked closely at the great quality of this
engine. It weighs about 8 Kg more than the Jabiru, but is 50% the cost
and has pretty much the same SFC and I can maintain and overhaul it.

I have talked with the Aussie SAAA about my plans and they have no issue
with it, even registering the Pulsar with the Aerovee in the "VH"
Amateur built experimental category as I have an ATPL licence which
means I can fly the Aircraft into any Airport in Australia.

On this Forum I have seen a few posts regarding wooden spars and
composite spars, weight limits etc. for the Pulsar.

If I was to put the Aerovee into the Pulsar 1, with engine mounting,
extra engine weight etc. perhaps this would equate to a 30Kg/ 66Lb
increase over the Rotax 582 for a conventional frame style mount and
probably a similar amount for a bed style mount.

The original documentation for my Kit says the design MTOW at a +6g load
limit is 900Lbs.

If I was to build my Pulsar with the Aerovee but to a +4g limit, then I
figure that to acheive the same stress loading as would be experienced
by ALL structural components then I could build to a MTOW of 1350Lbs
which is way beyond the original Rotax 582 and also with the Aerovee
conversion.

I realise that the majority of the increased load would be on the lower
cowl if i was to build a bed mount for the Aerovee, so if the engine
installed weighs say 217lbs, (I think thats very pessimistic!!), then
the load on the lower cowl for the original 582 at approx 132Lb engine
weight at +6g is 792Lb and for the Aerovee at +4g is 868Lbs. That is a
76Lb difference AT +4g.

I have a great article article here, in Contact Magazine issue 2 where
Aero Designs mentions that they calculate that the lower cowl/ fuselage
bond and glass strips into the fuselage shell provide an ultimate load
capability of 20G with the 582, a load of 2640Lb!!!. The Aerovee
configuration at +4g with a factor of 2 is 1736Lb!!!

Keep in mind that the total aircraft weight at +4g will be LESS than the
Rotax 582 configuration at +6g.

It's not even worth investigating the negative G limit scenarios as at
-2g negative limit as opposed to the original -4g limit this is even
more conservative than reducing the original +6 to +4.

So.......

If all of this is taken into consideration, along with C of G limits and
so on, do any of you see STRUCTURAL issues with my plan of the Aerovee
conversion at a design limit of +4g/-2g?

Regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

Alex Kozloff
P.O. Box 866

Santa Paula, CA 93061(USPS)

416 East Santa Maria Street Hangar # 31
Santa Paula, CA 93060 (UPS & FedEx)

(805) 525-1415
(949) 400-6364 Cell

mjb777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input so far guys I really appreciate it.

I'd be very interested to learn more about the structural failure of the BMW conversion. I believe it was a landing incident and who knows what sort of strut type engine mount, or fuselage anchor points had been 'engineered'. If anyone has pictures or a website link that would be great.

Can someone explain to me why, if the weight of the hypothetical Aerovee converted Pulsar at +4g is LESS than the 582 configuration at +6g, then why is there disaster looming with the wood spars?

MTOW limits in this class of aircraft are only for the design limit G and safety factor after all.

My spars have the Bi caps and I am aware that there are XP's out there with the spruce spar at 960lb WITH A +6g LIMIT AT THIS WEIGHT.

So if I carry out a suitable strengthening of the forward fuselage to carry and distribute the extra loads at +4g with a factor of 2, (about 150lbs) ...........whats the problem?

I know I am playing devils advocate here but the History books are loaded with stuff that we 'couldn't do'!! Wink

Matt.

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Matt,
Personally with what you want to do you must speak to the designer
to get approval or get yourself a mechanical engineer to do the calculations
for you, and in either case do load tests after construction to get approval
from your local authorities, before registration, as a new design aircraft.
This is what would be required in my country.
You can't expect homebuilders and pilots to answer these questions .

Keith

PS there are two types of wood spars 1 st the capping did not go to the end
of the spar - 2nd upgrade capping went to the end of the spar/wing tip

---

mjb777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Thanks Keith,

I fully intend to do as much analysis of this as I can and fortunately the SAAA has engineers on hand to assist with this sort of thing. I pretty much want to hear opinions, and will not hold anyone responsible for such.

My kit has the full length reinforced spars.

I know there are at least a couple of Pulsar 1's out there with the Jabiru conversion and I'd really like to hear from some of those guys about their experience so far?

Matt.

briana(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Matt,

There are other considerations anyhow. The VW is a lot wider. How are you going to keep it within the dimensions of the cowling. The present cowling will only just fit a Rotax 912. How are you going to strengthen the firewall to distribute the loads into the fuselage? The Series 1 and the XP were designed with the engine bed mounted. The loads are carried into the fuselage via unidirectional glass "beams" through the firewall and into the fuselage structure. The firewall itself is only 1/4" glass/foam sandwich, strengthened to carry the noseleg loads.

How are you going to maintain the correct CofG location with that much extra weight in the nose ?

Why bother trying to re-engineer it for something that it was never designed for.

Brian
XP, #456, 912
On 15/08/2012, at 6:47 PM, mjb777 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for all the input so far guys I really appreciate it.

I'd be very interested to learn more about the structural failure of the BMW conversion. I believe it was a landing incident and who knows what sort of strut type engine mount, or fuselage anchor points had been 'engineered'. If anyone has pictures or a website link that would be great.

Can someone explain to me why, if the weight of the hypothetical Aerovee converted Pulsar at +4g is LESS than the 582 configuration at +6g, then why is there disaster looming with the wood spars?

MTOW limits in this class of aircraft are only for the design limit G and safety factor after all.

My spars have the Bi caps and I am aware that there are XP's out there with the spruce spar at 960lb WITH A +6g LIMIT AT THIS WEIGHT.

So if I carry out a suitable strengthening of the forward fuselage to carry and distribute the extra loads at +4g with a factor of 2, (about 150lbs) ...........whats the problem?

I know I am playing devils advocate here but the History books are loaded with stuff that we 'couldn't do'!! [Wink]

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=380945#380945

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Opinion are meaningless unless from a qualified person - and for a "Captain
B777. - Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer" asking these questions of
Homebuilders and Pilots ????. I would say you are on your own !

---

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

BTW your last comment - the Jabiru is an approved conversion all specs and
drawings are available from the agents.
---

mjb777

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

I appreciate all input that you guys have given me regarding this matter.

I don't see how my qualifications mean anything when I am simply seeking information from those with experience in this area and also with similar modifications that have been made in the past.

If anyone has more information they'd like to provide regarding Jabiru or Rotax conversions that they know of with wood spar Pulsars, I'd really like to hear from you.

Matt.

gregsmi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Matt, with the kit came a set of manuals. If they are the correct manuals for that kit, hard to say after 20 years, but those manuals will give the kit's design limitations.You must know that designing an aircraft is a series of compromises, each change impacting other things. It is extremely complicated. I have worked five years on a design project with a very gifted design engineer and you would be amazed at the 'do overs' a minor change has caused.

The Pulsar builders and pilots have an outstanding safety record and we tend to guard it jealously. We love the aircraft and the people that fly them. Most of us had the luxury of consulting with the aircraft designer while we were building. If we screwed up or wanted to deviate from plan, we could call the factory and the designer would evaluate the issue based on the impact to the whole aircraft design. Unfortunately, this great support is no longer available.

As several people have pointed out, you need to be talking to an engineer that has all of the specifications and testing that went into the design, and that is not available. If you cannot build the plane per the manuals then I would like to suggest you donate it to someone that will follow the manual. You paid nothing for it so you are out nothing. Maybe you could sell it and buy the aircraft that is designed for your requirements.

Please do not be offended by this suggestion. We have lost some Pulsar friends and our biggest concern is for all to be safe. You are wanting to modify the Pulsar way beyond it's design limitations and there is no way that can be done on this forum.

Greg

In a message dated 8/15/2012 5:17:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com>

I don't see how my qualifications mean anything when I am simply seeking information from those with experience in this area and also with similar modifications that have been made in the past.

If anyone has more information they'd like to provide regarding Jabiru or Rotax conversions that they know of with wood spar Pulsars, I'd really like to hear from you.

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=380952#380952

[quote][b]

gregsmi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Just one more answer for your calculations. The 6 G load you are looking at is ULTIMATE load, the point where the spar fails. FAR 23 requires a 1.5 safety factor which puts the operating limit load at 4 G. By reducing the ultimate load to 4 G, you now have an operating limit load of 2 G, not a safe situation. I hope that clarifies things for you.

Greg

In a message dated 8/15/2012 9:52:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time, GREGSMI(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Matt, with the kit came a set of manuals. If they are the correct manuals for that kit, hard to say after 20 years, but those manuals will give the kit's design limitations.You must know that designing an aircraft is a series of compromises, each change impacting other things. It is extremely complicated. I have worked five years on a design project with a very gifted design engineer and you would be amazed at the 'do overs' a minor change has caused.

The Pulsar builders and pilots have an outstanding safety record and we tend to guard it jealously. We love the aircraft and the people that fly them. Most of us had the luxury of consulting with the aircraft designer while we were building. If we screwed up or wanted to deviate from plan, we could call the factory and the designer would evaluate the issue based on the impact to the whole aircraft design. Unfortunately, this great support is no longer available.

As several people have pointed out, you need to be talking to an engineer that has all of the specifications and testing that went into the design, and that is not available. If you cannot build the plane per the manuals then I would like to suggest you donate it to someone that will follow the manual. You paid nothing for it so you are out nothing. Maybe you could sell it and buy the aircraft that is designed for your requirements.

Please do not be offended by this suggestion. We have lost some Pulsar friends and our biggest concern is for all to be safe. You are wanting to modify the Pulsar way beyond it's design limitations and there is no way that can be done on this forum.

Greg

In a message dated 8/15/2012 5:17:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=380952#380952

Quote:

ef="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
s.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
p://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

mjb777

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight Greg and I very much appreciate the following and pride of the Pulsar guys out there. I haven't heard a bad word about the aeroplane other than some of the negative experiences that guys have had with 2 strokes over time.

A quick question with your last comment. I have numerous official Aero Designs pulications that state the "G-Limits (Tested) +6.0/-4.0". There is never a mention in any of these brochures or my construction and operation Manuals, (that I can see anyway), that mentions +4.0G?

Could you provide me with a reference as even if I proceed to the original design specifications then this is very important.

Regards and thanks again for your input.

Matt.

gregsmi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

The ultimate load is 6G. FAR part 23 requires one and half G safety margin which puts the operating limit load at 4 G. The operating limit is derived from the ultimate load limit. When it says tested, Aerodesigns was stating 6G is the point of failure. On many occasions, Aerodesigns had talked about testing, and in dealing with composites, how any damage would be cumulative. It was always stressed that the Pulsar is not an acrobatic aircraft which is where you might see the higher G loads.

In a message dated 8/16/2012 1:24:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mattbrock777(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Thanks for your insight Greg and I very much appreciate the following and pride of the Pulsar guys out there. I haven't heard a bad word about the aeroplane other than some of the negative experiences that guys have had with 2 strokes over time.

A quick question with your last comment. I have numerous official Aero Designs pulications that state the "G-Limits (Tested) +6.0/-4.0". There is never a mention in any of these brochures or my construction and operation Manuals, (that I can see anyway), that mentions +4.0G?

Could you provide me with a reference as even if I proceed to the original design specifications then this is very important.

Regards and thanks again for your input.

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=381005#381005

[quote][b]

mjb777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsar weights and engine choices. Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, I understand.

I had another look at my Operating manual and see that +4/-2 is in there.

Without holding you to it, would you be more positive with my Pulsar 1 being modified with the Jabiru conversion?

Matt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: