Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SkyView power wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user9253

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: SkyView power wires Reply with quote

Quote from SkyView installation manual:
Quote:
Power Input
SkyView displays have a primary power input that is compatible with 12 volt and 24 volt systems (10 to 30 volts DC). There are two unterminated solid red primary power input wires (to reduce current loading in each wire—these are not for redundancy and both should be connected to the same power source) and two unterminated solid black primary ground wires.
Ensure that there is an appropriately rated circuit breaker or replaceable fuse on the primary power input. A 5 amp circuit breaker or replaceable fuse is sufficient for the majority of installations. Reference the Power Consumption Section of the System Planning Chapter for more information.

I do not understand the reasoning for using two power wires instead of one larger wire. In fact, it would seem that just one small wire would handle the 5 amp load with ease.
Joe

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

grosseair(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: SkyView power wires Reply with quote

Have you asked the SkyView people? The rest of us can only guess at
their rationale for the "why". Personally, I can't imagine any reason,
but I have seen other applications where a larger wire would not fit in
the connector and two smaller wires were used.
John Grosse

user9253 wrote:
Quote:

Quote from SkyView installation manual:

> > Power Input
> > SkyView displays have a primary power input that is compatible with 12 volt and 24 volt systems (10 to 30 volts DC). There are two unterminated solid red primary power input wires (to reduce current loading in each wire—these are not for redundancy and both should be connected to the same power source) and two unterminated solid black primary ground wires.
> > Ensure that there is an appropriately rated circuit breaker or replaceable fuse on the primary power input. A 5 amp circuit breaker or replaceable fuse is sufficient for the majority of installations. Reference the Power Consumption Section of the System Planning Chapter for more information.

I do not understand the reasoning for using two power wires instead of one larger wire. In fact, it would seem that just one small wire would handle the 5 amp load with ease.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: SkyView power wires Reply with quote

Quote:

I do not understand the reasoning for using two power wires instead
of one larger wire. In fact, it would seem that just one small wire
would handle the 5 amp load with ease.
Joe

That IS a puzzlement . . . I don't recall the first
time I saw doubled-up power and ground wires on
radios . . . but it was some years back. Why
would a designer think that paralleled 20AWG
wires on a 0.5A continuous, 4A intermittent
load be a good thing to do? I think I've
seen it on more than one brand of radio.

Reduced supply impedance? Not very likely.
Increased redundancy? Hmmmm . . . more
plausible. Redundancy is not well addressed
. . . one of the wires could be bad and you\
wouldn't know it. I.e. redundancy that calls
for periodic inspection to retain its value
in the reliability tree. Current sharing on
d-sub pins? Also plausible but again, the pins
are not really being stressed that hard.

The conundrum does not yield to present
reasoning.

If it were my radio, I'd do the paralleling
thing with 6 inch, 22AWG wires in the pins
dropped into a splice with 20AWG lead wire
to power and ground. Robust . . . and doesn't
let a perfectly good ground or power pin go
to waste.
Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: