Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane grounded!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loboflyer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane grounded!! Reply with quote

Since you haven't received any help from other members, I'll try shooting from the hip:

The quality of the headset shouldn't matter.  This leads me to believe that either you are seeing the headsets picking up RF in the cockpit, which suggests an RF leakage issue in the cockpit, or there is some wacky impedance issue with the headsets.  The first is more likely, since Flightcom usually makes pretty robust designs.

1. What do you mean by "flip send receive"?  Is the antenna coax wired through these switches, or just audio?  Are they RF switches or just regular DPDT switches?  If the latter, and they are switching RF, I'd be concerned.  Switching VHF with DPDT switches might be possible, but requires extreme care in connection and shielding.
  2. Do you hear the squeal or just the tower?
  3. Inspect all coax connections, check DC continuity with an ohmmeter.  Use or borrow an SWR meter and check the antenna connections while wiggling the cables at the connectors.
  4. Go through and check the wiring per Flightcom and Icom's instructions.
  5. If everything looks ok, you might consider bypassing the intercom by first disconnecting power from just the intercom (it should bypass audio internally), and next using the shorting jumper they recommend in the manual if issues persist.
  6. Another thing to check is sidetone.  Sidetone provides the comfort of hearing your own voice when transmitting.  If the squeal sounds like feedback, make sure that sidetone is enabled on the radio and disabled on the intercom.

Hope this helps and that I'm not steering you wrong.
  -Jeff-

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM, SIDESLIP <Chad2007(at)rogers.com (Chad2007(at)rogers.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "SIDESLIP" <Chad2007(at)rogers.com (Chad2007(at)rogers.com)>

Hello all. Just purchased a Homebuilt Zodiac 601XL-B. Rotax 912ULS powered. A200 Radio, Flightcom 403 intercom. Aero flash strobes. The radio is intermittently squealing and tower cannot understand my transmissions. Tried both engine running and not running. Intermittent either way. When it is working, I get 5/5. When it begins squealing, 0/0. Previous owner said he had the same issue with cheaper headsets. Radio worked great, then it didn't. I'm using David Clark 13.2s's. The previous owner has a portable wired in as well, telling me that he's had issues in the past. There is a falcon T/B gyro, Garmin transponder and aero flash strobes. When the strobes are on, the pop of the flash comes thru headsets. I'm really stuck! Bought this plane, and now can't fly it! The rest of the plane is great,, ending runs PERFECT..... But this radio issue has me beat! HELLLP!

Chad.    Sad

Additional info..... There is a handheld wired into the system. It uses its own separate antenna, but there are two switches on centre console to flip send receive. I wonder if that wiring is causing the problems.

Helllllp!

--------
C-GYXQ. 912ULS. 601XL-B

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=386788#386788

[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
SIDESLIP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane ground Reply with quote

Jeff;

There are two separate radios, and two separate antennas. One is mounted on top of the fuselage, and one on the bottom. I believe the switches simply flip the connections from one radio to the other. Just the audio to my knowledge. Both myself and the tower hear the squeal. Well, the tower just said I was high pitched and unreadable. I confirmed that they were unable to hear or understand my transmissions. The squeal definitely sounds like feedback, and thats my first reaction to it. Its like an electric guitar next to an amplifier. Squeal builds until your ear drums are obsolete. Because its intermittent, thats why I'm so confused. It would make sense that sidetones are conflicting. Thats how it seems anyways... I just didnt know how or even IF you could turn off Sidetone in the 403. Do you know how to accomplish that? Flightcom didnt mention anything to that effect, about shutting off sidetone etc. Said to look at the wiring for the headphone and mic jacks etc.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Hoping this is a simple fix..... either way, what I do know, is that when this anomaly occurs, it renders communications inop. What is even more bizarre, is that when it was doing this squeal to me, I was on 118.4, yet when switching to 129.10 it was 5/5!

Thanks Jeff......

Im hoping to some how just remove that second radio all together. Going to try and see if I can get the same effect of squeal etc on the handheld thats wired in.

Chad

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SIDESLIP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane ground Reply with quote

UPDATE:

AME looked over the install of the comm, and all looks proper. Squealed for him as well with plane not running. We even unplugged the handheld and it still did it. So, the A200 has been pulled and sent to Avionics shop for bench testing. Stay tuned..... (Pun intended)

Hopefully the A200 is broken! Then it'll be an easy fix.
Chad

SIDESLIP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane ground Reply with quote

Well...... Radio seems fine. Only thing that was out of whack was the sidetone. Apparently it was set really high. Not sure if that has any effect or not.

Getting radio back on Friday.... So, we will see. Guess its time to move on to other possibilities..... :-/

Chad

klehman(at)albedo.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane grounded!! Reply with quote

Yes it might. Factory settings of sidetone and mic gain were too high
for my headset causing distortion. Believe I also had to increase
squelch. Has worked well after that for several years now.
Ken

On 07/11/2012 3:18 PM, SIDESLIP wrote:
Quote:

"SIDESLIP"<Chad2007(at)rogers.com>

Well...... Radio seems fine. Only thing that was out of whack was the
sidetone. Apparently it was set really high. Not sure if that has any
effect or not.

Getting radio back on Friday.... So, we will see. Guess its time to
move on to other possibilities..... :-/

Chad

-------- C-GYXQ. 912ULS. 601XL-B

henry(at)pericynthion.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane grounded!! Reply with quote

I had some squealing issues with my DIY intercom and Garmin 480 that were resolved by turning the sidetone on the 480 all the way to 0. (The intercom provides sidetone).  Not sure whether that's relevant to your situation.

Henry
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Ken <klehman(at)albedo.net (klehman(at)albedo.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ken <klehman(at)albedo.net (klehman(at)albedo.net)>

Yes it might. Factory settings of sidetone and mic gain were too high
for my headset causing distortion. Believe I also had to increase
squelch. Has worked well after that for several years now.
Ken

On 07/11/2012 3:18 PM, SIDESLIP wrote:
Quote:
-->  AeroElectric-List message posted by:
"SIDESLIP"<Chad2007(at)rogers.com (Chad2007(at)rogers.com)>

Well...... Radio seems fine. Only thing that was out of whack was the
sidetone. Apparently it was set really high. Not sure if that has any
effect or not.

Getting radio back on Friday.... So, we will see. Guess its time to
move on to other possibilities..... :-/

Chad

-------- C-GYXQ. 912ULS. 601XL-B

====================================
om" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
ooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
et="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
le, List Admin.
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

SIDESLIP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A200/Flightcom 403 radio not transmitting- plane ground Reply with quote

So, fellas,

I figured I'd start a new thread about this, since I have narrowed the issue down.

So, the A200 was bench tested, and tested out fine. The only item that seemed out of whack, was the side tone, which was set VERY high. I cleaned the terminals on the back of the radio prior to install. I tightened the radio into its tray firmly, and proceeded to test. The squeal seemed to be gone on 129.10, both with engine running, and without. This problem I BELIEVE is definitely a squelch problem. I transmitted the squeal, and while mid transmit, unplugged the mic cord. The squeal stopped immediately. Then I tried messing with different volume/squelch settings on the flightcom. To no avail, squeal still present....

Here is where it gets weird.... I pulled the mic away from my face, NO MORE SQUEAL! Well, very very little, and when I tapped the mic, it tried to come back, but then faded. So, I figured, let's try the tower. I turned my head looking over my right shoulder, and ZERO squeal. When I am facing straight ahead, and get it to squeal, while it is mid squeal, I cover the mic with my hand, and it deadens it considerably!

IF this was wiring, here is how I disprove that theory....

The handheld transmits and receives PERFECTLY and gives 5/5 no matter what! Worked seamless. Flip back to the A200, and squeal! Keep in mind, the handheld is wired into the flightcom as well, and shares all of the same wiring as the A200! So, the final question........ Could this be as simple as the mic gain on the 200? With the engine running, there is zero interference from the engine. On BOTH radios. I think that this proves that the grounds are good, wiring is good and the flightcom is good. I still get the strobe POP when they fire, but I get that SAME pop in the Cessna 172M I fly! So, that is an acceptable noise for me. And since a certified very high dollar factory built airplane has strobe noise, I'm not too concerned about this one. It really is quiet. So...... MIC GAIN, OR NOT TO MIC GAIN ADJUST? Or try changing antennas? Thoughts? After changing the side tone, it is MUCH better. Still not acceptable, but it DID get better. I've read a lot of people suggesting to adjust the mic gains, with great results for them, yet others say it won't do a thing. It is DEFINITELY feedback like you'd hear from an amplifier too close to an electric guitar.

I feel that I'm right on the edge of solving this problem.....I'm thinking, that if I can change antennas and that resolves it, it may be as simple as a faulty antenna, or maybe even not the right one?

It's would be great to hear some feedback from the pro Bob Nuckolls.
Thanks in advance!!!

Chad Scriver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: