Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advisability of using anti-corrosion lubricant on contacts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Advisability of using anti-corrosion lubricant on contacts Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that advisable, and if so, can some-one recommend a readily
available dielectric product (brush on or spray on) that will
protect the contacts against corrosion without damaging the actual
plastic connectors.

Cheers Bob Barrow

What kind of connectors and what finish
on the pins?
Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
bobbarrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisability of using anti-corrosion lubricant on cont Reply with quote

What kind of connectors and what finish
on the pins?

Power through Mil-C-26482 circular connectors with M39029 crimped contacts. Signals through M24308 DSub connectors with M39029 crimped contacts.

The M39029 contacts are typically gold plated copper alloy. However the female contact for the circular connector seems to have a stainless steel socket.

I have Corrosion X and LPS 1, 2, and 3 in stock.

I note that the spec on Corrosion X says it can be applied to "electrical and avionics components such as micro switches, Cannon plugs, antenna bases, circuit breakers, and bus bars.

The warning on Corrosion X in aircraft pertains to a research paper into the the affects that the lubricity of Corrosion X could have on friction mated structural components in shear. Nothing to do with use on electrical components.

I also have the normal run of behind-the-firewall connectors in the form of spades and ring terminals (forest of spade tabs for ground, bus bar ring terminals etc). These might benefit from some corrosion protection as well.

What do you think. Is a little corrosion X in order.

Cheers Bob Barrow

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

toddheffley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advisability of using anti-corrosion lubricant on cont Reply with quote

Wow....Talk about the subject that will not die!

I have watched this controversy in my industry (large cabin executive jet maintenance) for some time now, and much like the discussion here, it will not die.

Some airframers do not want corrosion inhibitors between the antenna and the airframe.

Conversely, I worked for a MRO that requires Pentrox Type 2 (grey) for every antanna installation. (conductive paste, feels like toothpaste, non-hardening)

My anecdotal experience tells me that antenna footprints are the first and worst hideouts for corrosion on many aircraft. Particularly lower antennas. My experience is 1 to 1 without exception. If a removed antenna has Pentrox under the foot print, it has no corrosion. I come down as a strong advocate for adding Penetrox.

I have two theories: one is that Airframers live in perfectly clean factories with brand new airplanes that never corrode. Antennas are installed on perfectly clean ground planes, and that thinking is inviolate. MRO's live with 30 year old airplanes, thus the difference between the two.

Theory number 2 is that the clamp up force of an antenna is very low because of the large size of the footprint. Use of some type of "magic goo" seems more reasonable, because one can never achieve a vapor tight fit up over the entire footprint of the antenna.

I doubt there is a wooden stake for this vampire, but I would like Bob's thoughts related to HBC background vs. OBAM background.

I come from a maintenance background , not a build background, so ....grain of salt....

Todd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: