Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing Light Aim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

This might be slightly off of the usual topic, but does anyone have
any tips for where to aim a landing light on a tailwheel airplane? I
have the tools to align it with a vertical tilt of choice, but I don't
know what the best choice would be. I can also include some measures
for adjustment, but I wonder how many degrees of adjustment I should
include. Thanks in advance!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

Good Morning Jared,

I would aim it so the light beam parallels the ground with the tail wheel on the ground. Then go try it and adjust as needed!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/27/2013 11:30:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time, email(at)jaredyates.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Jared Yates <email(at)jaredyates.com>

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

Thanks Old Bob!

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM, <BobsV35B(at)aol.com> wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Jared,

I would aim it so the light beam parallels the ground with the tail wheel on
the ground. Then go try it and adjust as needed!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/27/2013 11:30:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
email(at)jaredyates.com writes:

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

You would think that DC3's or B17's must have had a way to do this. A brief search turned up nothing, but I am sure a more thorough search would find something applicable.

Sensing the angle of the airplane and adjusting the light automatically would seem tricky, but sensing the speed from the pitot and making an automatic adjustment, or putting a switch on the tail wheel might yield a system that is worth implementing.

But Keep It Simple. Remember that the main long-throw lights are used when the tail and airspeed is high. By the time the tail is on the ground, you might not need much.

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
mapratherid(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

So, maybe the light could be aimed by tracking the pitch trim.

Simpler and maybe even lighter to put two lights on the airplane? One for taxi and one for landing. You get a bit of redundancy too. Old recipe for success. Moving parts = yuck.

Finally, I would have guessed aiming for landing attitude might be better, as once you're in three point attitude you're not covering ground nearly as fast so maybe don't need to see as far/well. I do understand that your desire for visual acuity increases while close to the ground..
Cheers,

Matt-

On Jun 28, 2013, at 7:59 AM, "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net> wrote:

Quote:

You would think that DC3's or B17's must have had a way to do this. A brief search turned up nothing, but I am sure a more thorough search would find something applicable.

Sensing the angle of the airplane and adjusting the light automatically would seem tricky, but sensing the speed from the pitot and making an automatic adjustment, or putting a switch on the tail wheel might yield a system that is worth implementing.

But Keep It Simple. Remember that the main long-throw lights are used when the tail and airspeed is high. By the time the tail is on the ground, you might not need much.

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=403564#403564

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

I must say that I agree with "Old Bob" that the light should be adjusted for
straight ahead with the tail on the ground. If you adjust for straight
ahead with the tail high you will be lighting the tree tops during taxi,
which greatly decreases the utility of the light. If the light is adjusted
somewhat low, you will still be able to see the ground for both approach to
landing and taxi. This is not optimal for all phases of flight and taxi,
but IMHO it's the best compromise for one solidly mounted light.

Roger
--

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

Good Morning Eric,

Actually there were retractable landing lights which did provide the pilot with the capability of adjusting the beam up or down, but the majority only had one position where the light was on.

In my past, the only two airplanes I flew with the adjustable lights were the Bamboo Bomber (Cessna Bob Cat) and the Douglas DC-6/7 series

Both of those series' aircraft had one switch that extended or retracted the light and it had a center position by which the light could be stopped. They also had a separate on/off switch for the bulb itself.

Unfortunately. If you retracted the light and failed to turn it off it was not noticeable from the cockpit unless you flew into a cloud where the blast of light would make it obvious. The vast majority of retractable lights I have used just went up or down. No stopping in between and the light came on shortly after it vacated the housing and went off shortly after the retraction process was initiated. I suppose that a bit of rewiring could make any of them work like our old DC-6/7 lights did.

The DC-3s that I flew had very nice fixed landing lights mounted in the leading edge of the wings. Since I just flew for one company, I have no idea whether other airlines had their airplanes differently equipped.

One thing for sure, we tried to use the landing lights as little as possible on the ground because they got too hot and would burn out the bulbs prematurely. The fixed ones would also warp the plastic leading edge cover if used on the ground.

Landing lights were normally off for all taxiing. If the need arose, just a short blast was used.

Happy Skies

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/28/2013 9:02:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time, emjones(at)charter.net writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net>

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

[quote][b]

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional input everyone! This particular application
won't have any provisions for in-flight adjustment, but the variation
in replies here has helped establish the range of ground adjustment
that I will provide for.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM, <BobsV35B(at)aol.com> wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning Eric,

Actually there were retractable landing lights which did provide the pilot
with the capability of adjusting the beam up or down, but the majority only
had one position where the light was on.

In my past, the only two airplanes I flew with the adjustable lights were
the Bamboo Bomber (Cessna Bob Cat) and the Douglas DC-6/7 series
Both of those series' aircraft had one switch that extended or retracted the
light and it had a center position by which the light could be stopped. They
also had a separate on/off switch for the bulb itself.

Unfortunately. If you retracted the light and failed to turn it off it was
not noticeable from the cockpit unless you flew into a cloud where the blast
of light would make it obvious. The vast majority of retractable lights I
have used just went up or down. No stopping in between and the light came on
shortly after it vacated the housing and went off shortly after the
retraction process was initiated. I suppose that a bit of rewiring could
make any of them work like our old DC-6/7 lights did.

The DC-3s that I flew had very nice fixed landing lights mounted in the
leading edge of the wings. Since I just flew for one company, I have no idea
whether other airlines had their airplanes differently equipped.

One thing for sure, we tried to use the landing lights as little as possible
on the ground because they got too hot and would burn out the bulbs
prematurely. The fixed ones would also warp the plastic leading edge cover
if used on the ground.

Landing lights were normally off for all taxiing. If the need arose, just a
short blast was used.

Happy Skies

Old Bob

In a message dated 6/28/2013 9:02:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
emjones(at)charter.net writes:

<emjones(at)charter.net>

You would think that DC3's or B17's must have had a way to do this. A brief
search turned up nothing, but I am sure a more thorough search would find
something applicable.

Sensing the angle of the airplane and adjusting the light automatically
would seem tricky, but sensing the speed from the pitot and making an
automatic adjustment, or putting a switch on the tail wheel might yield a
system that is worth implementing.

But Keep It Simple. Remember that the main long-throw lights are used when
the tail and airspeed is high. By the time the tail is on the ground, you
might not need much.

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

At 08:06 PM 6/28/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the additional input everyone! This particular application
won't have any provisions for in-flight adjustment, but the variation
in replies here has helped establish the range of ground adjustment
that I will provide for.

Given the low cost, small size and low energy requirements,
have you considered separate landing and taxi lights. Even
the trikes often have separate lamps.

Bob . . .

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

I'm a little to far into the integration to use two on this project.
I'm not planning to fly at night very often, so the benefit side of
the cost/benefit is fairly low starting out.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III
<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:
Quote:

<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

At 08:06 PM 6/28/2013, you wrote:
>
>
> <email(at)jaredyates.com>
>
> Thanks for the additional input everyone! This particular application
> won't have any provisions for in-flight adjustment, but the variation
> in replies here has helped establish the range of ground adjustment
> that I will provide for.
Given the low cost, small size and low energy requirements,
have you considered separate landing and taxi lights. Even
the trikes often have separate lamps.

Bob . . .

fly4grins(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

The old:

Hi Eric et al- On the (tailwheel) PV-2, the Grimes retractable landing lights are very versatile.  The basic unit and it's components can be wired a variety of ways, but in this example a three position switch controls lamp movement at will through it's entire range of ops.  Limit switches stop the motor at either end of the travel, with 'up' being fully retracted and 'down' being in a perfect position for use as a landing light.  On the ground, the lamp can be motored to any position desired for taxi.  Another switch in the assembly turns the lamp on or off as it passes the retracted plus 15 degrees position.  A separate switch in the cockpit can be used to extinguish the lamps if req'd.  Footnote:  the bomb bay lights were wired through the squat switch...  one can only imagine how that came about!  Also, I believe that basic landing light ass'y was used right up through the DC-9.

The new:  
Hi Matt et al-  Although not yet flying (someday...), I have a light in each wing, one to be aimed for taxi the other aimed for landing, and both for redundancy and collision avoidance, including one of Eric's wig-wags.  With any luck, there will be some overlap and each will suffice for the other should the need arise.

[quote][b]

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Landing Light Aim Reply with quote

I've been operating off a rather dimly lit grass strip for 15 years or so. First with a tailwheel Maule (hundreds of landings) then an RV10 (1 dozen night ops). Some observations:
  • The Maule's incandescent wing mounted landing light was aimed roughly so that the landing area was lit when on a 'normal' short final. I never adjusted it.
  • During landing, the runway lights provide most of the visual information.
  • The Maule's lights provided confirmation that there was a ground surface in the black hole and a quick view of any major obstructions just before rounding out.
  • I never saw the deer.
  • The Maule's light was on the left wing.
  • An additional light on the right wing I'm guessing would be somewhat useful on short final (see deer strike by right wheel) but of little use during taxi.
  • During taxi, the light mainly lit up the trees. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't be able to taxi safely here.
  • A nose mounted light aimed for taxi might be very useful on a dark, rough strip.
  • The pair of wing mounted HID landing lights on the '10 is what I should have had on the Maule. I would have aimed the left one for taxi and the right for the trees. Or just swapped out the incandescent unit for an HID unit.
Bill "lit grass with 100LL and JetA seems like heaven" Watson

On 6/28/2013 12:00 PM, mapratherid wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: mapratherid <mapratherid(at)gmail.com> (mapratherid(at)gmail.com)

So, maybe the light could be aimed by tracking the pitch trim.

Simpler and maybe even lighter to put two lights on the airplane? One for taxi and one for landing. You get a bit of redundancy too. Old recipe for success. Moving parts = yuck.

Finally, I would have guessed aiming for landing attitude might be better, as once you're in three point attitude you're not covering ground nearly as fast so maybe don't need to see as far/well. I do understand that your desire for visual acuity increases while close to the ground..
Cheers,

Matt-

On Jun 28, 2013, at 7:59 AM, "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net> (emjones(at)charter.net) wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net> (emjones(at)charter.net)

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=403564#403564

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: