Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical System Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonlaury

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

The thread about "Why does a master switch..." prompted me to take a look at my own electrical system.
I haven't been to the hangar to look at how my system is actually wired, but in review of my schematic, (particularly, everything left of the Main Bus)there were some glaring deficiencies re-wiring of OVM's , and the Ground Power circuit, and perhaps the Battery Bus, given the total load and the need for a switch/relay. And I was surprised to see that, with engine running, the Main bus is always hot.
I would appreciate any comments to make this better.

Thanks,
John

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Z8 -20TD FINAL.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Z8 -20TD FINAL.pdf
 Filesize:  300.3 KB
 Downloaded:  388 Time(s)

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

The thread about "Why does a master switch..." prompted me to take a
look at my own electrical system.
I haven't been to the hangar to look at how my system is actually
wired, but in review of my schematic, (particularly, everything left
of the Main Bus)there were some glaring deficiencies re-wiring of
OVM's , and the Ground Power circuit, and perhaps the Battery Bus,
given the total load and the need for a switch/relay. And I was
surprised to see that, with engine running, the Main bus is always hot.
I would appreciate any comments to make this better.

Thanks,
John

I don't see any big gottchas except for current limiter in hte
starter/alternator feed line. We don't normally put circuit protection
there. The FARS don't require it and no certified single engine
airplane would have it. Further, starter current through this device
would blow it.

Does anyone else see a problem with John's proposed installation?

Oh, yeah . . . I presume that you included a contactor in the
aux alternator b-lead to make this feed line max-dark when
the switch is off . . . this suggests that tne contactor
be mounted adjacent to the battery contactor.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

z8_20td_final_187.pdf_-_Adobe_Acrobat_Standard1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  z8_20td_final_187.pdf_-_Adobe_Acrobat_Standard1.pdf
 Filesize:  304.64 KB
 Downloaded:  389 Time(s)

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

Oops . . . didn't finish the job. The ANL60
needs to move as shown in attached.
Bob . . .

z8_20td_final_187.pdf_-_Adobe_Acrobat_Standard111.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  z8_20td_final_187.pdf_-_Adobe_Acrobat_Standard111.pdf
 Filesize:  266.76 KB
 Downloaded:  404 Time(s)

jonlaury

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
The thread about "Why does a master switch..." prompted me to take a
look at my own electrical system.
...snip
Thanks,
John

I don't see any big gottchas except for current limiter in hte
starter/alternator feed line.
... snip

Oh, yeah . . . I presume that you included a contactor in the
aux alternator b-lead to make this feed line max-dark when
the switch is off . . . this suggests that tne contactor
be mounted adjacent to the battery contactor.
Bob . . .

The current limiter is inaccurately drawn. It's actually in the B lead from the main alternator just upstream from where the B lead connects to the Starter Contactor.

And there is a contactor for the Aux Alternator B lead just left of the Aux Alt in the schematic. In reality, the contactor is about 4" from the Batt Cont.

Of concern is that I don't see any reverse polarity protection from the Ground Power Jack. How would I achieve it with what I've got?

Also, from your quote Bob,
"battery bus feeders greater than 5A
might best be fitted with a disconnect relay at the
bus . . . not unlike Figure Z-32".
Is this just for shutting down in the event of a forced landing? I wired the batt bus direct because I didn't want the always-on relay point of failure for my #2 fuel pump and aux EFI power. The # 8 wire is about 7.5".
Per the LSE manual, both ignition leads sit on the Batt + terminal.
Thanks,
John

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

Quote:
Of concern is that I don't see any reverse polarity protection from the Ground Power Jack. How would I achieve it with what I've got?

The diode located under the GND PWR switch provides reverse polarity protection, as long as the polarity is not reversed after pulling in the Ground PWR contactor. Someone could trip over the jumper cables and pull them off the GND PWR Battery. Then they could put them back on backwards. But that is a remote possibility.
If that is a crowbar-type over-voltage module, it is not wired correctly. Its upper wire needs to be removed from the GND PWR Plug and connected to the wire that goes between the diode and 2 amp circuit breaker. Then connect a 4 AWG cable between the GND PWR Plug and the Ground PWR contactor.
Joe

dennis.glaeser(at)gm.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

Am I looking at it wrong, or is the battery symbol backwards in that diagram? It looks like the + side is connected to the ground bus …

Dennis Glaeser

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer. [quote][b]

jonlaury

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

Thank you Joe.
The OVM wiring makes perfect sense now in the schematic. I'm pretty sure that's the way I wired it, but it's on my list of the next hangar visit.
I kind of get the reverse polarity protection, but I'd really appreciate a brief description of what happens should the GPJ get a reverse polarity input.

Dennis, thanks for calling the battery symbol into question. It had never occurred to me that there was a convention re which plate size was negative and which was positive.
Googling images for "12v battery symbol", it turns out that the small plate is negative and the large one positive, so my symbol on the schematic is correct with the small plate connected to the ground bus. But I didn't know that.

Bob McC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

The battery symbol thing actually carries over into the physical manufacture of the battery. The larger post on a conventional automotive battery is positive the smaller post negative just like the schematic symbol.
Think of negative as less (smaller) positive as more. (larger)

Bob McC

Quote:
Subject: Re: Electrical System Review
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:43:56 -0700
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jonlaury" <jonlaury(at)impulse.net>

Thank you Joe.
The OVM wiring makes perfect sense now in the schematic. I'm pretty sure that's the way I wired it, but it's on my list of the next hangar visit.
I kind of get the reverse polarity protection, but I'd really appreciate a brief description of what happens should the GPJ get a reverse polarity input.

Dennis, thanks for calling the battery symbol into question. It had never occurred to me that there was a convention re which plate size was negative and which was positive.
Googling images for "12v battery symbol", it turns out that the small plate is negative and the large one positive, so my symbol on the schematic is correct with the small plate connected to the ground bus. But I didn't know that.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=408788#408788

&gt=========

Quote:

[quote][b]

Falco #908
(just starting)
user9253

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

Quote:

If the ground power polarity is wrong, the lamp will not illuminate nor will the ground power contactor coil be energized because the diode blocks current in the reverse direction.
If the ground power polarity is correct when plugged in, current flows through the lamp and the diode and 2 amp circuit breaker to ground and the lamp illuminates. Then if the switch is closed, the contactor coil is energized by current flowing from the ground power plug to the contactor, through the coil, and switch, and diode, and 2 amp circuit breaker to ground.
Now that the contactor coil is energized, it will hold and stay energized even if the ground power is unplugged. Current flows from the aircraft battery (unless it is completely dead) through the already closed ground power contactor contacts, through the coil and switch and diode and 2 amp circuit breaker to ground. The ground power switch should be shut off whenever the ground power is disconnected.
Joe

Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Electrical System Review Reply with quote

My 'old-timers disease' must be kicking in. When I looked at your diagram, for some reason that symbol seemed backwards. But I looked at my own diagrams and they are the same as yours!

iDennis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: