Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Failed brownout battery experiment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user9253

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

Bob,
I communicated privately with Eric and he is sending me his DeSlumpifier for testing. Thanks Eric.
OK Bob, I will send you the voltage booster. I have your address: PO Box 130.
Joe

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

At 02:59 PM 9/25/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

Bob,
I communicated privately with Eric and he is sending me his
DeSlumpifier for testing. Thanks Eric.
OK Bob, I will send you the voltage booster. I have your address: PO Box 130.
Joe

Which booster did you order?
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-DC-Boost-Buck-Adjustable-Converter-Solar-Volt-Regulator-4-5-32V-to-1-25-32V-/350854774856?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160
Above is a link to the voltage booster that I ordered. It only cost $3.25. They say you get what you pay for. It cost a little more than some others, but still cheap. The copper coils looked impressive compared to some other units without them. I can not find any more like mine for sale on eBay. People must not be satisfied with them or else they would still be for sale. I bench tested it before giving the seller positive feedback. But I neglected to check the AC component of the output until it failed to power the Dynon D-180. Do you still want me to send the unit to you Bob, or should we just consider it a poor design and toss it?
Joe

henador_titzoff(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

Joe, all these DC to DC converters have ripple on their outputs, because they have to convert the input DC to AC, then rectify it and filter it on the way out.  On this particular model, you will see 180 KHz ripple plus harmonics. Unfortunately, the ripple amplitude is not specified. On top of that, it is not protected for input reverse polarity. I believe you mentioned earlier that you tried switching input leads to see if the AC component went away.

I personally would not buy this product without the output ripple spec defined, especially for aviation applications. I'm also leery of Made in China products, although I know some are excellent.

Henador Titzoff
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: Failed brownout battery experiment

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-DC-Boost-Buck-Adjustable-Converter-Solar-Volt-Regulator-4-5-32V-to-1-25-32V-/350854774856?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160
Above is a link to the voltage booster that I ordered. It only cost $3.25. They say you get what you pay for. It cost a little more than some others, but still cheap. The copper coils looked impressive compared to some other units without them. I can not find any more like mine for sale on eBay. People must not be satisfied with them or else they would still be for sale. I bench tested it before giving the seller positive feedback. But I neglected to check the AC component of the output until it failed to power the Dynon D-180. Do you still want me to send the unit to you Bob, or should we just consider it a poor design and toss it?
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=409234#409234

_-========================; http://forums.matronics.com</ -Mats.com/contribution" =======

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

The 28 volts AC that I measured using a cheap digital meter in the hangar was completely wrong. Testing the DC -DC voltage booster in my home workshop, my Fluke 76 true RMS meter displayed 1.6mv AC. My oscilloscope showed 12mv peak to peak ripple at a frequency of 400KHz. I connected a 1141 automotive lamp (1.4 amp) to the ouput of the voltage booster to simulate the Dynon D-180 load. Even though the voltage booster was set at 13 volts with no load, under load the voltage dropped over time to less than 10 volts. So that is why the Dynon continuously booted up and shut off. The Dynon would see 13 volts and turn on. As the voltage from the booster dropped off, the Dynon would shut off.
Next I adjusted the pot on the voltage booster to give 25 volts output with no load. Then I connected the lamp. The voltage immediately dropped to 13 volts, then slowly dropped to less than 10 volts over a period of about 3 minutes.
I noticed that negative input and negative output are connected together on the circuit board. It seems that the output voltage drops off as the IC heats up. It does not get hot enough to burn, but it is too hot to hold a finger on.
I have concluded that if this voltage booster gets its power from the starter circuit, it should prevent a brownout during engine start. However, it is incapable of supplying power for longer than a few seconds.
To Henador, no I never reversed the input polarity.
To Bob, since I have bench tested the voltage booster, I will not send it to you unless you still want it. Do you?
I will test Eric's DeSlumpifier when it arrives.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

At 06:55 PM 9/25/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

Above is a link to the voltage booster that I ordered. It only cost
$3.25. They say you get what you pay for. It cost a little more
than some others, but still cheap. The copper coils looked
impressive compared to some other units without them. I can not
find any more like mine for sale on eBay. People must not be
satisfied with them or else they would still be for sale. I bench
tested it before giving the seller positive feedback. But I
neglected to check the AC component of the output until it failed to
power the Dynon D-180. Do you still want me to send the unit to you
Bob, or should we just consider it a poor design and toss it?

No, go ahead and send it to me. This part my be performing
exactly as it was predicted. It's probably too small for the
application. I'm not sure about the "AC component"
I'll look at that when it gets here.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Failed brownout battery experiment Reply with quote

At 10:34 AM 9/26/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

The 28 volts AC that I measured using a cheap digital meter in the
hangar was completely wrong. Testing the DC -DC voltage booster in
my home workshop, my Fluke 76 true RMS meter displayed 1.6mv AC. My
oscilloscope showed 12mv peak to peak ripple at a frequency of
400KHz. I connected a 1141 automotive lamp (1.4 amp) to the ouput
of the voltage booster to simulate the Dynon D-180 load. Even
though the voltage booster was set at 13 volts with no load, under
load the voltage dropped over time to less than 10 volts. So that
is why the Dynon continuously booted up and shut off. The Dynon
would see 13 volts and turn on. As the voltage from the booster
dropped off, the Dynon would shut off.
Next I adjusted the pot on the voltage booster to give 25 volts
output with no load. Then I connected the lamp. The voltage
immediately dropped to 13 volts, then slowly dropped to less than
10 volts over a period of about 3 minutes.
I noticed that negative input and negative output are connected
together on the circuit board. It seems that the output voltage
drops off as the IC heats up. It does not get hot enough to burn,
but it is too hot to hold a finger on.
I have concluded that if this voltage booster gets its power from
the starter circuit, it should prevent a brownout during engine
start. However, it is incapable of supplying power for longer than
a few seconds.
To Henador, no I never reversed the input polarity.
To Bob, since I have bench tested the voltage booster, I will not
send it to you unless you still want it. Do you?
I will test Eric's DeSlumpifier when it arrives.

This confirms my suspicion that the part was
too small for the task.
Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: