Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXP 2 Bus workaround
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Guys...electrical wizards...

With full knowledge of my ignorance of all things electric but with only scant knowledge of the challenges which lay ahead, some time ago I purchased an EXP 2 Bus, thinking that having one would simplify many issues and offset some of the novelty inherent with my auto engine conversion, a MPEFIed derivative of a EA81 Subaru built by RAM Performance Aero Engines which is liquid cooled. Aircraft is a Europa XS monowheel which is typically powered w/ a 912S or 914.

I've been struggling to layout a circuit diagram which combines the EXP 2 BUS configured for an external solenoid with the dual battery / single alternator diagram Z-19 in the "Connection".

I have made a number of decisions which have committed me to the digital world including:

- an engine w/ electronic ignition, fuel injection, and an ECU (EC3, Real World Systems) which came w/ the engine,

- a digital EMS (EM3, Real World Systems) which "talks" w/ the ECU,

- a digital EFIS (Skyview) including moving map, digital terrain, Transponder, COM, and Intercom.

By selecting an auto engine conversion, I have committed to:

- one alternator, belt driven,

- one coolant pump, belt driven,

- single spark plug in each cylinder.

Additionally, in order to provide redundancy, the engine and control system includes:

- dual batteries, presently planned to be Odyssey 680's,

- two independent high pressure fuel pumps, each w/ their own filter,

- independent back up battery for Skyview,

- independent back up battery for stand-alone GPS, Garmin 396,

- redundant motherboards (A and B) for the ECU which are toggled from the panel.

OK...about the EXP BUS...I've now read many reports (including the VAF threads) which point out its shortcomings...but having spent $550 for it and its companion Indicator Module, and given my inexperience and lack of knowledge of things electrical, I still believe it has a place in my panel, so I hope any critique of what I'm up to doesn't focus on simply getting rid of it.

The main problem I'm having with the EXP BUS is that it simply does not have the two 20 amp circuits my engine guy sez are essential...one for the fuel injectors, and one for the coils. On my circuit diagram, I attempt to address it by running those two circuits off an Endurance bus which avoids the EXP BUS entirely.

I do use available circuits in the EXP BUS for the ECU, the EMS, and the fuel pumps; these components are also fed from the Endurance bus.

I have space on my panel (just above the EXP BUS, and below the Skyview flat screen) for a row of 6 - CB / switches which are presently planned to be:

- rocker or toggle between Fuel Pump #1 and Fuel Pump #2,
- Endurance Master Switch / 50 amp CB,
- Battery #2 ON / OFF,
- 20 amp CB for Fuel Injectors,
- 20 amp CB for Coils,
- spare

Attached are pixs of my instrument panel in its present state, and a proposed circuit diagram.
I'd be most appreciative of any comments, and particularly those which point our errors or weakness in the diagram.

Fred

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

DSCN7142.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  922.48 KB
 Viewed:  11270 Time(s)

DSCN7142.jpg

DSCN7162.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB

DSCN7162.jpg

DSCN7163.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB

DSCN7163.jpg

DSCN7159.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

DSCN7159.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Having an avionics master switch is a bad idea. It is a single point of failure.
The endurance master switch is another single point of failure. It is more likely to fail than a battery. 50 amps seems too big.
The cost of the EXP BUS should not influence the decision to use or not use it. "inexperience and lack of knowledge of things electrical" is a good reason NOT to use the EXP BUS. Discrete components are easier to troubleshoot and replace.
You are better off using one of Bob Nuckolls well proven designs, perhaps Z-19/RB (with E-Bus Relay) modified to meet the unique engine requirements.
Joe

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

I've been struggling to layout a circuit diagram which combines the EXP 2 BUS configured for an external solenoid with the dual battery / single alternator diagram Z-19 in the "Connection".

I understand the conditions that are a basis
for your struggles. You've purchased a lot of 'stuff',
cut holes in then panel and mounted it . . . and
you're only now beginning to sift the bits and
pieces in a quest for the elegant solution.

It's not clear to me how the List can be a great deal
of help . . . many options available to you at the
clean-sheet-of-paper stage for your planning are no
longer applicable.

The EXP-Bus architecture which was already pretty
busy is going to get still more complicated . . .
not a very pilot or maintenance friendly situation.

I have made a number of decisions which have committed me to the digital world including:

- an engine w/ electronic ignition, fuel injection, and an ECU (EC3, Real World Systems) which came w/ the engine,

Additionally, in order to provide redundancy, the engine and control system includes:

What are the energy demands to run the engine? If
you were powering nothing but the engine, how many
amps are required to keep the fires lit? What are
your design goals for battery only endurance? Will
one battery meet those goals or will you be taxing
both?

With two fat batteries on board, backing up these items
with still more batteries seems excessively 'redundant'.
If the ship's batteries are depleted, the value
of having the panel lit seems contrary to the
purpose of having an 'endurance mode' of flight.

The idea is to have a carefully crafted Plan-B
that gets wheels on the ground before you (a)
run out of fuel and/or (b) run out of electrons.
Critical LOADS multiplied by TIME are the driving
factor. Do you know what those numbers are?

- redundant motherboards (A and B) for the ECU which are toggled from the panel.

This architecture is not clear from your drawings.
How do TWO motherboards get switched into and out
of service?

OK...about the EXP BUS...I've now read many reports (including the VAF threads) which point out its shortcomings...but having spent $550 for it and its companion Indicator Module, and given my inexperience and lack of knowledge of things electrical, I still believe it has a place in my panel, so I hope any critique of what I'm up to doesn't focus on simply getting rid of it.

Won't do that . . . but at the same time, be aware
that contributions from the List will be adjustments
to make do with what already exists as opposed
the artfully tailored design. The end result
would not be a candidate for a new z-figure . . .
in other words, not recommended for new design.

The main problem I'm having with the EXP BUS is that it simply does not have the two 20 amp circuits my engine guy sez are essential...one for the fuel injectors, and one for the coils. On my circuit diagram, I attempt to address it by running those two circuits off an Endurance bus which avoids the EXP BUS entirely.

That seems reasonable. Z-19 suggests two
battery busses with options to run the engine
from either bus.

I do use available circuits in the EXP BUS for the ECU, the EMS, and the fuel pumps; these components
are also fed from the Endurance bus.

I suggest you divorce the engine from the EXP-Bus
entirely and plan on running the engine from its
own battery with an option for running it from the
main battery. You show three feeders to coils, injectors
and ECU. What is the recommended protection level for
each of these feeders?

I have space on my panel (just above the EXP BUS, and below the Skyview flat screen)
for a row of 6 - CB / switches which are presently planned to be:

- Battery #2 ON / OFF,
- 20 amp CB for Coils,
- spare

That's a LOT of controls with risks for not
getting the right combination of switches open/closed
when things are not going well under the cowl . . .

Attached are pixs of my instrument panel in its present state, and a proposed circuit diagram.
I'd be most appreciative of any comments, and particularly those which point our errors or weakness in the diagram.

We'll do what we can but your meatloaf is already
in then pan and we're only now joining the conversation
about ways to make it taste better.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

On Oct 12, 2013, at 8:07 AM, user9253 wrote:

Quote:

Having an avionics master switch is a bad idea. It is a single point of failure.
The endurance master switch is another single point of failure. It is more likely to fail than a battery. 50 amps seems too big.
The cost of the EXP BUS should not influence the decision to use or not use it. "inexperience and lack of knowledge of things electrical" is a good reason NOT to use the EXP BUS. Discrete components are easier to troubleshoot and replace.
You are better off using one of Bob Nuckolls well proven designs, perhaps Z-19/RB (with E-Bus Relay) modified to meet the unique engine requirements.

Joe...I thank you for your succinct and prompt assessment...much to ponder...as I wrote, I've struggled in my efforts to integrate the EXP Bus w/ Z-19 and to overcome the limitations of the EXP Bus w/ respect to my "unique engine requirements".

As you point out, the 50 amp size of the endurance master switch is too big...after reviewing my notes, I see that the injectors draw 1 to 2 amps each as do the coils...I'd misread a note calling for separate 20 amp circuits for both injectors and coils.

As for the EXP Bus, I could bring myself to discard it completely if I can conclude that by doing so, it would solve more problems than it would create. My decision to buy it was based upon seeing it in a friend's CAM 125 powered Europa; a retired RCAF senior test pilot, he admitted electronic ignorance and believed it saved him a lot of time and trouble.

Thanks again,

Fred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

At 10:07 AM 10/12/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

Having an avionics master switch is a bad idea. It is a single
point of failure.

Let's ponder the possibility of making the AV master
switch the e-bus alternate feed. This would require that
the upstream side of the switch be fed from the ship's
battery bus . . . and a diode feed be added from main
bus to the avionics cum e-bus.

Quote:
The endurance master switch is another single point of failure. It
is more likely to fail than a battery. 50 amps seems too big.

Yeah . . . if we can get all the numbers for running
the engine, perhaps we can move toward a Z-19 configuration
that eliminates the need for a single switch to manage
all engine power feeders.

Quote:
The cost of the EXP BUS should not influence the decision to use
or not use it. "inexperience and lack of knowledge of things
electrical" is a good reason NOT to use the EXP BUS. Discrete
components are easier to troubleshoot and replace.
You are better off using one of Bob Nuckolls well proven designs,
perhaps Z-19/RB (with E-Bus Relay) modified to meet the unique
engine requirements.

It may be possible/practical to get there without taking
a chain-saw to the panel. I don't know what the switches
are like on the EXP-Bus but they can't be any worse than
those used on the C-150 for a decade or so . . . and while
a significant maintenance item for the TC world with
$50 shop labor rates, many of those switches did just
fine for a long time.

How can we eliminate single points of failure and leave
the EXP-Bus largely intact?

Another point I've pondered is the idea of taking the
alternator b-lead to the battery or starter contactors
through a current limiter and not bringing the feeder
into the cockpit.
Bob . . .

bbradburry(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Fred,
Z-19 has a battery buss for each of the batteries. If you have an
electrically dependent engine, you should run everything that the engine
needs to keep operating off of those battery busses. I am talking about the
engine controller, fuel pumps, injector power, igniter power, etc..

You should be able to shut off the master and never have a hiccup from your
engine. I would not put anything you need to remain in the air thru that
EXP BUS.

Bill B

--

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Quote:

As you point out, the 50 amp size of the endurance master switch is
too big...after reviewing my notes, I see that the injectors draw 1
to 2 amps each as do the coils...I'd misread a note calling for
separate 20 amp circuits for both injectors and coils.

Aha! that's good to hear . . . What's the
ECU draw?

Quote:
As for the EXP Bus, I could bring myself to discard it completely if
I can conclude that by doing so, it would solve more problems than
it would create. My decision to buy it was based upon seeing it in a
friend's CAM 125 powered Europa; a retired RCAF senior test pilot,
he admitted electronic ignorance and believed it saved him a lot of
time and trouble.

These things DO save a lot of time if you can
use them plug-n-play with the architecture around
which the panel was designed. The EXP-Bus is
tailored to the legacy TC aircraft systems with
avionics bus, no battery buss(es), b-lead coming
into the cockpit, etc.

There are tens of thousands of airplanes carrying
happy pilots around with that architecture so there's
noting 'wrong' with it. But incorporating alternative
design goals into a cookie-cutter product can be
a challenge . . . let's see what we can do with it.

Fred, is your alternator internally regulated? Are
you amenable to modifying it for compatibility with
external management of over-voltage events?

Bob . . .

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

On Oct 12, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

I understand the conditions that are a basis for your struggles.

Bob,
Thank you for your thoughtful, point by point dissection of my posting...you raise a number of questions which I know I need to have answered...and I appreciate your restraint and good humor.
It may take a while to sort out things...you're quite correct in writing that I am on "a quest for the elegant solution" for what goes on behind the panel as well in as all other aspects of my aircraft.
Certainly my intention when purchasing an EMS designed to compliment my ECU, an integrated avionics suite like Skyview, and the EXP Bus for that matter, was to eliminate as many "seams" as possible.
With utmost respect,
Fred
[quote][b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

On Oct 12, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
As you point out, the 50 amp size of the endurance master switch is too big...after reviewing my notes, I see that the injectors draw 1 to 2 amps each as do the coils...I'd misread a note calling for separate 20 amp circuits for both injectors and coils.

Aha! that's good to hear . . . What's the ECU draw?

Bob...ECU draws 1/2 amp...(exclusive of fuel injectors and coils)
Quote:

Quote:
As for the EXP Bus, I could bring myself to discard it completely if I can conclude that by doing so, it would solve more problems than it would create. My decision to buy it was based upon seeing it in a friend's CAM 125 powered Europa; a retired RCAF senior test pilot, he admitted electronic ignorance and believed it saved him a lot of time and trouble.

These things DO save a lot of time if you can
use them plug-n-play with the architecture around
which the panel was designed.

...which indeed was my intention...and, I might add, that pulling the EXP from my instrument panel module and replacing it w/ a blank plate is a 15 min. job...no hack saw req'd...

Quote:
The EXP-Bus is tailored to the legacy TC aircraft systems with
avionics bus, no battery buss(es), b-lead coming
into the cockpit, etc.

There are tens of thousands of airplanes carrying
happy pilots around with that architecture so there's
noting 'wrong' with it. But incorporating alternative
design goals into a cookie-cutter product can be
a challenge . . . let's see what we can do with it.

...I'm reluctant to throw the baby out w/ the bathwater...
Quote:

Fred, is your alternator internally regulated?

...yes...

Quote:
Are you amenable to modifying it for compatibility with
external management of over-voltage events?

...the very thought of doing so fills me w/ dread, and first I'd like to research and determine to what extent it manages over-voltage events internally...

Fred
[quote][b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Quote:

This architecture is not clear from your drawings.
How do TWO motherboards get switched into and out
of service?

Bob...in the center of the ECU control panel are 2 toggle switches...the one at right toggles between "A" and "B"...the "A" is hidden by the switch...using the LCD screen for the EMS, the ECU is programmable from the cockpit...Fred
[img]cid:EABF179C-5720-4B18-AC4E-8FB026BA1FC5[/img]

[img]cid:DE63BB4E-74F4-470B-89D4-2E0B3205093D[/img]

DSCN7142_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.63 KB
 Viewed:  11252 Time(s)

DSCN7142_3.jpg

DSCN7142_4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.38 KB
 Viewed:  11252 Time(s)

DSCN7142_4.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Assuming that the EXP 2 Bus is utilized, how about feeding the E-Bus from each end, one end from battery #1 and the other end from battery #2? Then the failure of any one wire or connection will not open power going to the E-Bus. 30 amp fuses could be inserted near the batteries. Diodes prevent starting or fault current from flowing from one battery to the other through the E-Bus. See schematic attached.
Joe

E-Bus.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.02 KB
 Viewed:  11245 Time(s)

E-Bus.jpg

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

On Oct 12, 2013, at 11:55 AM, user9253 wrote:
Quote:
Assuming that the EXP 2 Bus is utilized, how about feeding the E-Bus from each end, one end from battery #1 and the other end from battery #2?

Thanks Joe...by coincidence, I've just sent off an email to the makers of the EXP asking almost the very same thing...stay tuned, Fred

[quote][b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Quote:

With two fat batteries on board, backing up these items
with still more batteries seems excessively 'redundant'.
If the ship's batteries are depleted, the value
of having the panel lit seems contrary to the
purpose of having an 'endurance mode' of flight.

Bob...my reasoning behind the individual little back up batteries for Skyview EFIS and my back up GPS was not to address an immediate concern for main battery life, but rather to provide continued operation independent of the aircraft electrical system, be it powered by the "main bus" or the "endurance bus".
On the other hand, I thought that given the degree of my engine's dependence on electricity, it would be a good thing to lessen the load going thru the endurance bus...I've yet to quantify the implications of this, but conceptually, I thought it was a good move.
No question in my mind that I want to incorporate a robust endurance bus...a couple of years ago, a Europa pal, Paul McCallister, was struck by lightning, and continued flying for 90 minutes to your design which he'd followed which included an endurance bus as part of your Rotax 9XX diagram.
Fred
[quote][b]

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Fred,

I had an Exp Bus 2 in my airplane for several years. The original builder fitted it after a similar thought process to your friend's. Thinking about its good points and not so good.

Good things:
It has a good instrument light dimmer

Not so good things:
It is difficult to expand
The current sensing lights on the indicator module aren't that accurate (cause more concern than they are worth)
It is difficult to add additional services
I found I had an intermittent fault that cut power to the avionics momentarily, which took the txpdr off line for long enough that ATC would give me a hard time, but I could not talk back to them as the radio was going through its self test. Never did find out what the problem was.

I would use it to power those items that you could fly without.

I would route the power to the ECUs well away from it (for that matter, anything to do with the engine/fuel pumps) and would also power the radio, txpdr & Skyview from the Endurance bus only (with 2 batteries you don't really need a skyview battery as well).

I would have an individual switch to connect each battery to the endurance bus (one switch is a single point failure), and an individual switch for each fuel pump - perhaps gated to stop inadvertent switching off.
If comm, txpdr & Skyview remain powered from Av bus on Exp2 I would not use the avionics master switch on the board (another potential single point failure) - can it be jumpered? If it only powers the GPS (with internal battery) & intercom there is not much point in a jumper, leave it in.

Peter

On 12/10/2013 07:29, Fred Klein wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
Guys...electrical wizards...

With full knowledge of my ignorance of all things electric but with only scant knowledge of the challenges which lay ahead, some time ago I purchased an EXP 2 Bus, thinking that having one would simplify many issues and offset some of the novelty inherent with my auto engine conversion, a MPEFIed derivative of a EA81 Subaru built by RAM Performance Aero Engines which is liquid cooled. Aircraft is a Europa XS monowheel which is typically powered w/ a 912S or 914.

- a digital EMS (EM3, Real World Systems) which "talks" w/ the ECU,

- a digital EFIS (Skyview) including moving map, digital terrain, Transponder, COM, and Intercom.

By selecting an auto engine conversion, I have committed to:

- one alternator, belt driven,

- one coolant pump, belt driven,

- single spark plug in each cylinder.

- two independent high pressure fuel pumps, each w/ their own filter,

I do use available circuits in the EXP BUS for the ECU, the EMS, and the fuel pumps; these components are also fed from the Endurance bus.

I have space on my panel (just above the EXP BUS, and below the Skyview flat screen) for a row of 6 - CB / switches which are presently planned to be:

- Battery #2 ON / OFF,
- 20 amp CB for Coils,
- spare

Fred

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

On Oct 12, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Peter Pengilly wrote:
Quote:
I had an Exp Bus 2 in my airplane for several years. The original builder fitted it after a similar thought process to your friend's. Thinking about its good points and not so good.

Good things:
It has a good instrument light dimmer

Peter...what a ringing endorsement...!...LOL...
Thanks much for your thoughtful suggestions...I am indeed back at the drawing board.
Fred

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: EXP 2 Bus workaround Reply with quote

Quote:

Bob...my reasoning behind the individual little back up batteries
for Skyview EFIS and my back up GPS was not to address an immediate
concern for main battery life, but rather to provide continued
operation independent of the aircraft electrical system, be it