Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copper Foil width for VOR antenna
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p32gxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am installing a Jim Weir style copper tape antenna in the wing of my composite aircraft. I have the choice of 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide copper tape... will going with one or the other make any real difference for a VOR antenna?

Thx,
M

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

<< I am installing a Jim Weir style copper tape antenna in the wing of my
composite aircraft. I have the choice of 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide copper tape...
will going with one or the other make any real difference for a VOR antenna?
>>

Real difference? No. The wider tape will give you in theory a wider
bandwidth antenna but the performance difference is hard to detect. But if
I had the wider tape available anyway, I would use it. Besides, the wider
tape is marginally more mechanically robust. The foil tapes have a history
of breaking when installed in flexing locations such as landing gear.

Tom Kuffel

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

p32gxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Ok... got the bandwidth angle... as planned now it would be installed in tension mostly...

my other option is to use part of the coax itself as the legs of the V shaped dipole

any thoughts?

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

<< part of the coax itself as the legs of the V shaped dipole >>

This has been done often in composite fuselages. It certainly is more
physically robust than the foil tapes. The difference in bandwidth between
the thin center conductor and the foil tape versions is measurable with less
than lab quality equipment but the difference in performance is still not
perceptible. Be sure to seal the end of the cable where the shield and the
center conductor split to form the legs of the antenna with something like
Performix Liquid Tape (Walmart Auto Section). Also seal the end of the
center conductor. If water gets into the coax you will detect lower
performance.

Tom Kuffel

p32gxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Thx... I am actually thinking of using the braid only as the antenna material... as part of making a proper balun one would only use the braid to connect to the antenna elements anyway while the center cnnductor is not connected... this should avoid the problem you are describing... as long as i can successfully slide about a 16" long undisturbed braid-external shielding up on the stripped coax to avoid the large resulting gap.

Water will not get into this setup as it will be saturated with epoxy.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

At 04:26 PM 10/15/2013, you wrote:
Quote:

Thx... I am actually thinking of using the braid only as the antenna
material... as part of making a proper balun one would only use the
braid to connect to the antenna elements anyway while the center
cnnductor is not connected... this should avoid the problem you are
describing... as long as i can successfully slide about a 16" long
undisturbed braid-external shielding up on the stripped coax to
avoid the large resulting gap.

Water will not get into this setup as it will be saturated with epoxy.

The problem with embedded antennas is the potential for
fatigue failure of the conductors if the composite
structure flexes. This can produce hairline fractures
in foil or wire antennas bonded to a composite surface. It can
make your antenna conductors look like the wires in a strain
guage . . . that stretch and compress as the surface responds
to structure flexing.

RF bandwidth of the wider foil is attractive but as mentioned
here, insignificant with respect to performance. Consider an
ALL COAX antenna assembly. Balun is optional . . . cool
but performance difference is very small. Making the
antenna elements from coax braid FLOATING INSIDE a piece of 1/4"
Nylon tubing will get you a simple antenna material,
adequate performance and the tubing isolates the antenna
from structure so that flexing doesn't mechanically irritate
the elements.
Bob . . .

FisherPaulA(at)johndeere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Just another data point. I used Mr. Weir's antennas in my Q-200 (fully composite structure). The vertically polarized comm antenna in the tail and the horizontally polarized VOR antenna in the main wing. Both were installed exactly as Mr. Weir describes using his kit including the copper foil. Both antennas have given satisfactory performance for 23+ years and ~1,500 flight hours.

Paul A. Fisher
Q-200 N17PF
--

p32gxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

I am loving the idea of a protective sheath/tube to achieve mechanical isolation...
Unfortunately, i don't see how I can make use of this approach without either drilling holes in the spar or messing up the wing's shape/airflow

The VOR antenna I can install has to be flat so that it integrates into the wing surface. Don't want to be compromising the wing skin... moving the antenna is also not an option because the only place I can keep the tips away from "metal" antennae like structures is in the outboard 1/3 of the wing.

I am all open to suggestions and will consider anything and everything including novel designs and unusual shapes as I am finding that the 22.8" per leg of the V shaped antennae is hard to place without interference.... please keep them comming.

Thx.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
At 04:26 PM 10/15/2013, you wrote
to structure flexing.

the elements.
Bob . . .

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

A technique used by some boat builders to form pillow blocks for prop shafts is to coat the shaft with wax of sufficient thickness to assure clearance between the block and the shaft when the wax is removed.

WARNING, I HAVE NOT TRIED THE TECHNIQUE DISCUSSED BELOW. IT IS ONLY SPECULATION!!!!!

A similar approach might be applied to the copper strip in the matrix. Coat it with several layers of wax or mold release before imbeding it in the matrix. The theory is that the wax will prevent the matrix from bonding to the copper, effectively creating a space on either side of the copper allowing it to move slightly to avoid being stressed when the matrix is deformed. The downside is that it is functionally a delamination. Whether or not that is acceptable would have to be decided by the builder.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine
On 10/16/2013 06:27 PM, p32gxy wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "p32gxy" <p32gxy(at)gmail.com> (p32gxy(at)gmail.com)

I am loving the idea of a protective sheath/tube to achieve mechanical isolation...
Unfortunately, i don't see how I can make use of this approach without either drilling holes in the spar or messing up the wing's shape/airflow

The VOR antenna I can install has to be flat so that it integrates into the wing surface. Don't want to be compromising the wing skin... moving the antenna is also not an option because the only place I can keep the tips away from "metal" antennae like structures is in the outboard 1/3 of the wing.

I am all open to suggestions and will consider anything and everything including novel designs and unusual shapes as I am finding that the 22.8" per leg of the V shaped antennae is hard to place without interference.... please keep them comming.

Thx.
Quote:
to structure flexing.

the elements.
Bob . . .

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=410717#410717

[b]

p32gxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n wrote:
A technique used by some boat builders to form pillow blocks for prop shafts is to coat the shaft with wax of sufficient thickness to assure clearance between the block and the shaft when the wax is removed..

Well... I have been thinking of something similar... except using copper foils such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#9053k12/=oyvy3i and putting it between 2 layers of PTFE tape such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#76475a43/=oyw325 before covering the thing with 1 ply of 3oz glass.

This approach, I think, would create a non-stick copper foil 'assembly' to which epoxy would not stick... effectively the copper tape would not be bound to the wing skin. The push-pull on the copper foil should be much reduced...

The "de-lamination" should not be an issue as the covering fiberglass layer only has the purpose of keeping the tape in place... no structural impact as i understand it.

The only place to be fixed would be where the coax attaches as the leads would have to penetrate the wing skin through very small holes.

I don't mind spending a bit more money upfront rather than fixing broken VOR antennae later Smile

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

The only potential problem I see with that is that the epoxy might be drawn in between the 2 pieces of plastic by capillary action or if it's vacuum bagged, and then bond to the copper. You might be able to get some thin wall HDPE tubing that will pull down flat if you vacuum bag it. I wonder if you could just put some grease on it. I suppose a couple of test layups will answer most of the questions.

I just had another thought. Could you lay a thin piece of styrofoam in and then dissolve it and slide the foil in? Then just fill the slot, leaving the copper anchored at one end.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing what your solution is.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine
On 10/16/2013 10:15 PM, p32gxy wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "p32gxy" <p32gxy(at)gmail.com> (p32gxy(at)gmail.com)
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n wrote:
Quote:
A technique used by some boat builders to form pillow blocks for prop shafts is to coat the shaft with wax of sufficient thickness to assure clearance between the block and the shaft when the wax is removed..

Well... I have been thinking of something similar... except using copper foils such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#9053k12/=oyvy3i and putting it between 2 layers of PTFE tape such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#76475a43/=oyw325 before covering the thing with 1 ply of 3oz glass.

This approach, I think, would create a non-stick copper foil 'assembly' to which epoxy would not stick... effectively the copper tape would not be bound to the wing skin. The push-pull on the copper foil should be much reduced...

The "de-lamination" should not be an issue as the covering fiberglass layer only has the purpose of keeping the tape in place... no structural impact as i understand it.

The only place to be fixed would be where the coax attaches as the leads would have to penetrate the wing skin through very small holes.

I don't mind spending a bit more money upfront rather than fixing broken VOR antennae later Smile

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=410726#410726

[b]

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

<< don't see how I can make use of this approach without either drilling
holes in the spar or messing up the wing's shape/airflow >>

We have reached the point where we need more information. Are you talking
Rutan moldless composite construction or premolded skins a la
Lancair/Glasair?

In the case of the former and you have not laminated the wing skins yet,
there is no problem. Do what you would have to do with the coax anyway, cut
a groove in the foam for the tubes with the braids inside. Make the
grooves deeper than needed and cover with microbaloon slurry and a temporary
layer of peelply. This forms a surface for glassing with no delamination
areas or profile distortion.

With premolded wing panels you glue the tubes to the undersurface. With
braid as my antenna elements, I would have no qualms about just ShoGooing
them to the panel undersurface. The ShoGoo remains flexible enough to not
stress the wires. For routing the feedline, structural theory says there is
little problem drilling a small hole in the middle of the vertical shear
web, particularly outboard. But don't get too compulsive about routing the
end of the coax/balun directly away from the Vee. Even bent 90 degrees to
the Vee you won't see much, if any, difference.

<< 22.8" per leg of the V shaped antennae is hard to place without
interference >>

The purpose of making the legs Vee shaped is to remove the null reception
points off the ends of a straight dipole. But you don't need 45 degree
bends to do this. A much shallower angle will still give adequate
performance. And there is no problem with curlling the tips somewhat near
the leading edge.

Understand we don't need the last db of signal strength in this application.
In a composite fuselage a 23" length of wire dangling from the center
conductor on the back of the radio would still give "adequate performance".

Tom Kuffel

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

When the wires at each end of 300 ohm TV antenna twin lead are connected together, the twin lead will have the same bandwidth as copper tape. Jim Weir has used twin lead for some of his antennas.
Joe

p32gxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

kuffel(at)cyberport.net wrote:

We have reached the point where we need more information. Are you talking Rutan moldless composite construction or premolded skins a la
Lancair/Glasair?

The wing is all finished, using premolded skins. This is a retrofit as the original builder did not see the need to put in a VOR antenna. I only have access to the inside of the wing through the pitot service door (small)... not a lot of room to work with... which is the reason why I have been attracted to the copper foil antenna which can be mounted on the "outer" surface of the wing.

Theory notwithstanding, I don't like to drill holes in structural elements... call me crazy... unless there is absolutely no other way. For me, this thread is about finding the other way Smile

I am even considering the Dave Morris Loop antenna (http://www.davemorris.com/MorrisComLoop.cfm), adapted to the NAV band I calculate a 29.5" diameter for the loop... I could fit such a loop on the underside of the fuselage and avoid the complications of wing based antennae...placement supposedly is not so critical as with the "V" shaped when it comes to proximity to other metal elements... then again this is all theory for me as I have no experience with loop antennae.

The purpose of making the legs Vee shaped is to remove the null reception points off the ends of a straight dipole. But you don't need 45 degree bends to do this. A much shallower angle will still give adequate
performance. And there is no problem with curlling the tips somewhat near the leading edge.

The location and available space is less than ideal... I do try to avoid curling the tips or getting them within 1/4 wave length of metallic wires/tubes, etc. due to the tips being more the sensitive end of the assembly from a placement standpoint... the best angle I'll be able to do is 120 deg between the legs.

Understand we don't need the last db of signal strength in this application.
In a composite fuselage a 23" length of wire dangling from the center
conductor on the back of the radio would still give "adequate performance".

I am not sure i agree with the basic principle inherent in this statement (I keep hearing a lot). While i agree that some of the "optimizations" don't have an adequate reward ratio, I still try to do the best job I can under the circumstances. If and when I cut corners, I want to do so fully understanding the tradeoffs (and risks if any) so that i can make informed decisions.

Coax is a typical example... I am spending x6 the $$ to get RG400 rather than RG58U being fully aware of all the arguments that from a sheer dB loss standpoint, the difference will not be practically noticeable... the extra shielding however is not just a matter of dB loss (in my eyes)... interference from strobes, etc. comes to mind.

Thanks for all the posts... keep them coming !!!

p32gxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
When the wires at each end of 300 ohm TV antenna twin lead are connected together, the twin lead will have the same bandwidth as copper tape. Jim Weir has used twin lead for some of his antennas.
Joe

Not familiar with this technique... theorizing here... the effective performance depends on distance between leads, dielectric type, etc... this type of antenna would have to be seriously tuned post installation...

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

<< copper foil antenna which can be mounted on the "outer" surface of the
wing... don't like to drill holes in structural elements >>

So the plan would be to drill 2 tiny holes in the wing skin and feed
pigtails through them for connection to the coax/balun? Or is it to have
the center of the Vee even with the rear edge with the cable in the aileron
slot for feeding to the wing interior perhaps via an existing gap?

<< Dave Morris Loop antenna >>

This is an excellent antenna, best if mounted horizontally as you propose.
RG-59 will work for the matching line. Depending on conditions you might
need to replace the tuning section every 10 to 15 years or so. The local
amateur radio club (see ARRL.org) can get you access to an antenna analyzer
which will tell you the condition of the antenna.

The effects of the rudder cables and elevator control are unknown. Not as
visually hidden but the top of the fuselage might work better electrically.

<< > In a composite fuselage a 23" length of wire dangling from the center
Quote:
conductor on the back of the radio would still give "adequate
performance".

I am not sure i agree with the basic principle inherent in this statement >>

Try it, it is a simple, easy experiment.

<< RG400 rather than RG58U >>

For me the RG400 is worth the cost. Besides the lower loss and much better
shielding which you mention, RG400 is much more stable over time. I've seen
some really ratty RG58 come out of older airplanes over the years. Shocking
the radio still worked at all (see 23" dangling wire above).

Tom Kuffel

p32gxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

So the plan would be to drill 2 tiny holes in the wing skin and feed
pigtails through them for connection to the coax/balun? Or is it to have
the center of the Vee even with the rear edge with the cable in the aileron
slot for feeding to the wing interior perhaps via an existing gap?

2 tiny holes and feed pigtails to the balun which will be coiled up in an inside space.

<<Dave>>
This is an excellent antenna, best if mounted horizontally as you propose.
RG-59 will work for the matching line. Depending on conditions you might need to replace the tuning section every 10 to 15 years or so. The local amateur radio club (see ARRL.org) can get you access to an antenna analyzer which will tell you the condition of the antenna.

I have been researching loop antennas as I do like the small footprint, omni-directionality, etc. What I am finding so far sounds very good... I am looking for the gotcha... why are they not popular if they are so good?

The only answer I am able to come up with thus far is that impedance matching seems too complicated for most people, you do need to invest in an SWR meter for proper tuning! In other words you do need some background/experience in RF engineering.

The effects of the rudder cables and elevator control are unknown. Not as visually hidden but the top of the fuselage might work better electrically.

As i understand this particular challenge... any long conductor near the loop should theoretically act as a reflector, which means in that direction the reception will be affected. Worst case, one may have a dead spot if the conductive element (rudder cable/elevator controls) are near the antenna's plane. Loop antenna or not, the effects are the same ... am I missing something?

The top of the fuselage is indeed further removed from most elements which would interfere with the antenna (except for the salty water in my head). Considering that a loop antenna in that location is full wavelength with a minimum of 1dB of gain... I believe I will investigate the possibility of placing the loop antenna there. For the loop antenna, I could use regular Tefzel wire and mount the whole thing on the inside Smile

I will have to curve the whole antenna downward to match the curvature of the fuselage, but this should have minimal effect on performance, especially if using a Delta Loop (3 sided triangular loop) as this would allow me to angle the tip backwards with the widest part of the loop placed in the widest section of the fuselage.

In a composite fuselage a 23" length of wire dangling from the center conductor on the back of the radio would still give "adequate performance".

Try it, it is a simple, easy experiment.

Technically a wet string would work... that doesn't mean I want to use wet strings in my airplane Smile... I do find the irony in it though... millions are spent on antenna design... when wet noodles would do the trick Smile

LynnCole(at)foxvalley.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Why not use some fiberglas to laminate the sheath into the wing in the position where you want it?
-----
Lynn Cole
LynnCole(at)foxvalley.net (LynnCole(at)foxvalley.net)

On Oct 16, 2013, at 6:27 PM, p32gxy wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "p32gxy" <p32gxy(at)gmail.com (p32gxy(at)gmail.com)>

Thx.
Quote:
to structure flexing.

the elements.
Bob . . .

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=410717#410717

- The --> &n========================

p32gxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

Just an update... I am currently pursuing a loop antenna made out of Coax which allows me to reduce it's size somewhat. I am looking at placing this antenna inside the fuselage tailcone (all composite) and avoid the complications associated with placing the VOR antenna in the wing.

I've ordered an VHF/UHF Vector Antenna Analyzer to tune this guy in place. I am hoping that this "experiment" will go well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Copper Foil width for VOR antenna Reply with quote

At 09:22 AM 10/22/2013, you wrote:

Just an update... I am currently pursuing a loop antenna made out of
Coax which allows me to reduce it's size somewhat. I am looking at
placing this antenna inside the fuselage tailcone (all composite) and
avoid the complications associated with placing the VOR antenna in the wing.

I've ordered an VHF/UHF Vector Antenna Analyzer to tune this guy in
place. I am hoping that this "experiment" will go well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments.

Look up loop antennas in the forums, websites
and journals for amateur radio enthusiasts.
Loop antennas can be adequate if not stellar
performers. But as Robert Heinlein once penned,
"their ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Generally, any physical shortening of an antenna
requires some "tuning" reactances in the form of
inductors as loading coils or capacitors at
the ends as tuning devices. These added devices
alter the distribution of currents along your antenna's
conductors is ways that are almost never beneficial.

I recall that halo antennas for 2m were rather
narrow banded . . . on a ham band that was 4/146
or +/- 1.5% wide. Your VOR 'halo' range of interest
has a bandwidth of 113/10 or +/- 4.5% a bit
worse.

Fortunately, antennas for aviation are exceedingly
forgiving . . . especially receiving antennas that
watch 100W transmitters from line of sight distances.
So getting your antenna centered on the range of
interest for frequencies is task one. After that,
making quantitative measurements of performance
is at least tedious if not tricky. The analyzer
will measure impedances that can be plotted over
the range of interest but will be of no value
for predicting performance.

Probably the best thing a shade-tree pilot
cum antenna designer can do is install the
experiment. Go fly it. Then report performance
based on experience with other antennas in
rather broad terms of "works fine" or perhaps
not.

The time and effort that takes you from as
assessment of "adequate" to a quantified
plotting of one antenna against another is
a really big jump.

Please share your experiments and findings
with us. Pictures are good too.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: