Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

I was re-reading the 912 installation manual and noticed that it recommends
a 30 micron fuel filter in the unpressurized section of the fuel system and
then a 15 micron filter in the pressurized section. My Kitfox only has a
gascolator.

Can someone recommend a filter to install in the pressurized section? Where
exactly would one put it? A filter with replacement cartridges that are
easy to buy in Europe would be a plus.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Alan Carter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi.
Just read your post.
I have a Rotax 914, many years ago, entry in log book states.
Fuel Filters Removed and Gasalator Fitted,
Have had no trouble with Gasolator, but read many times engine failure filter blocked.
regards.
Alan

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi Listers, does no-one know the answer to the below? Any help would be
greatly appreciated!
Sacha
Kitfox IV, Rotax 912, Italy

I was re-reading the 912 installation manual and noticed that it recommends
a 30 micron fuel filter in the unpressurized section of the fuel system and
then a 15 micron filter in the pressurized section. My Kitfox only has a
gascolator.

Can someone recommend a filter to install in the pressurized section? Where
exactly would one put it? A filter with replacement cartridges that are
easy to buy in Europe would be a plus.

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

Hello Sacha:
The Pressurized Vs Unpressurized locations is dependent on the installation set-up you have.  Basically the Unpressurized side is coming from the fuel tank and the Pressurized is everything after the Fuel Pump.  Do you have a Electric Boost Pump installed?  That is usually installed 'upstream' - Before the mechanical fuel pump so - - The unpressurized is now BEFORE the electric boost pump, which may have its own built in filter (Faucet).

I really do not see any reason why there should be two different micron size filters.  There are three requirements:
1 - What ever filter you chose it MUST be able to handle TWICE the maximum fuel pressure.
2 - The micron size should be small enough to catch the smallest size particle that could cause a problem.  Since there is a suggestion/requirement to use a 15 micron filter, I would use that size in both locations.  Why pass on a dirt particle from one filter and part of a system further down and maybe into a difficult to reach part of the system.
3 - Fuel flow is dependent on a few factors:
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Line Size - Both Diameter and Length
Filter Area
Install the LARGEST surface area size, filter that will fit.  It will filter better with much less chance of clogging AND it will even increase the fuel capacity of your plane Wink

Now, where to get such a filter?
On the RV6 that I fly, I installed a clear plastic Automotive Fuel Filter, on each wing tank.  Look for a LARGE filter that advertises the working fuel pressure [WP or SBWP].  Because of this planes fuel line location I can see the filters while flying the plane.  It is my first line of defense for fuel contamination.  
After the filters there is a Boost Pump then the Gascolator (Personally I do not like Gascolators as they are difficult to service both at pre-flight and safety inspection.  And, I have never seen any contamination collected in them. A good thing, but if the inline filters work and the boost pump filter works...  More is not always better; then comes the mechanical fuel pump.  
Here in the States the cost of these filters is around: $3 to $5 each (USD).
As a side note:  I have seen some very large fuel filters that look like they could store a liter.  They are metal bodied and cost about $8 to $15 USD.  Two of them would increase your planes fuel capacity and time.

*Barry*
NJ has taken the next step.  They are identifying cars with bad drivers.  You will notice some cars with a large red "R" on them.   That is to identify the drivers as "R"estricted.  Restricted is just a polite way of saying Bad Drivers.  Be cautious around them.

[quote]

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi Barry, thanks for your comments.  My setup is as follows (a/c is a Kitfox):

8mm (5/16”) ID hoses going from:

Wing tanks
<![if !supportLists]>è <![endif]>header tank (located behind the seat)
<![if !supportLists]>è <![endif]>Gascolator (ACS)
<![if !supportLists]>è <![endif]>Electrical fuel pump (no inbuilt filter; there is a line that bypasses the fuel pump and has a one-way valve – just in case the fuel pump gets blocked)
<![if !supportLists]>è <![endif]>Mechanical Fuel pump
<![if !supportLists]>è <![endif]>Engine and return line to Gascolator

I understand your comments about 30 vs 15 microns, however… I’m thinking that if the Rotax installation manual says 30 and then 15 there must be a reason… so I’d rather follow their instructions exactly.  So this means I’m thinking of putting the 15 micron fuel filter between the Mechanical Fuel Pump and the Engine

Summarizing what you have said, you recommend:
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Able to withstand at least twice the max fuel pressure in the lines
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>With a large surface area

My question is: what fuel filters do people on this list use/recommend?   Some brand names and/or a photo or two would be much appreciated!

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Thursday, 24 October, 2013 16:25
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: fuel filter

Hello Sacha:

The Pressurized Vs Unpressurized locations is dependent on the installation set-up you have. Basically the Unpressurized side is coming from the fuel tank and the Pressurized is everything after the Fuel Pump. Do you have a Electric Boost Pump installed? That is usually installed 'upstream' - Before the mechanical fuel pump so - - The unpressurized is now BEFORE the electric boost pump, which may have its own built in filter (Faucet).

I really do not see any reason why there should be two different micron size filters. There are three requirements:

1 - What ever filter you chose it MUST be able to handle TWICE the maximum fuel pressure.

2 - The micron size should be small enough to catch the smallest size particle that could cause a problem. Since there is a suggestion/requirement to use a 15 micron filter, I would use that size in both locations. Why pass on a dirt particle from one filter and part of a system further down and maybe into a difficult to reach part of the system.

3 - Fuel flow is dependent on a few factors:

Fuel Pressure

Fuel Line Size - Both Diameter and Length

Filter Area

Install the LARGEST surface area size, filter that will fit. It will filter better with much less chance of clogging AND it will even increase the fuel capacity of your plane Wink

Now, where to get such a filter?

On the RV6 that I fly, I installed a clear plastic Automotive Fuel Filter, on each wing tank. Look for a LARGE filter that advertises the working fuel pressure [WP or SBWP]. Because of this planes fuel line location I can see the filters while flying the plane. It is my first line of defense for fuel contamination.

After the filters there is a Boost Pump then the Gascolator (Personally I do not like Gascolators as they are difficult to service both at pre-flight and safety inspection. And, I have never seen any contamination collected in them. A good thing, but if the inline filters work and the boost pump filter works... More is not always better; then comes the mechanical fuel pump.

Here in the States the cost of these filters is around: $3 to $5 each (USD).

As a side note: I have seen some very large fuel filters that look like they could store a liter. They are metal bodied and cost about $8 to $15 USD. Two of them would increase your planes fuel capacity and time.

*Barry*
NJ has taken the next step. They are identifying cars with bad drivers. You will notice some cars with a large red "R" on them. That is to identify the drivers as "R"estricted. Restricted is just a polite way of saying Bad Drivers. Be cautious around them.
Quote:

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi.
Just read your post.
I have a Rotax 914, many years ago, entry in log book states.
Fuel Filters Removed and Gasalator Fitted,
Have had no trouble with Gasolator, but read many times engine failure filter blocked.
regards.
Alan

Hi Alan,

For some reason I never got your reply – I just happened to see it today as I was browsing the website. So sorry for not replying earlier.

I went back and tried to find the source for the 30 and 15 micron thing I mentioned in the first post. This is very strange: I couldn’t find anything of the kind in the installation manual. I’m beginning to think I dreamed it all up in the first place now.
The only filter I have is a Gascolator, so I guess my installation is fine after all… Anyway, thanks to you and to Barry for your replies… and sorry for wasting your time and for putting incorrect information out there.

For the record, the copy of the installation manual that I have (Ed.2/Rev.0 Aug 2012) says:
Coarse filter: On fuel tank as per certification (whatever that means)
Fine filter: In the feedline from the tanks to the pumps, an additional fine filter with mesh size 0.1mm (so 100 microns not 30 or 15…) has to be provided. The filter has to be controllable for service. A combination of filter/water-trap (gascolator) is recommended.

Sacha

[quote][b]

Alan Carter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel filter Reply with quote

That's OK Sacha.
Sometimes I think the more junk you put between the tank and the engine you are upping your odds of trouble, my engine has done about 450 hours without any fuel problems, I always refill using a filter at the tank cap.
However Andair do some nice fuel line components,
Just one thing of interest, when putting the rubber hose on any fuel line component, always use a rubber lubricant, as you may just dislodge a small piece of rubber that may end up blocking the carb jet, then EFATO.
So make sure all is clean.
Regards.
Alan

michaelrorth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

>EFATO
Everything F’d After That Occurs???
Michael

--

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: fuel filter Reply with quote

Thanks Alan for the tips. I'm all for keeping it simple: no filters or valves in the tanks, they are both directly connected to the header tank. One central fuel shutoff valve between the header tank and the fuel pumps.

One thing I did do the other day is clean out the fuel tanks (they're about 10 years old). It was quite a simple thing to do: stuck a 2m piece of garden hose in the tank with a hole two thirds the way down where I inserted the compressed air pistol pointed towards the outside. The Venturi effect sucked out all the petrol/gasoline but also quite a bit of muck... Looked like small bits of reddish plastic but I was told its normal fuel residue that builds up over the years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: