Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joining multiple wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjohnston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

I'm certain that I've seen this covered, but after searching, I can't find it. Sad

What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.

In my case, I've got four different lighting circuits (cabin, panel, annunicators and map light). I'm not sure if the best practice is them to be individually fused, but if something goes awry with one lighting circuit, it would be nice not to lose all the lights, right? Wink

But even if it's okay to put all the lights on the same fuse, I've got a couple other situations where I need to distribute a wire to two or three destinations.

So what's the best approach for doing this?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.

Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .

http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h
In my case, I've got four different lighting circuits (cabin, panel,
annunicators and map light). I'm not sure if the best practice is
them to be individually fused, but if something goes awry with one
lighting circuit, it would be nice not to lose all the lights, right? [Wink]

Yes, you've articulated the fundamental purpose
for a 'bus' and multiple feeders each enjoying
its own protection. The simple-idea is that such
bus/protection structures prevent catastrophic
damage to wires while keeping faults isolated
to one system. I.e. no single fault propagates across
to other systems.
But even if it's okay to put all the lights on the same fuse, I've
got a couple other situations where I need to distribute a wire to
two or three destinations.

So what's the best approach for doing this?

The mechanics are easy. The value of doing such
a thing is part of your failure mode effects
analysis (FMEA) for YOUR project and how you plan
to use it. If you carry a flashlight in the flight
bag along with your hand-held COMM and GPS radios,
then your FMEA says "Plan C is a considered path
to comfortable termination of flight . . . and ALL
your lighting can be on one fuse.

If the products of your deliberation are not quite
so relaxed, how about half your 'minimal lighting'
on one fuse, other half on second fuse? Maybe you
would find it useful to mount a couple of these guys

http://tinyurl.com/lyeaonf

in brackets on each side of panel as minimalist
flood lighting. Hooked in series and controlled with
a simple dimmer, you could power them from the
bus through a resistor that offers inherent protection
for wiring . . . i.e. no fuse needed. This unique set
of lights would be available if every fuse was popped!

The short answer to your question is: Joining multiple
feeders is easy. Deciding WHICH ones to join and evaluating
the risks during an FMEA takes a bit more thought . . .
something we can assist with but ultimately your
task alone . . .
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

donjohnston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.

Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .

http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h

As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply. If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing. I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.

If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?

-Don

Bob McC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Don;

Did you read to the very bottom of the page in the link??
The section called "practical example"??
It shows multiple wires originating from a single wire attached to a single
terminal which is, I think, what you're asking to do. (the single wire would
go to your single pin on VPX, the multiple wires to your multiple lights.)

Bob McC

[quote] --

Falco #908
(just starting)
donjohnston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

[quote="Bob McC"]Don;

Did you read to the very bottom of the page in the link??
The section called "practical example"??
It shows multiple wires originating from a single wire attached to a single
terminal which is, I think, what you're asking to do. (the single wire would
go to your single pin on VPX, the multiple wires to your multiple lights.)

Bob McC

Quote:
--

Yes, I did.

And I wrote:

"that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing (for 4 wires).

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
Quote:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>
> Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .
>
> http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h

As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply. If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing. I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.

If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?

-Don
For multiple non-critical low power items that you're going to power

from a single fuse, you can always just 'daisy chain' the supply wire.
One wire in the terminal at the VPX, then at the 1st load, insert the
power source wire and a 2nd wire in the terminal. Run that wire to the
2nd load, repeat. This assumes that the total of all loads is lower than
the capacity of the wire, which should be the case anyway if you're
putting them all on the same fuse. (Fuse should always be sized to
protect the smallest wire connected to it.)

Depending on the location of the loads, this can save a bit of wire (and
weight, if you obsess over weight).

Charlie

handainc(at)madisoncounty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

I guess I am a dumb cluck, but following this thread, I do NOT understand the problem, and I am a lurker trying to learn before I tackle my panel. From Bob's posting the very last display on his http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8hre reference shows a very elegant way to connect, by my count (8 wires) to a single one wire connector on a permanent basis. But this post from Don seems to take us back to the initial problem - not enough space in the original connector to the device for 7 or 8 wires? Am I correct? Why is that last display not a very elegant solution to that problem....what am I missing here? Or am I just stupid? One wire goes into the connector, just like it was designed. At some point in the run of that wire, where ever it is appropriate, then you execute the connection as Bob displayed, and the problem is solved. If not, what am I missing? I keep trying to follow along with these wiring discussions about the proper ways to make connections and route wiring, and I just get lost with the on and on discussion, because I MUST NOT understand the problem since I believe I saw a very elegant answer several posts before either by Bob or others on the group. I have just let it go as a fact that I am just stupid, but this discussion is a good example, and I would appreciate someone explaining to me what I am missing so I can finally alleviate my perpetual "stupidity" condition!

M. Haught
Quote:

On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
>
>
>
> nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
>> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
>> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>>
>> Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h
>
> As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply. If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing. I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.
>
> If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?
>
> -Don
For multiple non-critical low power items that you're going to power from a single fuse, you can always just 'daisy chain' the supply wire. One wire in the terminal at the VPX, then at the 1st load, insert the power source wire and a 2nd wire in the terminal. Run that wire to the 2nd load, repeat. This assumes that the total of all loads is lower than the capacity of the wire, which should be the case anyway if you're putting them all on the same fuse. (Fuse should always be sized to protect the smallest wire connected to it.)

Depending on the location of the loads, this can save a bit of wire (and weight, if you obsess over weight).

Charlie

livingjw(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

I saw what you saw. The last picture of Bob's post would solve the
problem. I suspect someone missed the last picture.

John

On 2/17/2014 2:05 PM, H. Marvin Haught wrote:
Quote:

I guess I am a dumb cluck, but following this thread, I do NOT understand the problem, and I am a lurker trying to learn before I tackle my panel. From Bob's posting the very last display on his http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8hre reference shows a very elegant way to connect, by my count (8 wires) to a single one wire connector on a permanent basis. But this post from Don seems to take us back to the initial problem - not enough space in the original connector to the device for 7 or 8 wires? Am I correct? Why is that last display not a very elegant solution to that problem....what am I missing here? Or am I just stupid? One wire goes into the connector, just like it was designed. At some point in the run of that wire, where ever it is appropriate, then you execute the connection as Bob displayed, and the problem is solved. If not, what am I missing? I keep trying to follow along with these wiring discussions about the proper ways to make connections and route wiring, and !
I just get lost with the on and on discussion, because I MUST NOT understand the problem since I believe I saw a very elegant answer several posts before either by Bob or others on the group. I have just let it go as a fact that I am just stupid, but this discussion is a good example, and I would appreciate someone explaining to me what I am missing so I can finally alleviate my perpetual "stupidity" condition!

M. Haught
>
>
> On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
>>> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
>>> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>>>
>>> Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h
>> As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply. If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing. I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.
>>
>> If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?
>>
>> -Don
> For multiple non-critical low power items that you're going to power from a single fuse, you can always just 'daisy chain' the supply wire. One wire in the terminal at the VPX, then at the 1st load, insert the power source wire and a 2nd wire in the terminal. Run that wire to the 2nd load, repeat. This assumes that the total of all loads is lower than the capacity of the wire, which should be the case anyway if you're putting them all on the same fuse. (Fuse should always be sized to protect the smallest wire connected to it.)
>
> Depending on the location of the loads, this can save a bit of wire (and weight, if you obsess over weight).
>
> Charlie
>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Okay, that isn't fair! You just made a basic reply but didn't help alleviate the "stupidity factor"!!! - Best practice is that last display for connection to a single wire connector? Multiple components driven by that wire makes that specific type of connection appropriate? Sorry, but I am trying to eliminate some confusion on my part!

M. Haught
On Feb 17, 2014, at 1:47 PM, John W Livingston wrote:

Quote:

I saw what you saw. The last picture of Bob's post would solve the problem. I suspect someone missed the last picture.

John

On 2/17/2014 2:05 PM, H. Marvin Haught wrote:
>
>
> I guess I am a dumb cluck, but following this thread, I do NOT understand the problem, and I am a lurker trying to learn before I tackle my panel. From Bob's posting the very last display on his http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8hre reference shows a very elegant way to connect, by my count (8 wires) to a single one wire connector on a permanent basis. But this post from Don seems to take us back to the initial problem - not enough space in the original connector to the device for 7 or 8 wires? Am I correct? Why is that last display not a very elegant solution to that problem....what am I missing here? Or am I just stupid? One wire goes into the connector, just like it was designed. At some point in the run of that wire, where ever it is appropriate, then you execute the connection as Bob displayed, and the problem is solved. If not, what am I missing? I keep trying to follow along with these wiring discussions about the proper ways to make connections and route wiring, an!
d !
> I just get lost with the on and on discussion, because I MUST NOT understand the problem since I believe I saw a very elegant answer several posts before either by Bob or others on the group. I have just let it go as a fact that I am just stupid, but this discussion is a good example, and I would appreciate someone explaining to me what I am missing so I can finally alleviate my perpetual "stupidity" condition!
>
> M. Haught
>>
>>
>> On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
>>>> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
>>>> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>>>>
>>>> Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .
>>>>
>>>> http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h
>>> As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply. If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing. I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.
>>>
>>> If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?
>>>
>>> -Don
>> For multiple non-critical low power items that you're going to power from a single fuse, you can always just 'daisy chain' the supply wire. One wire in the terminal at the VPX, then at the 1st load, insert the power source wire and a 2nd wire in the terminal. Run that wire to the 2nd load, repeat. This assumes that the total of all loads is lower than the capacity of the wire, which should be the case anyway if you're putting them all on the same fuse. (Fuse should always be sized to protect the smallest wire connected to it.)
>>
>> Depending on the location of the loads, this can save a bit of wire (and weight, if you obsess over weight).
>>
>> Charlie
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Bob McC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Don;

The last picture in the post (the "practical example")has ONE wire going to
ONE pin, just as designed. How do you feel the need to get 4 wires into the
housing??? I must be missing something in your question.

Bob McC

[quote] --

Falco #908
(just starting)
Bob McC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Marvin;

Yes. The last picture under "practical example" is one way to connect
multiple wires to a single source when space within the connector may be an
issue. It allows for a single wire into the connector, just as it was
designed for and is an acceptable way to take that single wire to multiple
devices. (assuming the fusing of that single source is properly protecting
the SMALLEST wire attached downstream of it)

Bob McC

[quote] --

Falco #908
(just starting)
rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Marvin, There seems to be a lot of hand wringing and trying to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory on this list lately. You believe you have been pointed to an elegant solution to an aspect of the architecture you are crafting. If you cannot find an adequate reason to abandon that solution, don't. As my dear departed Grandmother would have said, "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water".

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM, H. Marvin Haught <handainc(at)madisoncounty.net (handainc(at)madisoncounty.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "H. Marvin Haught" <handainc(at)madisoncounty.net (handainc(at)madisoncounty.net)>

Okay, that isn't fair!  You just made a basic reply but didn't help alleviate the "stupidity factor"!!!   - Best practice is that last display for connection to a single wire connector?  Multiple components driven by that wire makes that specific type of connection appropriate?  Sorry, but I am trying to eliminate some confusion on my part!

M. Haught

> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: John W Livingston <livingjw(at)earthlink.net (livingjw(at)earthlink.net)>
>
> I saw what you saw. The last picture of Bob's post would solve the problem. I suspect someone missed the last picture.
>
> John
>
> On 2/17/2014 2:05 PM, H. Marvin Haught wrote:
>> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "H. Marvin Haught" <handainc(at)madisoncounty.net (handainc(at)madisoncounty.net)>
>>

Quote:
> I guess I am a dumb cluck, but following this thread, I do NOT understand the problem, and I am a lurker trying to learn before I tackle my panel.  From Bob's posting the very last display on his  http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8hre reference shows a very elegant way to connect, by my count (8 wires) to a single one wire connector on a permanent basis.  But this post from Don seems to take us back to the initial problem - not enough space in the original connector to the device for 7 or 8 wires?  Am I correct?  Why is that last display not a very elegant solution to that problem....what am I missing here?  Or am I just stupid? One wire goes into the connector, just like it was designed.  At some point in the run of that wire, where ever it is appropriate, then you execute the connection as Bob displayed, and the problem is solved.  If not, what am I missing?  I keep trying to follow along with these wiring discussions about the proper ways to make connections and route wiring, a!
 n!

> d !
>>  I just get lost with the on and on discussion, because  I MUST NOT understand the problem since I believe I saw a very elegant answer several posts before either by Bob or others on the group.  I have just let it go as a fact that I am just stupid, but this discussion is a good example, and I would appreciate someone explaining to me what I am missing so I can finally alleviate my perpetual "stupidity" condition!
>>
>> M. Haught
>>> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>
>>>
>>> On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
>>>> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com (don(at)velocity-xl.com)>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
>>>>> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
>>>>> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>>>>>
>>>>>    Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . . .
>>>>>
>>>>>    http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8h
>>>> As I read this, my interpretation is that the answer is to join the multiple wires at the supply.  If that's correct, that could be a problem since the supply is a pin on a VPX and there may not be space in the connector housing.  I'm not certain because I haven't thought about doing it like this.
>>>>
>>>> If this solution won't work, are there any other methods for distributing a single wire to multiple destinations?
>>>>
>>>> -Don
>>> For multiple non-critical low power items that you're going to power from a single fuse, you can always just 'daisy chain' the supply wire. One wire in the terminal at the VPX, then at the 1st load, insert the power source wire and a 2nd wire in the terminal. Run that wire to the 2nd load, repeat. This assumes that the total of all loads is lower than the capacity of the wire, which should be the case anyway if you're putting them all on the same fuse.  (Fuse should always be sized to protect the smallest wire connected to it.)
>>>
>>> Depending on the location of the loads, this can save a bit of wire (and weight, if you obsess over weight).
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

LOL! Okay, so if it looks like a baby, it likely IS a baby?!!! Good! Maybe I will survive this wiring project! I can do about anything with my hands, and have learned a lot of stuff over the years. Plumbing, I cannot do....I can mess up more in 30 minutes that a good plumber can fix in a hard day! I can do intricate machine work, compound metal work, carpentry, cabinetry, welding, electrical, etc. But plumbing is my waterloo....was about to decide that I could add aviation electrical to that "can't do" list!

Thanks

M. Haught
On Feb 17, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

[quote] Marvin, There seems to be a lot of hand wringing and trying to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory on this list lately. You believe you have been pointed to an elegant solution to an aspect of the architecture you are crafting. If you cannot find an adequate reason to abandon that solution, don't. As my dear departed Grandmother would have said, "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water".

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM, H. Marvin Haught <handainc(at)madisoncounty.net> wrote:

Okay, that isn't fair! You just made a basic reply but didn't help alleviate the "stupidity factor"!!! - Best practice is that last display for connection to a single wire connector? Multiple components driven by that wire makes that specific type of connection appropriate? Sorry, but I am trying to eliminate some confusion on my part!

M. Haught

>
>
> I saw what you saw. The last picture of Bob's post would solve the problem. I suspect someone missed the last picture.
>
> John
>
> On 2/17/2014 2:05 PM, H. Marvin Haught wrote:
>>
>>
>> I guess I am a dumb cluck, but following this thread, I do NOT understand the problem, and I am a lurker trying to learn before I tackle my panel. From Bob's posting the very last display on his http://tinyurl.com/l67uj8hre reference shows a very elegant way to connect, by my count (8 wires) to a single one wire connector on a permanent basis. But this post from Don seems to take us back to the initial problem - not enough space in the original connector to the device for 7 or 8 wires? Am I correct? Why is that last display not a very elegant solution to that problem....what am I missing here? Or am I just stupid? One wire goes into the connector, just like it was designed. At some point in the run of that wire, where ever it is appropriate, then you execute the connection as Bob displayed, and the problem is solved. If not, what am I missing? I keep trying to follow along with these wiring discussions about the proper ways to make connections and route wiring, a!
n!
> d !
>> I just get lost with the on and on discussion, because I MUST NOT understand the problem since I believe I saw a very elegant answer several posts before either by Bob or others on the group. I have just let it go as a fact that I am just stupid, but this discussion is a good example, and I would appreciate someone explaining to me what I am missing so I can finally alleviate my perpetual "stupidity" condition!
>>
>> M. Haught
>>>
>>>
>>> On 2/17/2014 10:21 AM, donjohnston wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
>>>>> What's the preferred method for taking a single supply to multiple
>>>>> destinations? Specifically, a fuse block with individual tabs for each fuse.
>>>>>
>>>>> Here's a couple suggestions on the mechanics of the task . .

donjohnston

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

[quote="Bob McC"]Don;

Bob McC

Quote:
--

Bob,

My apologies. I didn't see the very bottom image. I followed the sequence and saw the multiple wires to a single ring terminal and figured that was the end of the post.

-Don

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Bob McC - For some reason, your last post did not come through on my email, and I found it on the aeroelectric site. Thank you for the affirmation - and you brought out a point that I have been missing....fusing is to protect the SMALLEST wire in the downstream. Could you provide a practical example?

Also, Bob, did you ever get the new edition of the manual completed? Is it available? If so, I would like to make an order.

M. Haught

Marvin;

Bob McC

[quote] --

On Feb 17, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Bob McCallum wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bob McCallum <robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca (robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca)>

Don;

Bob McC

[quote]--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

At 08:51 AM 2/18/2014, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob McC - For some reason, your last post did not come through on my email, and I found it on the aeroelectric site. Thank you for the affirmation - and you brought out a point that I have been missing....fusing is to protect the SMALLEST wire in the downstream. Could you provide a practical example?

Also, Bob, did you ever get the new edition of the manual completed? Is it available? If so, I would like to make an order.

No, that's some time off yet. I'm having to shoe-horn
it into a single word processing application and
completely review all past words and illustrations.

Rev 12 will be with us for a bit yet . . .

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Okay, where do I order Rev 12?

M. Haught
On Feb 18, 2014, at 9:16 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
[quote] At 08:51 AM 2/18/2014, you wrote:
Quote:

No, that's some time off yet. I'm having to shoe-horn
it into a single word processing application and
completely review all past words and illustrations.

Rev 12 will be with us for a bit yet . . .

Bob . . .
Quote:

[b]

Bob McC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Joining multiple wires Reply with quote

Marvin;

Lets use Ron's example of several lighting circuits off of one fuse. Pretend he chooses to use 18 gauge wire to run out to some "ice" lights at the ends of the wings and from the same fuse uses 22gauge wires to bring power to some overhead panel flood lights and some 20 gauge wire leading to a map light. The fuse installed would have to be sized to protect the 22gauge wire. The SMALLEST wire downstream of the fuse. You wouldn't want to size the fuse for the 18 gauge wire because a short on the 22 gauge might melt the wire before the fuse blew. A very bad idea. Also keep in mind that the fuse and thus SMALLEST wire must be capable of carrying the TOTAL load of ALL items attached to that one fuse. (Even though the loads have their own individual wires and all the load isn't actually carried on the smallest wire. Remember the fuse protects the wire, nothing else.)

Bob McC

Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Re: Joining multiple wires
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 08:51:10 -0600
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

Bob McC - For some reason, your last post did not come through on my email, and I found it on the aeroelectric site.  Thank you for the affirmation - and you brought out a point that I have been missing....fusing is to protect the SMALLEST wire in the downstream.  Could you provide a practical example?  

Also, Bob, did you ever get the new edition of the manual completed?  Is it available?  If so, I would like to make an order.  

M. Haught 

Marvin;

Bob McC

[quote] --

On Feb 17, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Bob McCallum wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bob McCallum <robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca (robert.mccallum2(at)sympatico.ca)>

Don;

Bob McC

[quote]--

Falco #908
(just starting)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: