Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCB Mfg board house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user9253

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

I recently designed a circuit board using Cadsoft Eagle. The program is not intuitive and requires reading the directions or watching YouTube tutorials. Even after learning the program, if not used regularly, it is soon forgotten and requires watching the tutorial over again. I could have saved many hours by using ExpressPCB which is very easy to learn. But I wanted to be able to use a more competitive PCB board house. I sent my design to Elecrow in Hong Kong and they made 5 boards 10 x 10 cm for $23 delivered. The boards are beautiful and exactly like I ordered, including my mistakes. Smile The only disadvantage is that it took a whole month from the time I ordered the boards until they arrived in the mail.
Joe

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

edpav8r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

Joe,

I agree with you re ExpressPCB, PCB123, and similar services. Their software isn't anywhere near as competent as a commercial CAD package, your files are locked into a format that's not portable, and you can only order boards from their overpriced fab service.

I tried Eagle some years ago and found its interface impenetrable. I switched to DipTrace and have never looked back. I found it much easier and more intuitive to learn.

Take the time to set up the design rules for your board fab in DipTrace, and turn on real-time Design Rules Checking. It will instantly show you if trace spacing is too close, you have unconnected or cross-connected nets, etc. This reduces board errors to zero (unless your source schematic contains errors, of course).

Click "Buy" then "Non-Profit" to get a free license. The site also has a nice video guided tour and PDF tutorial document.

http://www.diptrace.com/

For prototype or small run PCBs, I use OSH Park. They charge $5 per square inch for three copies of your board, made in the USA, with free USPS First Class Mail shipping. I've put dozens of orders through their system and been very pleased. I had one order a year or so ago that had a manufacturing error in one of the three boards, but they emailed to notify me before the boards even arrived. It made no difference, as I only needed one board. The only time I use a Chinese fab is if I need 2-ounce copper, which is very costly from domestic fabs.

If you continue using Eagle, you can just upload your .BRD file to OSH Park. With any other CAD package, you just upload a .ZIP containing your Gerber files. The website shows you a rendering of what your board will look like, then you can order. It's a very slick system. Boards typically arrive in less than two weeks.

http://www.oshpark.com/

If you do surface mount designs and want to simplify assembly by using a solder paste stencil, you can get them for very reasonable prices at OSH Stencils. Like OSH Park, you just upload a .ZIP containing your board outline and top paste Gerbers, and the site shows you a picture of your stencil before you order. My last order for two stencils was produced the day after I ordered and arrived in about four days.

http://www.oshstencils.com/

Eric
On Feb 18, 2014, at 8:51 PM, "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
I recently designed a circuit board using Cadsoft Eagle. The program is not intuitive and requires reading the directions or watching YouTube tutorials. Even after learning the program, if not used regularly, it is soon forgotten and requires watching the tutorial over again. I could have saved many hours by using ExpressPCB which is very easy to learn. But I wanted to be able to use a more competitive PCB board house. I sent my design to Elecrow in Hong Kong and they made 5 boards 10 x 10 cm for $23 delivered. The boards are beautiful and exactly like I ordered, including my mistakes. Smile The only disadvantage is that it took a whole month from the time I ordered the boards until they arrived in the mail.

--------
Joe Gores

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

Eric,
Thanks for that information.
Joe

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

My two cents:

Eagle is a great program compared to many PCB design programs. It comes in several versions. It would be my first choice for boards that need autorouting. It's probably worth reviewing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAGLE_(program)

I use www.ExpressPCB.com exclusively now, since my PCBs are the size of postage stamps. Their great advantages are:

1) Lightning fast delivery. I can finish a design Tuesday am and get the PCBs Friday am.
2) Stunning easy to learn. The learning curve is a "One Cup of Coffee to Expert" experience.
3) Schematic Capture and Layout modules are FREE.

And yes, they will send you the Gerbers for a reasonable charge after your first order (I think).

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

At 09:07 AM 2/19/2014, you wrote:
Quote:

My two cents:
I use www.ExpressPCB.com exclusively now, since my PCBs are the size

of postage stamps. Their great advantages are:

1) Lightning fast delivery. I can finish a design Tuesday am and get
the PCBs Friday am.
2) Stunning easy to learn. The learning curve is a "One Cup of Coffee
to Expert" experience.
3) Schematic Capture and Layout modules are FREE.

I will echo Eric's sentiments. For the kinds of things
I do, time is often of the essence. I submitted an order
for proof of concept boards to Exp-PCB yesterday morning,
will have boards tomorrow morning and assembled samples
in my customer's hands Friday morning (or even late
tomorrow night if they so wish) . . . even tho I live
in cow-town KS . . .

The software is stunningly easy to learn, custom
components easily crafted, turn-around times difficult
to better. Their software also spits out .dxf files
of the board with holes and parts locations so that
creating an assembly drawing in any dxf friendly
cad program is greatly assisted.

Had one customer voice some amazement that holes
in the board I provided "lined up exactly" with
CAD/CNC holes in his target assembly. Don't know
where his previous disappointments came from but
the transitions from Exp-PCB -> cad -> g-code ->
aluminum are in solid lock-step with each other.

When you're charging my exorbitant fees for $time$,
the external costs for materials and services are
relatively insignificant. Most customers are interested
in shortest path to workable solutions. I think there
may be some services on a par with Exp-PCB but I've
used Exp-PCB for many years with no note-worthy
incentives to change.

Bob . . .

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: PCB Mfg board house Reply with quote

On 2/19/2014 10:24 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)

At 09:07 AM 2/19/2014, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net> (emjones(at)charter.net)

My two cents:
I use www.ExpressPCB.com exclusively now, since my PCBs are the size of postage stamps. Their great advantages are:

2) Stunning easy to learn. The learning curve is a "One Cup of Coffee to Expert" experience.

The software is stunningly easy to learn, custom
components easily crafted, turn-around times difficult
to better.
On a somewhat unrelated note, the ExpressSCH software (free) is an excellent tool for documenting aircraft electrical diagrams if one does not already have skills with an appropriate drawing tool. Though intended for use in designing custom circuit boards, it adapts well to the task of drawing electrical diagrams for your project. Since it 'knows' circuits, it works in a way that is compatible with generalized electrical diagram documentation. Not as good as Autocad/Turbocad but much easier to learn for this simple task. I can pick it up after 6 months to make a change and am able to use it without relearning anything. As Bob said above, "Stunning easy to learn". Great for 'one time use'.

Thanks to whoever originally suggested this.

Here's my Z-14 drawn using ExpressSCH
Z-14 for RV10

(ExpressSCH is one of the two components of the ExpressPCB package. You only need the ExpressSCH to draw diagrams for your aircraft.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: