Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

See and be seen fallacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user9253

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: See and be seen fallacy Reply with quote

Here is a quote from August 1996 Plane & Pilot, , page 52: "Information Gets Airborne", CDTI Test Flight.
Quote:
The test lasted for about an l.5 hours and, in every instance, the Baron's PPI picked up the intruders and gave us ample warning of the potential collision course. At deliberate head on closing speeds of 280 knots (almost five miles a minute) we had nearly two minutes of warning of a threat in the area.
Despite knowing the relative altitude, distance and bearing of the threat aircraft and all three of us staring intently at that section of sky as soon as we spotted the blip, none of us ever acquired a target visually outside one mile range. We did perhaps 20 to 25 intercepts during the test, and I was surprised that we couldn't see the threats until they were very close.
In short, there's little question CDTI works. Problem is, if you buy CDTI, know there's an airplane out there and have its range, altitude and bearing, will you see it in time?
The premise that collisions can be avoided by seeing other aircraft is based on slow airspeeds of early aircraft. At the closure rate in the above example, two pilots have 13 seconds to see each other, recognize a danger, and take evasive action. And it takes the aircraft time to change course. How many pilots just happen to be looking in the direction of another aircraft when it gets within one mile? Pilots look at charts or a glass panel or at scenery on the ground for several seconds at a time. If the pilot happens to look in the direction of another aircraft, how many of those 13 seconds are left, if any? Strobes and ATC traffic advisories can help but can not be depended on. ADS-B is the best tool we have for avoiding collisions. And that could be improved by adding voice commands such as, "Danger Traffic, climb and turn right immediately !"
I am not suggesting that we stop looking out the window. But doing so will not necessarily avoid a collision with another aircraft headed our way.
If the EAA or AOPA or FAA conducted a similar traffic avoidance test to the one above using modern avionics, it might lead to improved safety.
Joe

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: See and be seen fallacy Reply with quote

Quote:
The premise that collisions can be avoided by seeing other
aircraft is based on slow airspeeds of early aircraft. At the
closure rate in the above example, two pilots have 13 seconds to
see each other, recognize a danger, and take evasive action. And
it takes the aircraft time to change course. How many pilots just
happen to be looking in the direction of another aircraft when it
gets within one mile?

Exactly. About 15 years ago I participated in an ad hoc
gathering of techno-wennies, pilots and operators who
sifted through a host of simple ideas for collision
avoidance for exploiting then existing technologies. We met
at the EAA museum in OSH one January weekend that was
about as cold as I've ever experienced! I was amazed that
my travel companion's car even started the morning we
left for home . . . I think it was about 15 below that
morning.

In two days, we crafted a recommendation that
a host of objects of interest to pilots could be
'tagged' with a simple beacon that says, "Here I am! My
position is (LAT,LON), my speed over ground is (GS), my
course is (DEG), my height is (ALT) and my threat category
is (A thru H for fixed, drifting balloon, air recreational vehicle,
light plane, high performance, small air transport,
medium air transport, heavy air transport).

The data would be a simple squitter stream with a repetition
rate proportional to ground speed. The faster you're moving,
the greater your update rate.

Beacons could be fitted to mountain tops, towers, buildings,
airport obstructions, and all manner of flying machine.
The beacon would be independent of any receiver and associated
interpreter of data. It would be cheap and easy to install
beacons that could also serve as crash locators. The major
difference between beacons and locators being that the
beacons ran all the time.

Any owner/operator interested in utilizing this data would
add a receiver/interpreter that could supply all manner
of warning either aurally or visually. The data stream is
open source so any number of end users could exploit the
data for incorporation into their panel mounted offering.

That was a satisfying experience and a great study in
spontaneous organization. That little brain trust of about
20 folks produced what I believed was an exceedingly elegant
solution to a very difficult problem . . . how to make a
huge constellation of solid objects with closure speeds
of 10-400 MPH aware of each other irrespective of external
visual conditions . . . and supply quality data that
goes to reduction of risk for collision. It was a 'talk
and be heard philosophy'.

The white paper produced from that meeting was shared with
a number of 'high ranking' interests in aviation safety . . .
but the best we got out of it was clumsy enhancements to existing
monopolies . . . no opportunity for creative exploitation
of an open source technology.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ralphmariafinch(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: See and be seen fallacy Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me. Haven't we all had the experience of hearing a
pilot call their position in the pattern, and us looking and looking
and not seeing them, until several seconds later?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:21 AM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Here is a quote from August 1996 Plane & Pilot, , page 52: "Information Gets Airborne", CDTI Test Flight.

> The test lasted for about an l.5 hours and, in every instance, the Baron's PPI picked up the intruders and gave us ample warning of the potential collision course. At deliberate head on closing speeds of 280 knots (almost five miles a minute) we had nearly two minutes of warning of a threat in the area.
> Despite knowing the relative altitude, distance and bearing of the threat aircraft and all three of us staring intently at that section of sky as soon as we spotted the blip, none of us ever acquired a target visually outside one mile range. We did perhaps 20 to 25 intercepts during the test, and I was surprised that we couldn't see the threats until they were very close.
> In short, there's little question CDTI works. Problem is, if you buy CDTI, know there's an airplane out there and have its range, altitude and bearing, will you see it in time?
>
The premise that collisions can be avoided by seeing other aircraft is based on slow airspeeds of early aircraft. At the closure rate in the above example, two pilots have 13 seconds to see each other, recognize a danger, and take evasive action. And it takes the aircraft time to change course. How many pilots just happen to be looking in the direction of another aircraft when it gets within one mile? Pilots look at charts or a glass panel or at scenery on the ground for several seconds at a time. If the pilot happens to look in the direction of another aircraft, how many of those 13 seconds are left, if any? Strobes and ATC traffic advisories can help but can not be depended on. ADS-B is the best tool we have for avoiding collisions. And that could be improved by adding voice commands such as, "Danger Traffic, climb and turn right immediately !"
I am not suggesting that we stop looking out the window. But doing so will not necessarily avoid a collision with another aircraft headed our way.
If the EAA or AOPA or FAA conducted a similar traffic avoidance test to the one above using modern avionics, it might lead to improved safety.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=420139#420139

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: See and be seen fallacy Reply with quote

Quote:

The white paper produced from that meeting was shared with
a number of 'high ranking' interests in aviation safety . . .
but the best we got out of it was clumsy enhancements to existing
monopolies . . . no opportunity for creative exploitation
of an open source technology.

The "I didn't design it therefore it is of no value" philosophy

Roger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: