Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flap Construction Problem Solved!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zackrv8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Flap Construction Problem Solved! Reply with quote

Ok Guys,

As you already know, I had rigging problems with my flaps (both of them). When I installed them on the wings, they were warped and extended below the bottom wing skin. Here's how I solved that problem with a brand new set of Flaps that I just built....and they came out perfect!

I built these new flaps according to plans up to and including riveting the top skin on. Then, I took the structure and pinned it on the wing at the 3 attach points.

I then clecoed on the bottom flap skin and epoxied (or pro-seal if you wish) the trailing edge on with a long straight edge (see Pic #1). By doing this, you are assured 100% to be lined up with the aileron and everything in rig.

I then squeezed one rivet on each flap brace brace to keep the hinge alignment. (see next picture).

After the 3M 2216 Epoxy sets up (one day), I pop-riveted the remaining bottom rivets on the flap. I then removed the flap and cleaned up the epoxy from the trailing edge holes (just as you would do with pro-seal).

I then riveted on the trailing edge rivets to the flap, but here's the best part.....I squeezed them on. I don't know why I never tried this in the first place, maybe because Vans tells you to do it one way. But, that's the neat thing about building planes. There are many ways of doing it.

My brother made me up a wide rivet set (about the diameter of a quarter). I then ground the angle into it that represents the trailing edge angle (see next picture). Guys, I have to tell you... this is the best thing since sliced bread! I only wish I had thought of it earlier when doing the other trailing edges. And the neat part is that you don't beat up the skin with a rivet gun!

For those of you who haven't built your flaps yet, try my method. It works!!! Rigging is perfect because you align it with the wing and aileron while the epoxy/proseal is drying. And the best part, squeezing the rivets which eliminates all the possible warping you may get from back riveting.

If you don't have a wide rivet set that you can grind down, let me know and I'll see if my nephew Dave can make some sets up. It's important to have a wide set because on your intial squeeze, the rivet meets the flat part of the set. The final squeeze, the angled part of the set meets the rivet. I used a small Tatco flat C-frame for this. You can probably use another type set but need a flat on one side and the angle set on the other.

Zack

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

DSC05155.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.4 KB
 Viewed:  216 Time(s)

DSC05155.JPG

DSC05145.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.16 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)

DSC05145.JPG

DSC05131.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.08 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

DSC05131.JPG

DSC05136.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.58 KB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

DSC05136.JPG

DSC05137.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.27 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

DSC05137.JPG

DSC05138.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.84 KB
 Viewed:  209 Time(s)

DSC05138.JPG

RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
Vern(at)teclabsinc.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Flap Construction Problem Solved! Reply with quote

Hi Zack,

It's good to hear you solved the problem!

I used a similar technique on the trailing edges and am convinced hand
squeezing is the way to go.
Great Job,

Vern

Do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: