Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KX165 transmit light stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radioflyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: KX165 transmit light stuck Reply with quote

I've been troubleshooting my intercom system and radio operation and eventually found one of the mic jacks had tangs that were bent and touching. After unbending the tangs, the intercom system worked, but the radio seems to be stuck on transmit. I pulled the radio out of the plane, isolated from all associated devices, powered it up and the "T" light is constantly on.

So, it's a radio problem. The radio is actually putting out a weak signal, but no voice. However, if I activate the PTT switch, it will transmit clearly. Nevertheless, can't receive because the T stays on. Could the shorted mic input have caused this fault? Can anyone give some advise on how to remedy, besides going straight to the avionics shop?
--Jose
Ps-I've pulled the manuals Bob N. No clues, yet.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: KX165 transmit light stuck Reply with quote

At 11:10 AM 8/21/2014, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Radioflyer" <skyeyecorp(at)airpost.net>

I've been troubleshooting my intercom system and radio operation and eventually found one of the mic jacks had tangs that were bent and touching. After unbending the tangs, the intercom system worked, but the radio seems to be stuck on transmit. I pulled the radio out of the plane, isolated from all associated devices, powered it up and the "T" light is constantly on.

So, it's a radio problem. The radio is actually putting out a weak signal, but no voice. However, if I activate the PTT switch, it will transmit clearly. Nevertheless, can't receive because the T stays on. Could the shorted mic input have caused this fault? Can anyone give some advise on how to remedy, besides going straight to the avionics shop?
--Jose
Ps-I've pulled the manuals Bob N. No clues, yet.

Doesn't sound good. In the service manual, Figure 6-8
sheet 5 of 11 we find this excerpt of the PTT input
circuit . . .

[img]cid:.0[/img]
It seems likely that your difficulty lies in or somewhere close
to either side of this bit of circuitry.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

5a672b5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.91 KB
 Viewed:  2926 Time(s)

5a672b5.jpg

Radioflyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KX165 transmit light stuck Reply with quote

Hmmm. I was about to look more deeply into the circuitry when frustration truly hit (the radio). Hit it with a bigger hammer, as they say. Well thinking there might be a relay somewhere in the unit, I gave it a sharp tap and the the T went away! Now, I can receive. The T does come back on only when the mic is keyed, as it should. Have to still test for actual voice transmission, but so far all looks good. Funny, though that the mic key circuit has no relays, though.
--Jose

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: KX165 transmit light stuck Reply with quote

At 05:26 PM 8/21/2014, you wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm. I was about to look more deeply into the circuitry when
frustration truly hit (the radio). Hit it with a bigger hammer, as
they say. Well thinking there might be a relay somewhere in the
unit, I gave it a sharp tap and the the T went away! Now, I can
receive. The T does come back on only when the mic is keyed, as it
should. Have to still test for actual voice transmission, but so far
all looks good. Funny, though that the mic key circuit has no relays, though.
--Jose

Yup, that went all solid state a few years back.

It's a whole new ball game . . .

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: