Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad overvoltage module?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erich.weaver(at)urs.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

I have a Z-13/8 electrical system on my RV-7A. While finishing up a remodel of my panel, I tested my new switches and found that when I turned on the backup PM alternator with engine off, my 5 amp circuit breaker instantly tripped. Checked the switch and traced out my wiring and both seem fine, so I now suspect that either the crowbar over-voltage module or the associated S8005-1 relay from B&C is bad. I removed the over-voltage module and my multimeter indicates continuity between the two wires. Im thinking that should only occur when there is an over-voltage event, so my module must be bad, letting the current bypass the relay altogether and tripping my breaker. Am I thinking this through correctly?

Thanks

erich

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies. [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

Sounds like a good diagnosis to me Erich.
Especially if the circuit breaker does not trip with the module
disconnected.
Ken

On 08/12/2014 4:59 PM, Weaver, Erich wrote:
Quote:

I have a Z-13/8 electrical system on my RV-7A. While finishing up a
remodel of my panel, I tested my new switches and found that when I
turned on the backup PM alternator with engine off, my 5 amp circuit
breaker instantly tripped. Checked the switch and traced out my
wiring and both seem fine, so I now suspect that either the crowbar
over-voltage module or the associated S8005-1 relay from B&C is bad.
I removed the over-voltage module and my multimeter indicates
continuity between the two wires. Im thinking that should only occur
when there is an over-voltage event, so my module must be bad, letting
the current bypass the relay altogether and tripping my breaker. Am I
thinking this through correctly?

Thanks

erich

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

At 15:59 2014-12-08, you wrote:
Quote:
over-voltage module or the associated S8005-1 relay from B&C is
bad. I removed the over-voltage module and my multimeter indicates
continuity between the two wires. Im thinking that should only
occur when there is an over-voltage event, so my module must be bad,
letting the current bypass the relay altogether and tripping my
breaker. Am I thinking this through correctly?

Sounds right. Did you get it from B&C or from me?
Doesn't matter. Drop it to me in an envelope and
I'll repair/replace it as appropriate.

Bob . . .

erich.weaver(at)urs.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

Quote:

Bob . . .

Thanks guys. It came from B&C and I went ahead and ordered a replacement from them. Who knows when it went bad – haven’t had a need to switch on the back up alternator.

I noticed on a OVM doc available on the Aeroelectric Connection website a recommendation that the OVM be checked every year as part of the annual inspection. Im wondering if I shouldn’t just remove the OVM entirely. I should be notified if my voltage starts climbing from my EIS/EFIS warning lights and be able to manually turn off a faulty alternator anyway. Bad idea?

Erich

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies. [quote][b]

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

I'd vote for bad idea! You might browse through Chapter 6 of the AEC again

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks guys. It came from B&C and I went ahead and ordered a replacement from them. Who knows when it went bad – haven’t had a need to switch on the back up alternator.

I'd still like to get the bad one even if
you don't want it back.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

On 12/9/2014 3:18 PM, Weaver, Erich wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Quote:

Bob . . .

I noticed on a OVM doc available on the Aeroelectric Connection website a recommendation that the OVM be checked every year as part of the annual inspection. Im wondering if I shouldn’t just remove the OVM entirely. I should be notified if my voltage starts climbing from my EIS/EFIS warning lights and be able to manually turn off a faulty alternator anyway. Bad idea?

Erich

Only snag with that plan is if the failure happens while the pilot is in a high-workload situation. If the pilot doesn't react quickly enough, he could lose all the avionics to overvoltage just when he needs them most.
[quote][b]

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

In AEC v12, page 6-7, Bob explains that the Crowbar OV module is designed to work on a 5 millisecond interval.  I don't think it matters much what the pilot's workload is, he or she is not going to beat 5 milliseconds!  Also on that page and the page before, he writes about how the method that the crowbar system uses to disconnect the circuit is special, so that it doesn't break an inductive circuit.  It's a really good chapter that makes the case for why the Crowbar OVM is important.  I would copy and paste it, but in version 12, those pages are optically scanned.

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

I agree with others that not having over-voltage protection is a bad idea. High voltage can damage expensive avionics in much less time than a human can react to shut it off.

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

Quote:
when I turned on the backup PM alternator with engine off, my 5 amp circuit breaker instantly tripped.

With the over-voltage module removed from the circuit, does the relay energize (click) when the aux alt switch is turned on? And does the circuit breaker not trip? If both true, then the fault must be the O.V. module.
Joe

ChasB(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

I noted the recommendation that the OVM be checked annually. I have not done that in the nearly eight years my RV has been flying. Nor has the OVM ever shut down the alternator. Nor have I had any voltage surge that damaged anything. Just lucky?

What is the best (easiest) method to check the OVM operation?

Charlie Brame
RV-6A N11CB
San Antonio

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bad overvoltage module? Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the best (easiest) method to check the OVM operation?

Page 1 of his document http://www.aeroelectric.com/DIY/DIY_Crowbar_OVP_F.pdf
shows how to test an over-voltage module. The best way is on a workbench using an adjustable DC power supply. The easy way is in the aircraft using alligator clips and a battery. Bob says to use a 6 volt lantern battery, but 4 D cells in series might work too. Notice that the negative alligator clip is attached to the aircraft power bus. I recommend that all avionics and any polarity sensitive devices be shut off prior to doing this test.
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: