Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power stabilizer wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erich.weaver(at)urs.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

Rather than a standby battery I am installing a 4 amp rated 'Intelligent Power Stabilizer' on my z-13/8 wired RV for brownout protection to one of my two EFIS screens during startup. The EFIS draws 1 amp. The manual says to install a 12 amp fuse on the power inlet to the IPS unit and a second 5 amp inline fuse on the wire providing power from the IPS to the secondary power inlet on the EFIS. First question: the 12 amp fuse can just be on my main bus so no hassle there but i would rather not have the 5 amp inline fuse buried behind the subpanel with the IPS if its not absolutely necessary. Do I definitely need both fuses for adequate protection?

Second question: Any reason the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS rather than as backup? If I wired the IPS to the ebus I have the backup alternator I can use should the primary fail. Maybe the IPS is not intended for full time operation or perhaps it draws more current than practical for the ebus?

Thanks
Erich
This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

Eric wrote:
Second question: Any reason the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS rather than as backup? ...
If the IPS is the sole source of power & it fails

then it takes-out your efis. Any component you
add to the critical path decreases reliability.

If you wire it as you described, then it helps

w/ brownout and if it fails it's no big deal.
-Jeff

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:42 PM, "Weaver, Erich" <erich.weaver(at)urs.com> wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Weaver, Erich" <erich.weaver(at)urs.com (erich.weaver(at)urs.com)>Rather than a standby battery I am installing a 4 amp rated 'Intelligent Power Stabilizer' on my z-13/8 wired RV for brownout protection to one of my two EFIS screens during startup. The EFIS draws 1 amp. The manual says to install a 12 amp fuse on the power inlet to the IPS unit and a second 5 amp inline fuse on the wire providing power from the IPS to the secondary power inlet on the EFIS. First question: the 12 amp fuse can just be on my main bus so no hassle there but i would rather not have the 5 amp inline fuse buried behind the subpanel with the IPS if its not absolutely necessary. Do I definitely need both fuses for adequate protection?Second question: Any reason the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS rather than as backup? If I wired the IPS to the ebus I have the backup alternator I can use should the primary fail. Maybe the IPS is [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

erich.weaver(at)urs.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

I should have stated previously that the manufacturer has indicated that failure of the IPS results in pass through of the bus voltage. Assuming that's true, operation of the EFIS should continue unless I was in a brownout situation.
This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

At 18:33 2014-12-21, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Weaver, Erich" <erich.weaver(at)urs.com>

Rather than a standby battery I am installing a 4 amp rated 'Intelligent Power Stabilizer' on my z-13/8 wired RV for brownout protection to one of my two EFIS screens during startup. The EFIS draws 1 amp. The manual says to install a 12 amp fuse on the power inlet to the IPS unit and a second 5 amp inline fuse on the wire providing power from the IPS to the secondary power inlet on the EFIS. First question: the 12 amp fuse can just be on my main bus so no hassle there but i would rather not have the 5 amp inline fuse buried behind the subpanel with the IPS if its not absolutely necessary. Do I definitely need both fuses for adequate protection?

Fuses should be part of your system for one reason only . . . to protect wires and to prevent a failure on one feeder from propagating into other systems. Hence the common-bus/multiple-feeder architectures with individual protection on each feeder.

If the manufacturer calls for a fuse in the output lead, then it's very much worth your time and effort to inquire as to the circumstances under which that fuse might operate. Not being familiar with the design of his product, we're in a poor position to conduct an FMEA. I hope that his reply would state that the output fuse is unnecessary.

If the device is rated at 4A output (56 watts) and assuming at LEAST 80% efficiency then input demand would be on the order of 75 watts. Under brown out conditions (8 volts or so) the current TRANSIENT would be on the order of 10A . . .so the 12A protection call-out seems reasonable for a FULLY loaded system.

Your system loads as installed will be approximately 1/4 rated max values so you have plenty of headroom in terms of wire protection. 12A call-out is a bit funky . . . go for 10A . . . a fuse you can actually buy.

Second question: Any reason the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS rather than as backup? If I wired the IPS to the ebus I have the backup alternator I can use should the primary fail. Maybe the IPS is not intended for full time operation or perhaps it draws more current than practical for the ebus?

Energy is energy is energy. These switchmode power supplies are constant power systems meaning that as bus voltage falls, INPUT current will rise to maintain a constant power at the output terminals. Your 1A EFIS demand (14W) means normal bus (14.5v) draw is about 1.3A, at end of life on battery only ops (11v) the draw rises to about 1.5A. During brown out transient of say 8v, the draw rises to 2.2A. So 10A circuit protection from the bus seems quite adequate.
Bob . . . [quote][b]

erich.weaver(at)urs.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

I had a conversation with the manufacturer today. Given the low amp draw for my specific use, he was comfortable with reducing the 12 amp fuse to 7.5 amp and eliminating the downstream 5 amp fuse. Not sure a 7.5 amp fuse is readily available, but will go with 10 if not. There is also no reason why the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS. There are multiple redundant paths built into the unit so that the power stabilizing capability could essentially vaporize and the unit would default to passing through available buss voltage, so there is very little risk of losing power to my EFIS.

I do like the fact that this unit is small and maintenance free, unlike a backup battery that is more often used for this anti brownout purpose.

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

Erich,
You appear to be interested in design and analysis so you may be interested in the attached document. It's a design where redundancy & brown-out prevention were initial design criteria and baked-in from the beginning - therefore it does not require bolting-on additional widgets. In addition it's surprisingly straight-forward.

-Jeff

On Monday, December 22, 2014 5:14 PM, "Weaver, Erich" <erich.weaver(at)urs.com> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Weaver, Erich" <erich.weaver(at)urs.com (erich.weaver(at)urs.com)>

I had a conversation with the manufacturer today. Given the low amp draw for my specific use, he was comfortable with reducing the 12 amp fuse to 7.5 amp and eliminating the downstream 5 amp fuse. Not sure a 7.5 amp fuse is readily available, but will go with 10 if not. There is also no reason why the IPS can't be used as the sole source of power to the EFIS. There are multiple redundant paths built into the unit so that the power stabilizing capability could essentially vaporize and the unit would default to passing through available buss voltage, so there is very little risk of losing power to my EFIS.

I do like the fact that this unit is small and maintenance free, unlike a backup battery that is more often used for this anti brownout purpose.
This

PowDist01a.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PowDist01a.pdf
 Filesize:  39.33 KB
 Downloaded:  261 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Power stabilizer wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure a 7.5 amp fuse is readily available, . . .

Van's Aircraft sells fuses that glow when blown (if the circuit has a load).
Van's phone 503.678.6545
ES-00202 FUSE ATC 2 AMP (No glow) $0.40
ES-00203 FUSE ATC 3 AMP LIT $0.55
ES-00205 FUSE ATC 5 AMP LIT $0.55
ES-00207 FUSE ATC 7.5 AMP LIT $1.00
ES-00210 FUSE ATC 10 AMP LIT $0.85
ES-00230 FUSE ATC 30 AMP LIT $0.85
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: