Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator/regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gburdett1(at)frontier.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit. Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400 rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

At 15:34 2015-01-19, you wrote:
Quote:

I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit.
Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced
battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400
rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????

Regulator is not properly adjusted for maintaining
a lead-acid battery. Unfortunately, most of the
off-the-shelf regulators for pm alternators do not
offer user adjustments.

Finding a drop-in replacement with friendlier
performance is about your only option. Your
problem is not uncommon and the folks who design,
manufacture and market these products seem oblivious
to the disservice they impose on their customers.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
I have an odyssey 680 cell and the first regulator ran ok for about 75 hours and two years. I checked B&C and they do not recommend using their regulator with an 18-20 amp pm alternator.
Oddly enough, about 10 hours ago, I switched to a rear alt setup on a Corvair which meant the alt would spin a lot slower than the belt setup so it doesn't start getting up to voltage until about 15-1800 rpms. If there is nothing else to check,I will look for a higher quality regulator,maybe ,motorcycle . If you know of good ones.....

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

>
>
> I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit. Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400 rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????

offer user adjustments.

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Measure the voltage between the regulator case and regulator voltage-sense-input terminal. If that voltage is at the desired set-point, then the regulator is doing its job and is not defective. And if that measured voltage is at the desired set-point, but aircraft system voltage is much higher, then there is a bad connection someplace between the alternator output and the regulator input. Possible trouble spots are wire terminals and alternator switch contacts.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,
The input to,the regulator comes directly from the aircraft bus through a switch and breaker and the alternator feeds directly to the bus through the regulator and breaker. . The input is reading what the bus is reading minus 2/10 volt due to resistance in circuit . This regulator has no adjustable set point. It is for a PM alternator.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:40 AM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Measure the voltage between the regulator case and regulator voltage-sense-input terminal. If that voltage is at the desired set-point, then the regulator is doing its job and is not defective. And if that measured voltage is at the desired set-point, but aircraft system voltage is much higher, then there is a bad connection someplace between the alternator output and the regulator input. Possible trouble spots are wire terminals and alternator switch contacts.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=437306#437306

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Follow up on pm alt regulator, adding about 5 amps of load brings the voltage down to 14.2 at WOT .My plane does not use a lot of electricity and normal running with radios and some low draw instruments pulls only a few amps. Maybe it's a heat dissipation issue although the regulator is on the firewall under the panel with good air flow around it and it's cool today. So , when weather breaks,a will try a flight with everything on. Since I don't need cabin lights all the time, maybe a 50 watt switched resistor across the bus may be a good addition.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Gary Burdett <gburdett1(at)frontier.com> wrote:

Thanks Joe,
The input to,the regulator comes directly from the aircraft bus through a switch and breaker and the alternator feeds directly to the bus through the regulator and breaker. . The input is reading what the bus is reading minus 2/10 volt due to resistance in circuit . This regulator has no adjustable set point. It is for a PM alternator.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:40 AM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Measure the voltage between the regulator case and regulator voltage-sense-input terminal. If that voltage is at the desired set-point, then the regulator is doing its job and is not defective. And if that measured voltage is at the desired set-point, but aircraft system voltage is much higher, then there is a bad connection someplace between the alternator output and the regulator input. Possible trouble spots are wire terminals and alternator switch contacts.
> Joe
>
> --------
> Joe Gores
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=437306#437306

kjashton(at)vnet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

I see a lot of discussion on tractor and boat forums about the Yanmar alternator and its regulators, for example
http://ymowners.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1924

Try this search for a good bit of discussion:
https://www.google.com/search?q=yanmar+PM+alternator+voltage+regulator&biw=1531&bih=894&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=HrO-VN7ZCqOxsATijILgDg&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

Here is one disassembled
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=258762
-Kent

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 10:07 AM, Gary Burdett <gburdett1(at)frontier.com> wrote:

Thanks Bob,
I have an odyssey 680 cell and the first regulator ran ok for about 75 hours and two years. I checked B&C and they do not recommend using their regulator with an 18-20 amp pm alternator.
Oddly enough, about 10 hours ago, I switched to a rear alt setup on a Corvair which meant the alt would spin a lot slower than the belt setup so it doesn't start getting up to voltage until about 15-1800 rpms. If there is nothing else to check,I will look for a higher quality regulator,maybe ,motorcycle . If you know of good ones.....

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> At 15:34 2015-01-19, you wrote:
>>
>>
>> I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit. Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400 rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????
>
>
> Regulator is not properly adjusted for maintaining
> a lead-acid battery. Unfortunately, most of the
> off-the-shelf regulators for pm alternators do not
> offer user adjustments.
>
> Finding a drop-in replacement with friendlier
> performance is about your only option. Your
> problem is not uncommon and the folks who design,
> manufacture and market these products seem oblivious
> to the disservice they impose on their customers.
>
>
> Bob . . .
>
>
>
>

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

That seems strange to me. Perhaps you meant +2/10 volts.
My PM J.Deere controls the voltage at the regulator output. ie the
highest voltage in the system is at the regulator output lug. There is
no separate voltage sense wire on my regulator. Perhaps the Yanmar does
have one in which case you can trouble shoot much like for a
conventional wound field regulator.

A 0.2 volt difference anywhere while charging lightly seems high to me
but possible if the regulator is in fact not regulating and feeding many
amps into the battery. I assume you've verified the voltage with a
handheld digital voltmeter to rule out a bad indication.

I would give the same advice that Joe did. FWIW the easiest way I've
found to kill a J.Deere regulator is to start the engine without a
battery connected (actually I had a completely dead AGM battery
connected but it might as well have been disconnected) and yes the
failure mode was maximum output with no regulation. I encourage you to
get this fixed properly and not mess with adding load to manually lower
the voltage. These batteries do not like to be overcharged.

Ken

On 20/01/2015 12:50 PM, Gary Burdett wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Joe,

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:40 AM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Measure the voltage between the regulator case and regulator voltage-sense-input terminal. If that voltage is at the desired set-point, then the regulator is doing its job and is not defective. And if that measured voltage is at the desired set-point, but aircraft system voltage is much higher, then there is a bad connection someplace between the alternator output and the regulator input. Possible trouble spots are wire terminals and alternator switch contacts.
> Joe
>
> --------
> Joe Gores
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=437306#437306
>
>

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

I agree with Ken that 2/10 volt drop seems high for a sense circuit that conducts very little current. Try measuring the voltage drop across the switch and then across the breaker to determine exactly where the 2/10 volt is being dropped. Also measure the voltage drop from the regulator case to ground, assuming the regulator is grounded through the case.
A jumper wire could be temporarily connected from the bus to the regulator input to see if the regulation improves.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Joe etal,
The 2/10 was just the voltage difference between different points in the circuit with the master turned on, no alternator charging. Just to illustrate an insignificant difference around the circuit and that the power input to the reg, sensing, was the same as the bus. The system is working, as Bob said earlier, the lawn tractor regulators are not always crafted to the highest quality as they are made meet lawn tractor standards, not aviation ones. Nevertheless , I will keep a watch on the voltage carefully until I find a replacement, giving it a dummy load does work, just not a permanent fix. Thanks for the help.
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 5:27 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I agree with Ken that 2/10 volt drop seems high for a sense circuit that conducts very little current. Try measuring the voltage drop across the switch and then across the breaker to determine exactly where the 2/10 volt is being dropped. Also measure the voltage drop from the regulator case to ground, assuming the regulator is grounded through the case.
A jumper wire could be temporarily connected from the bus to the regulator input to see if the regulation improves.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=437365#437365

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Quote:

I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit.
Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced
battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400
rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????

offer user adjustments.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Alternator/regulator Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks for the clarification . I think I jumped to confusion.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

>
>
> I have a JD/yanmar PM alternator and regulator with crowbar circuit. Voltage was starting to run over 15 volts at cruise rpms. Replaced battery and regulator, now hits 15.5 volts at anything over 2400 rpms on first test with a fully charged battery..????

offer user adjustments.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: