Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Generation without Battery?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Bob,

I am building a Carbon Cub - a lightweight experimental design for backcountry use. It will use a fully electrically dependent Lycoming engine. I plan on 1 battery/2 alternators, and I desire the system to run the engine with any 1 of those 3 failed.

I want to use a lithium battery for starting purposes only. I am not worried about battery only endurance with 2 other power sources.
Alternator technology is mature, but Li batteries seem to be still evolving. Some type of battery fault would seem be a likely failure mode in my planned system. (I'd like to monitor battery temp using a probe and my on board electronics, and to have some way to electrically isolate or even physically remove the battery).

I plan to use your Z12 or Z13 architecture.
People I speak with advise me that alternators (even the SD8) are dependent on a functioning battery in the system, and that they will cease to function if the battery fails or is taken offline.
Recent revelations regarding the Challenger/Aerovoltz scenario aside, there seem to still be legitimate issues with the current Li crop. At the very least they remain relatively unproven.

So I am concerned about the Li battery being a single point of failure capable of stopping the engine.

How can I design around this problem?
Chris M
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

n801bh(at)netzero.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Pmag ?????

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Use a lead acid battery? Something like a PC545 at 11.4 lb may be an acceptable weight penalty?
Peter On 19 Jan 2015 23:03, "Chris Mullins" <mullincl(at)gmail.com (mullincl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:[quote]Bob,

I am building a Carbon Cub - a lightweight experimental design for backcountry use. It will use a fully electrically dependent Lycoming engine. I plan on 1 battery/2 alternators, and I desire the system to run the engine with any 1 of those 3 failed.

I want to use a lithium battery for starting purposes only. I am not worried about battery only endurance with 2 other power sources.
Alternator technology is mature, but Li batteries seem to be still evolving. Some type of battery fault would seem be a likely failure mode in my planned system. (I'd like to monitor battery temp using a probe and my on board electronics, and to have some way to electrically isolate or even physically remove the battery).

People I speak with advise me that alternators (even the SD8) are dependent on a functioning battery in the system, and that they will cease to function if the battery fails or is taken offline.
Recent revelations regarding the Challenger/Aerovoltz scenario aside, there seem to still be legitimate issues with the current Li crop. At the very least they remain relatively unproven.

So I am concerned about the Li battery being a single point of failure capable of stopping the engine.

Chris M
Quote:

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Chris,
If your mission profile could put you in the back country with ground support hundreds of miles away, you may want to consider a few ideas:
1. Consider changing architecture to 2 batteries & 1 alternator. If your only battery goes dead or has diminished capacity due to extreme cold, you done. Having an extra alternator won't get the engine started.

2. Maybe this is not the place for un-proven lithium battery technology. Again, if your survival depends on it, you may want to go w/ technology that has a proven track record.
-Jeff

On Monday, January 19, 2015 3:51 PM, Peter Pengilly <peter(at)sportingaero.com> wrote:

Use a lead acid battery? Something like a PC545 at 11.4 lb may be an acceptable weight penalty?
Peter
On 19 Jan 2015 23:03, "Chris Mullins" <mullincl(at)gmail.com (mullincl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Bob,

Chris M
Quote:

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 16:49 2015-01-19, you wrote:
Bob,
I am building a Carbon Cub - a lightweight experimental design for
backcountry use. It will use a fully electrically dependent Lycoming
engine. I plan on 1 battery/2 alternators, and I desire the system to
run the engine with any 1 of those 3 failed.

Under what scenario do you perceive that a battery
becomes unavailable to you?

I want to use a lithium battery for starting purposes only. I am not
worried about battery only endurance with 2 other power sources.

Okay . . .
Alternator technology is mature, but Li batteries seem to be still
evolving. Some type of battery fault would seem be a likely failure
mode in my planned system. (I'd like to monitor battery temp using a
probe and my on board electronics, and to have some way to
electrically isolate or even physically remove the battery).

Which #2 alternator are you considering?
People I speak with advise me that alternators (even the SD8) are
dependent on a functioning battery in the system, and that they will
cease to function if the battery fails or is taken offline.

Not true. Once they are up and running, all alternators
will continue to run self-excited unless 'stalled' by
a LARGE load, like 200W landing light or an electro-
hydraulic pump motor. The SD-8 can be installed to
self-excite (See Z figures). Many alternators on
Lycoming engines will self excite due to their
high operating speeds with the popular pulley
ratios.

Recent revelations regarding the Challenger/Aerovoltz scenario aside,
there seem to still be legitimate issues with the current Li crop. At
the very least they remain relatively unproven.

It's not one 'crop' but a garden . . . albeit
infested with some weeds. The type
certificated lithium products like True Blue
have 'full up' battery management systems that
are quite capable of preventing events like that
which plagued the Challenger owner. Further,
had the Challenger owner availed himself of
the knowledge and experience freely offered
from the pages of this List and DOZENS of
other sources, he would have caught the mis
behaving rectifier-regulator before it became
antagonistic to his battery.

I'm working on the 'frosting' article to a
series I did in Kitplanes on lithium batteries.
A major feature of the article points out
the constellation of design and marketing
approaches for lithium cranking batteries
in particular and consumer off-the-shelf
cells in general.

It will also discuss the range of offerings
for 'battery management systems' which can
range from a simple fuse built into one
end of a cell . . . up to a bucket full of
electronics and software that costs nearly
as much as the battery itself!
So I am concerned about the Li battery being a single point of
failure capable of stopping the engine.

Engine stoppage due to failed battery? Not
if you take the time to understand how all
those bits and pieces fit together to solve
your particular puzzle. If you want to
go lithium, go EarthX (Full up BMS). There
are some up-n-comers nipping at EarthX's
heels . . .

Simple . . . not necessarily easy but simple.
Hang out here. Read. Ask questions (which
are already under way . . . good for you!).
When you hear/read/observe some bit of
information from other sources, bring them
here to the List for sharing/sifting of
the simple-ideas in physics that define
REAL performance and risks.

Share your thoughts about load analysis,
qualify your "plan-b" to deal with failures.
Your misgivings are real but I suggest
they are borne more of ignorance than of physical
limits to performance of products that are
thoughtfully and skillfully crafted.

It's your ability to recognize those skills
that will carry you forward with confidence.

By the way, your 'advisors' who speak of
alternator/battery relationships might enjoy
joining us here too . . . their advise is
dated and/or inaccurate.
Bob . . .

ChrisM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Bob,
I think the most likely battery failure modes would be temperature related due mild overcharging/cell imbalance/high ambient temperatures. I think I'll be pretty protected from a runaway thermal overload due to frank over voltage as I will use your Z figures with overload protection/notification. An internal short may also be more likely with lithium than with lead acid.

Regarding alternator #2: I request your advice. Running the engine with the EFII requires 10 amps - mostly for electric fuel pump. I think I need perhaps 15 amps for a comfort margin and to run the radio. Output curve vs rpm is significant considering fuel and ignition function are at stake. But this is a vfr aircraft and I can navigate and fly with nothing but the engine running.
So the SD8 does not have adequate output.
Perhaps adapting one of B&C's larger units intended for Continentals? Wind my own? Hopefully something off the shelf though!

I contacted B&C on the self/persistent excitation issue and was advised that the SD8 requires a battery in the system to operate the regulator. He referred me to you. Also called Plane Power as it seemed their internally regulated design should be able to continue to run following removal of external battery power, but was advised not. Answers may have been tainted by my emphasis about actually keep the engine running!

I don't think I have any large loads in the plane which would tend to stun the self-excited alternator. Think I may make a small placard to remind about being gentle with manipulations if running under such circumstances.
I believe you drew Z12 and Z13 prior to predominance of 100% electrically dependent engines. They both show a magneto in the system for example.
Do you feel these Z figures are appropriate for adapting to electrically dependent engines using a lead acid battery?

Do you think Z12/13 are reasonable for use with a current technology (eg EarthX) Li battery?
Which Z do you favor and why?

If yes, is there some means to enhance the alternators propensity to continue to produce power following battery failure?

What do you recommend for a first and second alternator for my system? Minimum output needed is 15 amps at perhaps 1800 engine rpm. Weight is a factor for my setup.

Thank you very much for helping me understand how all these bits and pieces do fit together.
Your willingness to offer your expertise and experience answering questions like these is very generous.
Chris M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 14:00 2015-01-21, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "ChrisM" <mullincl(at)gmail.com>

Bob,
I think the most likely battery failure modes would be temperature related due mild overcharging/cell imbalance/high ambient temperatures.
I think I'll be pretty protected from a runaway thermal overload due to frank over voltage as I will use your Z figures with overload protection/notification. An internal short may also be more likely with lithium than with lead acid.

I think you're over-worrying the design decisions before you. Keep in mind that the aviation industry has a rich history of what works and lessons learned for what doesn't.

If you sort through the NTSB accident reports, you will be hard pressed to find one that has root cause in failure of an electrical system component to perform as advertised. Even when such stories are found, we read about accidents that just didn't need to happen based on poor architecture, craftsmanship and/or operational decisions . . . NOT borne out of any failure-to-perform to specifications.

http://tinyurl.com/mwo3f4x

http://tinyurl.com/kv7eugm

http://tinyurl.com/msfmldj

A well maintained battery (meaning you don't simply run it until it doesn't crank the engine any more) is the single most reliable power source on the airplane. LIMITED in amount of energy stored but a reliable resource when that energy is skillfully managed.

Risk of shorted cells in a well managed SVLA based system is essentially zero. Even the lithium incident recently discussed had root cause in severe over-charging from a condition that went unnoticed by the pilot for a LONG period of time.

Regarding alternator #2: I request your advice. Running the engine with the EFII requires 10 amps - mostly for electric fuel pump.

Are these published, MEASURED numbers? That's a LOT of power for a task that takes less than 5A in my 1987 pickup. Are there examples of your proposed system flying? Have any of those operators shared any current draw observations?

I think I need perhaps 15 amps for a comfort margin and to run the radio. Output curve vs rpm is significant considering fuel and ignition function are at stake. But this is a vfr aircraft and I can navigate and fly with nothing but the engine running.

So the SD8 does not have adequate output.

The SD-8 is a 10A max machine but it does have adequate power for the majority of elegantly crafted architectures

Perhaps adapting one of B&C's larger units intended for Continentals? Wind my own? Hopefully something off the shelf though!

Wind one? If the over-riding concern driving this thread is system reliability for an airplane that clearly isn't going to spend hours at rarified heights . . . any performance advantages for 'going hi-tech' are not going to be realized. The most proven recipes for success in system reliability used independent ignitions either self-contained (magnetos, p-mags) or very low current demand (light speed, et. als.)

Electronic fuel injection for a back-country, puddle jumping pick-em-up truck only adds complexity with limited return on investment.

If it were my airplane: Lyc with p-mags or light speed ignition, L-40 belt driven alternator, SD-8 pad driven alternator, well maintained SLVA battery (or EarthX if you're ready to $spend$ just for weight reduction.)

This combination has evolved with a track record of ancestral architectures going back 100 years. Clearly, your project has the potential for being a great fun-machine. But time, talent and resources being contemplated to make it look more like a Lancair IVP only drives up complexity, adds to your burdens for understanding all the nuances of its architecture, drives up worry-pressures and adds almost nothing to observable performance.

I contacted B&C on the self/persistent excitation issue and was advised that the SD8 requires a battery in the system to operate the regulator. He referred me to you. Also called Plane Power as it seemed their internally regulated design should be able to continue to run following removal of external battery power, but was advised not. Answers may have been tainted by my emphasis about actually keep the engine running!

Actually, self-excitation on the SD-8 was discussed here on the List some time back. Figure Z21 in the 'Connection illustrates the concept for adding a few components to keep PM alternator's rectifier/regulators 'awake' sans battery.

I don't think I have any large loads in the plane which would tend to stun the self-excited alternator. Think I may make a small placard to remind about being gentle with manipulations if running under such circumstances.
I believe you drew Z12 and Z13 prior to predominance of 100% electrically dependent engines. They both show a magneto in the system for example.
Do you feel these Z figures are appropriate for adapting to electrically dependent engines using a lead acid battery?

Do you think Z12/13 are reasonable for use with a current technology (eg EarthX) Li battery?
Which Z do you favor and why?

If yes, is there some means to enhance the alternators propensity to continue to produce power following battery failure?

If you spend as much time taking care of a battery as you do worrying about it failing, then it's not going to fail. Taking care of it means, "operate it within well established limits and preventative maintenance to verify integrity."

What do you recommend for a first and second alternator for my system? Minimum output needed is 15 amps at perhaps 1800 engine rpm. Weight is a factor for my setup.

Z-13/8, simple ignition/fuel delivery, battery optional but DEMANDING of your attention no matter what alternators or battery is installed. We tend to worry more about changing oil in the engine or watching tire tread wear than to track and verify battery performance. Yet more unhappy days in the cockpit are rooted in poorly archtiectured/ maintained electrical systems than for dirty oil or worn tires.
Bob . . .
[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Lightspeed and others recommend connecting electronic ignition directly to the battery. Since Lithium batteries have been known to short out, maybe they should not be used. If the battery shorts out, so will the alternators be shorted.
Another failure mode to be considered is a failed master contactor shortly after takeoff. That is not very likely to happen, but it could. Regardless of what the manufacturers say, an alternator could keep supplying power to the aircraft electrical system. Thus the pilot would not know that the master contactor has opened. If the duration of the flight is longer than the energy stored in the battery (likely with a Li battery), then the engine will quit. A solution to the failed master contactor scenario is a relay in parallel (disabled during engine cranking).
Even if these failure modes are unlikely, everything needs to be considered when designing an electrical system. Accidents happen sometimes due to unlikely and unexpected chain of events.
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 09:11 2015-01-24, you wrote:
Quote:

Lightspeed and others recommend connecting electronic ignition
directly to the battery.

. . . a sentiment that has been echoed in the AEC publications
for a long time. Fuel pumps too . . . any component which depends
on DC to keep the engine running . . .

Quote:
Since Lithium batteries have been known to short out, maybe they
should not be used.

SLVA batteries never short?
Quote:
If the battery shorts out, so will the alternators be shorted.

. . . okay, step through the FMEA for a shorted cell in
any battery. How will the event manifest? How will the
pilot become aware of it? What is the recommended plan
of action to be taken by the pilot? Most important . . .
what features can be incorporated into the full-up system
to offer a pilot the best response to the event?

Quote:
Another failure mode to be considered is a failed master
contactor shortly after takeoff.

Again, step through the FEMA . . .

Quote:
That is not very likely to happen, but it could. Regardless of
what the manufacturers say, an alternator could keep supplying
power to the aircraft electrical system.

Yes . . . consider the plots of data I took on an exemplar
SD-8 at B&C about 20 years ago

http://tinyurl.com/n5yd3vw

In particular, page 9 of the document that cites 14.5v output
at 9.7 amps with a 10KuF 'smoothing' capacitor and NO BATTERY.
One a quality we've not discussed here is the value of the
legacy 'smoothing' capacitor might add in improving NO BATTERY
performance of the rectifier-regulator. A question I will explore
in the future.
Quote:
Thus the pilot would not know that the master contactor has
opened. If the duration of the flight is longer than the energy
stored in the battery (likely with a Li battery), then the engine
will quit. A solution to the failed master contactor scenario is a
relay in parallel (disabled during engine cranking).

That's one solution . . . are there others?

Quote:
Even if these failure modes are unlikely, everything needs to be
considered when designing an electrical system. Accidents happen
sometimes due to unlikely and unexpected chain of events.

. . . but with some tempering based on lessons learned
and probabilities based on history. Yeah, on occasion
some airplanes throw a prop . . . bad bolts? Probably
not. Bad installation of bolts? Probably. Broken
crankshaft . . . that's a stretch. But again, history
has demonstrated the MAJOR cause of uncomfortable
termination of flight is inattention to simple-ideas
with performance histories rich in data.

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to monitor battery temp using a probe and my on board electronics, and to have some way to electrically isolate or even physically remove the battery

Here a links to thermocouples. Most EMS or EFIS have inputs for type J.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/WT.html
http://www.omega.com/pptst/SA2.html
If the EFIS alarms with temperature rise, the master switch can be shut off.

Quote:

Are there any permanent magnet alternators (dynamo) available for your engine? One possibility (and I am not necessarily recommending this) is to dedicate a dynamo to supply electrical power to only one fuel pump and one ignition, keeping this circuit completely isolated and independent of the rest of the aircraft electrical system (except for common ground).
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 15:30 2015-01-25, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

> I'd like to monitor battery temp using a probe and my on board electronics, and to have some way to electrically isolate or even physically remove the battery

Here a links to thermocouples. Most EMS or EFIS have inputs for type J.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/WT.html
http://www.omega.com/pptst/SA2.html
If the EFIS alarms with temperature rise, the master switch can be shut off.

But where do you put a thermocouple? In a 4x4 array of cells, there are 16 potential failures. How can you be certain that monitoring any particular location outside the battery will offer timely notification of a failure on any of the 16 cells inside?

What constitutes an alarming temperature rise?

Once that condition is noted, what value is there in any pilot action. Shut off the battery? Jettison the battery?

> So I am concerned about the Li battery being a single point of failure capable of stopping the engine.
> How can I design around this problem?

Design a system that doesn't set batteries on fire (timely notification of or reaction to over voltage) and perhaps incorporate batteries with full-up Battery Management Systems that will function to PREVENT such events as opposed to reacting to the event AFTER it occurs.

Are there any permanent magnet alternators (dynamo) available for your engine? One possibility (and I am not necessarily recommending this) is to dedicate a dynamo to supply electrical power to only one fuel pump and one ignition, keeping this circuit completely isolated and independent of the rest of the aircraft electrical system (except for common ground).

Please make the argument for the battery (of any chemistry) NOT being the most reliable source of energy on the airplane. We've read narratives for all manner of puffed-up and/or vented-dry SVLA batteries . . . some of which have indeed experienced internal fires.

ALL such cases were preceded by a sustained ov even that went unnoticed. Batteries don't instantly go POOF when the alternator runs away. To this date, are we aware of ANY battery in distress that was NOT triggered by an event borne of poor system architecture or operator inattention?
Bob . . .
[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Chris,
My mistake, I should have read your first post more closely. You do intend to use the SD-8 dynamo.
The Rotax 912i fuel injected engine has two dynamos, one for the engine and one for the rest of the aircraft. The ignition and fuel pumps can also be powered by the other dynamo if necessary.
Joe

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Quote:
Please make the argument for the battery (of any chemistry) NOT being the most reliable source of energy on the airplane.

I agree that SVLA are very reliable. I am not very knowledgeable about the Lithium batteries except for the news reports which sensationalize the fire without explaining why it happened. If you think that the Lithium batteries are safe (if properly charged and discharged) for use in aircraft, then that is good enough for me. But I will wait until the price comes down to the level of lead acid batteries before buying a Lithium. In the mean time, I will keep my plane light weight by watching what I eat. Smile
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 18:16 2015-01-25, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Chris,
My mistake, I should have read your first post more closely. You do intend to use the SD-8 dynamo.
The Rotax 912i fuel injected engine has two dynamos, one for the engine and one for the rest of the aircraft. The ignition and fuel pumps can also be powered by the other dynamo if necessary.

The last time I dug through the MM on a 912, a
constellation of windings on the PM alternator
stator core were defined as follows:

[img]cid:.0[/img]

4 each, trigger coils for spark timing of the
8 plugs in pairs (waste spark). These
will be a low voltage, low energy
signal to the ignition modules.

2 each, capacitor charging coils, one for
each module. These are moderate energy,
high voltage windings that charge a
capacitor with each pass of the magnet.
This few hundred volts of capacitor
charge is stepped up in coils to the
killovolt levels needed for plugs.

1 each, tachometer signal coil. Another
low voltage, low energy signal generator
for an electronic tach.

1 each, PM alternator coil. High energy, high
current in the 250W class. This is the
only winding available to drive any
sort of rectifier-regulator to operate
ship's electro-whizzies.

All other windings are separate and dedicated
to their respective tasks thus making ignition
systems completely independent of the power
generation system.

Some Rotax installations include aa SECOND,
optional belt driven alternator in the 40-55A class.
This second alternator has been teamed with
the integral PM alternator in a Figure Z-13/8
configuration on several OBAM aircraft . . .

I've seen some pad driven alternators on
Rotax engines . . . in the spot for
vacuum pumps. But this pad is slow and
I don't think THAT particular #2 alternator
was very practical.

In any case, only one coil of eight on the
back of a Rotax 912/914 generates power
for ship's electrical needs.

Bob . . .

14d59f78.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.67 KB
 Viewed:  17027 Time(s)

14d59f78.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

The Rotax fuel injected engine is new, only having been for sale for the last year or two. It is an electrically dependent engine, not only for the ignition, but also for the high pressure fuel pumps. Thus, the electrical system needs to be fail safe. Below is an excerpt from the installation manual.
http://www.flyrotax.com/customer-serviceImpressum/technical-publications.aspx
Joe

Quote:
The internal generator has two isolated coils integrated (individual generators). During the starting operation, the EMS system is powered by the battery. With sufficient speed generator B takes over this function. After the EMS system check, generator A takes over the supply of the EMS system (engine), if the switching threshold is exceeded. Generator B is then used to supply the aircraft instruments and for charging the battery.
Generator A 14.2 V/16 A (220 W nominal capacity at 20°C/68 °F)
Generator B 14.2 V/30 A (420 W nominal capacity at 20°C/68 °F)

If generator A fails, generator B takes over its functions. The onboard computer and the instruments will be supplied by the battery. The battery will no longer be charged!

If generator B fails, the battery will no longer be charged. The engine still runs on generator A and the instruments will be supplied by the battery. The function of the instruments depends on the state of charge of the battery.
For monitoring the battery voltage and to ensure that the battery is charged, a voltmeter and ammeter is necessary.

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Bob,

FWIW, I have one of those (Nippon Denso) alternators on the vacuum pad of my 914. It is actually capable of producing more amps than the ROTAX built-in alternator. But it takes 2500 rpm for it to come online.

Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
Geowhiziks & Doodlebugging, Inc.
Certified Petroleum Geophysicist AAPG#101
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, at 19:17, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

Quote:
I've seen some pad driven alternators on
Rotax engines . . . in the spot for
vacuum pumps. But this pad is slow and
I don't think THAT particular #2 alternator
was very practical.

ChrisM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks to you and other participants for help with my questions.
Interesting that you are feeling so confident in the application of Li batteries. This is really a significant step forward in technology for small aircraft.

You emphasized to "operate (Lithium battery) within well established limits and preventative maintenance to verify integrity." Will you elaborate regarding how this looks with Li? You have mentioned in the past about the lack of data from many manufacturers, and the lack of lead acid equivalency. Do you feel the BMS used by EarthX is a final equilibrator here?

The advanced EFII system I have been evaluating may be a bit too far up the ladder for my project, as you pointed out. The 10 ampere requirement quoted was per email from manufacturer and is for both the fuel and ignition systems. Majority apparently consumed by the fuel pump - one of two runs at a time to pressurize a fuel rail.

Anyway, I am currently favoring a pullback to a set of P Mags, mechanical fuel injection, a single Li battery with a small detached back up, and a single alternator. This set up should perform similarly in practical terms, and be very reliable and light.

At least I have a nice head start on my Lance Air project!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

At 12:05 2015-01-30, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "ChrisM" <mullincl(at)gmail.com>

Bob,
Thanks to you and other participants for help with my questions.
Interesting that you are feeling so confident in the application of Li batteries. This is really a significant step forward in technology for small aircraft.

I have not said that it's a "step forward" . . . in fact,
I have raised questions as to the economics for the transition
to lithium. I will assert that lithium is an alternative
ingredient that may well be an appealing recipe for success.
I don't yet see a concise definition of 'success'.

There are three separate lines of inquiry that influence the
choice to incorporate lithium batteries into your personal
elegant solution.

Integration: It's no different than the study of how
transistors evolved with significant milestones marked
by the relative fragility of the PNP germanium
transistors that first flew in airplanes. Devices later
displaced with more robust NPN silicon. More recently,
the power mosfet is King Silicon. EVERY evolutionary
plateau was an improvement in performance, robustness
and service life. However, EVERY step up required major
changes to the circuitry and design philosophy to fully
exploit what the new device had to offer. One could not
simply pull out the old and plug in the new. This is
the foundation for my distaste of popular marketing
hype citing "lead-acid equivalency".

Lithium is equivalent to nothing . . . its greatest
advantages cannot be fully exploited without careful
attention to just how this ingredient 'fits' into
the recipe for success.

Cost of Ownership: When Burt Rutan was putting the sharp
pencil to the design of Voyager, weight was a critical
consideration.

He told us that it takes 5 pounds of fuel to carry
one pound of airplane around the world. Every pound
removed from empty weight removes 6 pounds from gross
weight at takeoff. Nearly one gallon more fuel. One gallon
at end of mission would carry Voyager another hundred
miles or so. But there were prices to pay. The materials
to build such a 'featherweight' airplane with any structural
integrity were very expensive. Further, fuel unique mission
requirement multiplies the weight of the airplane by 6 times
called for a fuel tank with wings having very attractive
l/d ratios . . . at the sacrifice of handling qualities.
Dick Rutan confessed that the airplane scared the hell
out of him . . . he had nightmares of dying in that
airplane. Without the fine support of King Radio for
an autopilot that would handle this winged beast,
the around-the-world mission would have humanly
impossible. Without pedantic attention to weight,
sometimes a great cost, the mission might not have been
possible.

Risk: Properly conducted FMEA seek to study, discover,
classify, understand and ultimately mitigate all the
ways that the product can first, cease to preform
intended duties as one of many players in the orchestra.
Then, mitigate failures that put the entire system at risk for
catastrophic collapse. It's one thing for the cello
player to break a string . . . quite another for
to be sneezing H1N1 into the surrounding environment.

You emphasized to "operate (Lithium battery) within well established limits and preventative maintenance to verify integrity." Will you elaborate regarding how this looks with Li? You have mentioned in the past about the lack of data from many manufacturers, and the lack of lead acid equivalency. Do you feel the BMS used by EarthX is a final equilibrator here?

The purveyors of lithium are the first folks to assert
that battery management systems are always a 'good'
idea. What ever form they take, the BMS mitigates risk
for catastrophic failure. Just how the BMS is configured
and applied in practice a big factor in performance, risk
and cost of ownership. It's unreasonable and added risk
to expect the consumer (OBAM aircraft builder) to take
on yet another task that amounts to micro-managing the
lithium physics. Especially when compared to the mature,
relatively docile qualities of lead-acid. BMS may not
be the 'final' answer to the svla vs. lithium decision
but certainly a major consideration.

An this still leaves the question I've asked and
nobody has come forward to answer, "What are the
numbers . . . how will the smaller weight and volume
numbers manifest in the performance and utility of
say, an RV7 presently fitted wity a PC680? Shorter
takeoffs? Higher mountains to challenge, cleared
out space to store your sandwiches?

Boeing's considerations for battery weight were but one
component in a HUGE model of cost/benefit ratios. The numbers
they considered enticed them to spend $millions$ in making
the switch to lithium. What are YOUR numbers?

The advanced EFII system I have been evaluating may be a bit too far up the ladder for my project, as you pointed out. The 10 ampere requirement quoted was per email from manufacturer and is for both the fuel and ignition systems. Majority apparently consumed by the fuel pump - one of two runs at a time to pressurize a fuel rail.

Yes . . . and I've heard 'up and running' numbers on
that system 'quoted' from 6 to 10 amps . . . but I have
yet to discover published data that speaks to the real
energy requirements for this system.

People may snicker at my insistence that the purveyors of
lithium come forth with "all the numbers" . . . like
Hawker/Enersys and virtually all contemporaries. But as
Lord Kelvin often opined, "without the numbers you have
barely scratched the surface of the science." I will build
on that sentiment by suggesting that the decision should not
devolve to preferring Big Macs just because they taste good
without knowing how they integrate into the energy
conversion/management system of a very complex machine.
Questions that remain undiscovered, unasked, unanswered
and/or ill-considered may bring the system down no matter
how good the product tasted.

EFII "owes" you the same quality of numbers that we expect
from Rotax, AeroVoltz, Icom, Smiley Jack's Prop Shop
. . . or anybody else that wants to play honorably and capably
in this sandbox.

Anyway, I am currently favoring a pullback to a set of P Mags, mechanical fuel injection, a single Li battery with a small detached back up, and a single alternator. This set up should perform similarly in practical terms, and be very reliable and light.

Sounds like a considered move . . . what now are your
electrical system numbers insuring comfortable termination
of flight limited only by fuel aboard?

Are you going to have a vacuum pump? Why waste a
perfectly good energy source by covering the pump
pad with a plate of aluminum? After nearly 20 years
of sifting the numbers, FMEA scenarios, costs of
ownership and performance, I suggest that Figure Z-13/8
is as near 'perfection' for flight system reliability
. . . assuming of course that you don't burden it with
an 120 watt engine support demands.

You speak of two batteries . . . why? One or both lithium?
Can you share your FMEA and cost of ownership reasoning?
Exactly how will that savings of wight manifest in performance
or utility of your airplane . . . and at what cost of
hours to integrate and maintain performance at minimum
levels throughout the service life of the battery?

Z-13/8 will keep your panel lit and allow you to
run any battery until it won't crank the engine any
more. The cost of ownership for the 4 pound wight
penalty of an SD-8 is far, Far, FAR lower than
that of any second battery you might choose to
lug around ESPECIALLY lithium.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

ChrisM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thank you for hanging in there with me as I continue to learn. I feel I am getting my moneys worth.

Most of us here are really interested in how Li will fit in the OBAM aircraft world. Based on my own study and what I have learned here, I do feel Li is a good choice for my design. You asked about the definition of design success - Doesn't that change a bit with each aircraft and mission? Refining “success” is one of the satisfying things about working with OBAM aircraft. Each design decision, by itself, can be considered to be a success or not depending on how wisely risks and benefits which apply to the specific problem at hand are evaluated and applied.

I think design success for me does involve a Li battery. Seems to me that Li is becoming the clear choice for most light weight aircraft with electrical systems tasking the battery primarily with starting duties. I'll try and explain my thinking...

One of the major seminal concepts for the plane I am constructing is light weight. It's a clean sheet design, and weight figured in all the decisions made by the airframe engineers. If weight had been ignored in a few of those decisions, it wouldn't have crippled the design. But if weight consciousness was repeatedly ignored thru a thousand decisions, then it would have resulted in a poor/heavy design.

I think your question “What are the performance improvement numbers.....” is narrowly phrased to provoke thought about the bigger picture. It points to the folly of making a decision which favors weight savings excessively in favor of other parameters like cost, reliability etc etc. Practically speaking, a single decision to adopt a heavy solution in an airplane cannot easily be quantified from a performance functionality point of view. But I think that still qualifies as a compromised decision from an engineering point of view, if lightweight is one legitimate priority for the aircraft. I think decisions as builder need to remain generally in alignment with the original concept, or one probably should be building a different aircraft.

My understanding from lurking here is that, aside from endurance, Li with a BMS, has become a functionally equivalent stand-in for lead acid. If light weight is one prominent priority for a given design, the 10# or so one saves, for the $200 or so it costs, is very cost effective when compared with widely accepted weight saving techniques. The real engineers have already spent a lot more than that on solutions to eliminate 10#. One of my goals as builder and supplemental designer, is to not screw up their work. I agree that impact on performance cannot be specifically quantified, but that has more to do with the nature of aviation itself. But the 10# weight reduction is objective, and it's a legitimate achievement because we do know it translates to improved performance.

I think I'll carry a small spare power source until I have personal experience with the Li technology. My single Li battery will be the only way to start the engine. I don't want to be surprised by some nuance of Li technology after landing on a gravel bar. Pmags apparently will not self excite with hand propping – they must have some external power to initialize function. The BMS in an EarthX apparently shuts off the battery under certain circumstances – need to learn more about it. Resetting the BMS requires external power. EarthX seems to have come up with this device: http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/earthx-jump-pack/

I appreciate comments questioning costs of presumptively assuming 10 amps for the EFII, when the figures might be only partially vetted or motivated by some other issue besides real engineering. If I end up going that route I will explore thoroughly.

I think no vacuum pump for this plane. Single alternator. If the battery or alternator fails, I will turn off the electrical system and navigate by tablet or smart phone. I'll use the radio on arrival at a landing site if it's operational - or not.

I don't think the SD-8 does anything but add unneeded weight to the Pmag/Bendix type injection design. I don't need additional inflight power sources with self sustaining fuel and ignition systems. I think my weakest link could be engine starting, and the SD-8 won't help with that.
I am going to focus on getting the Li done right!
Chris M

Tundra10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Power Generation without Battery? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, I asked the hand propping question of the
E-Mag Ignitions folks at AirVenture a couple of years ago.

I think the response was to carry a regular 9V battery with you, since
it would be enough to get the plane started.

That information would need to be verified and the concept would need
to be tested, and you would need an elegant way to connect it, but if
you plan to be away from civilization, it might be an elegant solution.

Jeff Page
Dream Aircraft Tundra #10
Quote:
Time: 02:52:18 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Power Generation without Battery?

<--- SNIP --->

Quote:
I think I'll carry a small spare power source until I have personal
experience with the Li technology. My single Li battery will be the
only way to start the engine. I don't want to be surprised by some
nuance of Li technology after landing on a gravel bar. Pmags
apparently will not self excite with hand propping they must have
some external power to initialize function. The BMS in an EarthX
apparently shuts off the battery under certain circumstances need
to learn more about it. Resetting the BMS requires external power.
EarthX seems to have come up with this device:
http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/earthx-jump-pack/

<--- SNIP --->

Quote:
ChrisM

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=438031#438031

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: