Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator problem?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjohnston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of trying to track down an over voltage fault.

So far the engine runs that I've been doing have been relatively short duration (mostly around 5-10min) while I'm getting the engine dialed in. On about 4 occasions I've noticed the alternator circuit has faulted for "over voltage".

I'm running a 28v electrical system
VP-X Pro
B&C LR3C voltage regulator
Kelly Aerospace 50a alternator
Continental IO-550 engine.

Vertical Power and B&C have had me check a number things. All checks have shown voltage levels, drops and wire resistance to be well within parameters.

B&C is recommending to pull the alternator and have it checked.

I"m just wondering if anyone has run into anything similar with these alternators before I pull it ship it out.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

I think it is more likely that there is a bad (intermittent) connection or faulty voltage regulator than a problem with the alternator. The best way to find a bad connection is to make voltage measurements when the circuit is under heavy load. A high wattage lamp can be used to temporarily load the circuit for voltage testing. Particular attention should be given to LR3C terminals 6 and 7 and the associated wiring. If a high wattage lamp is connected between terminals 6 & 7, the voltage between those two terminals should be close to battery voltage.
Joe

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Don,

First step is to determine if you are actually experiencing a fault or just a bad indication.

Which system is giving you the over voltage fault error? The VP, an over voltage module, something else?

Do you have a digital volt meter that remembers the highest peak voltage?

-Jeff

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, at 04:34, donjohnston <don(at)velocity-xl.com> wrote:

So far the engine runs that I've been doing have been relatively short duration (mostly around 5-10min) while I'm getting the engine dialed in. On about 4 occasions I've noticed the alternator circuit has faulted for "over voltage".

VP-X Pro

Vertical Power and B&C have had me check a number things. All checks have shown voltage levels, drops and wire resistance to be well within parameters.

I"m just wondering if anyone has run into anything similar with these alternators before I pull it ship it out.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=444057#444057

donjohnston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

As it has been explained to me, the voltage regulator is determining the fault. The VP-X is reporting the fault.

My meter has a hold feature but it's manual, not a peak hold.

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Don,
That regulator uses the "crowbar" technique to handle an over-voltage condition. Which means that it will pop its own circuit breaker to shut itself off when buss voltage gets too high.

So, is it the case that the electronic circuit breaker in the VP-X which feeds the regulator is "popping"? (I'm not very familiar w/ the VP-X so I don't know how it indicates when one of its electronic circuit breakers pops.)
Does the VP-X have an alarm channel for Over-Voltage? If so, was that alarm triggered?

-Jeff

On Friday, June 26, 2015 10:16 AM, donjohnston <don(at)velocity-xl.com> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com (don(at)velocity-xl.com)>

As it has been explained to me, the voltage regulator is determining the fault. The VP-X is reporting the fault.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/v="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank"orums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
; -Matt Dralcontribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 12:05 PM 6/26/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com>

If we were conducting this investigation
in B-31 at Beech (Flight Test) we would
get out a data acquisition system capable
gathering 5 channels of voltage at 2%
or better accuracy for 100 samples per
second or faster.

Monitor battery voltage at the battery

Monitor B-terminal voltage at the alternator

Monitor Alternator Field voltage at the
alternator

Monitor Bus Sense voltage at the regulator

Monitor Bus Voltage at the Regulator.

Then go fly and see if the problem will
duplicate.

The data traces will reveal how the major
players behave before, during and after
the event . . . and probably narrow the
options for root cause.

That regulator has 'selective ov trip'.
When an ov condition is detected, the field
voltage from the regulator MUST be high
for the ov trip to be triggered.

This logic allows more than one alternator
to parallel on a bus and avoid an ov trip
for both alternators should only one of them
mis-behave. Knowing what I do about the
hardware, it seems most likely that the ov
sensing system is being irritated by some
phenomenon in the system.

In the early days of crowbar ov system
development, we were chagrined to discover
that SOME airplanes had extra-ordinarily
significant transient sources that would
nuisance trip our regulators. Regulars
with years of satisfactory service on
thousands of airframes.

I'm not aware of recent examples of
'extra ordinary irritation' but I wouldn't
discount it.

Can you pair the ov trip even with any particular
action elsewhere in the system?

Bob . . . [quote][b]

donjohnston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Quote:
If we were conducting this investigation in B-31 at Beech (Flight Test) we would get out a data acquisition system...

Hey Bob,

Yeah, my kingdom for a DAQ that I could put on this. Sad

Quote:
Can you pair the ov trip even with any particular action elsewhere in the system?

No. Like I said, the engine runs thus far have all been short (~5 min) and I've been focusing on fuel and temp related indicators.

The engine issues have been resolved so now the engine runs should be longer and I should be able to better monitor the electrical side to identify if there's an event which precedes it or if it's random.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should pull the alternator or wait and see.

Thanks,
Don

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Quote:

Looking at the LR3C documentation, there is no output terminal dedicated to providing an over-voltage warning. Therefore the only way that the LR3C can indicate over-voltage is by the crowbar circuit shorting out terminal 6. If terminal 6 gets its power from the VP-X and not from a circuit breaker, then the VP-X should report over-current, not over-voltage. I do not know how the VP-X works, but expect that it monitors system voltage independently from the LR3C.
If the VP-X reports over-voltage, a troubleshooter might ask, is it telling the truth or lying? What is the over-voltage setpoint? How long must the voltage be over the setpoint before tripping? Can the pilot change the over-voltage setpoint?
Joe

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 7:04 AM, donjohnston <don(at)velocity-xl.com (don(at)velocity-xl.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com (don(at)velocity-xl.com)>

> If we were conducting this investigation in B-31 at Beech (Flight Test) we would get out a data acquisition system...

Hey Bob,

> Can you pair the ov trip even with any particular action elsewhere in the system?

No. Like I said, the engine runs thus far have all been short (~5 min) and I've been focusing on fuel and temp related indicators.

The engine issues have been resolved so now the engine runs should be longer and I should be able to better monitor the electrical side to identify if there's an event which precedes it or if it's random.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should pull the alternator or wait and see.

Thanks,
Don

Pardon my density, but with an externally regulated alternator, how is it possible for the alternator itself to be the cause of overvoltage? Isn't it just a few coils of wire on some iron? It can't produce any significant voltage at all without field current supplied by the regulator, right? It's hard for me to envision any fault within the alternator that would produce *higher* than design voltage. Any short or open circuit inside the alternator should produce either lower or no voltage output, unless I'm missing something.
Charlie

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Good question Charlie. I also want to know what can go wrong with an externally regulated alternator that would cause over voltage.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 08:35 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Good question Charlie. I also want to know what can go wrong with an externally regulated alternator that would cause over voltage.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Cogent questions gentlemen. The short answer is,
it can't. The long answer is that the transfer
function of voltage control in some regulators
doesn't handle brush-bounce well. This can
COMBINE with poor design of the OV trip system
to create some vexing symptoms. I can relate a
first hand-experience with OV trips in brand new
airplanes that go back over 30 years . . . with
engineers in three institutions pointing fingers
at each other while your's truly kept reminding
them of the obvious. That problem was only
recently solved by a long recommended replacement
of a regulator that should not have been qualified
onto the airplane in the first place.

If and LR3 is manifesting poor response to
brush-bounce, this will be a first in my experience.
It would be the collision of THREE conditions, each
at the extremes of their production tolerances,
or perhaps a manufacturing error.

I think this quite improbable but easy to check
with the swapping of one of the two waring factions.
The regulator probably being the easiest. There
are some peek, poke and ponder exercises to
conducted before we play swap-tronics.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 07:04 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
Quote:

> If we were conducting this investigation in B-31 at Beech (Flight Test) we would get out a data acquisition system...

Hey Bob,

The Force is in sympathy with you. Paul Fisher
and I will be stirring this into the list of
things to do . . . as soon as we clear the decks
of another commitment . . . probably after
OSH. The availability of off-the-shelf DAS
hardware and supporting graphical user
interface leaves no excuses for not crafting
a suite of hardware that addresses capabilities
we've dreamed about here on the List for 20
years.

There's no 'hard' work to be done here . . .
only assemble off the shelf stuff into
useful tools. It's all about the packaging.

By the way, this is not a state secret project.
If any members on the List have ECB layout
capabilities and reasonable skills at slinging
solder, contact me off-list and we'll see how
your skill-set offer might fit into this
project.

I'm contemplating this becoming a tool for
DIY efforts, perhaps a tool that could be rented
and shipped around the country as needed, and
it certainly has possibilities as an article
for KitPlanes.

The time for OBAM aviation to acquire routine
access to low cost measurement tools arrived a few
years ago and we were asleep at the keyboard.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

donjohnston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

I'll try an answer with either what I know or what I've been told:

The VP-X monitors the system voltage. When it hits 32v, it shuts off the power to the field and reports an overvoltage fault. (see attached)

I don't know exactly where it's monitoring the system voltage. I would guess at it's connection to the system bus.

The only "adjustment" to the overvoltage trigger level is whether it's installed in a 14v or 28v system. On a 28v system, the OV trigger is hard set at 32v.

Vertical Power offered to bench check the VP-X. But since this is early in the game, I was hoping to get some more ideas and data before going down that road.

Speaking of data, I did run across this little guy:
DataQ Instruments DI-149
http://www.dataq.com/products/di-149/index.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwk7msBRCJj67khY2z_NIBEiQAPTFjv9iqePcOkNiAMApB_amhAfmVZ-fp0KOI3tHOgpWA9VoaAnUa8P8HAQ

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to identify what's happening.

IMG_20150603 (Large)(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.97 KB
 Viewed:  12270 Time(s)

IMG_20150603 (Large)(1).jpg

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Instead of impossible, I'd venture 'incredibly unlikely'. As in more
probable that I'll be hit by lightning before I send this. However I can
envision a scenario where a stray bit of internal debris shorts some
alternator output over to the field coil. Even less likely here where
the situation appears to be intermittent.
The question was asked but since it is not even worth consideration at
this point, I'm going to add

do not archive

Ken

On 27/06/2015 10:29 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:
At 08:35 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
>
>
> Good question Charlie. I also want to know what can go wrong with an
> externally regulated alternator that would cause over voltage.
> Joe
>
> --------
> Joe Gores

Cogent questions gentlemen. The short answer is,
it can't. The long answer is that the transfer
function of voltage control in some regulators
doesn't handle brush-bounce well. This can
COMBINE with poor design of the OV trip system
to create some vexing symptoms. I can relate a
first hand-experience with OV trips in brand new
airplanes that go back over 30 years . . . with
engineers in three institutions pointing fingers
at each other while your's truly kept reminding
them of the obvious. That problem was only
recently solved by a long recommended replacement
of a regulator that should not have been qualified
onto the airplane in the first place.

If and LR3 is manifesting poor response to
brush-bounce, this will be a first in my experience.
It would be the collision of THREE conditions, each
at the extremes of their production tolerances,
or perhaps a manufacturing error.

I think this quite improbable but easy to check
with the swapping of one of the two waring factions.
The regulator probably being the easiest. There
are some peek, poke and ponder exercises to
conducted before we play swap-tronics.

Bob . . .

etienne.phillips(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Have you considered using the Red Pitaya as a base for signal gathering? It's an open source DAQ that already has a lot of the hard work done. It's not dirt cheap ($320) but may offer a quick route to a portable, rentable or EAA chapter own-able device that would fit the bill.
Check out www.redpitaya.com 
Thanks
Etienne
On 27 June 2015 at 16:39, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
[quote] At 07:04 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
Quote:

Hey Bob,

The Force is in sympathy with you. Paul Fisher
  and I will be stirring this into the list of
  things to do . . . as soon as we clear the decks
  of another commitment . . . probably after
  OSH.  The availability of off-the-shelf DAS
  hardware and supporting graphical user
  interface leaves no excuses for not crafting
  a suite of hardware that addresses capabilities
  we've dreamed about here on the List for 20
  years.

There's no 'hard' work to be done here . . .
  only assemble off the shelf stuff into
  useful tools. It's all about the packaging.

By the way, this is not a state secret project.
  If any members on the List have ECB layout
  capabilities and reasonable skills at slinging
  solder, contact me off-list and we'll see how
  your skill-set offer might fit into this
  project.

I'm contemplating this becoming a tool for
  DIY efforts, perhaps a tool that could be rented
  and shipped around the country as needed, and
  it certainly has possibilities as an article
  for KitPlanes.

The time for OBAM aviation to acquire routine
  access to low cost measurement tools arrived a few
  years ago and we were asleep at the keyboard.

Bob . . .
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 06:34 AM 6/26/2015, you wrote:

VP-X Pro

How are your LR3 and VPX system configured? The
LR3 is fitted with crowbar OV protection. If I
understand your symptoms, it's an OV sense and
protection function within the VPX that tripping?
Can you de-program the VPX ov function? Or raise
it's trip point to some big number? You don't need
TWO ov protection systems.

Quote:

In the great spaghetti-mix that is aviation
accessories, marketing and business models,
it's difficult to keep track of who's alternator
is being built by whom and with what, if any,
improvements.

The alternators involved in the three-decade saga
of new airplane OV trips were the occasionally-unfair
targets of accusatory assertions . . . but they
DID demonstrate varying degrees of brush-bounce
that often faded to acceptable levels after the first
20 hours or so of operation. For a time, brand new
alternators were being pulled off engines to be
'broke in' on a test stand before being re-installed.
A poorly understood work-around for what was a fundamental
design flaw in the regulator.

The whole legacy family of gear-driven alternators
for Continental engines have been the subject
of numerous 'investigations' . . . to this very day
. . . in spite of the fact that the car-builders
put those issues to bed three or four decades ago.
Such is the plight of consumers deprived of choices
outside the bounds of the cookie-cutter TC airplane
business.

Given what I DO KNOW about that family
of alternators and what I DO NOT know about the
VPX OV sense and response philosophy, it may well
be that your symptoms have root cause in
conditions not unlike those I've described
earlier in this thread. The problem may have
nothing to do with the LR3 and everything to
do with a discontinuity in assembly of
simple-ideas that govern performance.

Quote:

I have seen NO requirements that quantify, put
limits on or offer diagnosis tools for the detection
of brush bounce in airplane alternators. I've never
been able to measure it on the test bench . . .
the only way I could strengthen the hypothesis that it
existed was to add a filter to the field terminals of
the alternator and demonstrating that the problem
went away.

The filter only protected the poorly designed
ov sense system from a noise that was common to
and present in most alternators as a matter of
simple physics . . . noise so small that it was
difficult to detect amongst the other noises (All
well within MIL-STD-704 recommendations).

Just for grins, we could craft a little filter
assembly to jury-rig to the back of your alternator.
This experiment is not without risk of the
various participants 'relaxing' because your
particular manifestation went away. If
brush noise is indeed root to your symptoms,
it's indication of a fundamental design deficiency
in the ov sense system . . . NOT THE ALTERNATOR.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 10:06 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: C&K <yellowduckduo(at)gmail.com>

Instead of impossible, I'd venture 'incredibly unlikely'. As in more probable that I'll be hit by lightning before I send this. However I can envision a scenario where a stray bit of internal debris shorts some alternator output over to the field coil. Even less likely here where the situation appears to be intermittent.
The question was asked but since it is not even worth consideration at this point, I'm going to add

Actually, Mooney experienced just such an event
back about 1980. I recall peering into the teardown
of an alternator that should have got some
combination of craftsmen and inspectors fired.

So it's not totally outside the realm of possibility.
But yes . . . in this ISO9000 world of 'perfection'
it should be exceedingly remote.

I wish I could remember the name of the engineer
I interacted with at Mooney. A solidly grounded,
common sense fellow with an airs of personality
that put a lot of people off. He had a small, red,
rubber coated steel mallet on which he inscribed
the non de plume, "PATIENCE".

I never witness it personally, but he was renowned
for expressing occasional bouts of frustration
by abusing the corner of his desk with "Patience".
Indeed, there were markings in the finish that
attested to his vice. He proved to be one of my
most valuable collaborators over those years.

On numerous occasions since, I have wondered
if there would be value in acquiring a "Son of
Patience". On further reflection, pounding on
a conference room table with a red hammer these
days would probably get me a visit from a host
of stern faced folks 'concerned' about my ability
to integrate in the modern culture.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

At 11:04 AM 6/27/2015, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob

Have you considered using the Red Pitaya as a base for signal gathering? It's an open source DAQ that already has a lot of the hard work done. It's not dirt cheap ($320) but may offer a quick route to a portable, rentable or EAA chapter own-able device that would fit the bill.

Check out www.redpitaya.comÂ

Thanks
Etienne

To be sure, you've discovered one of a host
of potential possibilities. My current thoughts
are based on a VERY low cost DAS device I mentioned
here on the List a few days ago.

http://tinyurl.com/nvduk9x

For what ever it may lack in capability, you
sure can't argue about the price . . . especially
since it comes with a capable graphical user
interface and writes data to tabular files
for analysis with other tools.

I'm thinking of dropping this device onto a
'mother board' fitted with, what we'll have to
deduce, a useful collection of signal conditioners
for voltage, current, pressure, temperatures, etc.

Theres a REALLY handy current transducer with
great accuracy and frequency response

http://tinyurl.com/p9fk8po

The 6A version is easily adapted to sense currents
from hundreds of milliamps to hundreds of amps. Voltage
signal conditioning is easy. Temperature is easy in
the realm of solid state tranducers up to 100C, but
a channel of K thermocouple data would probably be good
too.

Pressure 4-20 mA pressure transducers are COTS
items.

I've got $hundreds$ in DAS equipment on the
shelf that I've used to great advantage in the
TC world . . . but too complex to install/operate/
resolve in the OBAM world. This is an exercise
in extracting lab grade data from a KISS box.
Need to make this so $low$ and simple that fewer
folk in the OBAM market are put off by the expense
risk and willing to try it for themselves.

This is the rolling-stock-consist for a train of ideas in
the current pot of idea-stew. I'm 'seeing' a board
about 2.5 x 3.5 inches that would mount the pic-stick
and 5-8 channels of signal conditioning for a BOM cost on
the order of $50-60.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

donjohnston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:

In the great spaghetti-mix that is aviation
accessories, marketing and business models,
it's difficult to keep track of who's alternator
is being built by whom and with what, if any,
improvements.

All I can say with certainty is that the P/N of the alternator is 646843. According to what I've been able to determine it's a TCM 60a alternator. I was told that line of business was sold to Kelly Aerospace.

Quote:
The alternators involved in the three-decade saga of new airplane OV trips were the occasionally-unfair targets of accusatory assertions . . . but they DID demonstrate varying degrees of brush-bounce that often faded to acceptable levels after the first 20 hours or so of operation.

You just went over my head with "brush-bounce". Sad

Quote:
Given what I DO KNOW about that family of alternators and what I DO NOT know about the VPX OV sense and response philosophy, it may well be that your symptoms have root cause in conditions not unlike those I've described earlier in this thread. The problem may have nothing to do with the LR3 and everything to do with a discontinuity in assembly of simple-ideas that govern performance.

If this means that it's possible that I did something wrong putting this system together, there is absolutely no doubt about that! Smile
If so, can you give me some idea of where I may have a disconnection in the "discontinuity in assembly of simple-ideas that govern performance"

Quote:
Just for grins, we could craft a little filter assembly to jury-rig to the back of your alternator. This experiment is not without risk of the various participants 'relaxing' because your particular manifestation went away. If brush noise is indeed root to your symptoms, it's indication of a fundamental design deficiency in the ov sense system . . . NOT THE ALTERNATOR.

I'm all for grins! Can you give me an idea where to get or how to build this filter?

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator problem? Reply with quote

Directions for making a filter:
http://www.sanantoniohams.org/tips/whine.htm
Quote:
You just went over my head with "brush-bounce".
Alternators have bushes that ride on slip rings. If the rings are not concentric, the brushes will move up and down in their holders.

Quote:
can you give me some idea of where I may have a disconnection in the "discontinuity in assembly of simple-ideas that govern performance
I get the impression that Bob is inferring that he does not trust the VP-X.

I suggest that instead of pulling the alternator, that you replace the voltage regulator with a generic Ford VR166 or equivalent. There is a list in Bob's book. The over-voltage and low voltage features of the LR3 are not needed in your application if the VP-X provides over-voltage and the EFIS gives low voltage warning.
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: