Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator B-lead circuit protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan(at)syz.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have a quick question with regards to protecting alternator B-leads.

A lot of people do so with ANL fuses, yet I know some aircraft (like my C150) do so with a circuit breaker. Of course, a disadvantage of the ANL is that if it blew while on a trip, after fixing whatever caused the problem, a person would have to source a new fuse which could result in the aircraft being grounded waiting for one to be shipped (are ANL fuses that easy to find? I'm in Canada, so my usual sources of parts are Aircraft Spruce, which doesn't seem to carry them, or "chain" stores like Canadian Tire, which doesn't seem to either. Though it does appear that Digikey carries them, so at least there is a source here without having to go through the customs hassles of ordering from somewhere like B&C). The natural advantage of a circuit breaker, of course, is that it can be reset without replacing things once the problem is fixed.

But I don't like much the idea of bringing B-leads into the area behind the panel, or even into the cockpit for that matter, and am unsure as to whether a circuit breaker would cause more problems than it prevents due to nuisance trips. I know it's not "conventionally" done, but is there any problem with locating a B-lead circuit breaker under the cowling in the engine compartment if a person were to go the circuit breaker route? After all, if a B-lead were to have a current spike tripping the fuse or breaker, the cowling would likely have to be pulled anyway to see what's going on.

Or is it better to just go the fuse route? And if so, any advantages of ANL over MIDI style?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
President, Syzygy Research & Technology
Phone: 780-961-2213

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

My tool bag carries them!  They are cheap enough and small enough to bring a spare or two along, as to help mitigate that concern.
[quote]could result in the aircraft being grounded waiting for one to be shipped (are ANL fuses that easy to find?  I'm in Canada, so my usual sources of parts are Aircraft Spruce, which doesn't seem to carry them, or "chain" stores like Canadian Tire, which doesn't seem to either.  [b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

I've used a circuit breaker or maxi fuse with 40 amp alternators when
the battery is in the fuselage.
I would hesitate to use a C/B on the hot side of the FW since they are
likely more sensitive to the surrounding environment than fuses or an ANL.
Many automotive audio system vendors stock ANLs and they can always be
hotwired making them into essentially a fusable link.
Ken

On 07/08/2015 4:41 AM, Dan Charrois wrote:
Quote:

Hi everyone. I have a quick question with regards to protecting alternator B-leads.

A lot of people do so with ANL fuses, yet I know some aircraft (like my C150) do so with a circuit breaker. Of course, a disadvantage of the ANL is that if it blew while on a trip, after fixing whatever caused the problem, a person would have to source a new fuse which could result in the aircraft being grounded waiting for one to be shipped (are ANL fuses that easy to find? I'm in Canada, so my usual sources of parts are Aircraft Spruce, which doesn't seem to carry them, or "chain" stores like Canadian Tire, which doesn't seem to either. Though it does appear that Digikey carries them, so at least there is a source here without having to go through the customs hassles of ordering from somewhere like B&C). The natural advantage of a circuit breaker, of course, is that it can be reset without replacing things once the problem is fixed.

But I don't like much the idea of bringing B-leads into the area behind the panel, or even into the cockpit for that matter, and am unsure as to whether a circuit breaker would cause more problems than it prevents due to nuisance trips. I know it's not "conventionally" done, but is there any problem with locating a B-lead circuit breaker under the cowling in the engine compartment if a person were to go the circuit breaker route? After all, if a B-lead were to have a current spike tripping the fuse or breaker, the cowling would likely have to be pulled anyway to see what's going on.

Or is it better to just go the fuse route? And if so, any advantages of ANL over MIDI style?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
Phone: 780-961-2213

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

I used a CB mounted in the engine compartment.

I had a 60 amp alternator and went to a 70 amp alternator. I did not change
the CB (you see what is coming). On a long trip back East (from Utah), I
had the CB trip twice in flight. I did not think I could draw 60
amps......but I can. So when I got back I upgraded to a 70 amp CB.....no
trips since.

I have two batteries on board and on reduced load can go an entire flight
without the alternator.

Rene'
801-721-6080

--

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

If the ANL fuse is sized right and the terminals are kept tight, it should never blow unless there is a bigger problem. There is less to go wrong with a fuse compared to a circuit breaker. I would use a fuse located near the contactors.
The protective device does not have to be resetable for once in a lifetime event.
Joe

tomhanaway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

I agree that if a properly sized ANL fuse blows, you've probably got bigger problems.
However, I just carry a spare one in my kit

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2015, at 9:23 AM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

If the ANL fuse is sized right and the terminals are kept tight, it should never blow unless there is a bigger problem. There is less to go wrong with a fuse compared to a circuit breaker. I would use a fuse located near the contactors.
The protective device does not have to be resetable for once in a lifetime event.
Joe

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445669#445669

ARGOLDMAN(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection Reply with quote

Uh- Yep

When discharged the battery will immediately take all of the available alternator current if you have underrated the breaker, it will break.

The breaker, in any circuit should be sized to protect the wire, not the deliverer of electrons nor those things that use them.

Rich

In a message dated 8/7/2015 8:03:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time, rene(at)felker.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Rene" <rene(at)felker.com>

I used a CB mounted in the engine compartment.

I had a 60 amp alternator and went to a 70 amp alternator. I did not change
the CB (you see what is coming). On a long trip back East (from Utah), I
had the CB trip twice in flight. I did not think I could draw 60
amps......but I can. So when I got back I upgraded to a 70 amp CB.....no
trips since.

I have two batteries on board and on reduced load can go an entire flight
without the alternator.

Rene'
801-721-6080

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Charrois
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2015 2:41 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Alternator B-lead circuit protection

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dan Charrois <dan(at)syz.com>

Hi everyone. I have a quick question with regards to protecting alternator
B-leads.

A lot of people do so with ANL fuses, yet I know some aircraft (like my
C150) do so with a circuit breaker. Of course, a disadvantage of the ANL is
that if it blew while on a trip, after fixing whatever caused the problem, a
person would have to source a new fuse which could result in the aircraft
being grounded waiting for one to be shipped (are ANL fuses that easy to
find? I'm in Canada, so my usual sources of parts are Aircraft Spruce,
which doesn't seem to carry them, or "chain" stores like Canadian Tire,
which doesn't seem to either. Though it does appear that Digikey carries
them, so at least there is a source here without having to go through the
customs hassles of ordering from somewhere like B&C). The natural advantage
of a circuit breaker, of course, is that it can be reset without replacing
things once the problem is fixed.

But I don't like much the idea of bringing B-leads into the area behind the
panel, or even into the cockpit for that matter, and am unsure as to whether
a circuit breaker would cause more problems than it prevents due to nuisance
trips. I know it's not "conventionally" done, but is there any problem with
locating a B-lead circuit breaker under the cowling in the engine
compartment if a person were to go the circuit breaker route? After all, if
a B-lead were to have a current spike tripping the fuse or breaker, the
cowling would likely have to be pulled anyway to see what's going on.

Or is it better to just go the fuse route?  And if so, any advantages of ANL
over MIDI style?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
Phone: ================================================= Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: