Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Hi,

I've set the Airmaster Controller for a cruise of 4800 RPM. That works good at low altitudes.

However, when I go up high (highest was FL 180 by now), I have to reduce throttle in cruise to not over rev the engine (at least to stay below MCP of 5500 RPM).

I read about some US-Europa-owners also flying high frequently.

Is there any course pitch stop-setting to recommend for high altitudes (any rule of thump maybe)?

I think, that the Warp Drive blades are not first choice for high altitude but that's another story.

Thanks
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
klinefelter.kevin(at)gmai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

You say you set the controller to 4800 for cruise. Is that in manual mode? The factory setting is 5100 I think, which is the minimum cruise RPM recommended.

I think you might want to refer to the airmaster manual.

Kevin

Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, at 10:46 PM, Roland <schmidtroland(at)web.de> wrote:

Hi,

I've set the Airmaster Controller for a cruise of 4800 RPM. That works good at low altitudes.

However, when I go up high (highest was FL 180 by now), I have to reduce throttle in cruise to not over rev the engine (at least to stay below MCP of 5500 RPM).

I read about some US-Europa-owners also flying high frequently.

Is there any course pitch stop-setting to recommend for high altitudes (any rule of thump maybe)?

I think, that the Warp Drive blades are not first choice for high altitude but that's another story.

Thanks
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=447837#447837

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altit Reply with quote

My Airmaster gives 5000 rpm when set to Auto and Cruise. I've been using this excellent propeller hub for over 15 years and had it first inspected, then modified for the wider blades after fitting a 100hp engine. I've never seen anything written which states that you can't set the coarse pitch stop for less than 5000 in manual cruise.

My Rotax 912ULS isn't fitted with a turbo and therefore can't be "over-boosted" no matter how low the rpm. The only sensible constraint I was given about setting the coarse stop, was to ensure that if stuck at the coarse limit for some reason, then in the event of having to go around late on final approach, the aircraft should still be able to climb safely at low rpm with full throttle, flaps down and heavily laden. This is easily done at low airfield elevations, with the coarse pitch stop set to allow 4700 rpm in my normal 115 - 120 kt cruise.

I can't see the point of being allowed to cruise fast using lots of power while not being allowed to enjoy the benefit of a quieter engine running at lower, quieter rpm. It doesn't make sense when considering that this touring aircraft should be set up to benefit from quieter engine operations, to afford the occupants a more restful flight and also safer due to reduced noise distraction.

For many years I have cruised far and wide at around 120 knots with the rpm set manually to around 4700 with no ill effects. The reduction in noise generated by taking the rpm 300 lower is very agreeable.

dg.watts(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Jonathan,

I totally agree with all you say.

At 1,100 hours and 100 hours after changing my engine to the 912S, I fitted the Airmaster propeller.

I immediately set the cruise pitch to 4700rpm through a connection with my computer and I have now done 1,100 hours with this setup and I am completely happy with it.

I usually cruise at between 24 and 25 inches manifold pressure which gives a lovely smooth and quiet performance and opening up to 26 inches gives me 140 knots cruise.

I have tested it fully loaded and found that I can leave it in cruise setting and climb at just over 500 fpm after take off, fully satisfying any LAA requirements.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Monowheel 2,200 hours

Quote:
On 13 Oct 2015, at 20:19, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

My Airmaster gives 5000 rpm when set to Auto and Cruise. I've been using this excellent propeller hub for over 15 years and had it first inspected, then modified for the wider blades after fitting a 100hp engine. I've never seen anything written which states that you can't set the coarse pitch stop for less than 5000 in manual cruise.

My Rotax 912ULS isn't fitted with a turbo and therefore can't be "over-boosted" no matter how low the rpm. The only sensible constraint I was given about setting the coarse stop, was to ensure that if stuck at the coarse limit for some reason, then in the event of having to go around late on final approach, the aircraft should still be able to climb safely at low rpm with full throttle, flaps down and heavily laden. This is easily done at low airfield elevations, with the coarse pitch stop set to allow 4700 rpm in my normal 115 - 120 kt cruise.

I can't see the point of being allowed to cruise fast using lots of power while not being allowed to enjoy the benefit of a quieter engine running at lower, quieter rpm. It doesn't make sense when considering that this touring aircraft should be set up to benefit from quieter engine operations to afford the occupants a more restful flight and also safer due to reduced noise distraction.

For many years I have cruised far and wide at around 120 knots with the rpm set manually to around 4700 with no ill effects. The reduction in noise generated by taking the rpm 300 lower is very agreeable.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=447899#447899

iancook_1(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Dave,
Have you got any details of how to connect and set up the 4700 using
the computer? I would love to do this on my MG as the VNE is only 126kts
with the motor glider wings fitted.

Ian Cook
G-CBHI

--

dg.watts(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Ian,

You need the connector lead from Airmaster and a Serial connection lead for your computer.

You then need to download the software from the Airmaster website which comes with all the instructions regarding what to do.

Dave Watts

[quote] On 13 Oct 2015, at 21:27, Ian Cook <iancook_1(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Dave,
Have you got any details of how to connect and set up the 4700 using
the computer? I would love to do this on my MG as the VNE is only 126kts
with the motor glider wings fitted.

Ian Cook
G-CBHI

--

iancook_1(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Thanks Dave I will contact Martin.

Regards

Ian

--

bryannortje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altitude Reply with quote

Hi David

I too would like to make some adjustments to my set up. Where does one get the required lead to make the changes?

Thanks
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 13 Oct 2015, at 21:14, David Watts <dg.watts(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Jonathan,

I totally agree with all you say.

At 1,100 hours and 100 hours after changing my engine to the 912S, I fitted the Airmaster propeller.

I immediately set the cruise pitch to 4700rpm through a connection with my computer and I have now done 1,100 hours with this setup and I am completely happy with it.

I usually cruise at between 24 and 25 inches manifold pressure which gives a lovely smooth and quiet performance and opening up to 26 inches gives me 140 knots cruise.

I have tested it fully loaded and found that I can leave it in cruise setting and climb at just over 500 fpm after take off, fully satisfying any LAA requirements.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Monowheel 2,200 hours

> On 13 Oct 2015, at 20:19, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>
> My Airmaster gives 5000 rpm when set to Auto and Cruise. I've been using this excellent propeller hub for over 15 years and had it first inspected, then modified for the wider blades after fitting a 100hp engine. I've never seen anything written which states that you can't set the coarse pitch stop for less than 5000 in manual cruise.
>
> My Rotax 912ULS isn't fitted with a turbo and therefore can't be "over-boosted" no matter how low the rpm. The only sensible constraint I was given about setting the coarse stop, was to ensure that if stuck at the coarse limit for some reason, then in the event of having to go around late on final approach, the aircraft should still be able to climb safely at low rpm with full throttle, flaps down and heavily laden. This is easily done at low airfield elevations, with the coarse pitch stop set to allow 4700 rpm in my normal 115 - 120 kt cruise.
>
> I can't see the point of being allowed to cruise fast using lots of power while not being allowed to enjoy the benefit of a quieter engine running at lower, quieter rpm. It doesn't make sense when considering that this touring aircraft should be set up to benefit from quieter engine operations to afford the occupants a more restful flight and also safer due to reduced noise distraction.
>
> For many years I have cruised far and wide at around 120 knots with the rpm set manually to around 4700 with no ill effects. The reduction in noise generated by taking the rpm 300 lower is very agreeable.
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=447899#447899

Roland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altit Reply with quote

That's what the operator's manual for the 914 says:

Run the engine in accordance with the following tabel.

RPM MAP inHg Percent of power Throttle position
5800 40” 100% Power (Full Throttle) 115% Throttle Position
5500 35” 85% Power (Maximum Cruise) 100% Throttle Position
5000 31” 75% Power (Normal Cruise) Approx. 85% Throttle Position.
4800 29” 65% Power (Economy Cruise) Approx. 65% Throttle Position

However my question was concerning the course pitch stop adjustment, which is not to overcome by the controller, not on auto and neither on manual. This prevents the controller currently from setting the blades to a courser pitch.

Anyhow I got an answer from Martin from Airmaster recommending to turn the course pitch stop cam 2 turns anticlockwise. I think I'll start with this....

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altit Reply with quote

Dave,

Very interesting, thanks. It never occurred to me to change the Auto Cruise setting by means of software alteration. I opted for electro-mechanical adjustment by the coarse micro-switch in the hub until I achieved 4700 rpm at 120 kts cruise in Manual. Actually this task is made simpler by starting from a coarse pitch setting angle given by Airmaster (as I recall) which puts you near the middle of the ball-park. Thereafter only a minor adjustment or two are needed for accuracy.

This method has the safety advantage of making it near-impossible for a controller/computer fault to push the pitch too far into the coarse range, making a baulked landing go-around dangerous (no climb or worse).

I left the Airmaster factory settings unchanged for take-off +/- 5750, climb +/- 5450 and cruise +/- 5000. In my mind these settings are analogous to first gear, second gear, third gear and higher "gears" are achieved by selecting Manual and beeping with the rocker switch.

Similarly the fine pitch micro-switch in the hub should be set so that when in manual at about 60 knots and Wide Open Throttle, it shouldn't be possible to beep with the rocker switch to push the rpm above 5800, thereby preventing damage to the engine.

I believe that you should regard the computer/controller governed T/O-Climb-Cruise settings as "nice to have" but not essential. With the hub Coarse and Fine micro-switch stops properly set as suggested above, you are then set up to fly safely in Manual, regardless of software glitches.

Rick Moss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Course pitch stop setting Airmaster AP332 for high altit Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting you do this, but I have on occasion when flying at altitude and wishing to drop the revs:

If you select "manual", and then hold the "feather" toggle down, you can use the manual pitch rocker switch to select a pitch coarser than the coarse stop.

Obviously don't do this in "auto", especially with the blue knob set to "feather"!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: