Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transponder and ADS Antenna Mounting Location Questions For

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Transponder and ADS Antenna Mounting Location Questions For Reply with quote

Thanks the feedback on the other threads I started…I will combine both questions here.

Does anybody have any advice on what I should do with respect to mounting my transponder and ADS-B antennae?

I have a flying Velocity that I am doing a complete rewire because I am installing a Dynon Skyview system.  Since the airplane is already completed I cannot get too creative with installing antennas in the wings or wing tips and some of the installations so in some instances I am stuck with what I got.

The airplane has existing antennae mounted in the wings for VHF NAV and COM and it also has a single transponder monopole antenna mounted on the copilot side aft floorboard (under the rear seat).  This antenna is mounted in a way that the antenna is mounted to the bottom of the airplane (sticking strait down) and the connector end of the antenna sticks up through the fuselage floor and it is mounted to the corner of an egg shaped ground plane (why they used egg shape instead of square/rectangle I do not know…perhaps a scrap piece of metal was laying around).   Attached is a PDF showing a picture.

I have installed a radio rack in the copilot side of the nose compartment directly on top of the canard.  I need to try to avoid locating the antenna up front because on the pilot side of the nose compartment is the ADHRS units and they have the magnetometer. 

Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter
408-464-1902

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2016 1:03 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Transponder ADSB Transponder Antenna

They need to be 5' apart in most cases.

Tim
On May 22, 2016, at 2:08 PM, William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Is it ok to install the ADS-B and transponder antenna in the same location?

I have a composite aircraft and there is a ground plane installed on the floorboard of the real plane and it already has the transponder antenna located there…I would like to install the ADS-B antenna there.

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

ANTENNA.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ANTENNA.pdf
 Filesize:  1.86 MB
 Downloaded:  214 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transponder and ADS Antenna Mounting Location Questions Reply with quote

Assuming that you are installing the SV-XPNDR-261, why not use the existing transponder antenna? Since the original transponder worked OK with that egg shaped ground plane, that reinforces my post that shape and size makes a theoretical difference, but is not critical in real life.
The SV-ADSB-470 antenna is receive only. It will not affect the operation of ADAHRS or Magnetometer. Keep the ADSB-470 antenna away from other transmitting antennas, especially the transponder antenna.
The SV-ADSB-470 receives 978 only, not 1090. If you are out of range of an ADS-B ground station (maybe in a traffic pattern), you will not see traffic transmitting ADS-B out on 1090, i.e., other SkyView transponders. Dynon needs to offer a dual band ADS-B receiver.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: