Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono undercarriage lubrication?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonSmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Mono undercarriage lubrication? Reply with quote

Should one periodically lubricate the aluminium bronze pivot bearings that the undercarriage swinging arm mounts and pivots on the engine/ undercarriage frame? Maybe with a squirt of light oil? And the oilite bushes in the shock absorber rubber block top and bottom plates - and all other moving parts for that matter?
Cheers, Jon

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mono undercarriage lubrication? Reply with quote

Jon,

I was hoping Bud or Nev or Nigel would reply to this post as they have a lot of experience. The manual doesn't provide much instruction about lubrication. What we have found is that most moving parts require lubrication. We use a spray lubricant purchased at a DIY store that supposedly leaves a teflon barrier for most places including those swing arm bushes. We also use it on all hinges, door mechanism, shoot bolts, rod ends and bearings (these last two probably are unnecessary since they should be lubed and sealed for life). We use a heavy anti seize paste on sliding connections, especially the torque tubes into the tailplanes and the front and rear pins on the wings. We also lube all pip pins with anti seize. It makes a mess but it is easy to disassemble next time! We installed door locks and we lube them with lock lube, a graphite lube available at DIY stores.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JonSmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mono undercarriage lubrication? Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for your thoughts on this. I too like to keep everything well lubricated where possible, just have never been too sure about the swinging arm bearings and the shock absorber block oilite bushes! I think I remembered long ago reading somewhere that the bushes were sort of self lubricating - but that might well be rubbish - I just can't remember! I'll take your advice and spray a bit of oil on them.
I trailer and rig each time so don't have the problem of wings/ tailplanes seizing in position, I just (often) use regular grease for those parts which seems to work well.
Thanks again, Jon

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Mono undercarriage lubrication? Reply with quote

Jim and Jon,
As you said Jim, there isn't much written but corrosion control is a continuous battle as is wear.

I have always used Corrosion X Aviation on steel I wish to keep bare. Problem is you have to do it fairly often. A couple times a year is recommended on exposed parts. It does not leave a waxy film, so it is less messy.

Just like you Jim, I use a Lithium type spray lube with teflon as I can't reach anything in that mono wheel well easily. Anything that pivots or rotates gets a shot. Corrosion X is a lube but I like something thicker I can see that sticks.
Wheel bearings I pack in Aeroshell 22 including the Airmaster prop so I only need one grease. However consult with Timken bearings and Airmaster product literature for other recommended greases for different temperatures and or wet conditions.

Any brass or oil lite bushing gets straight machine oil or a thin spray of the white lithium.

As you know I do a 25 hour, so I wash the airplane, fly it to dry it off, pull the stabs, lube the stab tube and fittings with Aeroshell 22 and squirt Corrosion X into the tube where it rusts on the end. Corrosion X on the pins and a drop of oil on the throttle pivot clamps. Your idea of anti seize isn't a bad idea due to the dissimilar metals.

All hinges get a thin machine oil at a minimum and on annual get a thorough lube with Corrosion X. All MW type bearings get a drop of oil. Internal MWs get oil on the annual.
The mono wheel and spark plugs get anti seize on install. The mono LG25 and 26 should have anti seize in my opinion or you may not be able to get them free when doing a tire change in the field.

At the 10 year point, the MW4 and 5 can be lubricated by unscrewing them and putting a dab of grease in the threaded hole and screw them back in and listen for the grease to squeeze out as there is a small hole just for that in the base. Then wipe the excess off. Normally just a bit of light weight oil every year is enough though. I'm in Florida and it is a corrosion nightmare down here, so I lube often.

Don't forget to keep the prop flange free of corrosion and the engine needs some TLC also. Keep up on those steel screws which corrode without some protection.
The turbo gets penetrating oil and cycled a few times as it always gets squeaky around 25 hours.

You Classic owners, your exhaust system has stainless upper tubes and plane steel on the lower. Consider using exhaust paint or header paint on the lower muffler to prevent rust through.

AC 43 is my bible, but as you all know, everyone has a better idea. As for me, ANY LUBE is better than none. The same was the advice from John and Roger. Grease on bearings and oil on the rest.

Avoid off the shelf WD 40 general purpose squirt oil as it is designed for WATER DISPLACEMENT and as a light weight lube but it does wash off easily and seems to actually clean the part so it rusts better. WD 40 products do make lubricants for many applications. Consult their website.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

--

JonSmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mono undercarriage lubrication? Reply with quote

Bud, thank you very much for this - useful advice much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: