Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of 601XL Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2thesky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

I was just wondering what some of you guys running 912S and Jab3300 engines are seeing for empty weights on completed XL's. Also, how does the 3300 compare to the 912 for fuel consumption? And lastly, A guy told me that the XL was a VERY tail heavy airplane and that a 912S and my "pleasantly plump" frame would be a bad idea. I weigh in at 255, (down from 305) but I am planning to get below 215 and then order a kit as a reward to myself. Problem is that some of my buddies are fat like I am now. The way I figure it for example's sake is that if the factory claims of 600 pounds of useful are true, then two hefties at 500 lbs total still leaves 100lbs for fuel. OR does that create a dangerously aft C.G. condition? Do I need to be considering a Warrior instead of a "real"airplane that isn't a holdover from the 60's.? LOL (A little jab at the certified dinosaurs!) Since getting a ride in a Kitfox and then an RV-6, I really don't want a certified airplane. I am flying a 160 hp Warrior now, but the handling, performance and economy pale in comparison to the homebuilts that I have been around so far. I am thinking of going to the open hangar day to see the cool looking little XL in person, but nothing is nailed down yet.

do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

jpellien

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

The useful load in a Czech factory-built Zenair 601XL SLSA with the Rotax 912S 100 hp engine is 591 lbs. 30 gallons of fuel capacity. With full fuel the usefil load is 411 lbs. With 10 gallons of gas aboard, the useful load is 531 lbs. I weigh 235 and have had a customer who weighs 225 and about 10 lbs baggage in the rear compartment and 15 gallons of fuel, and there were no CG problems I could discern. The W&B was fine.

By the way, this airplane is for sale...9 months old, loaded and only 350 hours flight time. If interested please contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Jim
Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
Sky Bryce Airport - Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818
Jim(at)Pellien.com

--------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

703-851-9375
www.MASPL.com
"Learn-2-Fly-in-1-Week"
pacificpainting(at)comcas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Don't wait to get your weight down. Start building now and you will be down
by the time you/re done.
do not archive

---

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Yep, particularly if you don't stop to eat while you build! It has been working that way for me. The more you work on the airplane, the less time you spend staring into the fridge as if it was a television!

If that doesn't work, don't allow yourself to fly until you hit your target weight.

Ed

---- Dave Ruddiman <pacificpainting(at)comcast.net> wrote:
Quote:

Don't wait to get your weight down. Start building now and you will be down
by the time you/re done.

do not archive

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Yes but the time you have for exercise gets cut drasically...I found I
had to be enrolled in an exercise class that forces me to go and work
out twice a week...But I can tell you all I'm thinking about while in
the gym is slamming some more rivets....Smile

Frank
HDS 400hours..Sold
RV7a final details and paint wings...And fly

Do not archive
Yep, particularly if you don't stop to eat while you build! It has been
working that way for me. The more you work on the airplane, the less
time you spend staring into the fridge as if it was a television!

If that doesn't work, don't allow yourself to fly until you hit your
target weight.

Ed

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Don't want to start a health clinic, but I've been running 2-miles every
other day before breakfast.
It slows the metabolism a bit and gives you the endurance for going
strong without building an appetite.
When I'm pairing off weight, I have to run every day, which does slow
you down after about 8 weeks.
Seems running first thing also keeps your focus sharp later in the day
which is important for a builder.

If you really need energy and want to loose weight, go on a fruit diet
where you only eat fruit for breakfast
and lunch and anything you want after 1:00 p.m. I went from 235 to 185
that way about 10 years ago.
That diet will give you excess energy all day and your weight loss will
be slow and steady.

Your mileage may vary,
Larry McFarland - 601HDS - stripping and repriming, great fun!
do not archive
Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

Quote:

Frank
HDS 400hours..Sold

Do not archive

target weight.

Ed

gboothe(at)calply.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

I find 15 cups of coffee and a handful of donuts keeps me going just fine.

Gary Boothe
Cool, CA
601 HDSTD, WW Conversion
Tail done, working on wings....
DEFINITELY DO NOT ARCHIVE
..I've been running 2-miles every
other day before breakfast...
It ... gives you the endurance for going
strong without building an appetite....
Your mileage may vary,
Larry McFarland - 601HDS - stripping and repriming, great fun!
do not archive
Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

Quote:

<frank.hinde(at)hp.com>

Quote:

Frank
HDS 400hours..Sold

Do not archive

target weight.

Ed

Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Now, there's a man after my own heart! 

Not sure who said it, but it is told that everyone, at birth, is given a finite number of heartbeats.  You guys out there running and such nonsense are just "wasting heartbeats"!  (I do walk; and get in my squats and bend-overs on the XL)

Jay in Dallas
Do not archive

pacificpainting(at)comcas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Or, as my 57 year old brother that is really good condition would say, "I'll be the best looking corpse at the funeral parlor.

do not archive

[quote] ---

randy(at)shadycreekoutlaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

If any of you guys sees me out there running up and down the road...STOP and help me!  1 of 2 bad things have happened:  Either I'm out of gas, or if you look just behind me, something really big and mean will be chasing me!

Randy
XL Wings - Plans Only
http://www.n344rb.com

Do Not Archive

---

gboothe(at)calply.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Figured I’d start running when I saw a runner smiling…

Gary Boothe
Cool, CA
601 HDSTD, WW Conversion
Tail done, working on wings....

Donut archive, I mean Do Not Archive

If any of you guys sees me out there running up and down the road...STOP and help me!  1 of 2 bad things have happened:  Either I'm out of gas, or if you look just behind me, something really big and mean will be chasing me!

Randy

XL Wings - Plans Only

http://www.n344rb.com

Do Not Archive

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure who said it, but it is told that everyone, at birth, is given a finite number of heartbeats.  You guys out there running and such nonsense are just "wasting heartbeats"!  (I do walk; and get in my squats and bend-overs on the XL)

Jay in Dallas
Do not archive

lgingell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

My XL/Jab3300 was about 712lbs. With full fuel, and me, I'm right at the forward CG.

I'm 120lbs. I drink beer and eat as much as possible, but can't put on weight. Please take pity on my and my C.G. problems Wink

I've since painted and added some wheel paints. I'll weigh-in again soon.

Cheers,
..lance, Mr nose-heavy-light-bloke.

hrs1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Jaybannist(at)cs.com wrote:
Quote:

Not sure who said it, but it is told that everyone, at birth, is given
a finite number of heartbeats. You guys out there running and such
nonsense are just "wasting heartbeats"! (I do walk; and get in my
squats and bend-overs on the XL)

Jay in Dallas
Do not archive
Neil Armstrong said it. Robert Schoenberger 701 do not archive

admin(at)arachnidrobotics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

I'm not sure who said it either, but I'm guessing he came up with it in front of a TV Dinner and a 6-pack.  If we're given a finite number of heart beats, I should have died long ago.  lol Between three sports a year from grade school through high school and College wrestling and football through four years of college, I think I've used 'em up!  Funny, but I'm still going strong!   : ) 

Keep up the exercise guys, and we'll be the 95 year olds walking past the 65 year old guys in the 'lil rascals scooters on oxygen.  Work, it does a body good...
 DEFINITELY do not archive

Jaybannist(at)cs.com wrote:
Quote:

Jay in Dallas
Do not archive

2thesky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

You guys are all sick! I post a question about airplanes, my favorite...uh-hum...second favorite thing, and you guys start talking about EXERCISE?!?!?!? THe reason I have hobbies is to keep me from doing such horrific things. Come to think of it, though, I have been doing lots of 12 ounce curls. Running? Only if Krispy Kreme is getting ready to close or there is a bus load of people headed for the buffet! I have heard of a "runners high" that they get after running a couple of miles. I get the same thing out of a flight of stairs. I tell folks that the reason for my large middle is that I need a low center of gravity for my job, or that when you have a tool like mine, you got to build a shed over it. Smile

Definitely do not archive

zodierocket(at)hsfx.ca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Gents if you happen to see me running down the road, it is due to the fact that my wife just found out how much I spent on the instrument panel ! Don’t stop ! Just back up and run me over ! It will be a more humane death then at the hands of a woman wanting a hot tub but lost over the planes panel!

Mark Townsend
Can-Zac Aviation Ltd.
president(at)can-zacaviation.com (president(at)can-zacaviation.com)
www.can-zacaviation.com
do not archive

--

n4546v(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

"It will be a more humane death then at the hands of a woman wanting a hot tub but lost"

A really grave error has been committed here, a stark choice of where money is to be distributed.  The mistake is common, it happens often.  I learned long ago what is the right choice.  I am involved with several airplanes, but I fully understand the path that should be followed.  To do otherwise is to try to alter a basic fact of the universe.  I'm as cheap as anyone when it comes to most things.  I shop hard and try to stretch my dollars as far as possible.  Airplanes are a driving force in my life, but I don't assume to deny THE driving force.  Alas, even aviation takes a back seat to this undeniable force that drives us all.  One place I have never been miserly, the one area where money should never be spared and should take precedence over all other investments is this:

I have never spared any expense, in any area, for any thing, that encourages women to take their clothes off.

A hot tub is one of the best investments in this endeavor.  I bought one years ago and the investment has paid off handsomely.  Small investments in this direction, allow huge aviation investments to flow.

Please forgive me,
I couldn't resist,

Randy L. Thwing, Las Vegas

do not archive

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

You're in Las Vegas and you have to spend money on a hot tub to get women to disrobe? Hmmm....... something is amiss here.

Ed Moody II

---- "Randy L. Thwing" <n4546v(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
Quote:
I have never spared any expense, in any area, for any thing, that encourages women to take their clothes off.

A hot tub is one of the best investments in this endeavor.

Quote:
do not archive

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

Tell her that the instruments allow you to divert your attention to her inflight.

Ed Moody II

---- Zodie Rocket <zodierocket(at)hsfx.ca> wrote:
Quote:
Gents if you happen to see me running down the road, it is due to the
fact that my wife just found out how much I spent on the instrument
panel ! Don’t stop ! Just back up and run me over ! It will be a more
humane death then at the hands of a woman wanting a hot tub but lost
over the planes panel!

n4546v(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: A couple of 601XL Questions Reply with quote

My mistake, I used the term "Women". I meant "Wives".

Women in Las Vegas are like Women everywhere else; Money talks and poor,
homely clods like me walk.

Do not archive.

Randy L. Thwing
Quote:

You're in Las Vegas and you have to spend money on a hot tub to get women
to disrobe? Hmmm....... something is amiss here.

Quote:

Ed Moody II

---- "Randy L. Thwing" <n4546v(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
> I have never spared any expense, in any area, for any thing, that
encourages women to take their clothes off.

Quote:
>
> A hot tub is one of the best investments in this endeavor.

> do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: