Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: 3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements? Reply with quote

Hi all,

After reading the tips on the Jabiru US site for cold weather starting, it appears that the recommendation is to blow warm air across the carbs with a small (1100W) heater to ease winter starting. Seems reasonable enough.
One thought that crossed my mind, however, is what other winter precautions I would need to take should I choose this engine.

The item that triggered these thoughts was a read through a white paper that Tanis Aircraft had put together related to how bad cold starting is on an aircraft engine. Now, they may have made it seem like winter is deadly for aircraft engines for purposes of selling engine heating components. But it did make me wonder.

So, for those more experienced than me (which is pretty much everyone), do I need to take extra precautions to ensure a thoroughly warmed engine for cold weather flying living up here in the cold Wisconsin winters? Is putting a Tanis heater on this engine necessary (not that Tanis actually has a kit specifically for this engine, mind you).

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Best regards,
Chris

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: 3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements? Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
    It seems strange to be talking about cold weather procedures when it was 94 here in Virginia today.  But to provide some input to your question, I am sure it does not get as cold here as up in Wisconsin, but what I normally do in put two 100 watt light bulbs under the cowl near the bottom of the engine.  I also plug the inlets and put a big blanket over the cowl to keep the heat in.  We sometimes get temps in the low teens and this procedure seems to keep the engine compartment about 40 degrees above ambient temp in my hangar.  Don't know if that would be the case in WI.  I have used this procedure during the winter months for over ten years, first on my Bonanza, and now with my Jabiru 3300 powered Esqual.
Blue Skies,
Buz

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

xl(at)prosody.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: 3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements? Reply with quote

I'm in Seattle, so I don't have much subfreezing starting experience.
When it is below ~45F I do preheat. I also richened the idle mixture
based on the Jabiru tech tips. If I don't richen the mixture and
preheat I may not get it started before the battery runs down.
If you can't get it started right away it probably won't start.
I had to jump start once and switch to a charged battery before
I started preheating.

You'll need some sort of heater below 40-50F.
My plane is parked on the tarmac, no hanger. I don't have electricity
available. I use a length of aluminum dryer vent and a propane torch.
I shove the vent into the lower cowl and point the torch into it.
The colder it is the longer I wait. Usually the preflight prep time is
long enough for the carbs and manifold to get warm enough. This method
would probably take too long if the OAT was below 20F - unless I used
more torches.

Even if it will start, preheating is easier on the engine and battery.
It may be cheaper to heat the engine externally than to run it to get
the oil temp above 100F.

Joe E
N633Z (at) BFI
CH601XL, Jabiru 3300, 360 hours
http://www.cleanh2o.com/633z/

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements? Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for your input on the subject. Another question with good answers tucked away in the ol' memory banks for future use.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 3300 Winter Engine Warming Requirements? Reply with quote

Allow me to add my two cents worth.....

1.) I firmly believe in preheat when the temps are below 40 F. If it is really cold (20 F and below), I need a good reason to go flying.
2.) Use multigrade oil, at least in the winter.
3.) If you chose to leave your preheat on all the time (light bulbs, Tanis, etc.) plan to fly the plane regularly. Oil films degrade over time if you don't fly it. A heated engine block will contain moisture, which is more rust enhancing that one that is at below freezing temperatures. A friend of mine just overhauled a Continental 0-470 (230 hp) because his commercial preheater had kept the engine warm enough to rust up the camshaft as it sat all winter.
4.) If you preheat just before you fly, give it enough time to warm the engine thoroughly. Plug the holes in the cowl and throw an old sleeping bag over it. Be careful if you use something that produces a flame. Remember, you don't need the engine to be hot....temps of around 50 or so are fine.

Flying advice -
1.) once started, let it warm up a bit......I like to see the needle at the bottom of the green on the CHT gauge before I take off. The engine should respond smoothly to throttle changes.
2.) Avoid long reduced power descents. Start coming down earlier and keep more power on to keep the engine warm.
3.) If oil temps are low you might consider blocking off oil coolers, or other mods to keep the engine warmer.

What do I do to preheat?
I've used both commercial preheaters (freestanding and installed), light bulbs and etc. What I've finally settled on is cheap and easy to use. I haven't finished the XL yet but I'm sure I will use it there as well. For me, I believe it is better to preheat before flight than to leave a unit on all the time.

Using parts from home depot, I attached a length of aluminum dryer hose to the front of an electric "milk house heater." I insert the hose into the opening in the bottom of the cowling, plug the holes and drape an old sleeping bag over the cowl. After I turn it on I go get a cup of coffee and give it about an hour (depending upon temperatures) and everything is toasty. The engine usually starts up like it's a summer day.

Now.... the above is just my opinion, developed after flying thru more than 30 winters. It is certainly not the last word on the subject.

BTW....for all you guys in the south, winter flying is great! If anyone wants a pic of my "Milk house / plane heater" please email me off list.

Tim Juhl

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: