Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Hi

After a lot of thought I decided to order a *new* engine built from a Lycoming IO-540 kit by Aerosport Power located in Kamloops British Columbia Canada. As a Lycoming distributor they still have access to these kits.

I originally planned to get another engine from Barret Precision Engines (Tulsa Ok) which is where I got my first engine. They are great people BTW.
I went with Aerosport as the thought of a *new* engine was just too attractive.

An option that Aerosport provides is a "builder school" . Here you work one on one with one of their techs and assemble an engine from a large pile o' parts. When I inquired about the school they said you can do as much (or little) as you wanted.

I went to "school" on Monday am and was able to assemble 95% of the engine with the expert guidance of one of their techs (Simon). The crank was bolted to an engine stand and the con rods were installed. By lunch we had installed the bearings, crank & cam in the case, installed lifters, nose seal and mated the case. I was amazed at how tight the case through bolts were (necessary to prevent fretting). I large hammer (maul?) was used to drive them into place.

The assembled case was reattached to the engine stand. Then, after lunch the jugs were installed. This was a complete non event. Lots of LubriPlate and the correct tool to compress the rings and they simply slid into place.

Push rod tubes were installed along with the accessory case and cold air induction air box.

The next day he engine was completed. This included the push rods / rockers / injectors / fuel block / induction tubes etc.

Day three involved installing the engine on a test stand. This was fairly complex as I am using the SDS EFI/EI. There was a ton of wiring to install but it all went quite smoothly. At the end of the day the first two engine ruins were performed. The engine started quickly. I expected a cloud of black smoke based on all the assembly lubricant used but I only got a small initial puff of white smoke. The engine started in 2 or three seconds was smooth and strong.

On the morning of day 4 the final two engine runs were performed. After that the engine was removed from the test truck and prepped for palletization. This included installing by accessories (Denso alternator / 90 degree oil adapter / backup alternator etc).

The engine was put on a pallet and then crated. Today I drove home with the engine.

There were a few gotchas that Aerosport handled with ease.

1. I was using Barret's Cold Air Induction system on the engine (Barret was quite happy to sell it to me without an attached engine!). At the end of day 1, when torqueing one of the studs, it started to pull out. I spoke to another of the techs (Rob) who said no problem. I pulled the box and he installed a helicoil and that was that.

2. The Barret CAI system was new to Aerosport. They didn't realize that the induction tubes needed welding to the flange adapters. No problem - they had a local welder come in the next day and he did a very nice job.

3. The CAI system required induction tube flanges with deeper recesses than the flanges that came with the engine kit. Darryl found the required flanges and had them painted in very short order.

What I really liked is that everyone involved in my engine (even peripherally) were very approachable. For example, the chap (Stephen) who painted my engine and flywheel asked if I really wanted to leave my CAI system in green (I said I did). He then pointed out that the green was zinc chromium and was not really *paint*. Based on his recommendation I asked him to paint it – I was in Ferrari red by the next day. He could have easily just shrugged and walked away but he made sure I knew the implications of what I asked for. I really appreciated that.

I more or less had the run of the shop and was free to chat with everyone there. At no time did I feel limited. All my questions were answered and at no time did I feel rushed. As I was hands on all through the process I really learned a lot about the engine and how it operates. Based on the course, I would have no problem swapping a jug (provided I had the right tools).

I would also like to give a shout out to B&C. I had purchased a standby alternator that I planned to install at Aerosport. During the install it became apparent something was amiss. I spoke to TJ at B&C who con firmed there was a problem with the alternator supplied. Less than 24 hours later FedEx had delivered a replacement. Things can and will go sideways at times. A measure of a company is how they deal with these situations. B&C could not have been better.

Another shout out should go to Ross and Barry at SDSEFI. Their Electronic Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition system is a work of art and performed flawlessly. I look forward to flying behind it.

To close on the school, the only things I did not do was install the nose seal, silk thread the case halves and adjust the push rod lengths. Each of these operations I wanted to be done by the most expert of hands. I did pretty much everything else. During this, Simon was great at gently pointing out my mistakes so I could correct them.

In short, the build school was well worth the price of admission. The Aerosport people were all very pleasant, approachable and knowledgeable.

Pix of my Aerosport go fast engine is attached!

Cheers

Les

C-GROK (Some assembly required)
C-GCWZ (Flying and for sale)

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Engine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.34 KB
 Viewed:  17236 Time(s)

Engine.jpg

tomhanaway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Neat experience. I have an io-375 from Aerosport. Found them great to
deal with. One thing to check based on the picture. I believe Lycoming
has a SB out stating that the fuel lines to the injectors should be supported
with Adel clamps.
Regards,
Tom Hanaway
Rv-10 built and sold
Rv-8a flying

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

partner14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Well done Les. Thanks for the info. I also have noted that the Aerosprt Power people have always been super.... questions, problems etc. So les, exactly how much HP does this beast produce?  What mods did they make to get it to produce that HP.
Thanks again for the write up.
Don McDonald
1,000 hours and counting.
Still as fun as it was on the first flight.
On Friday, April 27, 2018, 9:34:40 PM CDT, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: "kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)>

Hi

After a lot of thought I decided to order a *new* engine built from a Lycoming IO-540 kit by Aerosport Power located in Kamloops British Columbia Canada. As a Lycoming distributor they still have access to these kits.

I originally planned to get another engine from Barret Precision Engines (Tulsa Ok) which is where I got my first engine. They are great people BTW.

I went with Aerosport as the thought of a *new* engine was just too attractive.

An option that Aerosport provides is a "builder school" . Here you work one on one with one of their techs and assemble an engine from a large pile o' parts. When I inquired about the school they said you can do as much (or little) as you wanted.

I went to "school" on Monday am and was able to assemble 95% of the engine with the expert guidance of one of their techs (Simon). The crank was bolted to an engine stand and the con rods were installed. By lunch we had installed the bearings, crank & cam in the case, installed lifters, nose seal and mated the case. I was amazed at how tight the case through bolts were (necessary to prevent fretting). I large hammer (maul?) was used to drive them into place. 

The assembled case was reattached to the engine stand. Then, after lunch the jugs were installed. This was a complete non event. Lots of LubriPlate and the correct tool to compress the rings and they simply slid into place.

Push rod tubes were installed along with the accessory case and cold air induction air box.

The next day he engine was completed. This included the push rods / rockers / injectors / fuel block / induction tubes etc.

Day three involved installing the engine on a test stand. This was fairly complex as I am using the SDS EFI/EI. There was a ton of wiring to install but it all went quite smoothly. At the end of the day the first two engine ruins were performed. The engine started quickly. I expected a cloud of black smoke based on all the assembly lubricant used but I only got a small initial puff of white smoke. The engine started in 2 or three seconds was smooth and strong.

On the morning of day 4 the final two engine runs were performed. After that the engine was removed from the test truck and prepped for palletization. This included installing by accessories (Denso alternator / 90 degree oil adapter / backup alternator etc).

The engine was put on a pallet and then crated. Today I drove home with the engine.

There were a few gotchas that Aerosport handled with ease.

1. I was using Barret's Cold Air Induction system on the engine (Barret was quite happy to sell it to me without an attached engine!). At the end of day 1, when torqueing one of the studs, it started to pull out. I spoke to another of the techs (Rob) who said no problem. I pulled the box and he installed a helicoil and that was that.

2. The Barret CAI system was new to Aerosport. They didn't realize that the induction tubes needed welding to the flange adapters. No problem - they had a local welder come in the next day and he did a very nice job.

3. The CAI system required induction tube flanges with deeper recesses than the flanges that came with the engine kit. Darryl found the required flanges and had them painted in very short order.

What I really liked is that everyone involved in my engine (even peripherally) were very approachable. For example, the chap (Stephen) who painted my engine and flywheel asked if I really wanted to leave my CAI system in green (I said I did). He then pointed out that the green was zinc chromium and was not really *paint*. Based on his recommendation I asked him to paint it – I was in Ferrari red by the next day. He could have easily just shrugged and walked away but he made sure I knew the implications of what I asked for. I really appreciated that.

I  more or less had the run of the shop and was free to chat with everyone there. At no time did I feel limited. All my questions were answered and at no time did I feel rushed. As I was hands on all through the process I really learned a lot about the engine and how it operates. Based on the course, I would have no problem swapping a jug (provided I had the right tools).

I would also like to give a shout out to B&C. I had purchased a standby alternator that I planned to install at Aerosport. During the install it became apparent something was amiss. I spoke to TJ at B&C who con firmed there was a problem with the alternator supplied. Less than 24 hours later FedEx had delivered a replacement. Things can and will go sideways at times. A measure of a company is how they deal with these situations. B&C could not have been better.

Another shout out should go to Ross and Barry at SDSEFI. Their Electronic Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition system is a work of art and performed flawlessly. I look forward to flying behind it.

To close on the school, the only things I did not do was install the nose seal, silk thread the case halves and adjust the push rod lengths. Each of these operations I wanted to be done by the most expert of hands. I did pretty much everything else. During this, Simon was great at gently pointing out my mistakes so I could correct them.

In short, the build school was well worth the price of admission. The Aerosport people were all very pleasant, approachable and knowledgeable.

Pix of my Aerosport go fast engine is attached!

Cheers

Les

C-GROK (Some assembly required)

C-GCWZ (Flying and for sale)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479619#479619

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/engine_186.jpg

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,

http:====================

http://forums.matronics.com

http://www.matronics.==

kearney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Tim

I agree on the injector lines. All of that will happen when the engine is installed. I want to change a couple of the lengths so things are a bit neater.

Cheers

Les

kearney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Don

My flying -10 has the same engine (9:1 pistons & cold air induction). It dyn o'd out at 287 HP. Ross's customers report an 10-12 HP boost with EFI/EI. That brings me up to about 300 HP.

That is what is on the data plate.

Cheers

Les

Kellym

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Just curious if folks with higher than stock 8.5:1 compression have a
plan IF 100LL goes away and its replacement doesn't prove to have as
much octane. We know the stock compression will run on 91 octane mogas
or 94UL gas. Don't know what octane 9:1 takes.
I tend to doubt that EI or EFI add significant amount to full power.
Their main benefit is what they do to improve power in cruise and high
altitude conditions. Your take off power timing (and power output) will
be exactly the same as it is with a dinosaur magneto... at 25 degrees
BTDC. There maybe a hair bit better mixture distribution/control with
EFI, but continuous flow manifold fuel injection has proven very good as
long as intake runners are of equal length, which is mostly true for
Lycoming designs. Remember that stock power ratings have a tolerance of
plus or minus 5%. Les's flying engine is a plus 10%, which is mostly
explained by compression and cold air induction.
I assume those with higher power engines are still using the Vans
specified Vne of 200kts TAS (or 230 mph TAS). So far, have not needed
to use the JATO bottles I installed for looks and pilot miscalculations.
Wink)

On 4/28/2018 5:58 AM, kearney wrote:
Quote:

Don

My flying -10 has the same engine (9:1 pistons & cold air induction). It dyn o'd out at 287 HP. Ross's customers report an 10-12 HP boost with EFI/EI. That brings me up to about 300 HP.

Cheers

Les

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479628#479628

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Just to be clear, not only is there a Lycoming Service Bulletin on fuel injection lines and clamps, there are a number of ADs, most recent is
AD 2015-19-07. Clearly something to pay attention to, regardless of where you sit on the E-amateur built vs AD compliance debate.

The service bulletin shows you exactly where Lycoming thinks the clamps should be.

Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 5:51 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)>

Tim

I agree on the injector lines. All of that will happen when the engine is installed. I want to change a couple of the lengths so things are a bit neater.

Cheers

Les

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479627#479627

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

My understanding is that 9:1 is probably good. Any more than that might have some issues. We will wait and see.

I went 9:1 thinking that I was fine for the short term and that, by the time a replacement fuel became widely available, I’d be close to ready for a top overhaul anyway. And at that point I could go back to 8.5’s if it looked like that would be necessary.

At the rate I’m flying this thing, that might come soon. I’m stacking the hours on her. It’s too much fun and too useful. But even 120 hrs in 10 months isn’t nearly enough time in at the controls. I still need more.

- is that addiction?

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Just curious if folks with higher than stock 8.5:1 compression have a plan IF 100LL goes away and its replacement doesn't prove to have as much octane. We know the stock compression will run on 91 octane mogas or 94UL gas. Don't know what octane 9:1 takes.
I tend to doubt that EI or EFI add significant amount to full power. Their main benefit is what they do to improve power in cruise and high altitude conditions. Your take off power timing (and power output) will be exactly the same as it is with a dinosaur magneto... at 25 degrees BTDC. There maybe a hair bit better mixture distribution/control with EFI, but continuous flow manifold fuel injection has proven very good as long as intake runners are of equal length, which is mostly true for Lycoming designs. Remember that stock power ratings have a tolerance of plus or minus 5%. Les's flying engine is a plus 10%, which is mostly explained by compression and cold air induction.
I assume those with higher power engines are still using the Vans specified Vne of 200kts TAS (or 230 mph TAS). So far, have not needed to use the JATO bottles I installed for looks and pilot miscalculations. Wink)

> On 4/28/2018 5:58 AM, kearney wrote:
>
> Don
> My flying -10 has the same engine (9:1 pistons & cold air induction). It dyn o'd out at 287 HP. Ross's customers report an 10-12 HP boost with EFI/EI. That brings me up to about 300 HP.
> That is what is on the data plate.
> Cheers
> Les
> Read this topic online here:
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479628#479628

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

You may be right about time before something has to be done. The angle valve cylinders on the 4 cyl 200 hp engines and 6 cyl 300 hp engines  with 8.7:1 compression all require 100LL, and on the

4 cyl they also retarded the timing to 20 degrees. So I am dubious that you can run 9:1 on anything less than 100LL. Hopefully all 3 fuels being considered will make the

grade and make it in the market to hopefully control pricing.

Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

My understanding is that 9:1 is probably good.  Any more than that might have some issues.   We will wait and see.

I went 9:1 thinking that I was fine for the short term and that, by the time a replacement fuel became widely available, I’d be close to ready for a top overhaul anyway.   And at that point I could go back to 8.5’s if it looked like that would be necessary. 

At the rate I’m flying this thing, that might come soon.   I’m stacking the hours on her.   It’s too much fun and too useful.   But even 120 hrs in 10 months isn’t nearly enough time in at the controls.   I still need more.

- is that addiction?

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 28, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>
>
> Just curious if folks with higher than stock 8.5:1 compression have a plan IF 100LL goes away and its replacement doesn't prove to have as much octane. We know the stock compression will run on 91 octane mogas or 94UL gas. Don't know what octane 9:1 takes.
> I tend to doubt that EI or EFI add significant amount to full power. Their main benefit is what they do to improve power in cruise and high altitude conditions. Your take off power timing (and power output) will be exactly the same as it is with a dinosaur magneto... at 25 degrees BTDC. There maybe a hair bit better mixture distribution/control with EFI, but continuous flow manifold fuel injection has proven very good as long as intake runners are of equal length, which is mostly true for Lycoming designs. Remember that stock power ratings have a tolerance of plus or minus 5%. Les's flying engine is a plus 10%, which is mostly explained by compression and cold air induction.
> I assume those with higher power engines are still using the Vans specified Vne of 200kts TAS (or 230 mph TAS).  So far, have not needed to use the JATO bottles I installed for looks and pilot miscalculations. Wink)
>
>> On 4/28/2018 5:58 AM, kearney wrote:
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)>
>> Don
>> My flying -10 has the same engine (9:1 pistons & cold air induction). It dyn o'd out at 287 HP.  Ross's customers report an 10-12 HP boost with EFI/EI. That brings me up to about 300 HP.
>> That is what is on the data plate.
>> Cheers
>> Les
>> Read this topic online here:
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479628#479628
>
>
>

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

What fuel flows are you typically getting Les, and do you run Lean of Peak?

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 28 Apr 2018, at 22:28, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Don

Cheers

Les

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479628#479628

kearney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Hi Patrick

I don't run LOP as my injectors are not balanced for that. My fuel flow is about 12GPH or a little less.

Cheers

Les

partner14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Get em balanced Les.... pretty easy.... after 1,000 at 2gph, that's an extra 2,000 gallons at $4, gee, that's $8,000. To say nothing of your engine actually burning ALL the fuel, thus creating less carbon buildup on valves, pistons, and rings, plus the oil stays cleaner. Maybe even more important is keeping each cylinder further away from running at the highest ICP (internal combustion pressure).
Don
On Saturday, April 28, 2018, 9:29:24 PM CDT, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Patrick

I don't run LOP as my injectors are not balanced for that. My fuel flow is about 12GPH or a little less.

Cheers

Les

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479671#479671

ht=====================

http://forums.matronics.com

= --> http://www.matronics.==

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Many thanks Les

I don’t normally run LOP either. Fuel is cheaper than metal!

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 29 Apr 2018, at 11:48, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Patrick

Cheers

Les

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479671#479671

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

I run LOP because air is cheaper than fuel. I have seen many engines that were balanced well enough with stock injectors to run comfortably lean of peak.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Many thanks Les

I don’t normally run LOP either. Fuel is cheaper than metal!

Warm regards

Patrick

> On 29 Apr 2018, at 11:48, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi Patrick
>
> I don't run LOP as my injectors are not balanced for that. My fuel flow is about 12GPH or a little less.
>
> Cheers
>
> Les
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=479671#479671
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Very nice story Les, now the question, what price came the engine with
all that nice stuff and what price wa the course?

Cheers Werner

On 28.04.2018 04:23, kearney wrote:
Quote:

Hi

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Ditto. If injectors aren't balanced well enough to run LOP, it isn't
doing the engine any favors running it ROP to cover up the problem.
While fuel savings is nice, consider the other benefits: CHT will be
lower, peak cylinder pressures will be lower, which means blow-by and
oil consumption will be less, carbon and other buildup in engine will be
less, oil stays cleaner, plugs stay cleaner. All of that means less
maintenance required. Not to mention you get more range without having
to add tankage. My trip to OSH last summer averaged 11.3 gph for entire
trip, including take-off, climb, etc. and a couple hours of low level
flying trying to get into OSH under ceilings that were around 500 AGL in
most of southern Wisconsin. Most of flight was at 10-11,500 at 60-65%
power. I typically run 10-30 degrees LOP at 65% or less. I have stock
injection with a pair of Bendix S-1200 magnetos. Probably could go
leaner if I got electronic ignition to replace one of the mags. I
haven't pursued trying to get my injectors better balanced.

Kelly

On 4/29/2018 4:55 AM, Jesse Saint wrote:
Quote:

I run LOP because air is cheaper than fuel. I have seen many engines that were balanced well enough with stock injectors to run comfortably lean of peak.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 29, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>
>
> Many thanks Les
>
> I don’t normally run LOP either. Fuel is cheaper than metal!
>
> Warm regards
>
> Patrick

nukeflyboy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

A little off topic but Don and Kelly are correct. Running LOP is much easier on the engine. CHTs typically drop 30 F when you lean, and that is probably the best measure of engine stress.
Swapping injector orifices is easy. Balance the flow and run LOP. I typically burn 10 gph or less in cruise, depending on altitude.
And air is cheaper than fuel.

Monika Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PIREP : Aerosport Power Builder School Reply with quote

Very interesting discussion. I had never heard of this school before. Where can I watch the curriculum? I would like to familiarize myself and evaluate my capabilities. Of course, I won’t say that some educational difficulties can scare me, because I always have a coursework writing service at hand, but still I want to figure out what they can teach me at this school in order to make the right choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: